• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Ka'anapali Resort Presentation

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To expand on your question about EOY ownerships and Interval....

With an EOY ownership you pay the MF every other year, but you pay the now $157 club dues every year. This allows you to do both Hyatt and Interval transactions at any time.

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Residence Club Kanapali
Redweek quoted me around $3k closing costs, fyi. Add that into your total purchase price estimates
Thanks, Redweek quoted me around $1800 in fees ($1000 closing + $650 Hyatt transfer fees + $99 Redweek fees) for a 2BR EOY floating week purchase.

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To expand on your question about EOY ownerships and Interval....

With an EOY ownership you pay the MF every other year, but you pay the now $157 club dues every year. This allows you to do both Hyatt and Interval transactions at any time.
Thank you! I think that makes EOY appealing if I want to get into HKB and Interval without the high upfront cost.

Another question comes to mind: How easy is it to rent your week if you want to vacation somewhere else? What is the best website for both owners and guests? Airbnb? Redweek?...

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
EOY points are tricky to deal with if using points - as opposed to using the unit EOY on the assigned date (or on an eligible floating week). They have a limited life span of one year without restrictions and that has to be aligned with booking windows.

I agree with others - i would not buy HKB unless you plan to use it almost all of the time. I would not buy it to rent - you will be chasing money. So if you are thinking you won't mostly use it, i would consider buying resale elsewhere and getting used to the system.

I am somewhat like Scoop in that i don't have to have the fanciest but I do like nicer places with good resort grounds. Our only Maui trip was to Kaanapali Beach club and we loved it there - rooms nice enough and the grounds were beautiful - the beach was rocky there though. There are also nice Westin and Marriott properties. Marriott weeks owners have trade preferential within Marriott and that seems to work well for them (they have access to Marriott inventory in interval for a few weeks before anyone outside Marriott could even see it).

If you want HBK and are going to use it, great. One of the best properties on Maui. If not, there are a lot of other options.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
I forgot to ask: Do people who have EOY ownership receive a full Interval subscription?
And with purchasing resale, does the lifetime Gold membership get transferred to the buyer?
Can they also purchase getaways during the years when they are not entitled to use their HKB week? Additionally, is the HOA fee required to be paid every other year as well? Are there any fees that someone with EOY ownership should pay during the years they don't have access to their timeshare week?
For EOY ownership, you will receive full Interval membership as those fees are included in the Maintenance Fee. The full HOA (Maintenance) fee is paid for the applicable year you own. For the alternate years, you pay a fee of about $165.

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For EOY ownership, you will receive full Interval membership as those fees are included in the Maintenance Fee. The full HOA (Maintenance) fee is paid for the applicable year you own. For the alternate years, you pay a fee of about $165.

We are considering revisiting Maui since the kids truly enjoy it, but we may not go every year. The EOY becomes an appealing option if we stumble upon a great deal.
When utilizing Interval getaways, does it matter which timeshare you own, whether it's in Maui or Key West? From the sales pitch we received at HKB, it seems that the highlight was the attractive prices for getaways. However, we are uncertain if the prices are truly favorable. Our preference is for clean and safe accommodations; we aren't interested in spending time on a lanai simply gazing at a $600 view :)

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
We are considering revisiting Maui since the kids truly enjoy it, but we may not go every year. The EOY becomes an appealing option if we stumble upon a great deal.
When utilizing Interval getaways, does it matter which timeshare you own, whether it's in Maui or Key West? From the sales pitch we received at HKB, it seems that the highlight was the attractive prices for getaways. However, we are uncertain if the prices are truly favorable. Our preference is for clean and safe accommodations; we aren't interested in spending time on a lanai simply gazing at a $600 view :)

The getaways are the same price no matter where you own. And the same availability. It's surplus inventory, and places that don't exchange but want to charge by the week (typically European cities.)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I think that makes EOY appealing if I want to get into HKB and Interval without the high upfront cost.

Another question comes to mind: How easy is it to rent your week if you want to vacation somewhere else? What is the best website for both owners and guests? Airbnb? Redweek?...
Check out Redweeks now. EOY, 2 BR, Week 15, Floor Band 9-12 at $22K

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Check out Redweeks now. EOY, 2 BR, Week 15, Floor Band 9-12 at $22K
Thanks Kal, I am more interested in floating weeks as I believe they give me more flexibility in choosing when to use my week. Is it easy or possible to trade my fixed week with another week in HKB?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Kal, I am more interested in floating weeks as I believe they give me more flexibility in choosing when to use my week. Is it easy or possible to trade my fixed week with another week in HKB?
I just wanted to give you a perspective on pricing. No, it is NOT easy to trade weeks at HKB.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I just wanted to give you a perspective on pricing. No, it is NOT easy to trade weeks at HKB.

Do float owners receive priority over the rest of the HRC owners who wish to trade in? And is there a window in which they receive priority?

I don't think I've seen this answered and it would clear up a great deal for prospective HKB owners.

@hkbowner -- if Maui works the way the rest of the club works, then any Hyatt week is as good as another when it comes to trades. The worst Hyatt week can trade for the best week -- if they have enough points to make it happen. HKB is different. And demand is off the scale. So it will continue to be its own little timeshare universe for many more years.

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do float owners receive priority over the rest of the HRC owners who wish to trade in? And is there a window in which they receive priority?

I don't think I've seen this answered and it would clear up a great deal for prospective HKB owners.

@hkbowner -- if Maui works the way the rest of the club works, then any Hyatt week is as good as another when it comes to trades. The worst Hyatt week can trade for the best week -- if they have enough points to make it happen. HKB is different. And demand is off the scale. So it will continue to be its own little timeshare universe for many more years.

Yes, HKB is special, and it sells very fast on Redweek. I have concluded that buying resale is the way to go, but I need to be patient. :)

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score

Float owners still operate within the HRPP frame. From the day you receive the new points, the confirmation must be received within 6 months. Following that, the points go into CUP and you have to compete just like other HRC members with points. The sooner you confirm, you have a "priority" in your floor band for your preferred choice of specific unit. You will stay in your floor band. During that 6 months, float units are not available to fixed week owners.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Float owners still operate within the HRPP frame. From the day you receive the new points, the confirmation must be received within 6 months. Following that, the points go into CUP and you have to compete just like other HRC members with points. The sooner you confirm, you have a "priority" in your floor band for your preferred choice of specific unit. You will stay in your floor band. During that 6 months, float units are not available to fixed week owners.

Based on that, I'd buy a Sedona week and save a packet compared to the HKB maintenance fees.

But, then again, I'm already on record that I'd rather go cheap and get more time.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on that, I'd buy a Sedona week and save a packet compared to the HKB maintenance fees.

But, then again, I'm already on record that I'd rather go cheap and get more time.
HKB is not a cheap play for initial capital and MF. A person just has to set their own priorities. Maui is not an inexpensive vacation destination so if you play with the numbers, the nightly cost (MF/7) is a good deal....at that level of quality. Compare the nightly cost to the Ritz Carlton or Grand Wailea for a 2BR ocean view and you will be shocked.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
HKB is not a cheap play for initial capital and MF. A person just has to set their own priorities. Maui is not an inexpensive vacation destination so if you play with the numbers, the nightly cost (MF/7) is a good deal....at that level of quality. Compare the nightly cost to the Ritz Carlton or Grand Wailea for a 2BR ocean view and you will be shocked.

I see the value, absolutely. And when compared to 5-star hotels, it's a slam-dunk.

But in the 10 years of "reconnaissance missions" to Hawaii to determine where we wanted to live, we stayed all over the islands. Never once was I unhappy with the resort. And many of them are nice by any yardstick. All that on a maintenance fee of around $1000/year.

On the flip side of that, when we bought our forever farm on the Big Island, we made sure it had a gazillion-dollar view. Because we're going to enjoy that every day for the rest of our lives. And the location is top notch -- same thing. It's something we'll enjoy.

But now my frugal vacationing has to be continued because with farm expenses, there's very little left for anything else. If there was unlimited funds for Ritz Carlton and Intercontinental everywhere we go, that would be just fine. But it's going to be airbnb for the foreseeable future.

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If someone mentions the resale price during those sales pitches, do you think there's a chance they could try to match it? I mean, buying directly from the developer at a great price doesn't sound too shabby, right?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If someone mentions the resale price during those sales pitches, do you think there's a chance they could try to match it? I mean, buying directly from the developer at a great price doesn't sound too shabby, right?

HA HA HA or LOL.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score

They might say they will match a resale price, but what is in the contract would likely be another thing ... ;)

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After I rescinded, I received my refund and was offered another access package for a 6-day/5-night stay at a cost of $3000 (-$250 credit). We are currently considering this offer and plan to negotiate during the sales pitch. From my understanding, HKB timeshare is exceptional and distinct from other HRC resorts. Tell me I am crazy :)
I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips. Thank you!

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
A
I attended the Maui sales pitch, not an owner's update. I've been to MANY of these sessions and this was by far the most through where I did not catch them on a single untruth. I dealt with very senior and highly experienced people. It actually was a relief even though I was set for a sporting event. I substantially increased my knowledge base on the Maui system functions. Some interesting factoids:
- 70% of the resort are fixed weeks, 30% are float weeks
- the weeks units are 70% sold out
- there are 40 float units per week, those are 60% sold out (all 1 BR units are sold)
- float owners are evenly distributed between the 3 floor bands
- week owners have no access to floaters and vice-versa
- there are provisions were a weeks owner can swap to another week
- pricing of the units is based on Maui real estate sales Island wide (rather than Hyatt supply and demand)
- they are back to special discounts expiring at the end of the presentation day
- they see the HPP system as where Marriott ended up and are sooooo happy to have nothing to do with it; points are "blue sky"
- it is extremely difficult (almost impossible) to get into Maui using CUP points from other HRC resorts
- owners generally rent their units on their own rather turn them into the HRC pool
- they are not familiar with the involvement of the developer (and that's NOT Hyatt)
- rent at the Hyatt Regency next door is $800/nite for a basic room
- a basic room at the Grand Wailea or Ritz Carlton is $1800/nite
- the property is in magnificent condition
Although it is not yet impossible to use CUP points to exchange. It may soon be

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Because of increased demand or program rule changes or what?

Supply and demand. HKB is the hottest timeshare in the US (if not the hottest, it's near the top of the list. I know of no other timeshare that has the kind of demand HKB has.)

I'm willing to literally bet the farm that demand will lessen over time. And HKB will be much easier to trade into -- especially as owners age out of traveling, lose their infatuation with Maui, etc.

I've stayed at a dozen resorts in Hawaii over the last 10 years -- scouting for locations to retire to. Not once have I been unhappy with the resort. And many of them are "nice" by any yardstick you care to measure them with.

Scavanjer

Reaction score
Supply and demand. HKB is the hottest timeshare in the US (if not the hottest, it's near the top of the list. I know of no other timeshare that has the kind of demand HKB has.)

I'm willing to literally bet the farm that demand will lessen over time. And HKB will be much easier to trade into -- especially as owners age out of traveling, lose their infatuation with Maui, etc.

I've stayed at a dozen resorts in Hawaii over the last 10 years -- scouting for locations to retire to. Not once have I been unhappy with the resort. And many of them are "nice" by any yardstick you care to measure them with.
Which other timeshare property on Maui, or any other island, would you rank close to HKB in quality, view and amenities?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Which other timeshare property on Maui, or any other island, would you rank close to HKB in quality, view and amenities?

None. If some eccentric millionaire offered to trade HKB for wherever I was staying thanks to interval, I'd take that trade in a heartbeat. But I'd rather have a month of Interval resorts than a week of HKB.