• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Long lines, lots of kids, and plenty to touch: How does Disney reopen its parks?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Many are saying locally Disneyland won’t open until Fall.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Disney *will* do. But, I can think of things they *can* do -- limit theme parks guests to those stays in Disney hotels (and perhaps to Disney "Hood neighbor" hotels -- hey have those in FL as well as CA), increase the number of Fast Passes, but turn people away from regular lines when they ques get too full; and run the restaurants half-full. Another thing would be to stagger closing times of shops, restaurants and rides, to stop the pile-up of people all leaving at once. Canceling the parades and fireworks would help, too -- or having just the high, aerial fireworks, which can be seen from pretty well fro much everywhere, not just the Castle forecourt.

I suspect going to WDW is safer than living or working in Manhattan, -- in NYC, the crowding is everywhere, and people face it every day. IN WDW, you're only there for a week or so.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they will have to wait long enough for people to already be used to social distancing. There are still lots of people who don't understand the concept. I had to go to the grocery store for my husband a couple days ago and there were still people stopping in the middle of the aisles looking aimlessly at stuff that they don't want to buy. I'm talking about the people who don't move to the side. They have to stop and stand in the middle, making passing extremely difficult. During my dog walk yesterday, there were still plenty of people not wearing masks (which goes against the county order) who also don't want to bother moving to the side when passing. The sidewalk is less than 6 feet across. Either they have no idea how to behave with social distancing, or they are too entitled to wear and mask and take a step to the side. I'm not talking about a couple people. There's still a lot of people doing that.

People are Disneyland are often very pushy and totally spaced out about personal space. Until society at large gets used to social distancing, I don't think Disney should reopen. I read on another forum that one of the Asia Disney parks had permission to reopen 6+ weeks ago and they still haven't. I suppose the parks that closed first (the ones in Asia) will work out the issues and give the US parks a better idea on how to proceed.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We cancelled our March reservation - before Disney closed. Our next reservation is in October. We are hoping they are open and have plenty of restrictions. Curious to see what they do and how it all works out. Can always cancel but we will try to go and take many precautions ourselves and limit ourselves to a lot of things. Can't count on other guests doing the same as us. It's up to us to be careful.

As mentioned here, many people, it does not even phase them. No mask, they don't step aside - everywhere - grocery stores (masks are worn inside/mandatory), in the street when we walk and a path that leads to the beach by us.

Time will tell.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I agree with @JudyS. I’m speaking of DisneyWorld not Disneyland. I’m thinking on property resorts only for the first few weeks....not the other hotels by Disney Springs. That’s a lot of people. Limited number of people to parks. Fast pass only, but use standby entrance for fast pass also, so two fast pass lines. Then little by little other hotels. I did read that all their employees will wear face masks and will not be permitted to work if they have a temperature. Their older employees will be requested to remain home. This social distancing is not going to last long.....it is impossible to function like this for much longer.

Now that we are more informed about this virus and there are more treatments available ((and the shortage of ventilators was not as anticipated) I’m hoping we can return to normal by October. The elderly that are also sick with other issues should continue to take precautions. I would not be comfortable taking a grandma or grandpa with health issues to Disney .... not for a long time. Or even a younger person with issues like obesity, diabetes, hypertension.....not a good idea, in my opinion.

We also have resort reservations in October (we are supposed to be there at this very moment....) and if we can’t go again, then this whole country is in a world of hurt.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with @JudyS. I’m speaking of DisneyWorld not Disneyland. I’m thinking on property resorts only for the first few weeks....not the other hotels by Disney Springs. That’s a lot of people. Limited number of people to parks. Fast pass only, but use standby entrance for fast pass also, so two fast pass lines. Then little by little other hotels. I did read that all their employees will wear face masks and will not be permitted to work if they have a temperature. Their older employees will be requested to remain home. This social distancing is not going to last long.....it is impossible to function like this for much longer.

Now that we are more informed about this virus and there are more treatments available ((and the shortage of ventilators was not as anticipated) I’m hoping we can return to normal by October. The elderly that are also sick with other issues should continue to take precautions. I would not be comfortable taking a grandma or grandpa with health issues to Disney .... not for a long time. Or even a younger person with issues like obesity, diabetes, hypertension.....not a good idea, in my opinion.

We also have resort reservations in October (we are supposed to be there at this very moment....) and if we can’t go again, then this whole country is in a world of hurt.
If numbers Increase in sickness the social distancing will continue. Right now with the curve flattening there is a false security the virus is under control. If many continue not to take precautions, number will rise again.

As far as Disneyworld there is no way to get the numbers in for profit and keep the social distancing in place. They will need to decide if being open safely is better then staying closed longer.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I can’t imagine how Disney World can reopen this year. They would need to operate at a much reduced capacity and redo their entire business model to meet social distancing guidelines. I suspect this country and the world will be hurting quite a bit more come the Fall and Winter. I am usually an optimist when it comes to the economy but I do not have much hope for this one. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised by some miracles.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Some recommendations on how Disney may reopen parks.

Recommendations coming out of this task force include:
  • Masks and temperature checks for all employees
  • Frequent cleaning of ride vehicles and other surfaces
  • 6 foot distancing in attraction queues
  • Hand sanitizer at park entrances & exits, attraction entrances & exits and restaurant tables
  • 50% capacity for parks and restaurants under Phase 1, expanding to 75% under Phase 2
  • Hotel housekeeping limited to guest arrival / departure
  • Removal of glassware from hotel rooms

nomoretslt

Reaction score
My one bedroom villa at DVC has a Dishwasher. Removal of glassware is just ridiculous. I am hoping I’m right and you are wrong @Panina and @TravelTime . Going to a shopping mall is more or less like going to Disney and Universal. Movies. Concerts. I don’t see this hard line lockdown working much longer. People need to live, to work, to interact. We know what we are dealing with now, so I think it’s time to come on out. Will check back here in a month....and hope I am right,

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My one bedroom villa at DVC has a Dishwasher. Removal of glassware is just ridiculous. I am hoping I’m right and you are wrong @Panina and @TravelTime . Going to a shopping mall is more or less like going to Disney and Universal. Movies. Concerts. I don’t see this hard line lockdown working much longer. People need to live, to work, to interact. We know what we are dealing with now, so I think it’s time to come on out. Will check back here in a month....and hope I am right,

I hope you are right too! I hope Disney can find a safe way to open up.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope you are right too but Disney will think liability and will also not want to be the place where a big breakout that could link back to them will occur.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I wonder how long Disney survives if the theme parks are closed through the Fall and movie theaters remain closed. It would be terrible to lose this great company....

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For Disney, a Stricken Empire
The entertainment conglomerate’s vastness, once its strength, has posed a challenge during the pandemic.

It was once a prospering kingdom, the envy of all the land. But in crept an invisible menace.

It could be the story line for a classic Disney movie. Instead, Disney is living it — and happily ever after is nowhere in sight.

After a decade of spectacular growth, the entertainment conglomerate has been devastated by the coronavirus pandemic. Its 14 theme parks (annual attendance: 157 million) delivered record profits in 2019. They’re now padlocked. Its movie studios (there are eight) controlled a staggering 40 percent of the domestic box office last year. Now, they’re sitting at a near standstill.

“From great to good to bad to ugly,” Michael Nathanson, a leading media analyst, wrote in a report of Disney’s extreme reversal in fortunes. “Recession will cause further pain.”

On Tuesday, Disney’s new chief executive, Bob Chapek, and Robert A. Iger, Disney’s executive chairman, will offer their first assessment of the damage. Disney is scheduled to report quarterly results after the stock market closes. Analysts are expecting per-share profit of 88 cents, down 45 percent.

The true scale of the pandemic’s impact on Disney will not be known until late summer, when Mr. Chapek reports results for the current quarter — the one in which Disney has furloughed an estimated 100,000 employees, slashed executive pay up to 50 percent and taken out a $5 billion line of credit to bolster its liquidity (on top of $8.25 billion secured in March). The Disney board must decide in June whether to pay the company’s usual summer dividend; management is unlikely to recommend it.......

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right too but Disney will think liability and will also not want to be the place where a big breakout that could link back to them will occur.
They will probably resolve the liability with a disclaimer. I heard in SK you sign one when you go to any restaurant now.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One never waives one's right to sue in the US, no matter how many waivers one signs. It can help establish due diligence--that they were warned of the risk. But, in many cases, once the lawsuit is filed, and the news headline written, the case is already lost.*

I remember the measles outbreak at Disneyland a few years ago, and I bet they do, too. And that was within a population that had more-or-less scientifically-based herd immunity, which does not yet exist (and may not ever exist without a vaccine) for this virus.

*I am not a lawyer, nor have I gone to law school. But I have spent more than a decade co-presenting risk management workshops with a lawyer for those trying to limit their liability.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's rumored Disney Springs will open first, with the restrictions and see how that goes, but I'd guess the parks won't open until in phase 3. There just is no way to "social distance" in WDW and there is no profit in 25-50% restaurants. I also highly highly doubt that it will be restricted to only onsite guests-local AP's and other business owners would be furious-and the lack of tourists is hurting them too, along with the entire area (and state who counts on those tax dollars). Wearing a mask for 6-8 hours in 99 degree heat/humidity just won't happen-you'd have to take it down so often to hydrate why bother? FP won't work for everything-if the line gets full the people have to go somewhere! No shows? Limited in the shops? then let's congregate in shady spots.

I don't get taking the real dishware away either-it is far more sanitary to run the real stuff through a high temp dish machine with sanitizer than having who knows how many people touch disposable. For goodness sakes-do people think a virus is going to just LEAP from the plate en masse straight down your throat? Paper just isn't as sanitary as you might think. Especially in DVC villas-if worried run the dishes through a cycle and leave in there until ready to use.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't get taking the real dishware away either-it is far more sanitary to run the real stuff through a high temp dish machine with sanitizer than having who knows how many people touch disposable

I'm thinking this is meant for hotel rooms, not timeshares.

There just is no way to "social distance" in WDW and there is no profit in 25-50% restaurants.

I don't have any work experience in this industry, but I can't help but wonder if they are concerned with profits when they first reopen. There are so many moving parts (literally) at WDW, wouldn't they need to start the rides almost weeks before they anticipate crowds big enough to be profitable? They can't just throw a switch and go. The maintenance people may be overwhelmed.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an Imperial Palms reservation for June 13th. Supposed to be big trip with my B-i-L and his family--it would have been the first time his family would have visited the parks (had planned for two Disney days, and three Universal days.) But as the pandemic grew in March, I didn't buy the park tickets, because I was fairly certain they wouldn't be open. I have e-plus on the week, so I can move it out as needed. We hadn't bought plane tickets yet (thought we might drive anyway,) but they had. I doubt the whole trip is happening now.

Maybe Thanksgiving? Or Spring Break 2021? I was excited to land the Imperial Palms week in a trade, because we'd really need a three bedroom (one for each couple, one for the kids, of which they'd be three.) :(

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score

How many here remember that place? We still talk about it when we take the boat to/from Ft Wilderness. The birds in the enclosures, pink flamingo's on the south side. etc. We really miss it.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney opens Shanghia May 11th - 30% capacity. (normal capacity is 80,000)

I'm sure the success/not of that opening will drive the opening here with whatever adjustments they need to make.

They know Q2 is going to be bad no matter what. So one would guess they will try hard to get open late in the quarter