• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Info on Sunset Resorts, Cancun & Playa del Carmen

wanttorelax

Reaction score
This is off topic but since we are all Royal Sunset owners..

unfortunately.

Has anyone had difficulty in depositing their week into another exchange company besides RCI?

I would like to deposit my week with DAE before the year's over or I will lose my 2005 week. Royal is telling me that as long as the inbound guest knows that they have to pay the mandatory all-inclusive that that is fine but I still have not received my confirmation letter of my reservation.

So I emailed Luz Salinas and now she is telling me they won't send me a confirmation until I have those fees paid upfront. Time is ticking for me since I am near the 60day window of the week reserved. And I still have not heard anything back about the assessment fees either-- I refused to pay because it is not in my contract, which btw is slightly different from what was posted on this board--- so I don't know if that is really the reason they are making it difficult for me to deposit my week.

FYI: in the posting of the contract terms, I noticed that there was not a percentage limitation on the MF. Mine says the MF won't go +/- than 6%. I would be concerned that the contract doesn't state a limitation to how much they can inflate the MF. I may have misunderstood the wording in the other post's contract, though.

This is what is stated in my contract:
"This Maintenance Fee can never increase more than the C.P.I. of the U.S. +/- 6% for Mexican inflation combined."

just another thing with Sunset to worry about...

wanttorelax

Reaction score
I was able to deposit my week after all...

but I am still curious to know if anyone has had trouble with that before and I am sure renting out weeks is another story...

Simon

Reaction score
Buying at Fishermen's Village

Someone asked if Sunset is still selling. Well, in June they sold me a master suite for 2 weeks for $60,000. I guess I didn't know any better and later on I found the same thing for less than $20,000. I am trying to cancel, but they will not return my deposit of $15,800. Everyone I talk to has been ripped off by these people. In my opinion, stay away.

edward

Reaction score
There are people contacting lawyers, and getting their money back. All of their money back.

wanttorelax

Reaction score
edward said:
There are people contacting lawyers, and getting their money back. All of their money back.

Hi Edward,

Are these people recent purchasers? Because we have been members since 2003 and had no other option other than to do a downgrade with Sunset after they refused to cancel our contract. We have since paid off our timeshare but would really like to get our money back or maybe even a pro-rated amount since we have only used it once and it wasn't even at Royal Sunset but at Aruba, through the interclub.

Thanks.

freechoice

Reaction score
re: sunset banked week with rci

Hi all... thought I continue and hope to keep this thread alive still

We have used the Royal Sunset to bank with RCI and this time it was banked as a COMP week which I cannot do any searches and must call an RCI rep

I was told that COMP was COMPENSATION WEEK and when I called RS to ask why they told me that is the way they do it now. COMP week has very little trading value and this really concerns me and I like to find out if its rci that is doing it because RS is compulsory all inclusive or RS is doing this?

Did any of you RS timeshare owners know of this COMP week being rci 's way of booking the RS resort???

If so can any of you book or search online with RS?

I am speculating that the Fisherman's at Playa is booked as a regular week with searching possibilities because all inclusive is not compulsory?

are any all inclusive MEXICAN resorts treated the same way as RS?

hope to keep this thread alive as RS timeshare owners need all the help we can get to make sure we get our fair deals .

cheers

freechoice

Reaction score
re: Royal sunset optional all inclusive?

Does anyone with Sunset have optional all inclusive? If so how does one bank with RCI? Is it banked as optional?

Still waiting for RCI to discuss with the COMPENSATION exchange. It may be that RCI is recatorgorizing all INCLUSIVE MEXICAN RESORTS as a way to penalize the disadvantage of having all inclusive

For us I feel that the ALL INCLUSIVE is the best deal for a family and couples...We tried without all inclusive in CANCUN and it was very expensive because we had to pay for everything...even per drink costs .

But Royal Sunset perhaps has the most expensive all inclusive but correct me if I am wrong.
cheers

wanttorelax

Reaction score
Does anyone with Sunset have optional all inclusive? If so how does one bank with RCI? Is it banked as optional?

I did not bank my week with RCI because of the fees but I banked a week through DAE and I was told by RS that the inbound guest using the exchange would have to pay the AI at check in no matter what.

I thought everyone had to pay the AI if they purchased unless they were previous owners prior to the AI becoming mandatory and were able to grandfather that into the "new" contracts.

I don't mind using AI but I wish I had it as an option. I actually have not stayed at RS yet even though we have paid it off already. We have only used one week at Aruba through the interclub. I think if the AI was an option I would probably use it half of the time not the entire week just so I can budget to go out to the other restaurants as well as utilizing the kitchenette--we like cooking for ourselves as well while on vacation.

Honestly, the AI is what annoys me most now that I have to suck it up and stick it out with our purchase of RS.

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked with someone O know who works in reservations at Sunset and they explained that since Sunset bul banks with RCI, it has already deposited some of its inventory from a new hotel that they will be opening up soon and some of those weeks are being transferred for member exchanges and that those are classified by RCI as "comp" or bonus weeks so that they cannot be exchanged through the internet system but only through direct contact with RCI at which time they will be recognized as having the high trading power that they have which is as high or higher than what the member owns.

I am not sure if I explained that exactly right so if you have any questions, contact the Sunset reservations dept. and not me!

I have seen the demand for all inclusive rise over the years in the Cancun area--mostly for economic and convenience reasons but while many people still do not like it, a growing number are rquesting it. I also think that in market comparisons I have seen that the Sunset Group pricing is not at the high end of the all inclusive fee.

bestbuyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Boston Custom House
Still have not used my 2005 week at Royal Sunset. Was originally booked to use it one day prior to the hurricane back then and then the resort let me change over to March of this year. Found I could no longer go so, luckily, I cancelled in advance and did receive my deposit money back. What do you think my chances are in using it so late in this 2007 year (since I only have 2007 to do so)? I'm wondering how difficult it will be to exchange this late out for anything!

freechoice

Reaction score
why not try banking and see if you get COMPENSATION EXCHANGE WEEK LIKE I DID!

Well I think you should bank as soon although I banked February and RS put my week February and banked it as COMP without letting members know about it.

When I tried to look for it online thats when I realized my week was banked to a low low priority with few if any trades . This is very upsetting that RS would do that now I am a timeshare owner. As a timeshare owner of RS I would want the highest trading value but as COMP which RCI advises is grouped with miscellaneous weeks , bonus extra weeks the computer software at RCI just sees my RS week as A COMP and thus I cannot search for other t/s from RCI and must call the RCI representative.

THIS IS THE KIND OF TREATMENT I GET FOR BEING A ROYAL SUNSET TIMESHARE OWNER???

If you happen to bank your RS timeshare with RCI, please let me know what RCI does with it...I like to get a general consensus with ROYAL SUNSET TIMESHARES and how they will be banked .

THIS MAY BE A SAD SAD DAY FOR ALL SUNSET TIMESHARE OWNERS. I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT MY FEELING IS SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPEN

cheers and good luck

wanttorelax

Reaction score
THIS MAY BE A SAD SAD DAY FOR ALL SUNSET TIMESHARE OWNERS. I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT MY FEELING IS SOMETHING TERRIBLE HAS HAPPEN

Just to let know, whatever RS tells you is definitely far from the truth. It is really mind blowing to hear how they con people let alone be one of the victims that they con into buying their property. I was a sucker too and didn't think I could do anything but I have done my research and there are plenty of other victims out there as well. The Sunset group has an elaborate con that they have been using for years for unknowing tourists. And from what I have also found out that hopefully numbers will speak loudly...

freechoice

Reaction score
Re: Royal Sunset

ROYAL SUNSET did contact me by email and explained that the week banked as COMP is a regular week but agreed that it cannot be used to search online

I will follow up on what actually happens with my COMP week at RCI

cheers to all,freechoice

bestbuyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to Luz, I still have my 2005 week to use. Have any of you swapped your Royal Sunset week for another place (This is my first week of use since purchase in 2005)???? Obviously, now from reading all the posts, I should have stayed away from RS, but didn't know any better then, so here I am. (So much for my "bestbuyer" name!!!! LOL) Just wondering where some of you swapped out to and how easy was it to get. Did you have to swap to another All-inclusive. Thanks.

fairfaxgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've exchanged through RCI to a one bedroom at the Mayan Palace in PV (very nice), and a 3 bedroom in Orlando that was very nice and whose name is escaping me, and also, directly through Sunset, I have exchanged to a one bedroom beachfront condo in Belize (the one is Sunset's book).

I have been happy with my exchanges, especially considering that I only own a studio with Sunset. Therefore, the benefit of exchanging through RCI is you can get a bigger unit than usual. None of these were AI, by the way. I must say, however, that I do not travel during peak times, so I do not have the experience of trying to exchange into a resort during peak times.

Hope this helps!

bestbuyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for this info.....Hoping to get something out of the week I have!

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures? I was a little worried for my kids.

To everyone else, as bad as assessments are, they are no worst than the increase in mf's that everyone in Florida and Maui have had. At least assessments are a one time thing and you know why?

We were in Cancun in December 2005. They were working very hard to make things nice for us. (and them too) Just be glad you arent making assessments on your homes....or the lives lost. :annoyed:

roc

Reaction score
royal sunset

I continue to hear all the negative opinions(some have been from me) about the royal sunset and have heard legal actions are forth coming against these "cons" but really has anyone found any legal loop holes in these contracts?
I have a right to use and it stipulates no expiry(like in the past it used to be 25yr max) and can be rolled over to sons/daughters/grandaughters etc.
Am I really stuck with this for my life as well as my kids..there kids etc...
:annoyed: