• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott praying on elderly?? Help

Janann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Giving it back to marriott does not seem like the best option to me after 20 years of ownership
The number of years your family has owned it is not relevant to the decision. There is just "sunk cost," which is the money that is gone (purchase price and 20 years of annual dues) whether you keep it or sell it.

RENTER

Reaction score
This is not elder abuse. That occurs during the sales when sales agents pressure seniors to buy when they cannot afford it. $5500 for 2 weeks? That is $392 a night. Check what it costs to stay at the resorts you like on the hotel site and see if it is worth it.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG @eastwestmom

The next question is what season and view type does he own? Here is the calendar and the definition of each season.

Has your Dad been using the timeshare, going to Ocean Pointe each year?

Once you know the resort, season, view, and unit size, you can get an idea of what it is worth on the resale market here:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@eastwestmom , you mentioned that your father can pay the MF but it would be a financial burden on you. Maybe talk to your Dad and ask him if he and you split the MF and that he let you use the units under some sort of arrangement. Or perhaps have your Dad transfer the ownership to you and then subsidize the MF. If you don't think that you will ever be able to afford the full MF upon your Dad's death, then maybe it is time to sell. Just thinking out loud and wanting to offer some suggestions.....

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
And there's probably vacation time on the table. Someone should use whatever is available before jettisoning the property. If not OP, a relative.
We own some TS and used to invite our in-laws to join us. They were at the point where they shouldn't have been driving and this allowed them to see relatives in Palm Desert, Sedona and Phoenix on an annual basis. So, by us inviting them, it was something that they couldn't do themselves and we enjoyed their company. Plus we stayed in some really nice timeshares that otherwise they could not afford. Maybe an arrangement like this might work for the OP.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Well, since yesterday I learned a lot (thank you) but still need to do more research. I found out dad CALLED MARRIOTT. But what I need to find out now is who/what department he spoke to. They allegedly gave him 7 days to make the decision which is also screaming scam. I called the number above before I found out dad called marriott, and they said they had no record of calling him. I will read up on Abound. My sister thinks dads expenses are through the roof lately and that is why he suddenly wants out. How/where can I see historical sales? My dad is under the impression no one wants this and it's worth nothing. He has weeks 8&9 (which is Platinum) at Marriott's Ocean Pointe. It's a 2 br lockoff. So I'm planning on at the very least taking it and selling it if I can determine if it has any value. Perhaps keeping one week and selling the other if that's even possible. There is a lot to learn. But for now, I see what's listed at this property on Redweek, but how can I see what has previously sold? The eBay link didn't have comparable properties. Thanks for all your expertise and help!! I really appreciate it, I didn't know where to turn or what to do.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Your Dad's timeshares are worth money. Since you can see Redweek ads, that is a clue to price it under the other platinum weeks and get them sold.

Not many timeshares are selling right now, just before fees are due. I would list each week for $4,000 on Redweek and get a quick sale, charge the MF's for 2025 to the new owner as well. Do NOT use Redweek's verify/ protect. They are the slowest and most expensive.

LT Transfers can do the paperwork for you. They are TUG members and are inexpensive, reliable, and accurate. readylegal@gmail.com is the main email address.

Edited to add: Your dad probably attended some scam exit company's meeting, saying nothing you own is worth a thing, your family is going to inherit it and will hate you for it, so pay us money, we will take it. They would love to get something they could sell for $4,000-8,000 each week.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
def not worthless, and youd have no issue getting a few dollars each for those ownerships regardless of where you posted them.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Well, since yesterday I learned a lot (thank you) but still need to do more research. I found out dad CALLED MARRIOTT. But what I need to find out now is who/what department he spoke to. They allegedly gave him 7 days to make the decision which is also screaming scam. I called the number above before I found out dad called marriott, and they said they had no record of calling him. I will read up on Abound. My sister thinks dads expenses are through the roof lately and that is why he suddenly wants out. How/where can I see historical sales? My dad is under the impression no one wants this and it's worth nothing. He has weeks 8&9 (which is Platinum) at Marriott's Ocean Pointe. It's a 2 br lockoff. So I'm planning on at the very least taking it and selling it if I can determine if it has any value. Perhaps keeping one week and selling the other if that's even possible. There is a lot to learn. But for now, I see what's listed at this property on Redweek, but how can I see what has previously sold? The eBay link didn't have comparable properties. Thanks for all your expertise and help!! I really appreciate it, I didn't know where to turn or what to do.
You need to find out more info. You stated he "upgraded" some years back. If he only owns weeks, that likely means it is enrolled with Abound. (Or he bought additional points.) If not, he can enroll for free as he has owned 20 years. Enrollment makes those weeks much more valuable. Also, you can lock off to 4 weeks and exchange for free.

He owns platinum but you did not say the view, which is either oceanside (OS) or oceanfront (OF). The weeks would yield the following abound points:
OF 5375
OS 4325

You also can rent them out for about $6,000.

For 2 OS weeks it would cost over $50,000 to buy those points resale, and over $100K if bought from developer. So, yes, the weeks have a lot of value. As his child, enrolled status can be passed down to you.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
You need to find out more info. You stated he "upgraded" some years back. If he only owns weeks, that likely means it is enrolled with Abound. (Or he bought additional points.) If not, he can enroll for free as he has owned 20 years. Enrollment makes those weeks much more valuable. Also,
you can lock off to 4 weeks and exchange for free.

He owns platinum but you did not say the view, which is either oceanside (OS) or oceanfront (OF). The weeks would yield the following abound points:
OF 5375
OS 4325

You also can rent them out for about $6,000.

For 2 OS weeks it would cost over $50,000 to buy those points resale, and over $100K if bought from developer. So, yes, the weeks have a lot of value. As his child, enrolled status can be passed down to you.
What does "you can lock off to 4 weeks and exchange for free" mean? He owns OS not OF. I still haven't figured out to see how much this has sold for in the past. What it's posted for now for sale does me no good if no one buys it at that price...He seemed to think there were thousands (paraphrasing) for sale and no one buying....

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Can you get the same "bang for your buck" with abound points vs. just swapping your week for another MVC location?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
What does "you can lock off to 4 weeks and exchange for free" mean? He owns OS not OF. I still haven't figured out to see how much this has sold for in the past. What it's posted for now for sale does me no good if no one buys it at that price...He seemed to think there were thousands (paraphrasing) for sale and no one buying....
The units can each be locked off into a one bedroom and a studio. If they are enrolled, those can then be deposited into Interval International and exchanged for four weeks in up to two bedroom units each. So it is theoretically possible to get four two bedroom units. As enrolled there are no exchange fees and membership to Interval International is included.

As for resale pricing. You want to look at Redweek.com and then look at the Floating (high) season weeks. Find the lowest price and that is probably a decent indication of resale value. Knock it down about another 15% and you could probably sell the weeks fairly easily for that price.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can you get the same "bang for your buck" with abound points vs. just swapping your week for another MVC location?
Not in my experience. Though Platinum weeks at Ocean Pointe get more points than I can get with our weeks. The two weeks are worth 8,650 points combined. You may be able to exchange through Interval using the four deposit method I mentioned in the prior post to get weeks that would cost you 10,000 to 12,000 points if using points. So you can come out ahead by trading the weeks in Interval International but it requires more time, patience and research to understand how it all works.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Okay, I now have more information. My dad contacted the exit team at MVC and asked how he can get out of his timeshare. They emailed back with the following. I feel I need more than 7 days to decide if I want to take this over and consequently sell it perhaps. Thoughts? 7 days seems unreasonable.

Currently, TMVC is offering an opportunity for you to relinquish your ownership, a direct deed back, at no cost to you. While this transaction will not result in any financial proceeds, it is a quick way to exit the program and eliminate your ongoing annual maintenance fee commitment. The anticipated time to complete the ownership transfer is 120 days; however, TMVC cannot guarantee a time for completion of the ownership transfer.

The offer to deed back your ownership is valid for the next 7 business days and is subject to mutually agreeable written terms and conditions as set forth in the settlement documents, a copy of which will be provided to you for your review.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You do NOT need to reply in 7 days. There is NO reason to give back a week that is actually valuable. Platinum season at Ocean Pointe has value.

You are just getting started in learning the value of those weeks.
Consider renting out one week, using the other.

FYI, weeks 8 & 9 are not "fixed weeks". At exactly 13 months in advance, 9 am EST, you or he must call Marriott to "reserve those weeks" (or other weeks during the defined Platinum season) each year. (Since he owns two weeks, he has the right to reserve 13 months in advance. )

As @dioxide45 mentioned, Abound points is the easy way to make a reservation at other Marriott resorts, but it's pricey.

If you were willing to learn how to use Interval International, each of those weeks could get you TWO weeks of vacation.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
There are many 2BR platinum OS weeks listed on Redweek for upwards of 10K each. At the low end there are a few at around $6K-7.5K. The likely going rate is probably around the 6K amount, less sales fees. If there is no scenario where you want to keep them in the family, then you should NOT give them for free to Marriott. As mentioned above, they will sell the underlying points for over $100,000.

I think you are rushing into this and you and the family should look at the big picture. In regards to what the Abound points could get you see the attached chart. 8,650 points could get you a lot of nice places for under $6K in MF. Alternatively you could trade in II and get 4 weeks each year. Maybe your family could split the MF.

Attachments

• points_charts_2024.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
There are many 2BR platinum OS weeks listed on Redweek for upwards of 10K each. At the low end there are a few at around $6K-7.5K. The likely going rate is probably around the 6K amount, less sales fees. If there is no scenario where you want to keep them in the family, then you should NOT give them for free to Marriott. As mentioned above, they will sell the underlying points for over $100,000.

I think you are rushing into this and you and the family should look at the big picture. In regards to what the Abound points could get you see the attached chart. 8,650 points could get you a lot of nice places for under $6K in MF. Alternatively you could trade in II and get 4 weeks each year. Maybe your family could split the MF.
Thanks so much, yes I can see this. What I can't see or seem to find is if they actually sold though for those listing prices. thanks

claraj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Los Suenos
Thanks so much, yes I can see this. What I can't see or seem to find is if they actually sold though for those listing prices. thanks
Check ROFR.net I think I saw a 2 BR platinum pass for $11k in July this year

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
You might keep one week and sell the other? Half the maintenance fees

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
You can't find it because it does not exist. There is no secret list and there is no exact number. There is no definitive way to know. What it sells for one day will be different the next. People here have decades of experience in timeshare, as well as redweek. It is pretty logical that if there is a glut at a price, they are not selling at all or not very quickly. If there are only a few at a lower price then they are probably selling around that price. The only way to know what your weeks will sell for is to list them and see if they sell. If not keep lowering until they do. As many have said those weeks have value. They actually have exponentially more value to your immediate family than any buyer who cannot enroll the weeks without enormous cost.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
You can't find it because it does not exist. There is no secret list and there is no exact number. There is no definitive way to know. What it sells for one day will be different the next. People here have decades of experience in timeshare, as well as redweek. It is pretty logical that if there is a glut at a price, they are not selling at all or not very quickly. If there are only a few at a lower price then they are probably selling around that price. The only way to know what your weeks will sell for is to list them and see if they sell. If not keep lowering until they do. As many have said those weeks have value. They actually have exponentially more value to your immediate family than any buyer who cannot enroll the weeks without enormous cost.
If they are already enrolled in abound points (they are) and the weeks are sold, the buyer does not get access to the abound points?

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Another question I have is the rise of these maintenance fees. My dad seems to think the new normal is that they will got up $1000 per year as they did this past year. I did read in another part of this forum there are a lot of people upset about how much MF have risen.

Is there no regulation for this at all? They can just go up up up for eternity?

Last edited:

Janann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard, Las Vegas;
Disney's Saratoga Springs
Is there no regulation for this at all? They can just go up up up for eternity?
Correct for both questions. I've never heard of anything in timeshare ownership documentation which caps the annual increase.