• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
First Time Resale Buyer just doing research... There is likely a thread out there already, but I'm struggling to find it if so. I am looking at buying a Mandatory SVN Unit. I was hoping someone can point me in the direction of rules that accompany this.

Main Questions are below...

I understand buying at a Mandatory allows StarOptions to transfer. But am I limited in using them at other mandatory resorts? or can I book anything in the SVN Network? If my purchase is Floating (High), does that limit me to those weeks at any resort or once 8 months out hits, am I able to book any week with my available StarOptions?

Thanks for the help all! Much Appreciated!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Whether you buy from the developer or on the resale market, you can use the Staroptions to book anything that is available in the Vistana System. With a resale, you can make your reservation at 8 mos. before the check-in date.

We can be more specific if you post what you are buying: Resort, season, size, view (if applicable.)

Welcome to TUG! :hi:

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella Phase)
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club - Cancun Villas & Los Cabos Villas
Bluegreen - The Club at Big Bear & The Fountains, Orlando
First Time Resale Buyer just doing research... There is likely a thread out there already, but I'm struggling to find it if so. I am looking at buying a Mandatory SVN Unit. I was hoping someone can point me in the direction of rules that accompany this.

Main Questions are below...

I understand buying at a Mandatory allows StarOptions to transfer. But am I limited in using them at other mandatory resorts? or can I book anything in the SVN Network? If my purchase is Floating (High), does that limit me to those weeks at any resort or once 8 months out hits, am I able to book any week with my available StarOptions?

Thanks for the help all! Much Appreciated!

As a fellow recent resale buyer, I think I can answer these with 99% accuracy

As long as you buy a unit at a mandatory resort, you can use the StarOptions for a unit at any resort in the SVN network any time of the year, any unit size, etc 8 months in advance. In terms of booking, points are points, it doesn’t matter if you buy a medium season or low season or what week you buy, you can book anywhere, anytime so long as you have enough points.

That being said, the main thing that matters with the week, season, unit size, etc is the maintenance fee ratio to the number of points you’re receiving for that unit. Medium seasons have less points than high seasons for example but the maintenance fees really don’t differ all that much so the high season is typically a better value.

Hope that helps!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
You will generally be limited to booking at the resort within the season you purchased at the 8-12 month mark. Once 8 months hits you can try to book at any available resort. Some resorts in the system have event weeks that you likely won't be able to book (i.e., Hawaii weeks 51-52)

Generally, you will want to purchase the highest season you can afford. You will pay the same maintenance fees for a 2BR Platinum Plus at WKV as you would for a Gold Plus week. The Platinum Plus is worth 148,100 SO, the Gold Plus receives 81,000 SO. Needless to say, plat plus units cost much more.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
As a fellow recent resale buyer, I think I can answer these with 99% accuracy

As long as you buy a unit at a mandatory resort, you can use the StarOptions for a unit at any resort in the SVN network any time of the year, any unit size, etc 8 months in advance. In terms of booking, points are points, it doesn’t matter if you buy a medium season or low season or what week you buy, you can book anywhere, anytime so long as you have enough points.

That being said, the main thing that matters with the week, season, unit size, etc is the maintenance fee ratio to the number of points you’re receiving for that unit. Medium seasons have less points than high seasons for example but the maintenance fees really don’t differ all that much so the high season is typically a better value.

Hope that helps!
Thank you thank you! This is what I thought, but I had a friend tell me otherwise so I wanted to confirm here. Thinking of buying at WSJ/SVV/harborside. Have a lot of great resale offerings right now. Trying to decide between 2br for 148k or a premium 1br w/ 81k. Will likely need high season (plat +) to accomplish that at those resorts.
Thanks again!

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
You will generally be limited to booking at the resort within the season you purchased at the 8-12 month mark. Once 8 months hits you can try to book at any available resort. Some resorts in the system have event weeks that you likely won't be able to book (i.e., Hawaii weeks 51-52)

Generally, you will want to purchase the highest season you can afford. You will pay the same maintenance fees for a 2BR Platinum Plus at WKV as you would for a Gold Plus week. The Platinum Plus is worth 148,100 SO, the Gold Plus receives 81,000 SO. Needless to say, plat plus units cost much more.
Copy that! Thank you, trying to find a good deal that will yield 81k, but contemplating going all in for the 2br yielding 148k (WSJ/SVV/harborside have competing offerings). Just me and fiancé now, so not too much need to the 2br quite yet.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Copy that! Thank you, trying to find a good deal that will yield 81k, but contemplating going all in for the 2br yielding 148k (WSJ/SVV/harborside have competing offerings). Just me and fiancé now, so not too much need to the 2br quite yet.
81k is a good number to start with.

SVV (Bella and Key West) 2BR platinum non-lock-offs will give you 81,000 SO. The other popular one is a 1BR platinum plus at WKV.

Harborside and WSJ are very expensive on a $MF/Point basis, but owning there will be good if you want to visit those resorts on a regular basis during prime season.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Whether you buy from the developer or on the resale market, you can use the Staroptions to book anything that is available in the Vistana System. With a resale, you can make your reservation at 8 mos. before the check-in date.

We can be more specific if you post what you are buying: Resort, season, size, view (if applicable.)

Welcome to TUG! :hi:
Looking into SVV, WSJ, Harborside, as those have some of the best deals as far as I can see (many $2000 or less) As @jabberwocky pointed out, it may come down to the $MF/SO payout. To get the best options pay out, I think floating (high - plat/ plat+) would be best.

Just my fiancé and I, so a SO yield of 81,000 (1br villa in most places) is likely a good goal resulting from my purchase. Size of unit I would be buying Varies with that in mind. I would consider going up to a unit that yields 97,500 or 148,100 depending on the deal but targeting 81k.

flexibility is key as far as where I can use this. So I’m more focused on the SO Yield more so than ownership resort. My dad owns at kierland, and has never been once.

Happy to hear any recommendation or advice with that in mind.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
As noted by @jabberwocky, WSJ and Harbourside are on the high side for cost per SO. At SVV, a dedicated 2 BR prime week is probably a good approach for getting the 81k you're looking for; a 1 BR prime week worth 44K would work out to a better cost if it were an add on to an account with other ownerships, but you'd need two to get up to your target and that would mean paying more for the VSN fees and it doesn't get you to a round number that corresponds to an easy usage (i.e., 88k isn't an even week - could be good for a couple of 1 BR weeks, though). I've got one of each of those; the 2 BR has the added flexibility of being something I can use with ThirdHome as an alternate exchange system and the 1 BR is a better SO generator. If I were only buying one, I'd prefer the 2 BR. The 1 BR WKV would be even better (ThirdHome takes 1 BR weeks there), but would cost more to buy in the first place.

rad.travel.dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella Phase)
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club - Cancun Villas & Los Cabos Villas
Bluegreen - The Club at Big Bear & The Fountains, Orlando
Thank you thank you! This is what I thought, but I had a friend tell me otherwise so I wanted to confirm here. Thinking of buying at WSJ/SVV/harborside. Have a lot of great resale offerings right now. Trying to decide between 2br for 148k or a premium 1br w/ 81k. Will likely need high season (plat +) to accomplish that at those resorts.
Thanks again!

No problem! Like others said on this thread, WSJ & Harborside are probably the worst ratios you will find in terms of points per maintenance fee $.

I purchased a resale of a SVV 2 Bedroom Platinum (Bella) with 81k StarOptions annually which is one of the best values especially since you can regularly find them for near free or cheap on the initial purchase price (I paid $100 initial). I see a couple on Tug2.com Marketplace for around $1,500 initial buy-in for Bella or Key West.

Westin Kierland Villas is said to be the best in terms of the point to $ ratio, however, the initial buy-in prices can be $12k+ typically so it's a longer-term play for savings on that one but those may also be easier to resale in the future versus an Orlando property. But, if you pay almost nothing to buy-in like you would with SVV, you won't feel bad about giving it away so, it's up to you.

Also, in my opinion, I would rather get 2 81k StarOptions units instead of one 148k StarOptions unit so if in the future, you want to downsize your timeshares for whatever reason, you can just sell one and keep the other. One unit with around ~$2k in MFs is probably easier to sell than one unit with ~$4k MFs in my opinion.

...One other thought, with SVN, you can buy a two-bedroom for more points but you can use it to book studios and one-bedrooms if that size is fine for you. BUT, if you're thinking of buying to exchange with Interval International (II), keep in mind that you can only trade into II for the same size you actually own so if you buy a two-bedroom, you can only get two-bedroom units at other properties on II so it may be better to buy a few one-bedrooms in that case (which is actually something I'm considering doing now for this very reason since we don't typically need two bedrooms at this point in our lives anyway being young marrieds with 2 young kids) and it sounds like you're in a similar situation since it's just you and your fiance.

Just some things to think about! Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
No problem! Like others said on this thread, WSJ & Harborside are probably the worst ratios you will find in terms of points per maintenance fee $.

I purchased a resale of a SVV 2 Bedroom Platinum (Bella) with 81k StarOptions annually which is one of the best values especially since you can regularly find them for near free or cheap on the initial purchase price (I paid $100 initial). I see a couple on Tug2.com Marketplace for around $1,500 initial buy-in for Bella or Key West.

Westin Kierland Villas is said to be the best in terms of the point to $ ratio, however, the initial buy-in prices can be $12k+ typically so it's a longer-term play for savings on that one but those may also be easier to resale in the future versus an Orlando property. But, if you pay almost nothing to buy-in like you would with SVV, you won't feel bad about giving it away so, it's up to you.

Also, in my opinion, I would rather get 2 81k StarOptions units instead of one 148k StarOptions unit so if in the future, you want to downsize your timeshares for whatever reason, you can just sell one and keep the other. One unit with around ~$2k in MFs is probably easier to sell than one unit with ~$4k MFs in my opinion.

...One other thought, with SVN, you can buy a two-bedroom for more points but you can use it to book studios and one-bedrooms if that size is fine for you. BUT, if you're thinking of buying to exchange with Interval International (II), keep in mind that you can only trade into II for the same size you actually own so if you buy a two-bedroom, you can only get two-bedroom units at other properties on II so it may be better to buy a few one-bedrooms in that case (which is actually something I'm considering doing now for this very reason since we don't typically need two bedrooms at this point in our lives anyway being young marrieds with 2 young kids) and it sounds like you're in a similar situation since it's just you and your fiance.

Just some things to think about! Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.
All great notes to keep in mind. You’re talking me into the SVV 2Br it sounds like. Best for II and the 81k options. Really great add about the 148,000 sum with 2 units.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
All great notes to keep in mind. You’re talking me into the SVV 2Br it sounds like. Best for II and the 81k options. Really great add about the 148,000 sum with 2 units.

Another option (higher MF/ratio) is the 2 bedroom SVV lockout. That’s something you can turn into two weeks in a one bedroom each week. It also helps if you have any extended family coming with you, as they would have their own unit. For a 2bedroom LO at SVV its 95,700 SO. I owned that and it worked out well getting an oceanfront one bedroom in April and may the following year at Westin kaanapali north. Again, the ratio is higher but being able to turn it into two weeks using SO or depositing half in interval for exchange is a benefit. Sometimes you have to factor in usability not just cost.

I own a 81K 2 bedroom, it’s great but I’m hesitant on depositing it into interval for exchange. I’d rather deposit a 1 bedroom and pay an upgrade fee if I see something in II I like. I may be looking to release that one soon if something else comes along.

Last edited:

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
T
Another option (higher MF/ratio) is the 2 bedroom SVV lockout. That’s something you can turn into two weeks in a one bedroom each week. It also helps if you have any extended family coming with you, as they would have their own unit. For a 2bedroom LO at SVV its 95,700 SO. I owned that and it worked out well getting an oceanfront one bedroom in April and may the following year at Westin kaanapali north. Again, the ratio is higher but being able to turn it into two weeks using SO or depositing half in interval for exchange is a benefit. Sometimes you have to factor in usability not just cost.

I own a 81K 2 bedroom, it’s great but I’m hesitant on depositing it into interval for exchange. I’d rather deposit a 1 bedroom and pay an upgrade fee if I see something in II I like. I may be looking to release that one soon if something else comes along.
Thank you! Just left kaanapali South Ocean Front. My family had a 2 br LO. The patio is larger than the ocean views on the premium side, well worth the upgrade.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thank you! Just left kaanapali South Ocean Front. My family had a 2 br LO. The patio is larger than the ocean views on the premium side, well worth the upgrade.

So you’re looking at 148,100SO? Not sure what you’re ok with spending but the WKV 2 bedroom platinum is the absolute best value.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So you’re looking at 148,100SO? Not sure what you’re ok with spending but the WKV 2 bedroom platinum is the absolute best value.

If it was a 2-bedroom lockoff Ocean Front then it was 176,700 SO.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If it was a 2-bedroom lockoff Ocean Front then it was 176,700 SO.
True, I was going back to their original few posts where they mentioned 148K but yes the OF would be 176K.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
Ha
Ha! Sorry not clear. Not mine, family owns there... just commenting more so that we noticed the south patios on ocean front seemed better than ocean view and North Oceanfront just food for thought
@controller1
Sorry that was confusing, just added the note.:)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
From what I understand, the 257,700 StarOption week at WSJ does have a pretty good SO to MF ratio too.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
My dad owns at kierland, and has never been once.

How many SO does he get with the WKV unit?
Is that something you’re going to be inheriting down the road?

If so, maybe the 2bedroom 81K SVV would work for you for now. Stay away from harborside!! You’ll be stuck with that forever and is probably the worst SO/MF ratio.

tstiv1996

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV-Bella
How many SO does he get with the WKV unit?
Is that something you’re going to be inheriting down the road?

If so, maybe the 2bedroom 81K SVV would work for you for now. Stay away from harborside!! You’ll be stuck with that forever and is probably the worst SO/MF ratio.
That’s what I’m hearing about harborside, it’s good input. Liking SVV.

148,100 from WKV. It’s nothing I plan to inherent soon haha. Not shopping with that in mind right now.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
That’s what I’m hearing about harborside, it’s good input. Liking SVV.

148,100 from WKV. It’s nothing I plan to inherent soon haha. Not shopping with that in mind right now.
Yeah SVV is an easy buy in. If you’re planning on just using SO then go with 81K. But if you want the option for two weeks using interval go with the lockout. Remember for SVV it’s Key West or Bella only. There are also lockouts worth 81K so make sure you’re going after the “right” 81K 2 bedroom.

Platinum
2 bedroom 81K
2 bedroom LockOut 95,700

Gold
2 bedroom 67,100 SO
2 bedroom lockout 81K

Pay attention to the SO calendar and the week assigned to the listing. Also, Bella phase has different weeks for platinum that don’t exactly align with the SO Chart.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
@tstiv1996 I only skimmed these posts so maybe I missed it. But verify the section at SVV, not all sections are mandatory. :)