• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
Good evening,
I'm considering by a deed week (week 7) at Marriott Streamside.
Any feedback on the property? we do love snowboarding but we never been to that particular property or area.
Seems like week floats 1-14 and 50-52 so pretty much will cover all the good winter week.
I read is a very old property and scare about special assessment or any other problem.
thanks

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've got long history at StreamSide, which would take days to reveal, so I'll try my best to provide you with a synopsis.

First, a question, do you really want to be in Vail? Marriott has several mountain resorts, three of which were built by Marriott from the ground up (SummitWatch and Mountainside at Park City, and Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe). We love Vail, and we love Park City. For us, Park City is easier to get to, and both Marriott resorts are typical, built by Marriott resorts (in my opinion, a big advantage over StreamSide). Both, Marriott's StreamSide at Vail and Mountain Valley Lodge (Breckenridge) were built by developers other than Marriott, with the exception of the Evergreen Building at StreamSide, which was built by Marriott. So, in my opinion, if you want a mountain experience, you need to pick which mountain resort you want to establish as your Home Resort.

Regarding StreamSide, StreamSide has an eclectic history. The original StreamSide resort was built by a developer other than Marriott, as a purposefully built timeshare resort. The three original buildings were Aspen, Birch and Cedar. If my memory is right, the previous developer started building the Douglas building, than Marriott took the resort over, and I believe completed the Douglas building, and built the Evergreen building, from the ground up.

For quite a long time, Marriott managed the entire StreamSide at Vail resort. In my opinion, there were always factions at StreamSide; there were the original StreamSide timeshare owners, some of whom welcomed Marriott, and some who did not. Then came Marriott, who attracted Marriott buyers, with Marriott expectations, which were not consistent with the expectations of many of the original StreamSide owners. In later years, the Aspen and Cedar buildings ended their management contract with Marriott, are are now managed by another management company, and the Birch, Douglas and Evergreen buildings are managed by Marriott. The Birch building has fixed timeshare weeks, the Douglas building has a mix of floating and fixed weeks, and the Evergreen building has all floating weeks (I've forgotten, there may be some fixed, holiday weeks in Evergreen, I don't remember, but I don't think so). So, in my opinion, in the case of StreamSide, you'd have to pick your medicine or your poison. Personally, I think Vail is a fabulous vacation destination, I am not particularly fond of StreamSide at Vail (for a variety of reasons), with two different management companies, common amenities, and an ambiance that I do not believe is classic Marriott. BUT, if you want to be in Vail, StreamSide may be just what you are looking for.

Of all of Marriott's mountain resorts, SummitWatch in Park City is our favorite. It offers a mix of in-town and mountainside experiences, it is of Marriott quality from head to toe, and the location provides you with direct access to the Park City Mountain Resort, and easy access to Deer Valley and the Canyons.

Mountain Valley Lodge and TimberLodge each have their own attributes, with TimberLodge having been built by Marriott. One of the beauties of owning with Marriott is you have an ability to exchange between resorts, BUT, you should probably try to understand the distinctions between ownership of Marriott's legacy timeshare products, and their newer destination club (points) product.

I've tried to touch on what I believe to be the most relevant points about StreamSide at Vail. I trust that others will add their perspective, and correct and errors or omissions that I may have mistakenly made.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick response generally about SKIING Vail which offers a truly world class ski experience.
Lake Tahoe simply doesn't compare, and breckenridge (mountain valley lodge) although it offers access to Vail, beaver creek etc within driving distance also but Vail is some way ahead of Breckenridge IMO.
Park City I'm still trying to decide on personally, but if it means anything I went to Park City last year, and am already booked to return in 2017 and 2018.

All of the above is from the perspective of a Europe Based Skier who skis regularly throughout Europe and has skied all of these locations in the US for only around one week in each.

My current feeling is that Vail is best purely for skiing (beaver creek a wonderfully well kept secret) Park City offers the optimum mix of town life and skiing, and that Heavenly in Lake Tahoe (Timber Lodge) is ultimately too limited as a 'home resort' by comparison to the others mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

ondeadlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vail is singular. There is that.

I'm a former Streamside owner and have continued to stay at the property from time to time, most recently using a II bonus week to nab an April ski week in 2015.

It's a decidedly mid-tier timeshare property, kinda dated, but kept in good condition. The problem is the maintenance fees. They vary from crazy high (Birch building) to just very high (all the other buildings). I've seen floating ski weeks in the Douglas building go for under $100 on eBay because the fees are so high.

And the fees are often misrepresented by resale brokers IMO. Do not ever consider buying a week here until you call the property and confirm what the fees are.

Overall? I would never buy there. The fees are just too high. I'd spend more money to buy a better property somewhere else in the system and trade into Vail from time to time.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue with Streamside is that you need to take a bus or car to Vail or to Beaver Creek. On the other hand, the Marriotts in Breckenridge, Heavenly, and Park City are ski in/out or walk to lifts. This makes a huge difference for me.

I would disagree with the other poster, Vail is very good skiing but not necessarily better than Lake Tahoe, Park City, and Breckenridge. In fact, as an expert skier, I would assert that Vail is good but not great. I think that Vail is probably great for intermediate to advanced skiers.

I like good accommodations when I ski, and I would not favor Streamside when compared to many other options including Marriott Timber Lodge, Marriott Summit Watch and Mountainside, Snowbird Cliff Lodge, Grand Lodge at Peak 7 (Breckenridge), Hyatt Main Street Station and Hyatt Mountain Lodge to name just a few.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Powderday

Reaction score
Streamside has a shuttle that runs to Lionshead every 15 minutes from 8am-10am, then on the half hour until 2pm, then again every 15 minutes until 5pm. In the evening it runs to Lionshead and Vail Village on the half hour. Less than a 10 minute shuttle to Lionshead, runs to the grocery store on request. Not a problem getting around Vail from Streamside.

IMHO Evergreen is the nicest of the three Marriott Streamside properties, Evergreen rooms are Marriott Quality. Think Snow!

Last edited:

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
Thanks, very useful informations, the unit I was considering was in Douglas building and his a 1 bedroom with loft sleeping 8. Deed as week 7 and floating 1-14 and 50-52. It's only myself my wife and daughter, so it was the perfect set up , but was skeptical about maintenance fee $1562 and asking price $4500, what you think overall.
Thanks again for your time and recommendations.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, very useful informations, the unit I was considering was in Douglas building and his a 1 bedroom with loft sleeping 8. Deed as week 7 and floating 1-14 and 50-52. It's only myself my wife and daughter, so it was the perfect set up , but was skeptical about maintenance fee $1562 and asking price $4500, what you think overall.
Thanks again for your time and recommendations.

Have you seen the current state of the Douglas Building and StreamSide? I have not, but given StreamSide's history, I sure would want to.

I like that season in Douglas, 1-14, and 50-52; I'd be curious to know what Douglas owner's success rate is reserving the prime ski weeks of their choice.

For a one-bedroom loft (I believe Interval International treats one-bedroom lofts, as one-bedroom villas (not two-bedroom villas), on exchanges, and does not take the additional sleeping capacity of a one-bedroom loft into consideration), I believe that maintenance fee is high (for a one-bedroom villa, but not as high as Marriott's Custom House). If my memory of how Interval International treats the Douglas one-bedroom LOFT is accurate, that means that when you make exchanges into two-bedroom, lock-off resorts, you are entitled to a one-bedroom villa (even, despite the loft's additional sleeping capacity (Interval, historically, has not treated the loft as a second bedroom), not a two-bedroom villa. However, the ability to upgrade to a larger villa with Interval International (at lock-off resorts) may now be possible (based on availability), by paying Interval International an additional fee.

On the plus side, it's Vail, and it's Marriott. On the downside, StreamSide is an older resort, with two management companies - - not one - - and in the case of the Aspen and Cedar buildings, a once aged owner base, that historically had very mixed emotions about living up to Marriott quality standards. As former Marriott StreamSide owners, I can tell you that we had many great ski vacations at Marriott's StreamSide at Vail.

I can't speak to the issue of price to purchase the week. If my memory is right, although the unit is deeded to Week Seven, you do not have guaranteed access to Week Seven every year, you have access to a season, from which you have the ability to reserve a week in that season every year.

I'd be sure to go into this potential purchase as a very informed consumer. If Marriott has a real estate broker on-site, I'd be working with that person.

Last edited:

Powderday

Reaction score
Might want to consider renting a week to see how you like it. Always be another week for sale.

I believe Douglas recently refurbished, Evergreen is refurbishing either next year or the year after.

If you're considering Park City, Deer Valley will make you put two boards on your feet to play on their mountain. Think Snow!

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
Thanks, very useful info .... I'm as well slightly concern about it, especially the high maintenance fees and old look... I think will keep looking around for the right resale opportunity .....thanks you very much again

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, very useful info .... I'm as well slightly concern about it, especially the high maintenance fees and old look... I think will keep looking around for the right resale opportunity .....thanks you very much again

Personal bias, influenced by lots of factors: (1) Ease of flying into and out of Salt Lake City (during the winter SLC (airport) is very good at managing snow), (2) ease of getting to multiple mountain resorts from SLC, (3) great skiing options and a variety of resorts in close proximity to SummitWatch - Park City Mountain Resort, Deer Valley, and the Canyons (and "resident" special price bundles of lift tickets for Park City timeshare owners), (4) fabulous downtown experience, (4) very good history of snowfall, (5) "other canyon" skiing options, Solitude, Brighton, Alta, Snowbird and SnowBasin, (6) SummitWatch is built by Marriott, and a fabulous property (some (not so good) history of issues with retail tenants, etc., and (7) flexibility of a two-bedroom LOCK-OFF. If it were me, I'd look for a SummitWatch, Platinum Season week (remember that weeks 51, 52, and 7 are fixed at SummitWatch), as they are generally quite plentiful at this time of the year, at competitive prices.

Don't get me wrong, in my opinion, Vail is a fabulous mountain resort community, but, I think StreamSide has a variety of eye-brow raising issues (which are buffered, to some extent, if you really want to be in Vail).

Last edited:

Powderday

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Marriott ski properties. Besides the RCs, I spend a good portion of the winter at all of them, from my perspective they're all well maintained and managed. The past Streamside issues have been put to rest, will other issues emerge in the future? Who knows.

Summit Watch is a wonderful property, I believe you're a boarder, which means Deer Valley doesn't want you. Besides PCMR, Utah does have many other top notch ski resorts within an hours drive of SW that are more than happy to accommodate boarders.

If you're able, pick-up an Epic Pass and ski/board all of the Marriott properties this winter, then pick. There is a caveat, you may never go back to your old way of life. As Warren Miller asserts "If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do." Enjoy your season. Think Snow!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I would disagree with the other poster, Vail is very good skiing but not necessarily better than Lake Tahoe, Park City, and Breckenridge. In fact, as an expert skier, I would assert that Vail is good but not great. I think that Vail is probably great for intermediate to advanced skiers.
Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
I agree with this statement, I grew up skiing Tahoe (specifically Squaw Valley) and now live here in Colorado. I appreciate Vail and have skied it many times, but I favor other resorts here (Winter Park & Copper Mtn are two that come to mind). Just my opinion.

I used an AC last year to spend a long weekend in the Evergreen building (in November) and found that it was very nicely kept up. I definitely felt that the accomidations at the Evergreen building lived up to the Marriott brand. I did not love the location as you had to drive to go anywhere and the comment that you would have to take a shuttle or drive to Vail is very true.

Last edited:

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
I will be to Summitwatch in January , so will be a good way to check out that area. I already bought the epic pass pre season so I' m ready .
It's deer valley better then park city mountain resort?
Thanks again

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be to Summitwatch in January , so will be a good way to check out that area. I already bought the epic pass pre season so I' m ready .
Thanks again

I think you'll find a variety of opinions in this regard. First, skiing, customer service, and grooming are renowned characteristics of Deer Valley. Snowboarders are prohibited from Deer Valley, so you can draw your own conclusions about that.

With Vail Resorts' acquisition of Park City Mountain Resort, it will be interesting to see what Vail Resorts does/does not do at Park City Mountain Resort in the future.

Personally, I think the terrain is similar between Park City Mountain Resort and Deer Valley, but, if you are into skiing on groomed terrain, I don't know many ski areas that do a better job of grooming than Deer Valley. In recent years, Park City Mountain Resort has become connected with the Canyons, which adds a new twist to the skiing experience at Park City Mountain Resort. (there is more "bowl skiing" at Park City Mountain Resort and the Canyons than there is at Deer Valley).

If you are staying at Marriott's SummitWatch, Deer Valley is a convenient, few minute bus ride to/from Deer Valley. If you are staying at Marriott's SummitWatch, and want to ski Park City Mountain Resort, you cross the bridge over Main Street, Park City (connecting SummitWatch and Park City Mountain Resort), and hop on the Town Lift, and you are slope-side. SummitWatch is not quite ski-in/ski-out, but pretty close to that (Marriott's MountainSide resort is truly ski-in/ski-out at Park City Mountain Resort, but we MUCH prefer to stay at SummitWatch, and to enjoy being in town/on Main Street, rather than being cooped up at MountainSide.

To each his own, we prefer Deer Valley over Park City Mountain Resort, but, I think that is an age thing. As we have aged, we have learned to appreciate the terrain, grooming, customer service and ambiance of Deer Valley (not that we ski for food, but the food at Deer Valley is amazing). In our youth, we may have preferred Park City Mountain Resort, but "may" is the operative word, because I don't think we were ever big fans of Park City Mountain Resort. Vail Resorts acquisition of Park City Mountain Resort may have since changed the experience at Park City Mountain Resort.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note to clarify that I compared Vail to HEAVENLY specifically and not to the entire Tahoe basin.

I'd stand over that statement, the tahoe basin has some great skiing but Heavenly on its own is quite limited in scope when compared to Vail.

Having said that I'm trying to decide between a purchase of a week in Timber Lodge and the Park City resorts myself at the moment... Streamside was simply out of the question in my own personal value for money calculation. The MFs coupled with non-ski-in & ski-out nature of streamside visit a bus the others made for a clear decision for me.

I also personally ruled out breckenridge on MF grounds, but that might work for the OP with a fairly short manageable drive to Vail if skiing Vail was really key to him.

Powderday

Reaction score
Thanks again

I like all mountains, my favorite is which ever one I'm making turns on. Each mountain has its own distinct personality. From the Cirque at "The Bird", Back Bowls at Vail, Whales Tail at Breck, to the "cut like butter groomers" of Beaver Creek and Deer Valley, it's all good. Get out and play. Think Snow!

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note to clarify that I compared Vail to HEAVENLY specifically and not to the entire Tahoe basin.

I'd stand over that statement, the tahoe basin has some great skiing but Heavenly on its own is quite limited in scope when compared to Vail.

Having said that I'm trying to decide between a purchase of a week in Timber Lodge and the Park City resorts myself at the moment... Streamside was simply out of the question in my own personal value for money calculation. The MFs coupled with non-ski-in & ski-out nature of streamside visit a bus the others made for a clear decision for me.

I also personally ruled out breckenridge on MF grounds, but that might work for the OP with a fairly short manageable drive to Vail if skiing Vail was really key to him.

In the case of StreamSide at Vail, do not underestimate the challenges that come with: (1) five, individual condominium associations (one for each building), (2) one overall association, with representation from the five individual associations (and a history of divergent values and expectations between the five individual associations), (3) TWO management companies, one managing two buildings (Aspen and Cedar (VRI) and the other managing three buildings (Birch, Douglas, and Evergreen (Marriott Vacations Worldwide), and (4) five, individual condominium associations, one, overall association (with representatives of the five, individual condominium associations), and two management companies; Does that sound like the General Assembly of the United Nations? Add to that, a very old infrastructure (buildings, common areas), two (Management Company) Resort General Managers, and in the case of Aspen and Cedar, an aged ownerbase, that not only has a long history of not subscribing to Marriott's quality standards or service expectations. For me, from that I conclude that the ownership proposition has the potential to be a nightmare.

On the flip side of the equation, it's Vail, and as I said, previously, if you want to enjoy a decent vacation in Vail, and you are willing to take into account that there is only one building at StreamSide that was purposefully built by Marriott, and that the common areas are aged and managed by many masters, than StreamSide may be OK for you. What I learned from years of ownership at StreamSide, is best to own at a Marriott, purposefully built timeshare resort, managed by one management company, Marriott, and with with an ownerbase of timeshare owners that desire Marriott quality and service, and exchange into StreamSide at Vail, if you desire to vacation at StreamSide at Vail.

I'd encourage anyone considering ownership at StreamSide at Vail, to carefully consider the unique attributes and liabilities of owning at StreamSide at Vail.

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside

I do agree,but looking at resale market on summit watch and mountainside for a premium week we are still ranging between 30-50k which are on my opinion a lot of money.... any recommendation ? I do own Marriott chateau in vegas and I'm always training that through II but I was trying to get my fix week of skiing without the dependency of hoping that someone will release his week.
I have been lucky so far every year with my first or second pick but....

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do agree,but looking at resale market on summit watch and mountainside for a premium week we are still ranging between 30-50k which are on my opinion a lot of money.... any recommendation ? I do own Marriott chateau in vegas and I'm always training that through II but I was trying to get my fix week of skiing without the dependency of hoping that someone will release his week.

I'm not sure that the "asking prices" that you may be seeing at SummitWatch are in line with reality. I've heard of several platinum season weeks at SummitWatch being sold on the secondary market for mid teens to high teens. One very respectable resale broker is Seth Nock, you might want to ask him about what the market is bearing. Remember, end of the year is a timeshare buyers best friend (for secondary market purchases). One thing about SummitWatch that I do not know, is what Marriott's threshold is for Right of First Refusal. I know nothing about MountainSide, as it is not a place where we would want to stay or own, given how much we love SummitWatch.

** I just looked at Seth Nock's website, and I see a Platinum SummitWatch listing with an asking price of around $15,000.00. One thing to remember, I believe SummitWatch sold a fixed week 7, 51, and 52 at a dramatically higher price, and I'd imagine that those weeks are scarce on the secondary market (but know that the Platinum SummitWatch season does not give you access to weeks 7, 51, or 52, unless you do an I.I exchange of a platinum week into a week 7, 51, and 52. In my experience the SummitWatch weeks 7, 51, and 52 were in very limited supply through I.I., because of the high rental income potential that those weeks have).

Remember, SummitWatch has two-bedroom lock-off units, which gives you a lot of flexibility. Depending how many in your party, you could lock your two-bedroom villa off, and get two prime ski weeks at Summit Watch, one in a one-bedroom villa, and the other in a studio villa, or you could use one unit (one-bedroom or studio) and exchange the other. We have always maximized our use of two-bedroom villas, and when we amortize 14 nights in a villa against our maintenance fee, vs 7 nights in a villa against our maintenance fee, the 14 nights produces great value.

If you are after a fixed week, and you are open to a Beaver Creek resort, and a non-Marriott, one of our favorite non-Marriott timeshare resorts is Poste Montane Lodge at Beaver Creek. You might want to have a look there.

Last edited:

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
mountainside weeks lower than 30K

I've been offered mountainside weeks under 20K but haen't closed any deal yet as still deciding on resorts.

I would be interested to know approx price of poste montane as we liked the beav (although I'd be reluctant to step outside of the Marriott system)

I'd also note there's a ski week at mountain valley lodge in Breck up on eBay right now asking 6K.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been offered mountainside weeks under 20K but haen't closed any deal yet as still deciding on resorts.

I would be interested to know approx price of poste montane as we liked the beav (although I'd be reluctant to step outside of the Marriott system)

I'd also note there's a ski week at mountain valley lodge in Breck up on eBay right now asking 6K.

One thing I will say about Poste Montane Lodge, is that it boasts an excellent location, and the property is very well maintained and managed. Granted, ownership at Poste Montane Lodge would not give you Marriott preference/priority on Interval International exchanges.

Last edited:

Powderday

Reaction score

I own Platinum Summit Watch, week 7 is not premium. At Mountainside and Timber Lodge it is. It's also not premium at Mountain Valley Lodge and Streamside Evergreen. Obviously, Christmas and New Years weeks are at all. Skiing Park City in December can be sketchy with snow, PC usually doesn't get early season Cottonwood Canyon types of dumps.

Another option, save the 30-50k and rent, you can rent many week 7 ski weeks for that amount. Seems there's always a plethora of week 7's available. Pick a different resort every year, not just Marriott, if you should find one that grabs you, buy when you're not tied to a schedule. Think Snow!

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Platinum Summit Watch, week 7 is not premium. At Mountainside and Timber Lodge it is. It's also not premium at Mountain Valley Lodge and Streamside Evergreen. Obviously, Christmas and New Years weeks are at all. Skiing Park City in December can be sketchy with snow, PC usually doesn't get early season Cottonwood Canyon types of dumps.

Another option, save the 30-50k and rent, you can rent many week 7 ski weeks for that amount. Seems there's always a plethora of week 7's available. Pick a different resort every year, not just Marriott, if you should find one that grabs you, buy when you're not tied to a schedule. Think Snow!

I tried to attach the Seasonal Calendar's for MountainSide and SummitWatch, but I could only upload one (MountainSide). You'll see that MountainSide has fixed weeks 7, 51, and 52; I wonder if the fixed holiday weeks are being referred to as premium weeks? As is stated above, the fixed weeks at SummitWatch are weeks 51 and 52 (not week 7).

Attachments

• MountainSide.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 133

Powderday

Reaction score
I tried to attach the Seasonal Calendar's for MountainSide and SummitWatch, but I could only upload one (MountainSide). You'll see that MountainSide has fixed weeks 7, 51, and 52; I wonder if the fixed holiday weeks are being referred to as premium weeks? As is stated above, the fixed weeks at SummitWatch are weeks 51 and 52 (not week 7).

That's what I was trying to say, Mountainside and Timber Lodge are fixed week 7, Summit Watch isn't. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. Premium and Holiday seem to be interchangeable words in this thread. By the way, nice to meet a fellow SW ski week owner, not many skiers on this site. Have a great season. Think Snow!