• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Introduction

E

EducatedConsumer

A word to the wise......just mention to the Marriott Legal Department or your Project Director that you are answering questions about Marriott on this forum, and you may be in for a big surprise.

The most colorful Marriott character of all on this board was Resale Sally. She made great contributions to this forum until Marriott invoked very stringent policies on their employees' participation on forum like this one.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just like the recent Marriott Platinum advisor over on Flyer Talk, this guy will get bludgeoned with questions and requests and will more than likely run away... :rofl:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Just like the recent Marriott Platinum advisor over on Flyer Talk, this guy will get bludgeoned with questions and requests and will more than likely run away... :rofl:

Yep, or Marriott will stop him the same way they stopped the flyertalk guy.

I really wish an official Marriott rep would participate on TUG. There's no doubt that they monitor it, but so far only MVCI Customer Advocate has posted in that capacity and he/she/it has only posted twice.

It's funny to me that folks would ask this new guy any questions at all that aren't related to his/her job, which is selling timeshares. The overall TUG sentiment about timeshare salesmen is that "anytime their lips are moving they're lying!" - isn't it? I don't quite believe that happens 100% of the time, but it sure happens enough to cause doubt that any single unknown one knows enough about the technicalities we discuss on TUG. I look at it as, it's great to get new folks here because everybody can add something to the community, but without that "official" capacity sanctioned by Marriott execs this guy could be as wrong as the rest of us.

I hope you don't take offense to this, Sales Executive, because it's not meant to offend. I just think that generally the sales people aren't privy to the in-the-know information that would answer the majority of the questions that are asked by TUGgers, because they're generally completely unrelated to sales.

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's funny to me that folks would ask this new guy any questions at all that aren't related to his/her job, which is selling timeshares. The overall TUG sentiment about timeshare salesmen is that "anytime their lips are moving they're lying!" - isn't it? I don't quite believe that happens 100% of the time, but it sure happens enough to cause doubt that any single unknown one knows enough about the technicalities we discuss on TUG. I look at it as, it's great to get new folks here because everybody can add something to the community, but without that "official" capacity sanctioned by Marriott execs this guy could be as wrong as the rest of us.

I hope you don't take offense to this, Sales Executive, because it's not meant to offend. I just think that generally the sales people aren't privy to the in-the-know information that would answer the majority of the questions that are asked by TUGgers, because they're generally completely unrelated to sales.

C'mon now, you basically suggest he is either lying (first quoted paragraph) or ignorant (second), but that he should not take offense. You're trying to run him off before we can even learn whether either of those presumptions is accurate.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
C'mon now, you basically suggest he is either lying (first quoted paragraph) or ignorant (second), but that he should not take offense. You're trying to run him off before we can even learn whether either of those presumptions is accurate.

Lying? About what? He (she?) said s/he's not posting here in an official capacity.

I don't think I'm insulting him/her by saying that as a sales person posting on TUG "just for fun," I wouldn't expect that s/he has the knowledge to answer the detailed questions we ask so often. Take a look at a few of the things s/he's posted already:

... 2. To my understanding the 13 month wait listing is given to certain "status levels" (dont want to advertise here lol ). Starts with the letter P.

Unless the rules have changed, this is wrong. DC Members with Premier and Premier Plus status do not have a 13-mos Waiting List benefit. The DC Waiting List windows open at the 12-mos mark for stays of 7 nights or longer, and at 10-mos for stays of less than 7 nights.

Is it possible that the rules have changed? Sure, anything's possible. But I'd guess that Marriott would notify their Premier and Premier Plus Members of this change, and not just let them hear about it through an unofficial TUG post from a salesperson.

This is my understanding of how it goes. If an owner elects club points for that usage year it will go into Marriotts "exchange inventory" for another to obtain via club points. Therefore it would not go into II to re-book.

This one's correct, but it doesn't answer jdunn's specific questions about how Marriott takes II inventory to satisfy DC Members requests, or when Marriott deposits unreserved inventory into II for Weeks members requests.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fletch, are you out there? For everyone's information - Fletch is a former Marriott employee who used to post here quite a bit.

Fletch, what do you think of this thread?

Haven't seen you post in a while.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
Well, I think when someone at Marriott discovers Sales Executive, that will be the end of it.

I remember Resale Sally and Fletch. I also remember trying to support the Marriott adviser (or whatever they were called) that had worked with me and who seemed to be very proactive.

So, having found a good guy, I put a link to him on my website, figuring to drive a little action his way. I was promptly asked by Marriott to remove it.

Never let a good person get out ahead of his peers I guess ---

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
I welcome Sales Executive to the forum, and I hope others will do the same. True - his bosses may feel otherwise, but that is none of my concern.

I think it would be very valuable to have an insider perspective in these discussions (even if he may not be fully knowledgeable/informed on some issues - just like the rest of us).

I hope Sales Executive doesn't get dogpiled by those who are frustrated with Marriott and the DClub. Such a reception may partially explain why Marriott only rarely provides any kind of an official response here.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, first question. When is MVW going to do something about the resale problem with trust points? I'm a pretty good customer of yours but until I know that I can buy trust points and resell them to someone who can use them just as I would have been able to use them, I can't see any further Marriott purchases in my future except for picking up a legacy week from a private owner.

Second question. When are you going to allow waitlisting at the 13 month mark?

From Marriott

The New owner will have to pay an education ($300 per owner) and initiation fee ($200 per BI with a $2000 minimum). And then they would have full access to the program.

What is "full access to the program?" A Points owner with no additional restrictions that can book from both buckets is what full access to the program means.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From Marriott
The New owner will have to pay an education ($300 per owner) and initiation fee ($200 per BI with a $2000 minimum). And then they would have full access to the program.

What is "full access to the program?" A Points owner with no additional restrictions that can book from both buckets is what full access to the program means.

Terry, is this "official," meaning published in a FAQ somewhere? No mention of the $1/point ROFR fee?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's official to me, as I have it in an email from an Owner Relations Supervisor at MVCI.

Transfer fee of $25 per BI (beneficial interest)
Education fee of $300
Initiation fee of $200 per BI with a $2000 minimum

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
So if you bought 2000 points resale then you have to shell out $2100 to be able to use them. That lessens substantially what the points are worth resale. Still it's a move in the right direction and can be much cheaper than the $20,000 plus closing that M gets for them.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's official to me, as I have it in an email from an Owner Relations Supervisor at MVCI.

Transfer fee of $25 per BI (beneficial interest)
Education fee of $300
Initiation fee of $200 per BI with a $2000 minimum

So if you bought 2000 points resale then you have to shell out $2100 to be able to use them. That lessens substantially what the points are worth resale. Still it's a move in the right direction and can be much cheaper than the $20,000 plus closing that M gets for them.

Reminds me of the Life cereal commercial - "Are you gonna try it? I'm not gonna try it! Let's get Mikey, he hates everything!"

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

$2,500, isn't it? $25 per BI, a BI is 250 Points, 2K Points is 8 BI's, so $200. Plus $300 Education Fee, plus $2K minimum Initiation Fee, equals $2,500.

Still, like you say much less than direct, and IF all usage options transfer with the sale then it removes a whole lot of the obstacles that we've assumed come with a Points resale. Still not gonna try it first, though. :D

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey Terry, if you're in touch with your contact ... or maybe Sales Executive can answer this -

If you buy 8 BI's, 2K DC Points, can you at some point sell less than the total 8 BI's? Say 3 of them, 750 DC Points? Or is it similar to DVC processing, where if all the Points you purchase at one time are processed in one transaction as a single contract, you must sell the contract as a whole?

(DVC folks say that it's a good idea to break up large point purchases into separate contracts - subject to minimums, of course - because that way you can downsize without getting out completely, and also the contracts with fewer points sell quicker.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Clarification: We actually have no idea who Sales Executive is. He registered with his personal email address, so he may or may not be with Marriott. Not a put down - just a word of caution.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Terry, if you're in touch with your contact ... or maybe Sales Executive can answer this -

If you buy 8 BI's, 2K DC Points, can you at some point sell less than the total 8 BI's? Say 3 of them, 750 DC Points? Or is it similar to DVC processing, where if all the Points you purchase at one time are processed in one transaction as a single contract, you must sell the contract as a whole?

(DVC folks say that it's a good idea to break up large point purchases into separate contracts - subject to minimums, of course - because that way you can downsize without getting out completely, and also the contracts with fewer points sell quicker.)

From talking to them everything is done by BI (250 points). Problem is the minimum $2000 initiation fee. I will send an email to find out.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Clarification: We actually have no idea who Sales Executive is. He registered with his personal email address, so he may or may not be with Marriott. Not a put down - just a word of caution.

Oh well, SueDonJ already insulted that lying ignoramus away...joke....JOKE!!!!

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh well, SueDonJ already insulted that lying ignoramus away...joke....JOKE!!!!

I think you meant "insight". The ol' curse of the spellchecker strikes again! :)

Jim

I wa going to say it is Timeos2's and BruceCZ's job to "incite" the Federation of Marriott Lovers.

Now I think it might be Beefnot :doh:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There wasn't a very friendly reception from the beginning. I know I probably wouldn't be back if this was my first impression.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

This is from the trust documents. I posted it in post 15 of this thread.

11. Upon the Sale, Transfer, Conveyance or Lease of an Interestin a Multisite Timeshare Plan.

The sale, lease, or transfer of interests in this multisite timeshare plan is restricted or controlled.

Other than a conveyance of all of a Beneficiary's Interests, no Beneficiary, other than Developer, and subject to Section 4.2 of the Trust Agreement, shall voluntarily sell, transfer, assign, or hypothecate any number of Interests, the sale, transfer, assignment, or hypothecation of which will result in the Beneficiary or any other Beneficiary owning less than a Base Interest. Except as otherwise set forth in the Trust Agreement and the Bylaws, no Base Interest may be subdivided by any Beneficiary other than Developer. The Association Delegee is not required to accept any reservation requests for a Use Period from a Beneficiary who owns less than a Base Interest at any time other than during the Open Reservation Period. The number of Interests comprising a Base Interest may in the future be modified by Developer in its sole discretion.

I believe a Base Interest is 1000 points. So if someone owns 2000 points, they could sell 1000 and keep 1000. They couldn't sell 500 or 1500, since that would cause one of the owners (seller or buyer) to have less than a Base Interest. If you own 1500 points, the only option is to sell all of them since no combination would permit both people to have at least 1000 points.

Last edited: