• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marco Under Water?? / Hurricane Ian-impacted reservations ? [MERGED]

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Those would be from 2022 points banked forward into the 2023 Use Year....so they would expire 6/30/24 in your case.

Do you know if we are upgraded to Chairman’s Club after the Abound launch, would all of the already banked points get updated to the new booking window and then get the 2 year banking window? I recall when I went from Executive to Presidential, I think Marriott upgraded all banked points to 1.5 years but it is hard to remember.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Do you know if we are upgraded to Chairman’s Club after the Abound launch, would all banked points get uprated and then get the 2 year banking window? I recall when I went from Executive to Presidential, I think Marriott upgraded all banked points to 1.5 years but it is hard to remember.
Not sure if they will retro previously banked points, or just apply it to new bankings.

RManochio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
MVC DSII
We are booked to go Oct 29-Nov 5th. We used mostly 2022 points, but some 2023 points. i know if we cancel they go to holding account and have to book something only within 60 day travel. Anyone know how long we could extend that to? could we still travel until the end of 2023 with the 2022 points?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
We are booked to go Oct 29-Nov 5th. We used mostly 2022 points, but some 2023 points. i know if we cancel they go to holding account and have to book something only within 60 day travel. Anyone know how long we could extend that to? could we still travel until the end of 2023 with the 2022 points?
2022 points would expire at end of 2022, unless MVC chose to treat them differently because of the circumstances.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked the status at the Crystal Shores MVC page. Here is what was posted. There is no mention regarding resort closure or timing.

Important Alerts
Guests should be aware of the following:
Important Weather Update
Please be advised that Collier County has issued a MANDATORY evacuation order that affects Marriott's Crystal Shores due to the threat posed by Hurricane Ian. Due to this mandatory evacuation order, it is necessary to immediately take precautionary measures. Evacuations began Tuesday, September 27 and the resort is currently under a Hurricane Warning. Marriott’s Crystal Shores is without power and internet at this time.
We encourage you to actively monitor the current weather situation before you depart and check flight status through your airline carrier. Further updates on resort operating status will be provided on this page should weather conditions warrant.  

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone posted on the Crystal Shores Facebook group that their reservation for this weekend was cancelled but they were told the resort hoped to open again by the middle of next week.

There are other comments saying the resort didn’t flood.

Zagrid094

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Crystal Shores, Marriott's Grande Ocean, Marriott's Kauai Beach Club, Marriott's Manor Club, MVC Trust Points
I might cancel our Crystal Shores Marco Island for next June if I find out Marco Island had major catestrophic damage. I know most people will think that is dumb and it is too early. But I would need to find somewhere else to go now and for me, this is last minute.
Five years ago on Sunday, September 10, 2017, Hurricane Irma (coincidentally, another "I" named hurricane) made landfall on Marco Island as a Category 3 hurricane with winds measuring up to 130 mph. The eye of the storm passed directly over Marco Island. While there are similarities in terms of rapid intensification experienced with Irma with Ian, the storm paths were different. Hurricane Irma took more of a due north approach from Cuba which spared Naples, Fort Myers and points along the Florida Gulf Coast to the north from greater devastation as they were on the "weaker" side of the storm and the center of the storm was over land. Irma was more of a wind event even though Marco Island did experience storm surge of 3 feet, much less than the originally projected 15 ft. Marco Island experienced significantly lower wind gusts with Hurricane Ian since the eye of the storm passed further to the west, but the prolonged southwesterly direction of the winds once it passed by the island caused higher storm surge of 6 feet or more. Hurricane Ian made landfall further north as as a strong Category 4 hurricane near Sanibel and Captiva with winds measuring approximately 155 mph. We are now seeing the heart-wrenching images of communities in Charlotte and Lee Counties as well as northern Collier in the Naples area due to the catastrophic winds, high storm surge and heavy rains.

Power and communications were out for several days on Marco Island following Hurricane Irma while recovery, cleanup, and repairs where underway. By Friday, September 15, approximately 70% of the island had power and by Monday, September 18, the boil water notice was lifted. My DW and I were able to visit Crystal Shores on October 7-18, 2017 following Irma so it took less than a month for the resort to resume partial operations. We were fortunate that our reservations were not cancelled. At that time only the original Egret building which is located closest to the Gulf was open. Crystal Shores was only honoring weeks and points owner reservations with Gulf Front and Gulf Side views. The newer Osprey building had been scheduled to open in September, but was damaged due to Hurricane Irma so its opening was delayed until repairs were completed.

It remains to be seen how quickly Crystal Shores will reopen following Hurricane Ian since its effects were different from Irma, but I know the management and staff there are extremely dedicated and will work hard to make the property safe and ready as quickly as possible for occupancy to be enjoyed by their guests. Marco Island is a special place and we've become friends with several of the Crystal Shores staff and area restaurant owners visiting each year since 2009. Unfortunately, we were scheduled to visit Crystal Shores beginning this coming Sunday for two weeks and I suspect we will be unable to make the trip this year. Here is one video providing an example of the storm surge experienced on Marco Island which was posted today on you tube:

My thoughts and prayers are with all the residents in Florida and the southeast affected by this storm.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Someone posted on the Crystal Shores Facebook group that their reservation for this weekend was cancelled but they were told the resort hoped to open again by the middle of next week.

There are other comments saying the resort didn’t flood.

Great news. Marco Island is a bit south of where the hurricane hit so I would expect less damage. Hopefully it re-opens soon and the people of Marco Island are okay with not too much damage.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Five years ago on Sunday, September 10, 2017, Hurricane Irma (coincidentally, another "I" named hurricane) made landfall on Marco Island as a Category 3 hurricane with winds measuring up to 130 mph. The eye of the storm passed directly over Marco Island. While there are similarities in terms of rapid intensification experienced with Irma with Ian, the storm paths were different. Hurricane Irma took more of a due north approach from Cuba which spared Naples, Fort Myers and points along the Florida Gulf Coast to the north from greater devastation as they were on the "weaker" side of the storm and the center of the storm was over land. Irma was more of a wind event even though Marco Island did experience storm surge of 3 feet, much less than the originally projected 15 ft. Marco Island experienced significantly lower wind gusts with Hurricane Ian since the eye of the storm passed further to the west, but the prolonged southwesterly direction of the winds once it passed by the island caused higher storm surge of 6 feet or more. Hurricane Ian made landfall further north as as a strong Category 4 hurricane near Sanibel and Captiva with winds measuring approximately 155 mph. We are now seeing the heart-wrenching images of communities in Charlotte and Lee Counties as well as northern Collier in the Naples area due to the catastrophic winds, high storm surge and heavy rains.

Power and communications were out for several days on Marco Island following Hurricane Irma while recovery, cleanup, and repairs where underway. By Friday, September 15, approximately 70% of the island had power and by Monday, September 18, the boil water notice was lifted. My DW and I were able to visit Crystal Shores on October 7-18, 2017 following Irma so it took less than a month for the resort to resume partial operations. We were fortunate that our reservations were not cancelled. At that time only the original Egret building which is located closest to the Gulf was open. Crystal Shores was only honoring weeks and points owner reservations with Gulf Front and Gulf Side views. The newer Osprey building had been scheduled to open in September, but was damaged due to Hurricane Irma so its opening was delayed until repairs were completed.

It remains to be seen how quickly Crystal Shores will reopen following Hurricane Ian since its effects were different from Irma, but I know the management and staff there are extremely dedicated and will work hard to make the property safe and ready as quickly as possible for occupancy to be enjoyed by their guests. Marco Island is a special place and we've become friends with several of the Crystal Shores staff and area restaurant owners visiting each year since 2009. Unfortunately, we were scheduled to visit Crystal Shores beginning this coming Sunday for two weeks and I suspect we will be unable to make the trip this year. Here is one video providing an example of the storm surge experienced on Marco Island which was posted today on you tube:

My thoughts and prayers are with all the residents in Florida and the southeast affected by this storm.

Irma did cause cause some major damage. My father’s house in Naples had major damage and he could not live in it for a long time. He was a bit inland from the coast and still had a lot of damage. Irma caused major flooding. My father’s house was a newer once and raised but he had 6+ feet of flooding around the mound where his home was built. It took a long time to recede. He was in the house and he said never again will he stay in a home during a hurricane. He thought they would die. He evacuated to Miami this time although my stepmother stayed by herself.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would worry about any cars in the Marco Island Crystal Shores garage "if" the garage flooded with high water........ My guess that vehicles flooded by salt water are a total loss.

I think you'll end up seeing a lot of Florida salvage or totaled vehicles hitting the market over the next six months.

Zagrid094

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Crystal Shores, Marriott's Grande Ocean, Marriott's Kauai Beach Club, Marriott's Manor Club, MVC Trust Points
Irma did cause cause some major damage. My father’s house in Naples had major damage and he could not live in it for a long time. He was a bit inland from the coast and still had a lot of damage. Irma caused major flooding. My father’s house was a newer once and raised but he had 6+ feet of flooding around the mound where his home was built. It took a long time to recede. He was in the house and he said never again will he stay in a home during a hurricane. He thought they would die. He evacuated to Miami this time although my stepmother stayed by herself.
Dear TravelTime, my apologies to you and your father. I was not implying that there was little damage to those living in Naples or areas further north of Marco Island as a result of Irma. Each storm will affect residents in different ways depending on where they live (inland or coastal area, which side of the storm, high tide/low tide, speed of the hurricane for example). I was merely attempting to compare the two storms and their affect on Marco Island and point out that the recovery one can expect for Crystal Shores to reopen is on the order of weeks and not months.

I hope your stepmother faired well with this most recent hurricane.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear TravelTime, my apologies to you and your father. I was not implying that there was little damage to those living in Naples or areas further north of Marco Island as a result of Irma. Each storm will affect residents in different ways depending on where they live (inland or coastal area, which side of the storm, high tide/low tide, speed of the hurricane for example). I was merely attempting to compare the two storms and their affect on Marco Island and point out that the recovery one can expect for Crystal Shores to reopen is on the order of weeks and not months.

I hope your stepmother faired well with this most recent hurricane.
Our subdivision was hit very hard by Irma, in Estero

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure where to post this and do not want to start a new thread.

“Sanibel is destruction,” Governor said, referring to the island off the coast of Fort Myers. He described the impact, which washed away three sections of the Sanibel Causeway, as a "really Biblican storm surge.”

“We’re committed to restoring the infrastructure as needed. That is not going to be an overnight task,” said DeSantis.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I just received my ‘plan your vacation” email from Crystal Shores for our stay in 3 weeks.
I guess they are automatically sent, no storm info included.
When I saw the preview I thought they were cancelling.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I recall, no rooms on ground floor.

These Googled pics seem to bear that out.

It looks like they planned for hurricane. The lowest level units are higher up and the level by the pool is open air. I wonder how high up the pool level is. I guess it will probably be rebuilt fairly quickly and re-open soon. The rest of the island may take more time. I would guess downtown Naples will take a long time. But we mainly do nothing except the resort and beach when we go on vacation. So even if not a lot is open yet, it will be fine with us. So sorry for the locals who are suffering through this.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I just received my ‘plan your vacation” email from Crystal Shores for our stay in 3 weeks.
I guess they are automatically sent, no storm info included.
When I saw the preview I thought they were cancelling.
I received my email last week for our 10/15 arrival. I'll post if I have any additional communication from them.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
It looks like they planned for hurricane. The lowest level units are higher up and the level by the pool is open air. I wonder how high up the pool level is. I guess it will probably be rebuilt fairly quickly and re-open soon. The rest of the island may take more time. I would guess downtown Naples will take a long time. But we mainly do nothing except the resort and beach when we go on vacation. So even if not a lot is open yet, it will be fine with us. So sorry for the locals who are suffering through this.
The upper pool (newest and further from the ocean) is several feet higher in elevation than the lower pool. It’s gotta be 6+ feet higher by my recollection. That one hopefully saw less water surge damage.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had two reservations for Oct. 1. A 2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom. I talked to someone in "executive office" when I called the hotel phone line who told me they hope to open Monday or Tuesday and that I should change my points reservation to Monday, which I was able to do. Just a few minutes ago I got an email canceling the 2 bedroom reservation but not the 3 bedroom one. Maybe it's just a matter of time.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had two reservations for Oct. 1. A 2 bedroom and a 3 bedroom. I talked to someone in "executive office" when I called the hotel phone line who told me they hope to open Monday or Tuesday and that I should change my points reservation to Monday, which I was able to do. Just a few minutes ago I got an email canceling the 2 bedroom reservation but not the 3 bedroom one. Maybe it's just a matter of time.
Wa the 2BR in the older buildings (gulf front or gulf side)? The 3BR would be in the new tower and it would be less likely to receive damage.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wa the 2BR in the older buildings (gulf front or gulf side)? The 3BR would be in the new tower and it would be less likely to receive damage.
There are 3BR units in the gulf front building, but I understand they are the top floor. So they wouldn't have sustained any surge damage, but intrusion could still be an issue. The rest of the 3BR units are in the new tower. Again no surge or flood concerns, but intrusion around the patio door is a possibility.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
The Hub updated today. I am also booked for a 10/15 arrival. Restoration of power seems to be the biggest issue right now as reports are that the resort did not have flooding (even in the pools). If they can repair the grid it will take much less time than if they have to rebuild the grid.

Important Alerts
Guests should be aware of the following:
Important Weather Update
Before your departure, we wanted to make you aware that Hurricane Ian is no longer impacting the resort. However, the property is currently closed as the management team assesses and remediates storm damage. Additionally, the resort is currently without power and water service has been interrupted.
During the closure, updates on the resort’s operating status will be provided on this page. We look forward to welcoming you back to Marriott's Crystal Shores in the near future.
Please contact our team if you have further questions:
  • Owners: Please contact Owner Services at 1-888-682-4862.
  • Interval Exchange guests: Please contact Interval directly at 1-800-468-3782.
  • Renters: Please contact Customer Care at 1-800-860-9384.

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are owners at Crystal Shores and I am cautiously optimistic that damage will be limited to parking garage and lower pool deck/breezeway, and likely the beach access boardwalks. Stilts should be OK too though water probably got into the dining area. There are no rooms on first floor so room damage would likely only be from water seeping in. We are hearing this was mainly a water event in Marco as opposed to wind so the hurricane doors and windows should have held up fine. Even the upper pool deck with pizza, gym, and activity room are lifted so it was built smartly. The lobby and check in area is also significantly higher than Collier Blvd. We are scheduled to go in November. The big question is what will be open in surrounding area - shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. Many of these did not sit as high. I am sure much of downtown Naples will also still be rebuilding.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please do not drive your vehicle in flooded water. Remember your vehicle is one big computer.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a house and Naples and was fortunate that everything in his neighborhood is OK. He was supposed to fly there on Tuesday, but the Ft Myers airport is supposed to be closed until 10/7.

Update 10/1 This was posted on RSW website.
Operational Updates
Hurricane Ian

RSW Update 10/1, 11:30 a.m.: The airport team is working tirelessly to get RSW safely open and operational. Your safety is our #1 priority. Once we have a date/time when we can resume commercial flights, we will post here, social media and share with news outlets.

All flights are cancelled until the airport has power and water restored. The RSW Team is working round-the-clock to make sure everything is working properly.

You can pick up your car from the long- and short-term parking lots from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Please go to your airline's website for re-booking and other flight information.

Here is link to their website.

Last edited: