• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
I own Platinum Summit Watch, week 7 is not premium. At Mountainside and Timber Lodge it is. It's also not premium at Mountain Valley Lodge and Streamside Evergreen. Obviously, Christmas and New Years weeks are at all. Skiing Park City in December can be sketchy with snow, PC usually doesn't get early season Cottonwood Canyon types of dumps.

Another option, save the 30-50k and rent, you can rent many week 7 ski weeks for that amount. Seems there's always a plethora of week 7's available. Pick a different resort every year, not just Marriott, if you should find one that grabs you, buy when you're not tied to a schedule. Think Snow!

Hi Powderday,
I'm very flexible with the vacation, I just need a week of skiing with good snow.
I'm not interested on Christmas or new year or any particular vacation day.
I' m looking to buy a good platinum ski week in a nice,resort.
With that in mind you can be sure that, for 30k upfront plus maintenance fee I can get probably 30-35 years of renting a week.... by that time I will be 79 so probably not a great skier anymore :rofl:...but I do like the idea to buy something, just need to find the right deal. I really appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations I'm getting here....
Now next step is just finding something and then go hit the slope together :)

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm very flexible with the vacation, I just need a week of skiing with good snow.

Is there a reason that you are looking for a Marriott? For example, Worldmark is a points based system which has resorts at Steamboat Springs, Heavenly, Taos, Whistler, and Park City Canyons. Since its a points based system, you can book a different week every year and the number of days you book is flexible - it can vary from a couple days to several weeks if you desire.

Do you have any other requirements - how many bedrooms, how close to the slopes, and what level of skiing ability?

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
Is there a reason that you are looking for a Marriott? For example, Worldmark is a points based system which has resorts at Steamboat Springs, Heavenly, Taos, Whistler, and Park City Canyons. Since its a points based system, you can book a different week every year and the number of days you book is flexible - it can vary from a couple days to several weeks if you desire.

Do you have any other requirements - how many bedrooms, how close to the slopes, and what level of skiing ability?

I know Marriott because I already own there. I don't know much about worldmark and the amount of points you need and their sistem in general....
I would like a 2 bed and 2 bath and prefer next to slope or the village.... it's normally only myself and my wife and sometimes my daughter with a friend ..... we are both very good on ski or snowboard... I usually snowboard in the morning when slopes are fresh groomed and ski in the afternoon

Powderday

Reaction score
Hi Powderday,
With that in mind you can be sure that, for 30k upfront plus maintenance fee I can get probably 30-35 years of renting a week.... by that time I will be 79 so probably not a great skier anymore :rofl:...but I do like the idea to buy something, just need to find the right deal. I really appreciate all the suggestions and recommendations I'm getting here....
Now next step is just finding something and then go hit the slope together :)

Have fun looking, I stayed at many properties before I eventually put together a ski portfolio.

Other then my two week Snowbird/Alta fix, I base most of my skiing around the Epic Pass, it goes well with Marriott properties.

Might also want to put Breck on your list of areas to explore. Besides the Marriott, there's a Hilton, Hyatt, and three Breckenridge Grand Vacation Properties that I think are all nice. Plus, with an Epic Pass product (many to choose from) you would have three mountains to ski. A-Basin and Keystone are within a 30-45 minute drive or free bus ride. Think Snow!

Last edited:

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Other then my two week Snowbird/Alta fix, I base most of my skiing around the Epic Pass, it goes well with Marriott properties.

I also have 2 weeks at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird/Alta and agree that it is a great timeshare. But the OP wants Marriott. My recommendation is to rent at Vail, Breckenridge, and Park City. Then our recommendation will be clearer in terms of context and long term consideration.

Powderday

Reaction score
I also have 2 weeks at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird/Alta and agree that it is a great timeshare. But the OP wants Marriott. My recommendation is to rent at Vail, Breckenridge, and Park City. Then our recommendation will be clearer in terms of context and long term consideration.

Not trying to convince OP of The Cliff, with that "Big Beast of Mountain Lurking Outside" it's tough to beat the location, unfortunately the rooms need some serious TLC. I did read in the Annual Meeting Minutes that a designer was hired to help refurbish in the next few years. Suppose they have to keep up with the hotel side.

Can't imagine OP won't find a Marriott to his liking. Nice thing about the Marriott ski property locations, they're all near Epic Pass friendly mountains.

fgrosoli, if you have the time, might want to consider a two week I-70 ski tour. Start with the Marriott in either Vail or Breck for the first week, then head to the other Marriott for the following week. Fresh Tracks Transportation will take care of the driving, if you don't want to rent a vehicle. Think Snow!

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Colorado, a very good alternative to Marriotts are the Hyatt ski timeshares. You get a fixed week every year so no need to get lucky to reserve a week each year unless you are looking to exchange your week for a different week. There is a Hyatt timeshare at Breckenridge, Beaver Creek and Aspen. Their locations are excellent and the quality is high. They are priced accordingly but no more expensive than Marriotts at Park City, I think.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside

I did actually look at Wyndham and also Worldmark by wyndham and seems to me that maybe worldmark is a little bit better in the west and/or mountain destinations?
Any feedback? How is the quality of their resort?
I've seen the most expensive is actually at park city, where the look for a minimum of 14000 point for a week in ski season...Any thought? Surprised they keep so much value on resale market as well for worldmark
Thanks

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own weeks at Streamside Douglas and Evergreen in Vail and at Timber Lodge in Tahoe and have stayed at Douglas and Timber Lodge within the past 3 months (and looked at some units in Evergreen), and am very familiar with both of them. I've also stayed at the Marriott in Breck but it's been a few years. I think Streamside is a very nice resort but different and smaller than Timber Lodge, and not ski in / ski out. The fees in Birch are too high to be viable and the quality is not as good as Evergreen or Douglas. Both Douglas and Evergreen are very well maintained and all 3 Vail buildings are scheduled for a remodel in 2018. Douglas fees for 2017 are $1,561 and Evergreen is $1,848 and I think the fees are stable and should go down gradually over the next few years. The resort has a very nice recreation center and common area amenities that are shared by all 5 buildings (two of which are managed by VRI) and the common areas are managed by Marriott. The loft unit the OP is considering is very nice and has 3 full baths which is unusual for a unit that size. All Douglas units are floating (3 seasons with no fixed event weeks) and Evergreen has 3 floating seasons with weeks 51-52 being fixed. Evergreen units are all stand alone 2BR/2Bath and Douglas has 1BR/2Bath that sleeps 6 (on first 2 floors), 1BR+Loft/3Bath that sleeps 8, and 2BR+Loft/3Bath that sleeps 10 (loft units are on 3rd floor). Strange thing about Douglas is that all size units and seasons have the same maintenance fee of $1,561. So, the loft units are worth a lot more than the non loft units. From what I've seen, $4,500 for a Douglas winter loft unit is a good price. I think Vail is a lot more upscale than Tahoe or Breck (I've never been to Park City) and lodging costs are higher in Vail. I didn't like the Marriott in Breck as all of the units are either studios or 1BR's and the building seemed to not be very well maintained, but that's been a few years ago. Timber Lodge is very nice and more of a traditional Marriott as per the comments above. I think most people would be pleased with Douglas or Evergreen.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did actually look at Wyndham and also Worldmark by wyndham and seems to me that maybe worldmark is a little bit better in the west and/or mountain destinations?
Any feedback? How is the quality of their resort?
I've seen the most expensive is actually at park city, where the look for a minimum of 14000 point for a week in ski season...Any thought? Surprised they keep so much value on resale market as well for worldmark
Thanks

Worldmark has a lot of destinations in the West, including in Canada. As a skier, the Worldmark club has a number of attractive destinations as mentioned - Taos, Steamboat Springs, Park City, Lake Tahoe, and others. Because Worldmark is a points based system, there is quite a lot more flexibility than a weeks based resale at Marriott. That said, most of the units are a notch down from Marriott level quality. There are exceptions - penthouse or presidential units are as good as Marriotts. I also think that Park City is as good as Marriotts as well. Majority of the Worldmark ski town destinations require a car or bus to get to the ski resort but a few such as Whistler or Park City are walk to lifts which is nice.

Worldmark allows waitlists, renting of points, and generous cancellation policies so there is a large amount of flexibility. You can check out their resorts at http://www.worldmarktheclub.com

Worldmark membership holds their value very well. It is very difficult to book weeks at ski resorts during holidays. Booking weeks during the regulat ski season at 13 months is doable.

Similar to the recommendation to rent Marriotts before buying, I recommend that you rent at a Worldmark resort before purchasing to see how you like it. Park City and Whistler are two good destinations.

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
Well, I pulled the trigger and took it... I'm sure I will enjoy my new third floor unit at Douglas building 1 bedroom plus loft and 3 baths.... thanks guys for your recommendations and suggestions... well vail is not the Dolomites in Italy , but I'm sure I can survive...:banana::banana:
Let's just hope not to get a special assessment too soon now:):)
Bummer is I already have a week reserved in December 9-16 and cannot use it.... need to work, debating between renting it or banking it up , any suggestion?
Thanks again

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would bank the Dec 9-16 week as there is no rental demand for that week as it's too early in the season. No worries about a special assessment, there haven't been any in years and none are on the horizon.

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
I would bank the Dec 9-16 week as there is no rental demand for that week as it's too early in the season. No worries about a special assessment, there haven't been any in years and none are on the horizon.

Thanks Robert....looking forward to go skiing and snowboarding...I'm doing snow dance :rofl:

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Definitely bank it! There is absolutely no snow right now in the rockies :(

fgrosoli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Streamside
Good evening,
My resale week displayed today on my account, now I have a couple of questions:
1. In the transaction there was a 2016 week in December 9-16. I tried to bank it up but no lack because it is so imminent II doesn't accept the exchange and even tuggs doesn't allow me to advertise it , as last chance for renting it last minute, because is not reserved under my name but under the previous owner so I guess is lost correct, any recommendation?
2. second and most important question I check availability at Marriott Streamside for 2017, which is available and I own prime week 1-14 and 50-52. Now, I already have a ski week for the beginning of 2017 so I can't use it for 1-14 but I can use it for 50-52. Obviously we are not on the 12 month windows yet, but almost there. How many chances do I have to get week 52 if I try to reserve it at 9 am on dec 29, 2016 exactly at 12 months opening day for checkin on dec 29,2017?
Phone or internet? Any other alternative ?
Thanks again for your time
Filippo

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good evening,
My resale week displayed today on my account, now I have a couple of questions:
1. In the transaction there was a 2016 week in December 9-16. I tried to bank it up but no lack because it is so imminent II doesn't accept the exchange and even tuggs doesn't allow me to advertise it , as last chance for renting it last minute, because is not reserved under my name but under the previous owner so I guess is lost correct, any recommendation?
2. second and most important question I check availability at Marriott Streamside for 2017, which is available and I own prime week 1-14 and 50-52. Now, I already have a ski week for the beginning of 2017 so I can't use it for 1-14 but I can use it for 50-52. Obviously we are not on the 12 month windows yet, but almost there. How many chances do I have to get week 52 if I try to reserve it at 9 am on dec 29, 2016 exactly at 12 months opening day for checkin on dec 29,2017?
Phone or internet? Any other alternative ?
Thanks again for your time
Filippo

If your deal included receiving the Dec 9 week, call Marriott owner services and tell them that this reservation should have been transferred to you. Sometimes they forget to transfer the reservation. It's difficult to reserve the holiday weeks but your best bet is to be on the Marriott website and be clicking to reserve it right at 9:00 a.m. 12 months before check-in. If you call, the weeks will be gone on Internet bookings before your call is answered.

Shonuff

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the "asking prices" that you may be seeing at SummitWatch are in line with reality. I've heard of several platinum season weeks at SummitWatch being sold on the secondary market for mid teens to high teens. One very respectable resale broker is Seth Nock, you might want to ask him about what the market is bearing. Remember, end of the year is a timeshare buyers best friend (for secondary market purchases). One thing about SummitWatch that I do not know, is what Marriott's threshold is for Right of First Refusal. I know nothing about MountainSide, as it is not a place where we would want to stay or own, given how much we love SummitWatch.

** I just looked at Seth Nock's website, and I see a Platinum SummitWatch listing with an asking price of around $15,000.00. One thing to remember, I believe SummitWatch sold a fixed week 7, 51, and 52 at a dramatically higher price, and I'd imagine that those weeks are scarce on the secondary market (but know that the Platinum SummitWatch season does not give you access to weeks 7, 51, or 52, unless you do an I.I exchange of a platinum week into a week 7, 51, and 52. In my experience the SummitWatch weeks 7, 51, and 52 were in very limited supply through I.I., because of the high rental income potential that those weeks have).

Remember, SummitWatch has two-bedroom lock-off units, which gives you a lot of flexibility. Depending how many in your party, you could lock your two-bedroom villa off, and get two prime ski weeks at Summit Watch, one in a one-bedroom villa, and the other in a studio villa, or you could use one unit (one-bedroom or studio) and exchange the other. We have always maximized our use of two-bedroom villas, and when we amortize 14 nights in a villa against our maintenance fee, vs 7 nights in a villa against our maintenance fee, the 14 nights produces great value.
Hi, I am looking to potentially buy a ski week in Park City and SW seems to be the place. My friend used to live in PC and really like the SW property. He doesn't dislike MS but he prefers SW. You mentioned knowing the threshold for ROFR, would you mind sharing that? Is it the 23% I saw on another thread? Just wondering as I've seen a couple mid teens listings and wondering if MVC will take them if I go into escrow. It's better to get deeded week vs points if we plan on going there, right? What I'd really love to find is an EOY 2BR at SW plat season. But if we did get EY, I figure we can book a good ski week and rent in for the MF at least. How difficult is it to get a week there? I guess you have to book a year id advance which is fine, but will you get the week you want or will the 13 month folks get all the good weeks?

Thanks for any help!

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've got long history at StreamSide, which would take days to reveal, so I'll try my best to provide you with a synopsis.

First, a question, do you really want to be in Vail? Marriott has several mountain resorts, three of which were built by Marriott from the ground up (SummitWatch and Mountainside at Park City, and Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe). We love Vail, and we love Park City. For us, Park City is easier to get to, and both Marriott resorts are typical, built by Marriott resorts (in my opinion, a big advantage over StreamSide). Both, Marriott's StreamSide at Vail and Mountain Valley Lodge (Breckenridge) were built by developers other than Marriott, with the exception of the Evergreen Building at StreamSide, which was built by Marriott. So, in my opinion, if you want a mountain experience, you need to pick which mountain resort you want to establish as your Home Resort.

Regarding StreamSide, StreamSide has an eclectic history. The original StreamSide resort was built by a developer other than Marriott, as a purposefully built timeshare resort. The three original buildings were Aspen, Birch and Cedar. If my memory is right, the previous developer started building the Douglas building, than Marriott took the resort over, and I believe completed the Douglas building, and built the Evergreen building, from the ground up.

For quite a long time, Marriott managed the entire StreamSide at Vail resort. In my opinion, there were always factions at StreamSide; there were the original StreamSide timeshare owners, some of whom welcomed Marriott, and some who did not. Then came Marriott, who attracted Marriott buyers, with Marriott expectations, which were not consistent with the expectations of many of the original StreamSide owners. In later years, the Aspen and Cedar buildings ended their management contract with Marriott, are are now managed by another management company, and the Birch, Douglas and Evergreen buildings are managed by Marriott. The Birch building has fixed timeshare weeks, the Douglas building has a mix of floating and fixed weeks, and the Evergreen building has all floating weeks (I've forgotten, there may be some fixed, holiday weeks in Evergreen, I don't remember, but I don't think so). So, in my opinion, in the case of StreamSide, you'd have to pick your medicine or your poison. Personally, I think Vail is a fabulous vacation destination, I am not particularly fond of StreamSide at Vail (for a variety of reasons), with two different management companies, common amenities, and an ambiance that I do not believe is classic Marriott. BUT, if you want to be in Vail, StreamSide may be just what you are looking for.

Of all of Marriott's mountain resorts, SummitWatch in Park City is our favorite. It offers a mix of in-town and mountainside experiences, it is of Marriott quality from head to toe, and the location provides you with direct access to the Park City Mountain Resort, and easy access to Deer Valley and the Canyons.

Mountain Valley Lodge and TimberLodge each have their own attributes, with TimberLodge having been built by Marriott. One of the beauties of owning with Marriott is you have an ability to exchange between resorts, BUT, you should probably try to understand the distinctions between ownership of Marriott's legacy timeshare products, and their newer destination club (points) product.

I've tried to touch on what I believe to be the most relevant points about StreamSide at Vail. I trust that others will add their perspective, and correct and errors or omissions that I may have mistakenly made.

We own several weeks in Streamside Douglas and Evergreen and I just got back from a week in Douglas. Your comments above are pretty accurate but I think a little dated. Douglas only has floating weeks (3 seasons) and Evergreen is floating except event weeks 51/52, and Birch is fixed weeks. I went through all 5 of the Streamside buildings last week and feel that Evergreen and Douglas are definitely Marriott standard, and Birch is not quite as good. Aspen and Cedar are managed by VRI and I feel are not as nice as the Marriott buildings. All 3 of the Marriott buildings will be totally renovated in the spring of 2018 and the product will be upgraded substantially. In addition, there are some extensive upgrades planned for the common areas. The resort has a very nice recreation center and clubhouse and the staff is excellent. If it's been a while since you've been to Streamside, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the resort, especially after next year's renovations.

Powderday

Reaction score
We own several weeks in Streamside Douglas and Evergreen and I just got back from a week in Douglas. Your comments above are pretty accurate but I think a little dated. Douglas only has floating weeks (3 seasons) and Evergreen is floating except event weeks 51/52, and Birch is fixed weeks. I went through all 5 of the Streamside buildings last week and feel that Evergreen and Douglas are definitely Marriott standard, and Birch is not quite as good. Aspen and Cedar are managed by VRI and I feel are not as nice as the Marriott buildings. All 3 of the Marriott buildings will be totally renovated in the spring of 2018 and the product will be upgraded substantially. In addition, there are some extensive upgrades planned for the common areas. The resort has a very nice recreation center and clubhouse and the staff is excellent. If it's been a while since you've been to Streamside, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the resort, especially after next year's renovations.
Robert,
I'm assuming you won a Streamside Board Seat, any possibility that Streamside could start running a morning and afternoon ski shuttle to Beaver Creek? Unless one has a vehicle getting to BC from Streamside is a hassle. I believe the Westin Riverfront runs a morning and afternoon ski shuttle to Vail.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert,
I'm assuming you won a Streamside Board Seat, any possibility that Streamside could start running a morning and afternoon ski shuttle to Beaver Creek? Unless one has a vehicle getting to BC from Streamside is a hassle. I believe the Westin Riverfront runs a morning and afternoon ski shuttle to Vail.

Hi Powderday, I did get re-elected to the Douglas board. Have not heard anything about doing a Beaver Creek shuttle but will inquire about it. I know their Vail shuttles run constantly during the ski season and not sure they have the capacity to do one to Beaver Creek.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
mountainside weeks lower than 30K

I've been offered mountainside weeks under 20K but haen't closed any deal yet as still deciding on resorts.

I would be interested to know approx price of poste montane as we liked the beav (although I'd be reluctant to step outside of the Marriott system)

I'd also note there's a ski week at mountain valley lodge in Breck up on eBay right now asking 6K.
I closed a Platinum Mountainside this year for $14.500