• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Ka'anapali Resort Presentation

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We just attended yesterday. There was no pressure, just info. We will most likely get the $2,900 sampler package plus 25,000 Hyatt points. The Incentive for attending was a sunset dinner cruise and $100 visa card. They said they are almost 80% sold out. We looked at a middle floor June unit which was cheaper interestingly than a lower floor floating week. The COVID discounts are still being offered.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I wouldn't purchase a week at HKB. Don't get me wrong, if I was staying in some other Maui timeshare; and someone made me an offer to swap what I had for HKB; I would take that deal in a split second.

It's similar to the comedian who jokes about hotels with views ("Honey, we ain't going anywhere. We're going to sit right here and look at this $600 view all day.") Everything I like about Hawaii is outside. I spend very little time inside. And so long as the place is clean and comfortable, one timeshare is as good as any other. I'm only going to be there for 10 hours a day, maximum.

I'd rather own a Sedona bronze week and trade for an Interval 2 bedroom. I'm not even particularly picky about which island -- there really isn't all that much difference between the islands. (Sure, one has a city. One has a volcano. But apart from that, all of them have lovely scenery, snorkeling, and the best raw ingredients on earth. And lifted Toyota pickup trucks.)

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't purchase a week at HKB. Don't get me wrong, if I was staying in some other Maui timeshare; and someone made me an offer to swap what I had for HKB; I would take that deal in a split second.

It's similar to the comedian who jokes about hotels with views ("Honey, we ain't going anywhere. We're going to sit right here and look at this $600 view all day.") Everything I like about Hawaii is outside. I spend very little time inside. And so long as the place is clean and comfortable, one timeshare is as good as any other. I'm only going to be there for 10 hours a day, maximum.

I'd rather own a Sedona bronze week and trade for an Interval 2 bedroom. I'm not even particularly picky about which island -- there really isn't all that much difference between the islands. (Sure, one has a city. One has a volcano. But apart from that, all of them have lovely scenery, snorkeling, and the best raw ingredients on earth. And lifted Toyota pickup trucks.)
Have you stayed there? The lanai opens up the length of the living room and it is like being outdoors with the ocean waves crashing below. I also like being able to walk everywhere. I completely agree with the great trades in interval but we looked every day for quite awhile searching in interval and Hawaii weeks are hard to find. I can see more with my Kierland week than Sedona or beach house

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Have you stayed there? The lanai opens up the length of the living room and it is like being outdoors with the ocean waves crashing below. I also like being able to walk everywhere. I completely agree with the great trades in interval but we looked every day for quite awhile searching in interval and Hawaii weeks are hard to find. I can see more with my Kierland week than Sedona or beach house

No, I haven't stayed there. But I stand by my points -- I don't spend enough inside the room to justify the cost. The kitchen is nicer in a Hyatt but isn't THAT much nicer. I'm not ever going to use a pool in a Hawaiian resort. There aren't any reefs or creatures to see in a pool. Just loads of screaming children.

Would I be happier at the Hyatt, if I had an unlimited amount of money? Yes. But if I had an unlimited amount of money, I could find much better than HKB.

For the same money, I would rather buy four weeks elsewhere and take more vacations than buy a week at HKB. If someone feels it is a good value, that's fine too. I'm not the timeshare dictator. But everything I want in Hawaii exists away from the resort. The resort exists for sleeping, making morning coffee, slamming down a quickie breakfast and getting outside. And then cooking up some sort of seafood dish for dinner, just as the sun is setting -- preferably on a grill. But I can saute my way to victory if necessary.

So long as it's clean and comfortable, I would be just as happy with a tiny house -- even happier if it's closer to where I want to go snorkeling.

Reactions: Kal

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Residence Club Kanapali
I attended a presentation yesterday and ended up purchasing a 1 floating week 2-bedroom timeshare on the lower floors for $68,000. The salespeople told me that this was the locked-in price from 2019 when I first attended their sales pitches to receive free luau tickets. I still have the option to rescind the purchase since I am within the first 7 days of signing. I'm unsure if I made a big mistake or if it's really worth it. They mentioned that I can trade in my 1 week for 2 to 4 weeks elsewhere in the world, and they recommended using Interval International to book getaways for as little as $250 per week in some places. It sounds too good to be true, and I'm wondering if all the promises made by the salespeople, who were very nice, will actually come true. I'm new to timeshares, and I'm uncertain if I made the right decision. Thank you!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I attended a presentation yesterday and ended up purchasing a 1 floating week 2-bedroom timeshare on the lower floors for $68,000. The salespeople told me that this was the locked-in price from 2019 when I first attended their sales pitches to receive free luau tickets. I still have the option to rescind the purchase since I am within the first 7 days of signing. I'm unsure if I made a big mistake or if it's really worth it. They mentioned that I can trade in my 1 week for 2 to 4 weeks elsewhere in the world, and they recommended using Interval International to book getaways for as little as $250 per week in some places. It sounds too good to be true, and I'm wondering if all the promises made by the salespeople, who were very nice, will actually come true. I'm new to timeshares, and I'm uncertain if I made the right decision. Thank you!

1) It's up to you if it's worth it. HKB is one of the rare places where paying the developer price is the only real game in town.
2) You can very easily trade in Interval. I do so with my Key West week, which isn't nearly as nice as what you have. And I get pretty much what I want, when I want it. That being said, I'm the sort of person who will say "Iraq in July? Sure! Why not? What could possibly go wrong?" In the 20 years I've owned Hyatt, I've spent most of my points trading to II resorts in Europe, Napa and San Francisco.
3) Getaways are easy and plentiful -- but they're generally not going to be $250 unless you really like Branson and Orlando.

Here's the down side: You can buy an inexpensive Sedona, San Antonio, or Key West week and do almost everything your Maui week will do -- at less than 1/10th the price and less than half the annual maintenance fee. However, trading into Maui is basically impossible. And that's where they've got you. If you want HKB, you're going to pretty-much have to own HKB, or get very, very lucky. If you're OK visiting other Hawaiian islands, or other Maui resorts, you can rescind and save a small fortune. But if you love HKB, you may as well keep what you have.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I didn't already own 5 timeshares, Hyatt Maui is the only one I'd buy from the developer . However if I owned in Hawaii with Maintenance fees of 3400, I wouldn't trade in interval. You can rent Maui easily and then rent anywhere. A resale week at Sedona is a good trader in interval or for other internal Hyatt resorts. We have managed to get Ka'anapali every yr by waitlisting but it is not as easy as it was. It is a fabulous resort . You may be able to find a resale week but they are still pricey.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
HKB is perhaps a unique resort in the HRC. Let's assume you can recoup your capital cost thru resale. The marginal cost then becomes the MF, currently about $3,400. So the goal is to obtain the best value on those costs. That would be occupy the unit or rent it out. You can also use the point value thru CUP bookings or Interval, but that work well if you are close to brain dead.

Occupy the unit - In comparison, quality bookings for a 2BR place along Kaanapali run well north of $600/nite. For 7 nites that's $4,200 plus tax. That's a nice savings for vacation time.

Rent the unit - Easily $8,000 (and maybe measureably higher). If you own a floating week, that provides a huge flexibility for selection of weeks. With an out of pocket cost of $3,400, the ROI is fantastic. If you add in the original capital cost (say $40K), the ROI on the combined cash outlay is still north of 18%.

Purchase a CD with all that cash and get an ROI of maybe 3%???

I don't see any other HRC resort in this situation.

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for your replies. I have recently checked out Redweek and found that their prices are quite appealing compared to what I can get from the developer. However, I am unsure about the legitimacy of Redweek and what additional fees I can expect to pay in addition to the posted prices for the weeks for sale. As a newcomer to timeshare, I believe it can be a positive experience if approached correctly. I genuinely appreciate everyone's advice.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I have recently checked out Redweek and found that their prices are quite appealing compared to what I can get from the developer. However, I am unsure about the legitimacy of Redweek and what additional fees I can expect to pay in addition to the posted prices for the weeks for sale. As a newcomer to timeshare, I believe it can be a positive experience if approached correctly. I genuinely appreciate everyone's advice.
I own a HKB 2BR, top floor band, floating week. You need to rescind immediately. You paid WAY too much. It is perfectly fine buying a resale week from Redweek or a number of other resale agents.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own a HKB 2BR, top floor band, floating week. You need to rescind immediately. You paid WAY too much. It is perfectly fine buying a resale week from Redweek or a number of other resale agents.
Kal what is a good resale price for a 2 bedroom every year, floating week? We prefer middle or top floor but would even consider a lower floor.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal what is a good resale price for a 2 bedroom every year, floating week? We prefer middle or top floor but would even consider a lower floor.
Yes Rescind and be patient to find a good resale deal. Redweek is very reputable but you still need to do your due diligence on any seller. For these high end Maui TSs price gap between resale and direct isn't as much as other TSs but you can save as much as 10-15% in my estimation.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek in and of itself is very legitimate. Can some of the individual users be shady? Absolutely. But you can mitigate that by using a reputable closing company and escrow service. Personally, I definitely wouldn't just send money directly to the seller.

The only additional fees aside from the purchase price would be closing costs. Those depend on things such as transfer fees imposed by the timeshare company and what the closing company charges. How much of those fees you pay as the buyer depends on what you can negotiate with the seller. Sometimes the buyer pays it all, sometimes the seller does, sometimes they are split between the two.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Checking Redweeks now, there are 2 floaters - EY at $42 and EOY at $24. Those are fair prices that deserve a look. There are other prices that you might look at also.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Checking Redweeks now, there are 2 floaters - EY at $42 and EOY at $24. Those are fair prices that deserve a look. There are other prices that you might look at also.
Thanks Kal!

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thank you, Kal. Could you please provide some guidance on what features would make for an ideal purchase? Is having a floating week important, and are upper floors more desirable than lower floors when renting through Interval International (II)?
In my particular situation, for a 2BR floating week in a lower flour, we paid $63,000 after factoring in all the incentives they offered us, in addition to receiving 250,000 World of Hyatt (WOH) points. However, I believe this price is still too high. I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Kal. Could you please provide some guidance on what features would make for an ideal purchase? Is having a floating week important, and are upper floors more desirable than lower floors when renting through Interval International (II)?
In my particular situation, for a 2BR floating week in a lower flour, we paid $63,000 after factoring in all the incentives they offered us, in addition to receiving 250,000 World of Hyatt (WOH) points. However, I believe this price is still too high. I would appreciate your thoughts on that.
For some time the upper floor band was highly desired, but spendy. Now it appears the target choice is the mid-floor band, largely due to price. Hyatt said they would increase the price of the mid-band so I don't know where the pricing range is now. The low-band can get be less desireable due to noise and palm trees. Some people like the low band because it takes less effort to get to the ground floor.

The WOH points is always an incentive, but there are limitations on usage and Hyatt has a history of increasing the number of points to get a reservation. If that is an incentive, I would want 350,000 WOH points. That is in their barganing chip. If you actually use the points very wisely, that could be a value but not enough to make up the difference from $63K. Remember, out of that $63K price, they pay commissions to multiple people. Buy resale and at least save that margin.

The floating week is fantastic as you can go at different times of the year. I created a chart which shows how Hyatt values different weeks (see attached). This is based on Hyatt's own pricing for each week. There are good weeks, and not so good.

Attachments

• Relative pricing pix.pdf
    45.3 KB · Views: 39

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For some time the upper floor band was highly desired, but spendy. Now it appears the target choice is the mid-floor band, largely due to price. Hyatt said they would increase the price of the mid-band so I don't know where the pricing range is now. The low-band can get be less desireable due to noise and palm trees. Some people like the low band because it takes less effort to get to the ground floor.

The WOH points is always an incentive, but there are limitations on usage and Hyatt has a history of increasing the number of points to get a reservation. If that is an incentive, I would want 350,000 WOH points. That is in their barganing chip. If you actually use the points very wisely, that could be a value but not enough to make up the difference from $63K. Remember, out of that $63K price, they pay commissions to multiple people. Buy resale and at least save that margin.

The floating week is fantastic as you can go at different times of the year. I created a chart which shows how Hyatt values different weeks (see attached). This is based on Hyatt's own pricing for each week. There are good weeks, and not so good.

Thank you for the valuable insights. Regarding the II membership, as a new buyer from the developer, I would be a II platinum member for 2 years and then a gold member for life. Would this compensate for the price difference between my $63k purchase and the eventual resale value?

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the valuable insights. Regarding the II membership, as a new buyer from the developer, I would be a II platinum member for 2 years and then a gold member for life. Would this compensate for the price difference between my $63k purchase and the eventual resale value?
No it's not that expensive to upgrade to platinum. We always upgrade something close to $60 if I remember but maybe someone knows the exact amount

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No it's not that expensive to upgrade to platinum. We always upgrade something close to $60 if I remember but maybe someone knows the exact amount
Thanks!
I forgot to ask: Do people who have EOY ownership receive a full Interval subscription?
And with purchasing resale, does the lifetime Gold membership get transferred to the buyer?
Can they also purchase getaways during the years when they are not entitled to use their HKB week? Additionally, is the HOA fee required to be paid every other year as well? Are there any fees that someone with EOY ownership should pay during the years they don't have access to their timeshare week?

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We don't own every other yr so I don't have all the answers but yes you can buy getaways any time as you own a full interval subscription .

hkbowner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, Platinum just means some minor discounts and generally isn't worth it -- unless you buy LOT of getaways.
Thank you all. I rescinded today via email and mail (with tracking and signature). I think HKB is great, and I will look into the resale market for deals.