• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Not Exercising ROFR ANYMORE!

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just told by Marriott Modifications that they are no longer buying back any weeks from any properties. This has caused a huge back up in getting Marriott to do their internal transfer. That is what I was told because I contacted them to see why after 2 months they havn't transferred a week I purchased. The person told me she still can't give me a date.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on that being totally accurate, but I could be wrong. It is my understanding that Marriott has 30 days max. to exercise the ROFR, and if that time passes then they don't want it. If you've waited 2 months then something just doesn't seem to be right somewhere.

It's my opinion that if the price is right then they will in fact buy back the unit.

If they have a chance to make a huge buck on a resale then I bet they will; once again only if the price is right.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that a clerk who works in the dept that handles ownership modifications would have some deep insight into whether Marriott is or is not exercising any ROFR contracts. i don't think that is a area that she would know enough about to make that kind of blanket statement. instead it sounds as if she was busy making up an excuse as to why your ownership transfer on the week you bought has not been processed yet.

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on postings here, it is apparent that Marriott has at least reduced the price they exercise ROFR. They may have even suspended it for a while. Presumably, this is because the direct Sales have slowed. I would think that the volume going through ownership department if anything is less than a few months ago, not greater. If you are talking about two months since the deed has been recorded, this is an issue. If you are talking about two months since you purchased the week, that isn't too bad.

Last edited:

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am talking about 2 months since Marriott received the copy of the deed as well as the transfer fees in their office. I confirmed back in August that they had recieved these Items on July 21st.

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am talking about 2 months since Marriott received the copy of the deed as well as the transfer fees in their office. I confirmed back in August that they had recieved these Items on July 21st.

To me, this is unacceptable. I would call them every day until you got your owner number. It shouldn't take that much time. I did hear that Marriott is now requiring passports or other documentation (don't know if this is true or not), but maybe they need additional paperwork?

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
we are in the process of selling our surf club unit . marriott came back within a week about rofr ( it passed ). they are asking for either a drivers lic. or passport from the new owners . I hope mine doesn't take 2 months . :eek:

dwmantz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have been waiting well over two months for response from Marriott for a non-ROFR transfer.

What is the number to daily call at Marriott to inquire as to this delay???

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It wouldn't surprise me if Marriott is behind two months in ownership transfers. Though I wouldn't attribute it to more resales. I would think that resales are actually down. They probably had someone leave the department and have not replaced them yet or to save costs have chosen not to replace them at all. JMHO.

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have been waiting well over two months for response from Marriott for a non-ROFR transfer.

What is the number to daily call at Marriott to inquire as to this delay???

Start with owner services and ask--I believe they term it the deeding department. Tell them that you are a resale purchaser and would like to know if your ownership status is recognized since it's been 2 months. They will forward you to the right department--get a name and number.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I beleive the department is actually called Owner Modifications.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personnel changes in Owner Mod...

Marriott has been very active in personnel reductions across the board. Since owner modifications is such a small group to begin with- changes there can have a big impact on transfer timeframes. Also, remember that all the international resorts were added to Lakeland's workload a few months ago.. Marriott has finally centralized everything with one group. It will be better in the long run- but it certainly makes for an uncomfortable situation now!

More work + less people = longer waits..

If you call in, try to remember that the owner mod rep that answers the phone isn't the real cause of the delay- and that the time they spend on the phone with you is time they are not processing transfers!

If you are in a real hurry- I've found that a thank you card addressed to the rep that handles your resort can sometimes help you get to the top of the stack.... (And not that I would ever recommend it- but most of the reps are big fans of Darden restaurants!).....

LSUtiger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Long Wait for Transfer

My resale was deeded in July. The owner modifications department has told me on multiple occasions that it now will take 4 months to process the transfers of resales.
You can scream about it being unacceptable, but in the end we bought resale and that is our penalty for not paying Marriott developer prices. The good thing is that it will only affect us the first year.
My broker is working with the old owner to reserve a date for 2009, which the owner modification department suggested.

ricki999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what owner modifications actually does to recognize a new owner? Does it really take 4 months to accomplish this process or is Marriott just dragging their feet?

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owner modification current process....

Owner Modifications has been through some major changes recently. Personnel has been cut by 50%, and management of the department has also been changed. There are now new personnel that are involved in transfers- so there are quite a few bumps in the road they will have to overcome. Also, as I stated earlier the international transfers have also been added to the workload.

Marriott is trying to implement a new process with transfers which hopefully will expedite things in the future. All payments that are sent are now going to the Financial Department to be processed. Then the transfer request is reviewed to ensure that that all necessary information in included and the correct procedures have been followed by the seller (such as the ROFR process). If anything is missing, a letter will go out at that time to request the needed info.

If everything is included and the proper selling process completed, the request will only then go to Owner Mods to complete the transfer. In the past, if a problem file was received, it could tie up an Owner Mod rep as they personally tried to help walk the seller through the process.

I'm hopeful these changes will eventually streamline the system, but there may be many uncomfortable delays in the near future.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
RichardM, Do you work for Marriott Vacation Club? Your phraseology sounds as if you do.

Jeffrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
60 business days?

I`m in the same position...
Closing went through Orange County Comptroller on July 23rd.
Marriott received the paperwork 1 week later.

I called late August and was told it could take up to 60 business days.

Does anyone have a good direct dial number? I have already made 2009 reservations with my two Marriott developer weeks and need this resale week to get registered a.s.a.p. to make sure I get the consecutive 2009 week.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, but our office is in touch with them on a daily basis.. I'm an agent with International Properties/GMAC Real Estate. Currently- the OM reps are catching up on a backlog due to the changes and downsizing (they are currently working on requests sent to them in August). As of today, our current estimate to clients for internal processing at Marriott is approx 8-10 weeks for domestic transfers.

Please be assured the individual reps still there are trying to correct this as quickly as possible, but it will take them probably at least another month or two to get caught up. They are good people in that department with the best intentions- they've just been placed in a very tough spot for the time being due to the reorganization.

gregloucks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just closed on a NCV week. The recorded deed will go to Marriott next week. Here is an email that i just received from my broker that is consistent with what RichardM is hearing from MVCI. Bummer...

Hi Greg,
Everything seems to be coming together for you, I'm very pleased....I just wanted to give you this bit of info we received here at the office:
Due to the recent downsizing and restructuring at Marriott Owner Modifications in Lakeland, we have been asked to extend our transfer completion estimates for the next two months. Please advise all clients that currently, we are estimating it will take 8 to 10 weeks for domestic ownership transfers to be completed by Marriott once they have received the recorded deed. Estimate 12-14 weeks for international ownership transfers.

Owner mods just started working on transfer requests from August. They don't expect to catch up for approximately another two months or so.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
richardm,

Thanks for your insight! It is appreciated here at the board.

Cheers,
Janna

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is why when I try to refuse a week if possible because in the first year of resale ownership the new owner usually gets screwed with a bad week. I just experienced this with one NVC I purchased and I thought I had plenty of time to make things happen,but sure enough it got delayed and I ended up with a less desireable June week. The next week I bought started with 2010 week so that gives me 9-10 months before I have to worry about securing a week.

Regards.
Joe

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just closed on a NCV week. The recorded deed will go to Marriott next week. Here is an email that i just received from my broker that is consistent with what RichardM is hearing from MVCI. Bummer...

Hi Greg,
Everything seems to be coming together for you, I'm very pleased....I just wanted to give you this bit of info we received here at the office:
Due to the recent downsizing and restructuring at Marriott Owner Modifications in Lakeland, we have been asked to extend our transfer completion estimates for the next two months. Please advise all clients that currently, we are estimating it will take 8 to 10 weeks for domestic ownership transfers to be completed by Marriott once they have received the recorded deed. Estimate 12-14 weeks for international ownership transfers.

Owner mods just started working on transfer requests from August. They don't expect to catch up for approximately another two months or so.

This really blows me away that a corporation of Marriott's status would allow this to happen. Corporations have layoffs and reorganizations quite frequently, and sometimes there are a few hickups along the way, but come on, 2+ months is absurd. Maybe they should hire back a few workers they let go as contract employees until the backlog is cleared, or pay some overtime. Isn't Marriott a service organization, and is customer service part of that?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does this hurt Marriott?

I can see why Marriott may be reluctant to fix this.
Who is this hurting at Marriott?

Right now this is a big inconvenience for resales,
something that does not generate any new revenue for Marriott.

NJN2Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
waiting game...

We recently closed on our MMC week. The recorded deed will go to Marriott next week with complete transfer paperwork and copies of our D.L.'s (passports were also an option, but I did not feel like getting them out.) So now we wait to see how long the process will take. Our broker did not indicate that things were slow, but I did not ask either. If I get a chance, I will give her a call.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I can see why Marriott may be reluctant to fix this.
Who is this hurting at Marriott?

Right now this is a big inconvenience for resales,
something that does not generate any new revenue for Marriott.

It was my understanding that the same department that transferres ownership on resales also processes the developer purchases also.