• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marco Under Water?? / Hurricane Ian-impacted reservations ? [MERGED]

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
I'm hearing Marco Island is under water. It's one of my favorite places in the MVC portfolio. Wishing everyone in Florida safe wishes and speedy recovery.

marriottdude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Westin/St. Johns and Grand Vista Owner
Here's a donation site from the American Red Cross for those interested:

PsuFrh

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Canyon Villas
Hoping it's not a total destruction at Crystal Shores and everyone is safe.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Hoping it's not a total destruction at Crystal Shores and everyone is safe.

I’m pretty certain it’s not “total” destruction. Ground floor amenities and the pools will likely need attention, but my bet is the resort is back up and running not long after the city gets all services up and running again.

Ocean Pointe got whacked by three hurricanes in one season and it’s still standing. I’m sure Crystal Shires will be just fine

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty certain it’s not “total” destruction. Ground floor amenities and the pools will likely need attention, but my bet is the resort is back up and running not long after the city gets all services up and running again.

Ocean Pointe got whacked by three hurricanes in one season and it’s still standing. I’m sure Crystal Shires will be just fine
I would expect the new pool and tower to be in pretty good shape because they are on higher ground. One problem will be getting there, since Naples and Ft Myers suffered severe damage and are still getting heavy rain and wind.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not there, but many of my friends are. Power is out and it stormed all day so no one could walk around the neighborhood. So far sounds like damage along beaches and coast. It was horrible, as my neighbor said, pretty wild. No pictures of Times Square but someone stated there is no fort myers beach.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It took a few years to rebuild St Thomas and St John after the hurricane over there. Wouldn’t it take a long time to rebuild Crystal Shores and the Marco Island infrastructure? You would not want to go to Crystal Shores if the resorts, restaurants and other infrastructure is not rebuilt too. I guess it depends on how much devastation has been experienced in Marco Island after all is said and done. We have a reservation to go to Crystal Shores next June.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My neighbor said 12 hours of severe storm shaking house, house is cement block construction and 7 hours of wind over 100. Giant palms down, landscaping shredded, cages gone, but houses intact. Neighbor says no standing water on our street. They drained the pond behind us prior to hurricane and cleaned all drains in subdivision

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A lot will also depend on water intrusion. Watter getting into the villas can take them offline for a while. I beleive they had issues like this in HHI and Ocean Pointe in past storms. The resort may be offline for just a few weeks or a few months. Hard to tell until they can get in there and assess any damage.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Water intrusion into elevator shafts could be a big issue there if that were to occur. Lots of floors at Crystal Shores.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And it looks like it may make another landfall near HHI…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Water intrusion into elevator shafts could be a big issue there if that were to occur. Lots of floors at Crystal Shores.

I hope that doesn’t happen. If it does expect to see higher MF for repairs/ Insurance deductible and higher premiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
It took a few years to rebuild St Thomas and St John after the hurricane over there. Wouldn’t it take a long time to rebuild Crystal Shores and the Marco Island infrastructure? You would not want to go to Crystal Shores if the resorts, restaurants and other infrastructure is not rebuilt too. I guess it depends on how much devastation has been experienced in Marco Island after all is said and done. We have a reservation to go to Crystal Shores next June.

Not so much. Building supplies are easier to come by stateside than on a Caribbean Island.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I would expect the new pool and tower to be in pretty good shape because they are on higher ground. One problem will be getting there, since Naples and Ft Myers suffered severe damage and are still getting heavy rain and wind.

True, but if the street are impassable due to flooding, I suspect there will be some issues with the pools

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Pointe was closed for a few weeks after a hurricane. The primary problem was water damage to the ocean front villas as a result of water seepage through the windows during heavy wind/rain. Several villas were out of commission for more than a month, and interval exchanges were cancelled due to capacity issues. I've seen several pictures and videos of Marco Island and flooding appears to be the primary problem. I didn't see a lot of debris from wind damage, so hopefully the villas won't be impacted. I expect the original pool area will have issues, as well as the parking garage.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Ocean Pointe was closed for a few weeks after a hurricane. The primary problem was water damage to the ocean front villas as a result of water seepage through the windows during heavy wind/rain. Several villas were out of commission for more than a month, and interval exchanges were cancelled due to capacity issues. I've seen several pictures and videos of Marco Island and flooding appears to be the primary problem. I didn't see a lot of debris from wind damage, so hopefully the villas won't be impacted. I expect the original pool area will have issues, as well as the parking garage.

.....and if any storm surge at all, the elevator shafts!
Water and sand accumulate at the bottom.....that issue sidelined Grande Ocean's elevators for a while
after a couple of hurricanes in the last 10 years.....Matthew in 2016 & Irma in 2017.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ian was (and will surely be for quite some time into the future) a truly horrific event for much of Florida and for coastal SW FL in particular. It's hard to even absorb and fully comprehend from afar the level of destruction and the sheer magnitude of suffering, loss and hardship created by this "storm" for so many people there.

Try to imagine, just for example, the current plight of folks who did not evacuate Lee County's Sanibel Island, where access and / or exit is only via a causeway connecting the island to the "mainland. About 60 feet of the causeway ramp leading up to the bridge has been completely destroyed and is now just plain gone. Sure, it will be rebuilt when that becomes possible but, in the meantime, no one is getting on or off that island by any means other than emergency helo Medivac.

Last edited:

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
I posted this on another thread as I am booked in Crystal Shores in a little over two weeks from now. The JW Marriott had water into the pool but not into the building. They were open during the storm but Crystal Shores was not. There is no power on the island and cell and internet are spotty. A lot of people are posting after pictures on their phones (and before) and the flooding was significant. Fort Myers was hit very hard and as mentioned above, Sanibel is shut off from the rest of Florida. RSW (Fort Myers airport) has cancelled all flights today. Reports I read are that they are working to get the power back on today and clean up debris.

For my upcoming reservation, it is a wait and see. If I can get there and I can stay there, I will go and try to help where I can, even if it is just with my $$$. I am very sad for the residents, they are suffering there. We all have catastrophic events that can occur where we live (for me it is wild fires that happen every year). We all live there anyway because we choose to. When we have a major wildfire I am grateful for people to try to help where they can. That's all we can do for Florida now.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I posted this on another thread as I am booked in Crystal Shores in a little over two weeks from now. The JW Marriott had water into the pool but not into the building. They were open during the storm but Crystal Shores was not. There is no power on the island and cell and internet are spotty. A lot of people are posting after pictures on their phones (and before) and the flooding was significant. Fort Myers was hit very hard and as mentioned above, Sanibel is shut off from the rest of Florida. RSW (Fort Myers airport) has cancelled all flights today. Reports I read are that they are working to get the power back on today and clean up debris.

For my upcoming reservation, it is a wait and see. If I can get there and I can stay there, I will go and try to help where I can, even if it is just with my $$$. I am very sad for the residents, they are suffering there. We all have catastrophic events that can occur where we live (for me it is wild fires that happen every year). We all live there anyway because we choose to. When we have a major wildfire I am grateful for people to try to help where they can. That's all we can do for Florida now.

I feel so sorry for everyone in FL who is suffering. This was a big one. I hope the repairs happen quickly for their sake.

Good point that we all live where catastrophic events can happen. I have lived in FL with hurricanes, SF Bay Area with earthquakes and now in the Sierra mountain foothills with wildfires. Any place I have considered moving to has its own set of natural disasters that can happen.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I might cancel our Crystal Shores Marco Island for next June if I find out Marco Island had major catestrophic damage. I know most people will think that is dumb and it is too early. But I would need to find somewhere else to go now and for me, this is last minute.

It could be perfectly fine but I am not the “wait and see” type. Not sure where I would want to go instead. If may actually wait and see unless my points expire in 2023. I need to call Marriott because I do not understand how to figure out which points I used for Marco Island.

We might decide to go nowhere next June since we are going to to Fiji for 3 weeks in July. We also have 12-14 days booked for Hawaii in April. We have about 8 weeks vacation per year so I need to calculate how much my husband will be using next year.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I need to call Marriott because I do not understand how to figure out which points I used for Marco Island.
If you sign into your MVC account, click Use Points from top menu, then Points Reservations in the pull down, and while looking at the list of upcoming Ressys....you will see a "View" link on the right hand side of each ressy. If you click that, you can see exactly what points you used for that ressy.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you sign into your MVC account, click Use Points from top menu, then Points Reservations in the pull down, and while looking at the list of upcoming Ressys....you will see a "View" link on the right hand side of each ressy. If you click that, you can see exactly what points you used for that ressy.

Great, I see it. It says Trust Banked Points Use Year 2023. I am currently Presidential so I get 1.5 years when I bank. If it says Use Year is 2023, does that mean they expire on July 1, 2024 or July 1, 2023? If they expire on July 1, 2023, I will need to see if I can move some points around.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Great, I see it. It says Trust Banked Points Use Year 2023. I am currently Presidential so I get 1.5 years when I bank. If it says Use Year is 2023, does that mean they expire on July 1, 2024 or July 1, 2023? If they expire on July 1, 2023, I will need to see if I can move some points around.
Those would be from 2022 points banked forward into the 2023 Use Year....so they would expire 6/30/24 in your case.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those would be from 2022 points banked forward into the 2023 Use Year....so they would expire 6/30/24 in your case.

Okay that is good. So if we cancel then we could use the points for Spring Break 2024. But that would be risky if we need to cancel so close to expiration. Now I can see why people say it is good to bank points into a future use year if you get extra time to use them.

Problem right now is if we cancel Crystal Shores, it is hard to book anything for June 2023 since all the good locations would tend to be gone by now for 7-10 nights. I guess wait and see is best. I was looking at the Marco Island Facebook page and it looks like they might be up and running this year. Roads are still open and the flooding would affect 1st floor mainly.

@dioxide45 You are a MVC expert. Do you know if the first floor at Crystal Shores has any units? Is the garage underground?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
As I recall, no rooms on ground floor.

These Googled pics seem to bear that out.