• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I am tired of poor customer service

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Confidentiality/priveleged information/ HIPPA, etc. may prevent them from disclosing personal & confidential medical information. (aka "noneya").
No one has the right to know if you're diabetic, depressed, bi-polar, hypertensive, etc. without your express and written permission except for a life-threatening condition (not a lack of meet & greet response) and even that may be very tough to obtain.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
I would hope that in a case where a disability was involved, the manager would respond with a discrete explanation, if a customer complained. Most of us are understanding if there is a valid explanation for behavior.

Perhaps "discreet" in this situation means, "You have to believe me when I tell you that Employee X is working to the best of her ability, though I am sorry that your needs were not met. Might I suggest in the future that you seek out Miss Congeniality, who usually works over in housewares. She will take good care of you."

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this reminder

I would encourage customers to recognize that this may be a reason some retail employees respond differently than you might expect. As the parent of a child with autism, I'm around lots of kids whose social skills can be less than ideal. What's hard for casual observers to understand is that these kids are trying - it's just that they "see" the world differently. They also often have to deal with much anxiety and stress at being in work situations that require lots of interaction. They are uncomfortable with eye contact, don't easily make small talk, and may be trying to hide small tics or repetitive motions that help them calm themselves.

Was that the situation with the employee the OP encountered? Of course, I don't know, but just want to remind people that many people in the work force deal with "invisible" disabilities that make their lives challenging.

We have a friend whose son with Aspergers works the check out lane at a major grocery store. While he is able to do the required "greetings," he otherwise focuses only on scanning the items, taking payment, etc., There's no additional eye contact or conversation, and he has some funny motions he makes. I'm sure others in line think he's unfriendly, but he's just doing the job to the best of his ability. His managers really like him, because he's extremely reliable, accurate, and willing to come in to work whenever they need him. He tells his parents he likes the job because he only has to deal with one person at a time!

While these employees can seem less than ideal to the casual shopper, it's actually to all our benefit to have kids like him in the workplace. Rather than becoming a drain on society and having to live off disability, they are supporting themselves - and contributing to social security (for our retirements) rather than having to draw it themselves.

....I admit that I have been put-off occasionally by a lack of acknowledgement and eye contact, but not to the point of complaining to the store manager. I would prefer to utilize your reminder that indeed this may be a case of someone that is doing the best that they can and are, indeed, a contributing member of society and that the store is giving them an opportunity to do so. Thank you, again, for the reminder.:)

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work in customer service and think it is one of, if not the main reason that people will discontinue or continue to be a customer. Even if I am having a bad day I don't take it out on my customers. I may explain a situation that has or may caused a delay in service, but in reality it isn't there problem it is mine.

In our office, on my team, we have lost customers due to the market. But almost all of them return as they state they can't get good customer service. One of my customers stated they would gladly pay just to be able to work with me, and I have one client who sends me flowers on my birthday every year.

On my first job, which was in the customer service/pickup department in a warehouse the owner taught me that all customers were important, regardless of how much they had paid. The client who pays $50 is just as important as the client who pays $10,000. It is something that I try to remember in the treatment of my clients.

On the flip side I will take my business elsewhere if I feel the service is bad. There is a local shop where I buy craft supplies. Twice I have tried to return things and was given a hard time. The last time I brought back a product that cost $1.69. I had the receipt, since I had bought the product the night before, and just wanted to exchange it for a different color. I was told that they wouldn't take it because I hadn't purchased that product there, even though I had the receipt. :annoyed: So for $1.69 they lost me as a customer. (I didn't tell the manager because the owner was standing there and made no comment as the cashier continued to argue that I did not purchase the product there.) I went down the street to a similar shop and asked if they carried a specific product. They stated they did not but ordered it and contacted me to let me know they now had it in stock and had put one behind the counter for me for when I was in the area again. Any guess as to where I buy my supplies now?

As to the original post would I have contacted the manager? Me, personally, no. I have had rude/bad customer service before and have complained if I find it is a pattern of behavior, resulting in a least 3 people, that I know of, being fired. So I try to use some discretion. I would have waited until the cashier held out the receipt until I had eye contact and stated "I hope your day gets better." Unless someone is down right rude I don't complain, because I know how hard it can be on the other side of the counter. Any patterns of customer service should be reported to a manger both good and bad. IMHO

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I haven't read all the responses, but in my company, we appreciate the information when a customer is treated poorly. Managers can't watch every transaction and some employees are on perfect behavior when they know they are being watched. Corrective action will happen when we're made aware of poor service.

The customers you lose are the ones who don't complain. I, for example, have stopped my frequent trips to Kohls after one too many poor customer service experiences. They have lost me. Probably for good. They have a chance at saving you as a customer.

My daughter received very poor treatment in a branch of my company in another state. She did not complain. I ask her to fill out a comment card with the information, but she didn't want to. As in the original post, it was difficult to put a finger on any clear violation of the rules. The clerk was just uncaring and did the absolute minimum to complete the transaction, causing a problem for my daughter. I've ask her to give me the exact location so I can send an email to the office manager. She probably won't. I wish she would.

In the past, there have been areas (resorts for example) so desparate for help that they just had to put up with any pitiful employees they could hire. I think that may turn around in today's economy with so many people losing jobs or having their hours cut back. Maybe the poor employees will start to get the boot. I certainly hope so. Making an example of one might improve the performance of the others.

Sheila

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Employers are not allowed to disclose a disability. Confidentiality is part of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Wow, really? I did not know this. I will really have to keep this in mind for the future. I try to be very selective in complaints to management, although it sounds as though many here agree that the OP was in full right to complain as she did.

Janna

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, really? I did not know this. I will really have to keep this in mind for the future. I try to be very selective in complaints to management, although it sounds as though many here agree that the OP was in full right to complain as she did.

Janna

No one is saying that bad service should go unmentioned, however, this is tad extreme and there's a strong possibility that the cashier has an invisible disability.

You know, there's filing a complaint for bad service and that's understandable, but " I told him that going forward I was going to report to him on each transaction, good or bad " for someone not saying hello ?
Yes, the OP has the right to complain and many can agree with her, that's not in question here. Making a federal case ? Not thinking that perhaps there's more here than meets the eye beyond our little scope of the world ?

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh for heavens sake....

OP hasn't done anything wrong folks. She complained to the store manager about a slight she experienced and promised to let him know what her future experiences bring, positive or negative. This is called feedback, and if I'm running a business which relies on customer service, I'd welcome this feedback.

I may come off a little insensitive here but it's not her responsibility to assume that someone is handicapped, or is challanged in some way. Lets stop making excuses for being treated poorly and expect better. Some people don't belong in some jobs, and if it's a customer service job with interaction with the public, get someone who can do this.

If you feel it's ok to be ignored, fine...that's your business. There used to be something taught called manners. There used to be a work ethic in this country where you did the best job you can and treat people fairly with respect.

I'm not looking to be carried in and out of the store on a golden throne, but simple respect and manners is not something we should be surprised to encounter. Our expectations should be quite a bit higher, and likewise we as customers need to be respectful and polite with those we encounter.

(Stepping off my soapbox now)

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh for heavens sake....

OP hasn't done anything wrong folks. She complained to the store manager about a slight she experienced and promised to let him know what her future experiences bring, positive or negative. This is called feedback, and if I'm running a business which relies on customer service, I'd welcome this feedback.

I may come off a little insensitive here but it's not her responsibility to assume that someone is handicapped, or is challanged in some way. Lets stop making excuses for being treated poorly and expect better. Some people don't belong in some jobs, and if it's a customer service job with interaction with the public, get someone who can do this.

If you feel it's ok to be ignored, fine...that's your business. There used to be something taught called manners. There used to be a work ethic in this country where you did the best job you can and treat people fairly with respect.

I'm not looking to be carried in and out of the store on a golden throne, but simple respect and manners is not something we should be surprised to encounter. Our expectations should be quite a bit higher, and likewise we as customers need to be respectful and polite with those we encounter.

(Stepping off my soapbox now)

You might have totally missed this, so let me restate:

No one is saying that bad service should go unmentioned, however, this is tad extreme .

Last edited:

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is denying that bad service should go unmentioned, however, this is tad extreme and there's a strong possibility that the cashier has an invisible disability.

That may be, but I agree with UWsurfer. I am not insensitive to people with disabilities, as I have certain mobility problems myself. But as a customer I expect certain service from businesses I frequent and as such would let the manager know I was not happy with a certain employee. It would therefore be incumbent on the manager to determine if that employee should continue serving the public or should be assigned another job that they would be more qualified in. I am of the opinion that too many of us don't complain enough and therefore the common courtesys are vanishing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is denying that bad service should go unmentioned, however, this is tad extreme and there's a strong possibility that the cashier has an invisible disability.

That may be, but I agree with UWsurfer. I am not insensitive to people with disabilities, as I have certain mobility problems myself. But as a customer I expect certain service from businesses I frequent and as such would let the manager know I was not happy with a certain employee. It would therefore be incumbent on the manager to determine if that employee should continue serving the public or should be assigned another job that they would be more qualified in. I am of the opinion that too many of us don't complain enough and therefore the common courtesys are vanishing.

Yes, complain, complain away, no problem, but once again, " I told him that going forward I was going to report to him on each transaction, good or bad " .Puulleezze.
What comes to mind is "put on your big girl panties and deal with it".
Always give the benefit of the doubt.
Overly developed sense of entitlement here IMHO.

Last edited:

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one is saying that bad service should go unmentioned, however, this is tad extreme and there's a strong possibility that the cashier has an invisible disability.

Upon what do you base the statement that there is a "strong possibility" that the cashier in question has an invisible disability? Do you know this cashier or did you also have an encounter with this cashier?

Statistically, do you think it is more likely that the cashier has a poor attitude, or an invisible disability? I'm not saying it can't happen, or that we should not have compassion, I'm just looking at the likelihood of each possibility.

I have read this thread with great interest, because I, too, am tired of poor customer service. Too many times I am the one saying "thank you." My personal pet peeve is someone talking on the phone while waiting on me, especially if it seems to be a personal conversation. Customer service, or lack thereof, definitely influences my decision on where to shop.

While on the surface the reaction of the OP might seem a bit extreme, sometimes the action that leads us to reaction is just one of many small things added together. Maybe it was the last straw.

JMO

ctscribe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Customer Service and good customer relations are just about extinct. Many places hire young adults. These young adults especially here on the east coast don't care about you, your order, or what you want. They stand there and roll thier eyes at you. If you interrupt one them texting while working, be prepared for rotten customer service.

I'm not trying to say all customer service are bad. However if you walk to the regesiter/ counter and say hello (try to be cordial) get a big sigh or the attitude that irritates the heck of me. I realize most of these places have trouble retaining help, yet alone good help.

I have been on both sides of customer service, and know people can be very annoying to CSR Customer Servcie reps.

So even when your pleasent to the CSR in the stores some are great some are not. However, when the manager arrogant and condescending, it's not hard to figure where the help get it from.

In dealing with DRI and II, I have had good CSR's. I have had excellent service with TPI.

Still I try to be nice, as you don't act like them.

Dave:(

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Honestly... when do we say enough is enough. I don't think the OP acted out of line at all.

You know there is always an excuse for someone's behavior from they are underpaid, they have a invisible disability, they are on drugs, they just got a divorce, their house burnt down, they are stressed out, they are worried about their kids at home, etc.. You know what not everyone's life is all peachy. I've had to live through some terrible ups and downs in my life. In fact, when I was a teenager working at Longs Drug Store my family was going through a VERY difficult time. I use to love to work because I could escape from home and put a smile on face and not dwell on my home life. But back then, they just fired you if you didn't act friendly in the store. Not like today where they have to make sure the firing was legal to avoid lawsuit.

You know what not everyone can do every job. I really think nowerdays employers do a poor job of matching employees to the job. I'm not sure what the cause is because they could range from limited number of applicants to pick from, interviewing process, etc...

Anyways... it is really frustrating to go out and get good servce anywhere. Most of the time I feel like the best service I get is when I order my stuff online... Sad but true!!!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The OP asked "Was I wrong?". This usually tends to mean there is some question about the action one has taken.

I go back to my original post. Personally, I wouldn't have reported it.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If the CSR is not openly rude, like showing her attitudes out where everyone can see them my feeling is do not judge unless you are ready to walk in their shoes. Most of us here are very blessed. We can pay our bills and have a little left over for a nice vacation. As we see our economy tumble we may see more of what the OP has described. The CSR was doing the job as if he/she was in a daze- could it be that things in her life are really bad- God forbid she just found out that her child had cancer. She still has to pull her self together to go to work because she is the person in her household that works for the benefits. She has to becarefull not to use too many PN days because she will lose her job. She is trying to make it through each day the best she can and once in a while finds her self caught in auto pilot. This is a bad scenario I am painting, and hopefully way off base but the point is unless someone is just out there- count your blessings that it is not you. JMHO

Charlie D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, someone did not return a smile nor, heaven forbid, acknowledge someone at the check out counter. Did she charge the correct amount? Did she correctly apply the 20% off? Did she put the item(s) in a bag? Somewhere between the original and the 68th post this lady went from being a cashier to a CSR which I take to mean a customer service representative. I would guess a customer service representative would be one who smiles from ear to ear and tells the customer what they want to hear, etc., etc.

I expect cashiers to get my items scanned, rung up or whatever and get me out of the store ASAP. Most of them say hi, or whatever but that is secondary to me to their primary duty of checking me out, period. Even if I did say hi or hello first that is simply trying to be nice. Most of the time they reply hi, hello, or whatever which is them trying to be nice in return. No, it wouldn’t bother me if she or he was not Ms/Mr. congeniality and did not want to say hello. No, I don’t say thank you very often because they just got through doing something they are being paid to do – checking me out.

Charlie D.

M. Henley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminded

I am reminded of something that I read maybe 50 years ago, back in the days when "dime stores" hadf bulk candy which they weighed up according to customer desire.

A manager noticed that one lady working in the candy area always had a line, even when one or more other employees were not busy. After observing behaviors for a few days, the manager finally figuyred out that the busy employee always put a little less than the requested amount on the scale, then added more, whereas the others always put too much on the scale then took away some.

Marketing is a tricky busioness.

:doh:

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the OP?

It's been almost three days since the OP asked her question. This will be the 70th reply in this thread (unless someone else is posting at the same time and then this will be the 71st reply). The OP has not joined in the discussion--not even to say "thank you" to the many tuggers who have taken the time to read and respond to her question. Should we assume that, since she is not acknowledging us, that:
1) she has an invisible disability that makes it difficult or impossible for her to respond in a manner I have come to expect from TUG?
2) she has had some terrible news making it difficult or impossible for her to respond in a manner I have come to expect from TUG? (I sincerely hope not.)
3) she has no people-friendly skills?
4) she is just plain rude?

All of these things have been brought up in discussions of the Kohl's clerk. I think they can be applied to the OP--and to each and every one of us.

Frankly, I don't care (except I hope the OP is okay) and I am not going to get in a snit about being snubbed (I am wearing my big girl panties) . Just making an observation on the irony in this thread.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's been almost three days since the OP asked her question.

If you look at her public profile, you will see that she hasn't logged onto TUG since the 17th (when she posted) so my best guess is that she hasn't seen any of the responses....

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you look at her public profile, you will see that she hasn't logged onto TUG since the 17th (when she posted) so my best guess is that she hasn't seen any of the responses....

I did look at her profile to see when she had last logged in and couldn't tell. I could tell that her last post was the OP in this thread but not whether she had logged in just to read. How do you do that?

Anyway, it goes back to what I said. I hope she is okay.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
She took a job at Kohl's and will straighten that company out one cashier at a time ?

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Possibly the OP got over the situation once they vented....

...and hasn't given it a second thought since posting. Obviously, that's not the case for the rest of us.;)