• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott praying on elderly?? Help

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
My dad owns a Marriott timeshare. He’s been an owner for 20 years. He did upgrade it about 7 years ago but this was before the giant Marriott merger, which has different offerings now.

He says the yearly fees have escaped in recent years. In 2023 he paid about $4500 for the two weeks and in 2024 the bill is about $5500. He is worried his high it’s going to go.

Marriott called him the other day and offered to “take it back for free”. I am supposed to inherit said timeshare.

I do t know what to tell him but this doesn’t seem like a good idea to me after owning it for 20 years.

Can someone please advise?? I can try and provide more detail if necessary.

Thanks!!

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
My dad owns a Marriott timeshare. He’s been an owner for 20 years. He did upgrade it about 7 years ago but this was before the giant Marriott merger, which has different offerings now.

He says the yearly fees have escaped in recent years. In 2023 he paid about $4500 for the two weeks and in 2024 the bill is about $5500. He is worried his high it’s going to go.

Marriott called him the other day and offered to “take it back for free”. I am supposed to inherit said timeshare.

I do t know what to tell him but this doesn’t seem like a good idea to me after owning it for 20 years.

Can someone please advise?? I can try and provide more detail if necessary.

Thanks!!
*escalated not escaped…

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would be weary of any cold calls, even if they are supposedly from Marriott. Marriott will take back deeds though. Why not just take the timeshare over now instead of inheriting it? What exactly does he own? It may not actually have any value and giving it back may be the best idea.

This isn't preying on the elderly. Marriott offers the same thing to young owners too.

Last edited:

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose you meant to say "preying".

You have to make a decision.
1. Do you want to keep the timeshare? If yes and your dad is willing to let it go, then take it over and learn how to maximize the benefits. This forum will help you on that.
2. If you do not want to take it over, then you can try to sell it. Depending on what he owns, it may be worth something, but not necessarily a lot. Don't get excited when someone tells you it is worth a ton of money. That is how you get scammed. WARNING: don't get scammed. If you want to go with this option, then come back here and ask and you will get some solid advice. Never pay anyone to "help" you sell the timeshare. That is scam 101.
3. If the above 2 options are not your cup of tea, then call Marriott and offer a deedback (giving it back to marriott) Call the member service directly. DO NOT call the number that cold-called you. Ignore them. Those are usually scammers.

As mentioned above, MF increases apply to every owner of the resort old and young. Ability to deedback is also available to everyone equally.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
I would be weary of any cold calls, even if they are supposedly from Marriott. Marriott will take back deeds though. Why not just take the timeshare over now instead of inheriting it? What exactly does he own? It may not actually have any value and giving it back may be the best idea.

This isn't praying on the elderly. Marriott offers the same thing to young owners too.
He owns 2 weeks. I didn't know the yearly cost until today when he told me, I only knew I was set to inherit it. Paying $5000+ a year would be a hardship for me. What is the best thing to do? Try and sell it? Cut losses? It could be another 10 years by the time I inherit it. My dad is a very healthy 85 y.o. He can "afford" to keep paying it but the current terms don't allow him to use it across all the brands marriott owns. He can only use it actual marriott timeshare properties and hotel rooms I believe. So he feels limited on where he can travel as well.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Yes, sorry "preying" not "praying". I was typing on my phone in a hurry!

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
He owns 2 weeks. I didn't know the yearly cost until today when he told me, I only knew I was set to inherit it. Paying $5000+ a year would be a hardship for me. What is the best thing to do? Try and sell it? Cut losses? It could be another 10 years by the time I inherit it. My dad is a very healthy 85 y.o. He can "afford" to keep paying it but the current terms don't allow him to use it across all the brands marriott owns. He can only use it actual marriott timeshare properties and hotel rooms I believe. So he feels limited on where he can travel as well.

Using it for the timeshare properties is how it works. If that doesn't interest you/your dad then the other options (hotels, etc) aren't good value and aren't worth exploring. If that's the case you can post the details here and experts can tell you whether they're worth anything or if it makes sense to just give them back.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
What I meant by only using it at a marriott is that now there are all the properties under the marriott umbrella (ritz carlton, sheraton, westin, etc). Because he purchased the time share before the merger, he is not able to access the other properties. So his ownership is more limited. I am trying to figure out if it makes more sense for him to upgrade to be able to use more properties or to sell it? Giving it back to marriott does not seem like the best option to me after 20 years of ownership so I am looking for guidance. Thanks

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Where he owns is also important. A Hawaii deed will have significant resale value. I am sure MVC would like to get one of those back for free. Other deeds in other locations may be worth a lot less.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Also, can someone explain the difference of someone cold calling from Marriott about giving it back vs. calling the 800 number himself. I don't believe it was a scam phone call. I do believe it was actually a marriott timeshare employee.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What I meant by only using it at a marriott is that now there are all the properties under the marriott umbrella (ritz carlton, sheraton, westin, etc). Because he purchased the time share before the merger, he is not able to access the other properties. So his ownership is more limited. I am trying to figure out if it makes more sense for him to upgrade to be able to use more properties or to sell it? Giving it back to marriott does not seem like the best option to me after 20 years of ownership so I am looking for guidance. Thanks
When exactly did he purchase? Where? If he bought directly from Marriott Vacation Club, then he may have the option to enroll the weeks into the Abound point program. Perhaps they are already enrolled. If in the USA, enrollment is free. The ability to enroll will pass on if the deed is transferred to a direct decendant. So if you were to take it over, you could enroll it in Abound.

Abound does give you the ability to make reservations at any of the other resort brands that came through the merger.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Also, can someone explain the difference of someone cold calling from Marriott about giving it back vs. calling the 800 number himself. I don't believe it was a scam phone call. I do believe it was actually a marriott timeshare employee.
Generally, cold calls are the M.O. of a scam operation. When you call back you want to make sure you call Marriott directly and don't rely on the number that was provided during the cold call to him.

Email
exit.services@mvwc.com
Call
800-226-9150
Website
marriottvacationclub.com/exit

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

If anyone cold calls you about a timeshare, it's 99% a scam.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Paying $5000+ a year would be a hardship for me
Then how is this preying on the elderly. If it is indeed Marriott making the offer, they are saving you from a hardship.

Search ebay & Redweek resales for the specific weeks he owns. Realize that someone can ASK a LOT for a week but will be unable to sell it at that price. Track resales that actually SELL. If it has enough value to be worth the time and learning involved, get him to sell them.
Obviously, you don't actually want the hardship. You just ASSUME it has value. And given your view of the yearly expenditure, the two of you should have already been doing this.

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
So is what your are saying is that there is no circumstance where Marriott would have actually called him? It was definitely a scam?

eastwestmom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott
Then how is this preying on the elderly. If it is indeed Marriott making the offer, they are saving you from a hardship.

Search ebay & Redweek resales for the specific weeks he owns. Realize that someone can ASK a LOT for a week but will be unable to sell it at that price. Track resales that actually SELL. If it has enough value to be worth the time and learning involved, get him to sell them.
Obviously, you don't actually want the hardship. You just ASSUME it has value. And given your view of the yearly expenditure, the two of you should have already been doing this.
Yes, I am assuming it has value. I came on this forum to figure this out. I was unaware of the amount he was paying yearly until today. If I took it over today, yes, it might not be practical. But I want to make sure he is not being scammed out of this timeshare if it's more in Marriott's best interest to "take it back for free". I don't know all the rules and how it works. I came here seeking the knowledge of others.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
no circumstance where Marriott would have actually called
just not the way big companies act. He would have to proactively wave some kind of flag for them to even notice him.
But now that it got you going, figure out how to sell it or give it back to Marriott.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So is what your are saying is that there is no circumstance where Marriott would have actually called him? It was definitely a scam?
I can't say that for sure. I'ms just saying it is better to be safe than sorry. It is just as easy to call the phone number i provided above as it is to call back the one from the caller ID.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
He owns at Marriott's Ocean Point in Palm Beach Shores.
Ocean Pointe has seen some big increases over the past couple years. Though it isn't unique in the timeshare world, expecially Marriott. Many Marriott resorts have seen big increases in maintenance fees. Ocean Pointe also had an assessment in order to do repairs to one of the buildings due to damage as a result of being located on the ocean and sea air.

If they are Platinum season weeks, they may be worth a couple thousand dollars each. I doubt Marriott will pay to take them back. They likely will accept a deed back of the weeks with nothing paid to the owner. While it doesn't seem right that he has owned and paid for the timeshares over 20 years along with the upfront purchase price, that is the reality. Marriott won't offer anything for them other than taking the burden off your fathers hands.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
"you could enroll it in Abound"
I don't own Marriott, but there was a trhead here early 2024 about "Would you accept or reject inheriting Abound points?"
search on "inherit ABound points" & read that before thinking that is a preferred path / outcome

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Yes, I am assuming it has value. I came on this forum to figure this out. I was unaware of the amount he was paying yearly until today. If I took it over today, yes, it might not be practical. But I want to make sure he is not being scammed out of this timeshare if it's more in Marriott's best interest to "take it back for free". I don't know all the rules and how it works. I came here seeking the knowledge of others.

Here is a list of completed eBay listings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...Shores&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Even if he owns weeks 51 and 52, it's probably not worth all that much. Selling a timeshare is just as complicated as selling a house. There is a deed to be recorded, escrow and title.

I just sold a house last month and the entire process from "let's sell this house" to "the money is in the bank" took three weeks. Timeshares take longer than that. If Marriott will take it back, that is *probably* the best way out.

Other solutions require paying closing costs and similar. In many cases, this is the definition of "throwing good money after bad."

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
"you could enroll it in Abound"
I don't own Marriott, but there was a trhead here early 2024 about "Would you accept or reject inheriting Abound points?"
search on "inherit ABound points" & read that before thinking that is a preferred path / outcome
Owning Abound points is a COMPLETELY differen value t proposition than owning an enrolled week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all, Marriott does not prey on the elderly, over someone younger. Secondly, Marriott does not, has never, cold called someone about giving back a timeshare. It is 100% scam call that your father got.

Since he owned it before the merger, it means that he actually can have his weeks enrolled into the new system, Abound, for free. That way he has access to everything under the Marriott umbrella. Since you don't want to inherit it because the maintenance fees is too much for you to handle, your father can enroll the weeks and use it to travel to the properties under the Marriott umbrella, or you can help him sell if for money. In fact, you can call Marriott about selling the weeks for you. Typically, you will get more than what you will be able to sell them yourselves, but it may take a year or two.

Last edited: