• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott - View from the Balcony

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So it looks like they overbooked ocean view? Did they offer to compensate you the difference in points?

That room could very well be classified as "ocean view" even if it really isn't due to the vegetation. You may have been able to see the ocean when the resort was built leading to that classification.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That room could very well be classified as "ocean view" even if it really isn't due to the vegetation. You may have been able to see the ocean when the resort was built leading to that classification.
Yeah, from what I understand of the resort, it has some pretty bad OV units.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think that is the case. They tell me the room is designated as Ocean View, but it's hard to justify that now. In any event, glad they volunteered on their own to switch us to a room with a true ocean view. Just hate living out of our suit cases for a couple of days. I'll post pics of the new room view when we are settled there.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think that is the case. They tell me the room is designated as Ocean View, but it's hard to justify that now. In any event, glad they volunteered on their own to switch us to a room with a true ocean view. Just hate living out of our suit cases for a couple of days. I'll post pics of the new room view when we are settled there.
This is why I would not worry about buying or reserving OV at this resort, many of the OV units are not really OV. One should just understand going in that this is the case. Normally they won't move you so at least you had options many have not had.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why I would not worry about buying or reserving OV at this resort, many of the OV units are not really OV. One should just understand going in that this is the case. Normally they won't move you so at least you had options many have not had.
That makes a lot of sense. I have not been to Waiohai here in 9 years. So a lot has changed. It was really disappointing for us as I originally booked Island View to get the dates that I wanted, and when Ocean View opened up, I switched it out thinking it would be nice to have a view while we're here as we are with friends who have never been to Kauai. Would have really felt like I overpaid had they not offered up the mid-stay room change option. We've been told we'll be in Building 1, and should have a really nice view. Fingers crossed. Aside from the view issue, the Villa is immaculate - looks like it was recently renovated - and the staff here has been fantastic.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. I have not been to Waiohai here in 9 years. So a lot has changed. It was really disappointing for us as I originally booked Island View to get the dates that I wanted, and when Ocean View opened up, I switched it out thinking it would be nice to have a view while we're here as we are with friends who have never been to Kauai. Would have really felt like I overpaid had they not offered up the mid-stay room change option. We've been told we'll be in Building 1, and should have a really nice view. Fingers crossed. Aside from the view issue, the Villa is immaculate - looks like it was recently renovated - and the staff here has been fantastic.
Had you been using an owned week, you would have likely had a better view assignment. Points reservations are en exchange even though some would like to think they are not. This just further illustrates the need to investigate view, unit assignments, sleeping capacity, AC or not, extra fees, etc. I think that's especially true for HI and MX. Is there a good beach or even a beach at all even if OF, does the resort routinely give poor views to exchangers, Do they charge an AC fee, are tips expected with daily housekeeping, even is there a risk of being put in an inferior sister resort. I've seen all of these reported BTW. Obviously much of this is more applicable to non MVC resorts than MVC, still the principles hold.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Another Ritz Carlton: St. Thomas.

We were thrilled to check into our fabulously located (6th fl) 2br #1604 a few hours early (coming from the Westin St. John, which bookended our stay in the USVI).

Attachments

• IMG_2677.jpeg
    IMG_2677.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 47

trev

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott KoOlina
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Marriott Mountainside
After a few days at Kaua'i Lagoons, we stayed a week at Waiohai.
Island view, Hale 5, second floor. Per TUG recommendations, we requested an interior facing room overlooking the pool or pond.

20240726_185257.jpg
20240726_185309.jpg

Last edited:

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
only Platinum MVC - Fairway Villas, Newport Coast, Grande Vista, Desert Springs, Summit Watch (x2), Grande Ocean OS (x2), and too many destination points
Views from three different 2br units at the Westin St. John, this July:

Bldg 12, second/top floor (my favorite location of the three)

Bldg 11, ground floor, upon our return from St. Thomas, with a walkout back patio

Bldg 21, ground floor, with seating akin to a front porch area. I felt too exposed, inside and outside of this villa, however we were most grateful to be assigned it just moments after I successfully rebooked our Friday Aug 19 connecting flights home during the CrowdStrike fiasco.

I finally completed the change after a hour long wait on United’s chat feature, just as our morning airport ferry was departing, and wound up boarding just to pull our bags off. Not only did we avoid airport headaches that day, but the Westin kindly welcomed us back with an early checkin into a room larger than that booked, for two extra of snorkeling before an uneventful direct flight home on Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpeg
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2912.jpeg
    IMG_2912.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2913.jpeg
    IMG_2913.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 39

Fi2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Manor Club (Sequel) 1br in July.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 35

trev

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott KoOlina
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Marriott Mountainside
Any photos of Kauai Lagoons? How did it compare?
Yes, about 10 posts back I posted photos from our stay there. It was fabulous; we had a first floor walkout balcony with island view, although we had a great view of the ocean (which was unexpected due to the ground floor - island view combination).

Lagoons also has free bikes for use that we rode around the golf course and small service road near the airport where stopped and watched a few planes land. I was concerned about the reports of a very small pool at Lagoons, but it was a good size and even had a little water slide that our kids enjoyed.

We loved both resorts but think Lagoons was of favorite. We will definitely stay longer at Lagoons next visit!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

shaxs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Grand Chateau 2 Bedroom Lock-off
From 4th floor balcony at Los Suenos. I'm in one of the units close to the end (second to the end) where the view is mostly trees.
Hah we posted at about the same time. We were there August 13-18th.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked into one of our favorites: Marriott's Boston Custom House. We are here for two nights on points plus one week on an II trade. After years of requests, we finally were assigned to one of the two coveted Eagle Suites on the 21st floor for our first two nights. Unlike the rooms on the first 19 floors, this room does have a balcony. You can see from the picture, how the suite gets its name!

IMG_6800.jpg

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked into one of our favorites: Marriott's Boston Custom House. We are here for two nights on points plus one week on an II trade. After years of requests, we finally were assigned to one of the two coveted Eagle Suites on the 21st floor for our first two nights. Unlike the rooms on the first 19 floors, this room does have a balcony. You can see from the picture, how the suite gets its name!

View attachment 98583
What an outstanding view of the City of Boston.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
Quote: Unlike the rooms on the first 19 floors, this room does have a balcony. You can see from the picture, how the suite gets its name!

IMG_6800.jpg

Awesome! I didn't even know these rooms existed! I wanna go back to Boston!