• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marco Under Water?? / Hurricane Ian-impacted reservations ? [MERGED]

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Does anyone know how Marco Island did on the island in general? If infrastructure is majorly damaged around Crystal Shores, then it might not be a good idea to go in general.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know how Marco Island did on the island in general? If infrastructure is majorly damaged around Crystal Shores, then it might not be a good idea to go in general.
From what I read, the two Publix grocery stores on the island are open as well as the Winn-Dixie grocery and pharmacy. As of the time I read the article, no gas stations were open yet. So it seems that some of the island has power, or the grocery stores are running on generator power.

Zagrid094

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Crystal Shores, Marriott's Grande Ocean, Marriott's Kauai Beach Club, Marriott's Manor Club, MVC Trust Points
According to the most recent outage map reported by Lee County Electric Cooperative (LCEC) that services Marco Island, power has been restored to almost half the island. Several photos were posted on a Marco Island Facebook page including one showing that power is back on at Crystal Shores. These photos were taken yesterday evening. See below.

Marco1.jpg
Marco 2.jpg

Unfortunately, some areas of the island suffered more damage than others. Here is a tweet posted on the Naples Daily News reporting that the Snook Inn was severely damaged during the storm.

Marco 3.jpg

Last edited:

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Marco about 30 minutes ago. We had some family condos to check on over near Sunrise Bay. There is definitely a lot of clean up that has to go on but you can drive around the island and one of the gas stations is open (the one over by Anglers Cove) I did not ride over by the beach but will be back down there in the next few days and will check it out.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live in Lakewood Ranch which is just East of Sarasota. The storm was awful- 18 hours of 150+ mile an hour winds. Thank goodness for hurricane shutters and whole house generators- we have both. The shutters were very necessary but we never lost power. I have friends a mile away who still do not have power or internet. There is a lot of landscaping damage throughout the area. The grocery stores have NOT gotten deliveries so if you are coming down here don't count on grocery shopping and cooking. Also many gas stations are out of gas. In addition I 75 is closed from exit 193-exit 179 due to the flooding of the Myakka River. I just received notice that a levee has burst on that river and since I live in Manatee County they said that we will not be effected.
Not to be nasty but I am sorry if your vacation plans have been ruined by Ian, but 100's of thousands of lives have been disrupted here. Right now with a shortage of gas and food we don't need visitors complaining that their plans have to be altered. We consider ourselves to be the lucky ones but many have lost their homes and livelihood.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Unfortunately, some areas of the island suffered more damage than others. Here is a tweet posted on the Naples Daily News reporting that the Snook Inn was severely damaged during the storm.

View attachment 65908

Unfortunately, many of the older buildings get totally destroyed in a natural disaster like this.

Building codes post Hurricane Andrew (1992) are a lot stricter and more hurricane resistant. I may be wrong, but it seems like Snook Inn predates that.

Here is how much that can matter - from when Cat 4 hurricane Michael hit the FL Panhandle in 2018.

Source: Editorial: Toughen Florida's building code (tampabay.com)
(the article argues that South Florida building codes should be applied to the Panhandle, which is somewhat less strict in their codes).

1664651638920.png

munthank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kirkland, Marriott Shadow Ridge
Okay that is good. So if we cancel then we could use the points for Spring Break 2024. But that would be risky if we need to cancel so close to expiration. Now I can see why people say it is good to bank points into a future use year if you get extra time to use them.

Problem right now is if we cancel Crystal Shores, it is hard to book anything for June 2023 since all the good locations would tend to be gone by now for 7-10 nights. I guess wait and see is best. I was looking at the Marco Island Facebook page and it looks like they might be up and running this year. Roads are still open and the flooding would affect 1st floor mainly.

@dioxide45 You are a MVC expert. Do you know if the first floor at Crystal Shores has any units? Is the garage underground?
No Unuts on ground floor. Parking garage is under building. One pool is below level of building. Have to take elevator to get there.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
No Unuts on ground floor. Parking garage is under building. One pool is below level of building. Have to take elevator to get there.
Two pools are technically on the lower level. There is the Grotto Pool and the Lower Cascade Pool.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My cousin passed on that the condos right next to snook inn had water intrusion on first floor but only those closer to the river

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is NOAA Hurricane Ian Imagery showing Crystal Shores. As suspected, it looks like water from the Gulf made its way into the lower pools but the upper pool is still blue. Given the color of the water in the Lower Cascades and Grotto Pools, it doesn't look like it was fully inundated. Looking at nearby homes and other resorts and their pools, it looks like this part of the island may have been spared significant surge.
1664671317468.png

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I just got back from Marco about 30 minutes ago. We had some family condos to check on over near Sunrise Bay. There is definitely a lot of clean up that has to go on but you can drive around the island and one of the gas stations is open (the one over by Anglers Cove) I did not ride over by the beach but will be back down there in the next few days and will check it out.
@LMD, thanks for the update.

Reactions: LMD

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I read in an article I posted that there were 5000+ buildings damages in Marco Island. Does this make sense? Are there that many buildings in Marco Island? I assume they meant homes and other structures. If this is the case, how badly was Marco Island damaged?

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend’s physical therapy practice is on the bottom floor of the yellow building. She said it was “bone dry” inside
2CC25E42-25E0-4A2B-ADAF-0ACA654F0998.jpeg
572C5183-EE24-47A6-9F39-139D8A68B5CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had two reservations for Oct. 1. A 2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom. I talked to someone in "executive office" when I called the hotel phone line who told me they hope to open Monday or Tuesday and that I should change my points reservation to Monday, which I was able to do. Just a few minutes ago I got an email canceling the 2 bedroom reservation but not the 3 bedroom one. Maybe it's just a matter of time.
Please update us regarding whether you are able to check in tomorrow and the status of the resort. Thanks.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please update us regarding whether you are able to check in tomorrow and the status of the resort. Thanks.
According to the hub the resort is still closed.
They give phone numbers to call for more info-

Southwest Florida airport (RSW) is due to open Wednesday (10/5))

There is a post on the Crystal Shores Facebook page saying callers are being told they are closed through Friday.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the hub the resort is still closed.
They give phone numbers to call for more info-
Southwest Florida airport is due to open Wednesday.
I don't think they've updated the hub page in a few days. I've read other sources that power is restored in the area and I checked a few restaurants and they are open. Tomorrow was the check in date that KarenP was given, so I'm interested in whether it still occurs.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
RSW Airport Update
SOUTHWEST FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IS READY TO OPEN
FORT MYERS, Fla. (Oct. 2, 2022) – Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) in Fort Myers, Florida, will be opening on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2022, for limited commercial flight operations. There will be some changes we would like everyone to be aware of before coming to the airport.

• The initial hours of operation for security checkpoints at RSW will be between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. with flights operating between 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.
  • Due to impacts from Hurricane Ian, please use caution and leave extra time to get to the airport. The roadways at RSW are open.
  • Some of the many amenities you have come to expect at RSW may not be available when we first open. Concessions will have limited food and beverage and other items may be in short supply.
  • Although restrooms will be open, we will not have drinking water available in the terminal until the boil water notice in our area has been lifted.
  • For any questions about specific flights, please go to your airline directly as they will have the most up-to-date information.
  • When you get to the airport, check to see what gate your airline will be using. Some airlines will be operating from different concourses than usual.
  • The long- and short-term parking lots are open; however, shuttle buses may take a little longer.
  • Rental car agencies will have limited operations. Please contact your agency for the most current information. If you are using an off-airport rental car agency or hotel shuttle, please contact them directly.
  • Airport Plaza gas station and the 7-Eleven convenience store are open, but may have limited supplies.
  • The airport is not a public shelter. We ask that only people traveling come to the airport.
We will continue to post operational updates on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the airport’s website, flylcpa.com. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and patience during this difficult time. Our #1 priority is your safety and we needed to make sure everything at RSW was ready to serve our travelers and the community.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's rather disappointing that MVC hasn't updated the hub page with the current status and expected reopening date. The hub still shows power being out in the area, which is no longer true. I checked the Google maps and all roads in the area are open. Many restaurants nearby are also open, with the exception of Da Vinci's (temporarily closed). Any update would reduce the number of people trying to call the resort or owner services. It would be very helpful if they posted an update regarding the current resort status, what needs to be done to reopen, and whether it will likely be closed for an extended period of time. Time and inventory are running out if alternative point reservations will be needed, so timely updates would help all of us. They should provide a daily status report on the hubsite.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It's rather disappointing that MVC hasn't updated the hub page with the current status and expected reopening date. The hub still shows power being out in the area, which is no longer true. I checked the Google maps and all roads in the area are open. Many restaurants nearby are also open, with the exception of Da Vinci's (temporarily closed). Any update would reduce the number of people trying to call the resort or owner services. It would be very helpful if they posted an update regarding the current resort status, what needs to be done to reopen, and whether it will likely be closed for an extended period of time. Time and inventory are running out if alternative point reservations will be needed, so timely updates would help all of us. They should provide a daily status report on the hubsite.
MVC is certainly consistently lacking in the area of timely communications.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott's HUB website just plain sucks. Not only does it not have updated information, it is also clunky to use and the resort list doesn't load as you start to type in a resort name. Here is what it says about Sheraton Vistana Villages in Orlando. The Key West pool isn't supposed to be closed until January but the dates for that pool closure overlap with the St Augustine Pool being closed.
From Sept. 5–13, 2022, the St. Augustine Pool will be closed for refurbishment. All other resort pools and amenities are expected to remain open during this time.

The Key West Pool will be closed for refurbishment from Sep. 5, 2022, through Oct. 13, 2022. All other resort pools and amenities are expected to remain open during this time