• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it inconsiderate to upgrade your exchange when you can easily use a smaller Unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been smartening up on this whole timeshare exchanging business and I am already very ecstatic with the exchange I've scored with my first timeshare purchase. My ongoing request was filled within 4 days, so I didn't have to sweat for long. But during that 4-day sweat and worry over whether I'd be able to take my family to San Diego for spring break, I began to ponder how many 2 bedrooms were not available because they were scooped up by studio/1 BR owners scooping up 2 BRs, even if their planned occupancy did not require the extra BR.

So, just a philosophical question, is it inconsiderate to swipe a 2 BR in a high demand area just because the system lets you? I'm not talking about Scottsdale in July/August, I'm talking about high demand areas. And I'm only speaking to circumstances under which a 1BR would have been sufficient to house the traveling party.

Should we have some sort of moral compass that says "You know what, it's just me and the wife, and yeah, sure I'd like to have that extra bedroom to read or watch TV while she is snoring it up. But I could do that on the couch in the living room too, and besides, this is Hawaii and there are a lot of my fellow timeshare travelers that do genuinely require 2 BRs for their larger families, so maybe I should just book a 1BR."

I do recognize that human nature being what it is, we tend to do what we are can get away with. In the absence of rules restricting certain behaviors, people will tend to do what is in their own selfish interests. Realistically, I'd probably do the same under similar circumstances. But just because I can, does that make it right?

Granted, that raises another question. Flexchange period aside, why do the exchange companies grant the ability for ST/1BRs to book a 2BR at all, or well at least for the same exchange fee? Not even an upgrade charge or anything if they want to exchange up?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think you are talking about II. If you trade up with a II exchange, it almost always means that you did an Instant Online Exchange, which requires some skills, persistence, and the right trader.

So basically you are asking, if you should leave that trade behind, for someone who doesn't have the tools to get it before you do.

My answer - NOPE! :D

Flexchange period aside, why do the exchange companies grant the ability for ST/1BRs to book a 2BR at all, or well at least for the same exchange fee? Not even an upgrade charge or anything if they want to exchange up?

Sometimes you can trade up because of your trading power or internal priority within a system. It doesn't cost the exchange company anything to let you upgrade, so do you really want to pay them extra for it and let them make even more from traders? That upgrade fee would go in their pocket - no thanks!

Last edited:

jkkee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've taken a 2 bedroom when I knew it would just be my husband and I because that was all that was available when and where I wanted to go. And I'll often get a 2 Bedroom and then invite another couple to join us. On occasion we haven't found someone and the second bedroom remains empty. I personally don't feel there is anything wrong with that. I've also gotten a 2 bedroom with another couple who has committed to going with us, and had them back out.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I make an exchange, and the resort gives me a 2br when I've requested a 1br, I shrug and figure I have a great storage room for suitcases. In short, no guilt at all. I might call one of the kids or a friend and offer the extra room, but that's about it.

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Besides, you may forgo a 2 bdm., and the next guy may grab it and rent it on ebay for a fat profit! ;)

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
So basically you are asking, if you should leave that trade behind, for someone who doesn't have the tools to get it before you do.

No, I'm pondering whether one should leave it behind for a more "deserving" exchanger. There could theoretically be folks who cannot go to certain resorts or at certain times of the year because they cannot get the size room they actually need because Passepartout wants to store some suitcases ;)

Sometimes you can trade up because of your trading power or internal priority within a system. It doesn't cost the exchange company anything to let you upgrade, so do you really want to pay them extra for it and let them make even more from traders? That upgrade fee would go in their pocket - no thanks!

Fair point, although by charging a higher fee it makes the exchanger think more deeply about whether they really want that 150 sq. foot suitcase closet. If folks are not willing to spend more for a 2BR, they just don't book it. Could be a win-win for the system in that we might see more allocation of larger units to those who actually require them while also putting a few more dollars in II's pockets. Dunno.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides, you may forgo a 2 bdm., and the next guy may grab it and rent it on ebay for a fat profit! ;)

And in a perfect world have his exchange privileges permanently revoked.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could be a win-win for the system in that we might see more allocation of larger units to those who actually require them while also putting a few more dollars in II's pockets. Dunno.

I have to disagree - how do owners win by paying II more money?

IMNSHO, this would allocate larger units to people who can afford to pay the upgrade fee, not necessarily people who are more deserving.

In fact, I should delete your post before II sees it! If they start charging for upgrades, I'm blaming you!:D

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point but Im still going to reserve the 2 bedroom if its available

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think this is an interesting point. Most of us seem to be big on maximizing our timeshare ownership so getting a 2 bedroom for a studio feels like such a great deal! So I think that it is just human nature to grab the 2 bedroom. But if a 1 bedroom is sufficient and there is a 2 bedroom available, leaving that unit for someone else would be the nice thing to do. I usually grab the 2 bedroom and hope that one of our kids will join us or perhaps some friends, but perhaps I should give this some extra thought in the future.

I wouldn't give it a second thought if the resort only has dedicated 2 bedroom units however.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
For many locations, a 1 bdrm isn't just one less bdrm than a 2 bdrm unit. Often, the 2 bdrm unit has larger living space, kitchen and bath. I hate a cramped 1 bdrm and will book a 2 bdrm instead, even though I now have to pay more TPU's in RCI for it.

Even for our Wyndham exchanges, I'll often pay more points to get a 2 bdrm. I just did that for a San Antonio Riverwalk stay this fall.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pondering whether one should leave it behind for a more "deserving" exchanger.
If I only need a 1BR, that's all I request. If I end up being offered a 2BR instead, I take it, and I don't look back. I am firmly in the bird-in-the-hand camp. I'm most concerned about my own vacations. Why should I risk losing out on my vacation for someone else?

I freely admit that that's not a very "nice" attitude. But, it is what it is.

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one that agrees with beefnot. If it is just me and hubby I would never grab a two bedroom if there is a one bedroom available and both have a full kitchen and laundry in the room. That is just greedy if you know the extra room will be going to waste and you are just keep a family from being able to vacation that week too. Boo to those of you who do that. Now if you hope to have others join you that is different and fair to do. But if you know you will not invite anyone else and the units are equal except the extra room that is bad manners and your momma should have taught you better. (and most of the two bedrooms I look at are a full size one bedroom with a studio lockout as the second bedroom, so same size living and kitchen). If all isn't equal, then yeah pick the better one, but so often it is equal other then the extra studio room attached and this example seems to me what the OP is talking about.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess I am the only one that agrees with beefnot. If it is just me and hubby I would never grab a two bedroom if there is a one bedroom available and both have a full kitchen and laundry in the room.

I agree with this that you should only take what you think you can use - to a point. If I am looking for a normal resort and they only have one unit for the timeframe, I am taking it even if it's a 2 bedroom and I only need a one bedroom. If there is one of each available I will take only what I need.

But, for those rarified "once in a lifetime" II resorts, like Harborside, if I see a unit, it's mine - even if it were a 3 bedroom - i will find people to go with! I would take that over a 1 bedroom - that's how I make some MF back - charge my relatives for their portion of the room.

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I had my own trip, just by myself. I didn't need a 2BR unit, but Marriott's Ocean Watch in Myrtle Beach has dedicated 2BR only.
I never touched 2nd bedroom, wished I could use only 1BR or studio, but I had no choice.
If there's only 2BR available for my desired date, I would pick 2BR, but if there are more choices (studio and 1 BR), I would pick 1BR, not 2BR.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Also a fan of the concept of not taking more than we need. Usually a 1BR is all we need, would prefer to have no more unless someone else is joining us.

H

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We usually take a two bedroom because it seems somebody will join us even if we're not sure who when we confirm two years ahead of time. But a couple of times we know for sure we're going by ourselves. If there's a one bedroom and a two bedroom online, I'll take the one.

But if I had an ongoing search and a two bedroom matched, no way I'd throw it back for the next guy.

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The only reason I like it when we get a 2 bedroom is the extra bathroom. It seems that a lot of the older resorts have 1 bedroom units with 2 bathrooms but not so much now.

Lynn

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My Two Cents!!

You know what, it is great to know that there are folks out there that consider others when they make their personal travel arrangements; but when it comes to timesharing it is usually the luck of the draw or good planning that puts one in the position to exchange for a larger unit than one could get by without.

Until I read this thread it had never occurred to me that my choice might inconvenience some stranger that might have wanted to use the larger unit that I was able to grab.

Since 1985, we felt that trading evenly or trading up was what we paid for and worked for and should have when we take a vacation. As for the other guy, I do not know who he or she might be so I choose to leave it alone.

When it comes right down to it, I really could care less about giving up space to someone I do not know who failed to get access prior to my exchange.

Remember why you purchased your timeshare! In my case the purchase was made because I like having a home away from home that is sometimes bigger than I actually need.

Because both my DW and I snore and/or because I like to stay up very late, I require at least a two bedroom unit when I travel and I will always go for a two bedroom unit or larger.

Although my original 2-BR units and later larger units were purchased because of the size of my family I still enjoy the space. Now that I am retired and there are usually only the two of us, I still want at least a quid-pro-quo or larger when making an exchange.

When and if someone joins us in a larger unit that is fine; but not something that necessarily goes into the thought process when making the exchange.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I've been smartening up on this whole timeshare exchanging business and I am already very ecstatic with the exchange I've scored with my first timeshare purchase. My ongoing request was filled within 4 days, so I didn't have to sweat for long. But during that 4-day sweat and worry over whether I'd be able to take my family to San Diego for spring break, I began to ponder how many 2 bedrooms were not available because they were scooped up by studio/1 BR owners scooping up 2 BRs, even if their planned occupancy did not require the extra BR.

So, just a philosophical question, is it inconsiderate to swipe a 2 BR in a high demand area just because the system lets you? I'm not talking about Scottsdale in July/August, I'm talking about high demand areas. And I'm only speaking to circumstances under which a 1BR would have been sufficient to house the traveling party.

Should we have some sort of moral compass that says "You know what, it's just me and the wife, and yeah, sure I'd like to have that extra bedroom to read or watch TV while she is snoring it up. But I could do that on the couch in the living room too, and besides, this is Hawaii and there are a lot of my fellow timeshare travelers that do genuinely require 2 BRs for their larger families, so maybe I should just book a 1BR."

I do recognize that human nature being what it is, we tend to do what we are can get away with. In the absence of rules restricting certain behaviors, people will tend to do what is in their own selfish interests. Realistically, I'd probably do the same under similar circumstances. But just because I can, does that make it right?

Granted, that raises another question. Flexchange period aside, why do the exchange companies grant the ability for ST/1BRs to book a 2BR at all, or well at least for the same exchange fee? Not even an upgrade charge or anything if they want to exchange up?

I use to take only the size unit we needed but, in the land of lock-off units, neighbor noise could be a problem. It seemed we always got someone who was loud and inconsiderate.

First, we stopped taking studio units. We had elderly neighbors in Vegas once who desperately needed to turn up their hearing aids. We wanted to sleep in, they woke up with the chickens and announced their morning awakening loud enough for the entire south end of Vegas to hear them. We were never able to sleep past 06:00 AM and were often awakened by their shouting to each other (in what was normal conversation) by 05:00 AM. We've also been next door to the cabinet slammers when we were in a studio unit and loud all night TV watchers when we were in the one bedroom section of a 2 bedroom lock-out unit.

So we started taking mostly two bedroom units. We do take the occasional one bedroom unit depending on the resort and the unit layout. We once thought that thinking backfired on us at Westgate Branson Woods when we heard some EXTREMELY noisy neighbors in the studio lock-off section of a two bedroom unit when we had accepted only the one bedroom side. Fortunately, they were suppose to have been in a two bedroom unit and has been miss-assigned by the front desk. The woman just kept trying over and over to open our door (think 15 to 20 times) and complaining loudly that her key wouldn't work rather than go back to the front desk. You should have seen the look in her eyes when I opened the front door and asked if I could help her.

The smallest unit we'll take is a one bedroom and we much prefer to two bedroom unit whenever we can get it. We never accept a studio unit. Even in our points based systems where we own I much prefer to spend the points and take a two bedroom unit rather than stretch our points and take studio units or one bedroom units.

It's been through the inconsideration of others that we take larger units than we need, just to give us a little more peace of mind that our chances of having a quite vacation vs dealing with some inconsiderate person who thinks everyone likes noise (TV, radio, banging cabinets or just plain talking loud enough for the astronauts to hear as the circle the planet).

Of course I can't do anything about the thundering heard of elephants who sometimes occupy the unit directly above us other than be more selective about the resorts we'll stay at. I try to select resorts that are concrete construction vs wood construtcion. Concrete flooring offers better insultation from floor stompers than does wood construction buildings. There are a couple of resorts in Branson I refuse to accept due (Westgate Branson Woods and Palace View South) because we can hear every footstep above us and, those below us can probably hear us every time we walk across the floor. We even purchased a penthouse unit once, just to make sure we were always on the top floor of a resort we liked.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. I do feel wasteful when it's just two of us and we end up in a two bedroom....Last May, we got a two bedroom, direct oceanfront, top floor unit at the Royal Caribbean (on an AC from II, no less...I have no idea how that happened.) It felt odd to have the whole lock off portion go to waste, but my only choice was either the studio or the two bedroom, and, for me, the appeal of timeshares is having a full kitchen. If we could have gotten just the large 1 bedroom, we probably would have taken it (also because it would have been $100 cheaper, based on the AC.) We had debated inviting another couple with us, but it was a delayed 10th anniversary trip, and it just didn't feel right.

The other time I've felt that way was our first trade into HHI, in the huge garden units at Barony (where even the second bathroom has the large jacuzzi tubs, etc.) In that case, a second couple had backed out too late for us to find someone else to come along.

Maybe it's just part of my upbringing, but I try to get only what I need. Now that we have a child, though, a two bedroom makes life much easier.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I travel alone many times, I seldom book a studio. I have a 5 bdr home - why would I want a single room? That is why I like to timeshare.

As for using a 2bdr verses a 1 bdr? Yes, I have slept in multiple 2 bdr units over the years. There is a lot of truth about noise from lockoffs - my favorite being the spanking between two adults - totally stopped when I added my groans of happiness by the lockout door. ;)

I booked my brother a 3 bdr upgrade instead of a 1bdr presidential as he is a total bathroom hog. He will sit in the bathroom for hours to read - so I gave his wife a 2nd bathroom. She loved me.

As for couples who sleep apart, snoring is a good reason but so is that flopping that waterbed owners do. Or all night TV sleepers. Or causal opposite sex friends who are NOT initimate who travel together. And yes, I have had several invited friends who cancel a day or two before a trip.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love to get a 2-br unit, because we always ask others to go with us and it turns into a lot of fun. Sometimes we can't find anyone to join us, but that is okay too since DH has a sleep disorder and he can use the 2nd bedroom if needed. We also absolutely prefer having two baths over one - we do at home and it's really difficult to accommodate each other's bad habits while we are away lol. We tend to be last-minute travelers, and I have no issues at all with grabbing the largest unit I can get. By the time the unit makes it online, that means it has already passed through the requests. If a large family absolutely has to have a big unit and didn't take the little bit of extra effort to snap it up before it hits cyberspace - oh well. Besides, my not taking it does not guarantee that the large family will get it anyway.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If I make an exchange, and the resort gives me a 2br when I've requested a 1br, I shrug and figure I have a great storage room for suitcases. In short, no guilt at all. I might call one of the kids or a friend and offer the extra room, but that's about it.

Jim

Way back when I first started reading TUG somebody posted something about having suitcases which enjoyed their stays in the second bedrooms. :rofl: I got a kick out of that - was it you?

I'll admit that the OP's thought has never crossed my mind. If it did I'd probably follow it all the way through to, "gee, Don and I should never take anything bigger than a studio when it's just the two of us because even a 1BR could be used by somebody with a party of 4."

And I'll freely admit, I'll never give up a 1BR for a studio.

We own 2- and 3BR units and invite people to come along with us most of the time. But a few trips we've gone alone and I won't give up the owner's priority for unit view and placement that comes with home resort usage. Exchanging is different (especially now with Marriott's new points system that lets us tailor our exchanges to unit size and view) and we generally don't request any more bedrooms than what we need. But again, not giving up a 1BR for a studio. Ever.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm doing two vacations this year by myself.
One to Manhattan Club the other to a beach resort in Ft. Lauderdale.

A studio would have been suffucient if I follow your thinking but heck I don't care about someone else's vacation. I'm taking the 1 bedroom and not feeling the least bit guilty about it. :p

That's why I timeshare. Regardless of whether I'm maxing out the occupancy or not I want to be comfortable on my vacation. I don't live in a studio so really don't want to vacation in one unless that's my only option like my upcoming trip to Barcelona thru Citadines.

If I'm doing an exchange I try to get the most bang for my buck, but if I'm using my points in a mini system and it's all about points stretching then I'll book just what I need but rarely a studio unless it's an expensive place. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.