• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott / Vistana / Westin merger

TJALB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts International/Sheraton:
Kaanapali Beach Club, HGV-Max
Westin/Ventana/Marriott-Bonvoy:
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas NORTH
You also get Bonvoy Gold elite status.
Any idea what the re-qualification cost would be? Is it based on what/where you own? I own 2 annual WKORVN 2 bedrooms; just in case they base it on the property.
Thanks!

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
$10000 for the first and $5000 for additional weeks, at least it was in January

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
$10000 for the first and $5000 for additional weeks, at least it was in January
I think the requirements may be higher if buying in Hawaii. At least they were back when they were selling weeks.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Any idea what the re-qualification cost would be? Is it based on what/where you own? I own 2 annual WKORVN 2 bedrooms; just in case they base it on the property.
Thanks!
We just did out update a week ago. It was 10k per week.

Grandma2016

Reaction score
Also attended owners update this week. No new information on the merge. But they mentioned multiple times inventory was low. Maybe that’s deeds. Honestly they had nothing to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats how I felt....not much to sell.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Also attended owners update this week. No new information on the merge. But they mentioned multiple times inventory was low. Maybe that’s deeds. Honestly they had nothing to sell
Thats how I felt....not much to sell.

Maybe that's why I was able to stay ten days at WRF and not once was asked to attend a presentation!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Just attended a presentation today at WKV. Zero and I mean zero pressure. No updates really on any integration other than them saying Bonvoy Titanium to the top level 5* owners. Outside of that, the main pitch was instead of buying WKV resale, buy two SDO True Plat and then come in with $15K in new money for Sheraton Flex. This way you end up spending only about $20K and you get 148.1K X 2 in StarOptions plus the options you get from the developer purchase. Of course the WKV Plat Plus would be able to be resold for about $15K. Not so much for the $15K in Flex.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Just attended a presentation today at WKV. Zero and I mean zero pressure. No updates really on any integration other than them saying Bonvoy Titanium to the top level 5* owners. Outside of that, the main pitch was instead of buying WKV resale, buy two SDO True Plat and then come in with $15K in new money for Sheraton Flex. This way you end up spending only about $20K and you get 148.1K X 2 in StarOptions plus the options you get from the developer purchase. Of course the WKV Plat Plus would be able to be resold for about $15K. Not so much for the $15K in Flex.

We have found WKV to be low pressure and professional. I also find the sales staff there know their stuff. I find it interesting and surprising that inventory overall is low. It is true that there are no new resorts so inventory is finite. Maybe this is a sign an integration announcement is near?

5* to Titanium would be a nice upgrade.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We have found WKV to be low pressure and professional. I also find the sales staff there know their stuff. I find it interesting and surprising that inventory overall is low. It is true that there are no new resorts so inventory is finite. Maybe this is a sign an integration announcement is near?

5* to Titanium would be a nice upgrade.
Certainly no new resorts in the near future. Vistana did convey a bunch of inventory last September and February to their Flex trusts. I think Sheraton Kauai came online in the trust, so a bunch more Sheraton Flex to feed the trust. I am not sure where Westin Flex inventory is coming from except perhaps deedbacks and foreclosures.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Certainly no new resorts in the near future. Vistana did convey a bunch of inventory last September and February to their Flex trusts. I think Sheraton Kauai came online in the trust, so a bunch more Sheraton Flex to feed the trust. I am not sure where Westin Flex inventory is coming from except perhaps deedbacks and foreclosures.

Those flex conveyances were some time ago and they have been selling points since. At some point the sales well runs pretty dry. I know at places like WKV they can (and are still willing to) sell deeds.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Those flex conveyances were some time ago and they have been selling points since. At some point the sales well runs pretty dry. I know at places like WKV they can (and are still willing to) sell deeds.
Yeah, I think they are banking on a combined trust in 2021. I still haven't found any sign of one being recorded in Orange County Florida.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’ll be interesting what a combined product looks like. Perhaps a trust of trusts?

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It’ll be interesting what a combined product looks like. Perhaps a trust of trusts?
I am not sure if they can do something similar with Westin and Sheraton Flex like they did with their Asia Pacific pacific program where they instilled a permanent recalculation of point values. I don't remember the conversion there, perhaps it was 10:1, but they simply told people who had 40,000 AP points, you now have 4,000 and they also modified the point values in Asia Pacific. AP predates the Marriott DC program.

jwalke11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Westin Adventuras, Westin St. John, Vistana Beach Club, Vistana Resort
You also get Bonvoy Gold elite status.
Has anyone ever actually gotten any benefit from Gold elite Bonvoy status? Other than a few bonus points? I have never been upgraded - not even after I became permanent Titanium status. I finally got some suite nights so I'll have to see if I can actually use those.

jwalke11

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Westin Adventuras, Westin St. John, Vistana Beach Club, Vistana Resort
Not sure. I suspect they stopped new conveyances because of covid. Though they did convey a bunch of Westin flex in September. There could be plans to stand up a new trust. Though I haven't found any recordings in Orange County Florida to indicate one has been created.
A friend of mine who used to sell for Vistana in Orlando said that Marriott had applied for permission to combine the trusts. Don't know if it was approved though or which trusts. Seems it would be hard to do anything with Adventuras unless it is combined with other Mexico properties.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Has anyone ever actually gotten any benefit from Gold elite Bonvoy status? Other than a few bonus points? I have never been upgraded - not even after I became permanent Titanium status. I finally got some suite nights so I'll have to see if I can actually use those.

I use to as SPG Gold - but that faded away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
A friend of mine who used to sell for Vistana in Orlando said that Marriott had applied for permission to combine the trusts. Don't know if it was approved though or which trusts. Seems it would be hard to do anything with Adventuras unless it is combined with other Mexico properties.
Who would they ask for permission? They would need permission from the OWNERS of the trust, and I don’t think they — in some cases that's we – have been asked.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who would they ask for permission? They would need permission from the OWNERS of the trust, and I don’t think they — in some cases that's we – have been asked.
I don’t think they need our permission. Owners aren’t trustees of the trust.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Flex trusts of Vistana being transferred from using VSN to using Destination Club. Marriott needs Vistana resorts easily accessible because from a marketing standpoint they need seamless integration between brands to mirror the integration found with the hotel chains which they license the names from. I also know that they have consistently been telling people that Flex will be the only way to access the new system, and that is what convinced my parents to "upgrade" their purchase to Sheraton Flex. They also need an easy way to get a good volume of inventory exchanging in Destination Club and the only way to get that volume is to get Flex using Destination Club while also making VSN less useful to get Mandatory and legacy weeks owners through inventory starvation to create incentives to upgrade into developer inventory.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

It would be difficult to get much from Marriott Bonvoy Gold status. Under Starwood, SPG Gold status came with some benefits that were actually honored by the hotel properties. Since the merger Marriott has gutted Gold status and doesn't do a very good job holding the hotel properties to honoring the benefits of the Bonvoy program at any level with the exception of Ambassador.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
It would be difficult to get much from Marriott Bonvoy Gold status. Under Starwood, SPG Gold status came with some benefits that were actually honored by the hotel properties. Since the merger Marriott has gutted Gold status and doesn't do a very good job holding the hotel properties to honoring the benefits of the Bonvoy program at any level with the exception of Ambassador.
Gold status is better than nothing, but is also very weak compared to mid tier status with Hilton and Hyatt.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Flex trusts of Vistana being transferred from using VSN to using Destination Club. Marriott needs Vistana resorts easily accessible because from a marketing standpoint they need seamless integration between brands to mirror the integration found with the hotel chains which they license the names from. I also know that they have consistently been telling people that Flex will be the only way to access the new system, and that is what convinced my parents to "upgrade" their purchase to Sheraton Flex. They also need an easy way to get a good volume of inventory exchanging in Destination Club and the only way to get that volume is to get Flex using Destination Club while also making VSN less useful to get Mandatory and legacy weeks owners through inventory starvation to create incentives to upgrade into developer inventory.
What did your parents “upgrade” from?

I think most owners never gave up their highly desired units for flex ownerships. That inventory would still remain in the VSN. Places like WSJ and HRA are currently not in any flex program. I wonder if they are holding their inventory for those resorts for a combined product?

I think the VSN will operate just fine for a few years. I suspect once a combined product rolls out people will want the ability to book both brands and it may turn more people onto giving back what they own to “upgrade”, if that’s something they would have to do.