• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Info on Sunset Resorts, Cancun & Playa del Carmen

edward

Reaction score
Hello everyone, we still have not heard from Sunset Group on this issue, we resent the original email, and again no response from them. We know who to contact, they gave us the information - as to who to contact. It is an email address that legally belongs to the Sunset Group. Now everyone, can I ask you -- as investors in the Sunset Group, how does it feel to be treated like you are suppose to hand your money over and just shut up and not ask any question's? Now would you put up with this behavior from an american company? We have the right to ask what is going on, - as investors - it is our money - yes our money, they are asking for without any proof of where the money is going. We are being ignored, and for a good length of time now. We have had no phone calls from Rosario Gonzales about the emails, or answer to any of the issues we addressed in the original emails, or after the original email was resent, asking why there was no response. There has been no response - by phone, email, or regular mail about the "Special Assessment Fee" we have questioned the Sunset Group about. We are still waiting.

Last edited:

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I repeat the offer made previously to someone else: if you send me your e-mail either here or to jimincancun@yahoo.com I will ask someone I know in their office to contact you. I don't know why they haven't answered or anything about it but can get you a response if you wish.

gresmi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Fishermen's many times and just spent the last 1/2 hour creating a full report, only to have the BBS software bomb again when trying to post. After the third time having this happen, I am totally through with that. Any Tugger wanting my opinions on this resort can email me privately. I'm fed up with taking the time to post reviews and replies, only to have them bomb on takeoff by the BBS software.

The Best to All.

Greg

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Jim, are you the Jim W. that worked for the Sunset Group a few years ago ?

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am Jim W. (Wehrle)and I used to work in the Sunset hotel operation and in reservations before. I think there was another "Jim" there years ago but can't remember his last name.

edward

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, at this time, no reply from sunset about our emails. We will keep everyone updated. And we will provide information in detail, good and bad.

bestbuyer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Boston Custom House
Sooooo, are you all paying this fee, or waiting to see what happens? I was honestly going to see if I could get the resort next year for our daughter during her college break for her and her girlfriends. Wonder how much luck I'll have trying to get a reservations w/o having paid this assessment.....

Annita

Reaction score
What do you mean that you used to work for the sunset group? Jim, Huh Am I completely retarded then, you have an email address with them right now. You still work for them.
How unbiased your opinion must be, thank you so much for sharing.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Annita said:
What do you mean that you used to work for the sunset group? Jim, Huh Am I completely retarded then, you have an email address with them right now. You still work for them.
How unbiased your opinion must be, thank you so much for sharing.
And we are to assume that your opinion is unbiased??

Annita

Reaction score
I don't falsley pretend to be a person not currently affiliateted with the sunset lagoon, while in reality I am their employee... like Jim Wehrley

Annita

Reaction score
Like i said, I spoke to Hector Tornell of the legal department, at the Sunset Lagoon. He says that the fee is optional. Jim Wehrley says, read the fine print in the contracts, it is not optional.

edward

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, annita great blog, but threats like that should not be made by the sunset group unless they understand the laws fully. You can't sue someone for telling the truth in this country. She should look into that further -- there are a lot of great lawyers. We have not paid the fee yet, because there still has been no response to our emails. Jules said he was going to sunset in the middle of april, and was going to get the details on the assessment fee while he was there. Please let us know what the outcome was for you.

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I said, I used to work in the Sunset hotel operation and in reservations. I did. I currently own the VIP Travel Club. I work WITH Sunset and know a lot of people in the organization. I have my office in the basement of the Sunset hotel until they finish my offices in Mayafair Plaza.

Anyone who knows anything about the timeshare industry knows that special assessments are common everywhere--primarily for natural disasters and to cover budget shortfalls or even just to remodel their hotels as in the recent case of the Palace Resorts, hotels in Floida and the New Orleans areas.

Your attack, Anita Back, has become a personal one and I choose not to lower myself to your level.

Annita

Reaction score
The email address I have for you is to sunset, your phone number their main number. If you call sunset and ask for Jim Wehrley, they connect to you. By all appearences you work there right now. By all appearences you are here on this travel forum convincing people to pay the assesment fee to Sunset, Why may i ask does that matter to you? Since you don't work there anymore?
Like i said, I spoke to Hector Tornell, and he said ithat the fee is optional.
I am not attacking you, just wondering why you are posting as someone who isn't working there, when you are.

Annita

Reaction score
edward said:
Hello Everyone, annita great blog, but threats like that should not be made by the sunset group unless they understand the laws fully. You can't sue someone for telling the truth in this country. She should look into that further -- there are a lot of great lawyers. We have not paid the fee yet, because there still has been no response to our emails. Jules said he was going to sunset in the middle of april, and was going to get the details on the assessment fee while he was there. Please let us know what the outcome was for you.
I think that you need to call them instead, ask for Hector Tornell. He told me that the fee is optional, i would assume that it is optional for everyone. (just make sure you keep records of your phone conversation)

Hildred

Reaction score
Interesting posts on the assessment fees. When I was suckered in on April 14, 2006 at SUNSET FISHERMEN'S I asked several times how the hurricane damage was taken care of. I was told that the INSURANCE covered all the damage and that the time share owners did not have to pay for any of the damage. By the way, I am still waiting for SUNSET to contact me regarding my request to cancel the purchase agreement. As what seems to be routine with this outfit, ROSALIA SILVA CAMPOS, alleges they did not get my email.

edward

Reaction score
Hello again everyone, Hildred check with your isp carrier they will tell you exactly when they received your email. ( don't let them kid you that they did not receive your email), we know that our emails have been received by the sunset group and they have read them. We are going to take annita's advice and contact them, and like annita we have kept records of phone calls, as well as every other form of contact we have had with the sunset group, they are reminded of that constantly when we have to deal with them.
So don't let them squirm out of it, and thankyou annita, for all your post's, I tip my hat to you -- well done.

Annita

Reaction score
tonyg said:
Is anything the Sunset Group does, legal ?
No, nothing they do is quite legal, and as far as investment goes, it is GUARANTEED at the sales presentation that your INVESTMENT will grow and bring you rental income! (legal footnote: it is not guaranteed):wall:

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tracked down Hector Tornell from Sunset. He says that what he told one or two people is that the special assessment fee is optional for those who purchased AFTER the hurricane. He was told that he is to refer any further questions about the maintenance fee to Rosario and I checked and was also told that anyone wanting information about it should contact her also at rgonzalez.csc@sunset.com.mx

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I would think that if a special assessment was optional, no one would pay it.:D
I think Jim's explanation makes sense, but still optional assessments is a funny idea.

Hildred

Reaction score
I found an old message board from 1998 by a group of Sunset owners...eight years later and the same problems. Sunset needs to have some sort of oversight, like a Board of Directors made up of Timeshare owners.

Last edited:

edward

Reaction score
Well suprise, suprise we have not had a response from any of the email addresses for the sunset group, that we resent our response for the assessment fee too. We know they have received them, so they can not deny they did not receive them. They have actively chosen to ignore every email we sent, that is a very, very bad decision on their part. It is now well over a month and a half. They have concerns - obviously about our response. We are also sure they understand we will not tolerate any kind of underhanded delayed response.

Jim in Cancun

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you are really interested in a response, for the 3rd time:

April 19, 2006, 06:18 AM #1
Jim in Cancun
BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Posts: 88 Re: Info on Sunset Resorts, Cancun & Playa del Carmen

-------

I repeat the offer made previously to someone else: if you send me your e-mail either here or to jimincancun@yahoo.com I will ask someone I know in their office to contact you. I don't know why they haven't answered or anything about it but can get you a response if you wish.