• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How/why/where did you decide to move if not job related?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
But the biggest weather reason: I can't argue with 7 inches of rain a year, compared to the 47 inches my area gets.
The weather was a big reason why we moved to Nevada from Washington state. After 25 years in the rain, we chose the desert and have not regretted it.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
@geekette. You mentioned giving up some conveniences. I certainly hope you will have access to TUG! Would seriously miss your contributions in this community.
Can’t wait to follow along on your adventures. Congratulations!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This will be where you can make realistic plans, if this is going to be an option for you. You may find the reality is something better or worse than what you picture in your head.

Perhaps you can arrange a trial run - stay there for a few weeks, and get your hands dirty. That may help you more fully understand the impact on your daily life. known end-date. Everybody loves camping - for awhile. Inconveniences are acceptable if there is a known end date. But camping forever can feel a bit like being homeless. And if you have insurmountable "princessy" needs, that may be a deal breaker.

Regardless, good luck with things. I'm glad you're at least exploring the option. Life adventures are awesome! :D

Dave

Excellent advice. Especially as one gets older, I just don't see it.

But I will say one thing- not everyone loves camping even for a little while! That would be me! I always hated it! LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So what's keeping you from following that dream? It sure sounds to me like you know what you want. Do you need permission to do it? Ok, I give you permission to pursue the happiness you're seeking.

What helped me to make this leap of life are two things my parents told me when I was growing up. Both sets of parents and step-parents are long gone, but I hear their voices in my head all the time.

One thing my Mom always told me was, "You can do anything you want to do, and you can be anything you want to be. The only thing holding you back are the restrictions you place on yourself." (She was a smart, storied, street-wise woman. I listened to her well.)

My father always said, "Too many people spend too much of their time talking about all the things they'd really LIKE to do, and not enough people actually do them." (He was also a very smart man, self-educated in many ways, but he did things his way till the day he died.)

Those two things are how I live my life to this day. Why NOT go? What are you waiting for? What's the absolute worst that could happen? It doesn't work out? Ok, so then you're in a position to do something else. What's the best that could happen? It could be better than you dreamed it would be. But if you DON'T do it, you'll always wonder about what it would have been like. Life is too short to live with regret.

Go for it. :D

Dave

And one thing my dad used to say is- "10 years from now if you don't do what you want to do, how old will you be?"

So after I answered he would then say- "So then 10 years from now if you DO do what you wanted to how old will you be?"

There you have it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think I have been in the process of leaving for at least a couple of years. things are nothing like they were when I moved in, my entire life is greatly changed.

I've been making my peace with a lot of stuff. Including, this place takes more $ than I want to have to work for. I don't want to put all of my time and money in a home any more. I need things to be easier, and cheaper.

Lucky me to have gone to that reunion last year. If I hadn't, I might not have stumbled onto this path that is so Me. Stacey was always cool, still is. We are much alike, but she is much more about healthy lifestyle. So, a good influence on me.

The pulls are strong, and kind of have been since I found out about camp. Then visited. And again. And now again.

This isn't my original city, so I'm ok with leaving it. I think there are a lot of great memories ahead of me. It feels like deciding to permanently hang up the career is the puzzle piece that needed to slide in. It came last week after talking with a recruiter. The job sounded great, right up my alley, but as it sunk in, I couldn't make myself want it. I don't want to touch my resume ever again. My LinkedIn is stuck back in 2014, where I will leave it....

I always ask a lot of questions as her vision is important in this. I am an outdoor girl, more comfortable in dirt and splinters than makeup and heels. I can wield power tools better than a mascara wand or curling iron. I've helped build a few things, tested the wood stove in the bathroom, did the experiments to determine best sit out for solar shower to get the right temp, etc (as I suspected, the party rock is the best water heater). It suits me. I like what she's doing, she liked that I enjoyed pitching in, while she actually did not want me "to work".

The summer after my freshmen college year, I spent the summer up at the Boundaries Waters. Several of us stayed at camp working for a canoe outfitter. It was a blast. Maybe since then I have been slowly working my way back to the woods.

I definitely am very low maintenance, princessy isn't really an issue, just a fun term I threw out there to show how low my bar actually is.... water and elec! Already there on elec, plus can always add more; water is a well drill away. Plush is not my style. I can make do on short solar showers. Primitive is not a problem for me at this point; the well is maybe coming this fall.

But it does matter whether she would be ok with my doing a kit cabin and other kit buildings. I could probably live indefinitely in yurt or colonial tent, but I will want my own walls, and those structures of hers will at some point be rented out, not residences. When I consider my own canvas and vinyl campus offerings, long term is not do-able. I am fine with living in wilderness but in case we ever get bears, I want walls between me and paws. I'd kind of like to build, over time, many cabins for rental. I am very much into building out a camp, being the farmer/cook, entertainment director, whatever. But, if she's got guidelines and limits in mind, well, let's discuss. My creativity needs to know where the guardrails are. If Anything is on the table, well, gees, try to stop me...

sunrise coffee bar
meditation/butterfly garden
party barn

eta the swimming hole!

I do not want to squelch your dreams, of course, but I have to honestly say your moving place does sound like a lot of work, time and money also. You know better than me, but that is the way I see it. I also see it as a lot of time spent on something that might not be sustainable in the long run as you get older. Then again, this kind of lifestyle does not appeal to me at all anyway. Even when I was younger I would not have liked it.

This all said- I do admire you- and other people - who attempt to live this way.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
@geekette. You mentioned giving up some conveniences. I certainly hope you will have access to TUG! Would seriously miss your contributions in this community.
Can’t wait to follow along on your adventures. Congratulations!
Thank you!

and, Good Point! My new car is a rolling hotspot and I get over 30 mpg so could periodically run the car to have internet ; ) there are a zillion signs around there for "cheap internet" and I know I can't just quit the internet, so, will figure it out. It seems to me that any campers would want free wifi, so will have to experiment on what works best. Would stomp out My Internet Service and Your Internet Service and just have Camp Internet Service.

I'm rolling Monday with a car full of plants, mostly veggies, but also stuff her land "needs" = butterfly bush cutting that is taking off, Sweet Williams that are hardier than expected, starts of roses, raspberries, and wild strawberries. She better like eggplant because those are taking off, I can barely contain them and don't want to haul a massive pot if I can avoid it.

Hugelkultur, here I come!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Thank you!

and, Good Point! My new car is a rolling hotspot and I get over 30 mpg so could periodically run the car to have internet ; ) there are a zillion signs around there for "cheap internet" and I know I can't just quit the internet, so, will figure it out. It seems to me that any campers would want free wifi, so will have to experiment on what works best. Would stomp out My Internet Service and Your Internet Service and just have Camp Internet Service.

I'm rolling Monday with a car full of plants, mostly veggies, but also stuff her land "needs" = butterfly bush cutting that is taking off, Sweet Williams that are hardier than expected, starts of roses, raspberries, and wild strawberries. She better like eggplant because those are taking off, I can barely contain them and don't want to haul a massive pot if I can avoid it.

Hugelkultur, here I come!

Best of luck! Routing for you! Have fun with it!

geekette

Reaction score
I do not want to squelch your dreams, of course, but I have to honestly say your moving place does sound like a lot of work, time and money also. You know better than me, but that is the way I see it. I also see it as a lot of time spent on something that might not be sustainable in the long run as you get older. Then again, this kind of lifestyle does not appeal to me at all anyway. Even when I was younger I would not have liked it.

This all said- I do admire you- and other people - who attempt to live this way.
Not stomping my dream, please do say what you see - I need objective outsiders, because, what am I missing?? Tug is a good place for this, no one is going to take personal shots at me, which I do expect from my family.

For me, the idea is to live darned near free, eat nearly free, and as I get the food going, work on creating other revenue streams. possibilities are endless, a major attraction for me.

I think the active lifestyle will preserve my youth, plus the fulfillment of growing stuff and eating what I grow. Plus, massive decrease in stress, more free time. I look forward to grow season every year, but I'm really only interested in growing veggies and flowers, I don't particularly care to mow, and chopping crap down is my least favorite. Here, all of that is my complete responsibility. there? none of it. Tend the gardens, the stuff I like.

With proceeds from home sale here, and savings otherwise, I can handle a year or two of little food production/sale. I will want to buy a greenhouse at some point, probably make it instead. I'll need a root cellar, someplace to hang herbs to dry, etc., but, build vs buy. I will need to fortify the soil every year, but, a load of dirt plus bales of hay are very cheap. She also has a massive compost effort going, the first one is now "closed", one year in. That is going to be super food for the plants. I am very good at growing from seed, so won't need to buy plants nor seeds, unless starting something new, or my saved seeds go bad somehow.

I grow, we eat, we sell, we donate. Hunger is a problem that won't be going away, so I'm hoping to make a dent in it down there. I look forward to being a vendor at a farmer's market but ideally, people come to us.

I'd like to help build stuff, but she is all over that. She has 2 guys that want to be camp assistants, so, hired labor can take care of a lot of it, and paying them isn't from my pocket. If I need my own assistant, I'll pay for it, but I don't see that happening. I can always get a job, too, tho I really don't want to. I'm 7 years from early claim on SS and can hopefully push that out to age 70, but, I'll take it when I need it. Annual dividends right now could float my decreased expenses (but not expenses here!), so, I'll be fine even if floods wipe out my first two seasons.

I won't have to pay a mortgage, property tax, home insurance, home repairs, no elec bill, no water bill... only car insurance, phone, internet, groceries, meds. She paid for controlled burn , the initial clearings , the well, the solar set up (I'll add panels because I will use elec more than her). If I want to, say, clear 3 acres to put up a manor house, that's my cost, but I don't see that happening. If I want running water in a cabin I put up, that's my cost.

I'm not sure how the AirBnB thing is going to go, but, if it takes off, I could see adding a structure every year, with bath house sooner vs later. One full bath right now is fine, but not once there are guests.

geekette

Reaction score
2025 TUGGER reunion at Camp Geekette!
Heck Yeah!

Actually, camp name is Sommerset (not sure how she spells it).

Also, don't have to put off to 2025 what can happen in 2021!

Rutherford County, NC, between Asheville and Charlotte.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is there a Costco in Mesquite?

A half hour away, in St. George, Utah. Really nice location. Gotta have a Costco. ;)

And there are four, maybe even five, in the Las Vegas metro area.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heck Yeah!

Good Luck with your new adventure. My people started in NC 400 years ago and came West. You're just completing the circle! Best Wishes for your success.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not stomping my dream, please do say what you see - I need objective outsiders, because, what am I missing?? Tug is a good place for this, no one is going to take personal shots at me, which I do expect from my family.

For me, the idea is to live darned near free, eat nearly free, and as I get the food going, work on creating other revenue streams. possibilities are endless, a major attraction for me.

I think the active lifestyle will preserve my youth, plus the fulfillment of growing stuff and eating what I grow. Plus, massive decrease in stress, more free time. I look forward to grow season every year, but I'm really only interested in growing veggies and flowers, I don't particularly care to mow, and chopping crap down is my least favorite. Here, all of that is my complete responsibility. there? none of it. Tend the gardens, the stuff I like.

With proceeds from home sale here, and savings otherwise, I can handle a year or two of little food production/sale. I will want to buy a greenhouse at some point, probably make it instead. I'll need a root cellar, someplace to hang herbs to dry, etc., but, build vs buy. I will need to fortify the soil every year, but, a load of dirt plus bales of hay are very cheap. She also has a massive compost effort going, the first one is now "closed", one year in. That is going to be super food for the plants. I am very good at growing from seed, so won't need to buy plants nor seeds, unless starting something new, or my saved seeds go bad somehow.

I grow, we eat, we sell, we donate. Hunger is a problem that won't be going away, so I'm hoping to make a dent in it down there. I look forward to being a vendor at a farmer's market but ideally, people come to us.

I'd like to help build stuff, but she is all over that. She has 2 guys that want to be camp assistants, so, hired labor can take care of a lot of it, and paying them isn't from my pocket. If I need my own assistant, I'll pay for it, but I don't see that happening. I can always get a job, too, tho I really don't want to. I'm 7 years from early claim on SS and can hopefully push that out to age 70, but, I'll take it when I need it. Annual dividends right now could float my decreased expenses (but not expenses here!), so, I'll be fine even if floods wipe out my first two seasons.

I won't have to pay a mortgage, property tax, home insurance, home repairs, no elec bill, no water bill... only car insurance, phone, internet, groceries, meds. She paid for controlled burn , the initial clearings , the well, the solar set up (I'll add panels because I will use elec more than her). If I want to, say, clear 3 acres to put up a manor house, that's my cost, but I don't see that happening. If I want running water in a cabin I put up, that's my cost.

I'm not sure how the AirBnB thing is going to go, but, if it takes off, I could see adding a structure every year, with bath house sooner vs later. One full bath right now is fine, but not once there are guests.

Well- for sure it is a very ambitious plan! But obviously a well thought out one. I can hear the excitement in your words so all I can say is it's now or never!

geekette

Reaction score
A half hour away, in St. George, Utah. Really nice location. Gotta have a Costco. ;)

And there are four, maybe even five, in the Las Vegas metro area.

Dave
Whew, a half hour away is reasonable. Agree, gotta have one!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Plus the drive between Mesquite and St. George through the Virgin River Gorge is one of the most scenic drives in the country.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
There are a zillion signs around there for "cheap internet" and I know I can't just quit the internet, so, will figure it out...
Cheap is in the eyes of the user. FWIW my Son connects using aSatellite Internet Service. It costs him around $70 per month...

George

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mesquite is on Interstate 15 about 80 miles north of Las Vegas, roughly an hour's drive...and it's only about 30 miles from St. George, Utah, a city we really like visiting. Zion National Park is only about 90 minutes away. Mesquite is far enough away to be its own quiet community, but close enough to Las Vegas for those crazy forays into the Big City for entertainment, fine dining, and the Las Vegas Airport.
Dave, I always stayed in Mesquite when attending the NASCAR races at the Las Vegas Speedway. Loved the town and you are right the drive from Mesquite to St George is spectacular...

George

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Whew, a half hour away is reasonable. Agree, gotta have one!

It's right off the freeway, and is closer than the distance seems. People from Mesquite regularly shop in St. George.

I've frequently spent more than a half hour just trying to drive across Seattle. :D

Dave

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DaveNW Congrats on an exciting move. I am of the belief that you are often presented with choices and yet something's out of place, then everything comes together to make the opportunity happen.

@Karen G Your story reminds me of my father who grew up in the Seattle area and relocated to California after WWII because he "could not bear the constant rain." Washington is exceptionally beautiful in the summer. I spent summers when I was a pre-teen in the San Juan and Gulf Island and have fond memories.

We love our home, neighbors and California weather. But as indicated previously, it is crazy expensive with property taxes. We are considering Nevada for tax reasons when we retire and may live up to 5 months of the year in California for a few months to escape to cooler weather. Thanks @WalnutBaron for the tip on Genoa, NV. Will check that out. We are also considering suburbs of Vegas.

DH and I still working, so won't be retiring anytime soon, unless the pandemic eliminates our jobs (hope not).

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Heck Yeah!

cool - I lived in Charlotte many years ago

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, I always stayed in Mesquite when attending the NASCAR races at the Las Vegas Speedway. Loved the town and you are right the drive from Mesquite to St George is spectacular...

George

Thanks, George. As you probably already know, it's one of those (kind of) undiscovered gems. If people don't have a reason to stop, they cruise right through town. But those who slow down long enough to see the place tend to like it. All the perks of Nevada living, and Las Vegas availability for conveniences and nightlife, without the crowds, crime, and traffic the larger city has. Point the car in the other direction, and all of Southern Utah's Red Rock County is a matter of hours away. Even the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only a few hours' drive from there.

Where we live now in Washington, it's a very similar situation, driving to Seattle. We're roughly an hour away, (when the traffic isn't snarled on the freeway), so we often go there for events and nice restaurants. When we're at home, it's a smaller town (only about 25,000 people here), so it feels kind of "hometown"-ish. I think Mesquite will have a similar feel, with a tad more "pioneer" spirit. :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, I REALLY think you're just stir-crazy and are doing all this just to get out of the house. Honestly, you DON'T NEED to go to the extreme of selling, moving, getting rid of all your accumulated detritus, just to go to yard sales after you move and buy somebody else's. :)

Jim

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
The weather was a big reason why we moved to Nevada from Washington state. After 25 years in the rain, we chose the desert and have not regretted it.
Indeed. Weather/climate counts for a lot for well-being and quality of life. As I mentioned upthread, it was a major factor for us moving from Colorado to California. Plenty of sun and no snow here in San Diego!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave, I REALLY think you're just stir-crazy and are doing all this just to get out of the house. Honestly, you DON'T NEED to go to the extreme of selling, moving, getting rid of all your accumulated detritus, just to go to yard sales after you move and buy somebody else's. :)

Jim

Yes. Yes, we do. LOL! :D

And for the record, I don't generally do garage sales. Just not a fan. I'd rather make my own used stuff, than use someone else's. I grew up in a garage sale world, because my Mother was always hunting for her next bargain. I didn't have "new" school clothes till I started buying my own, as a teenager. Before that, they were either garage sale finds, or hand-me-downs from my older brother.

First world problem, for sure. :D

Dave