• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im currently in the process of purchasing a resale for farely cheap money. Unit is week 27 4th of July week at Suites of Attitash in NH.

We live local and We mainly want to use it to exchange for orher places. Seller told me he is in RCI weeks program, not points. I asked how many points it was valued at and he said he deposited it back in July and received 21 points for it. I looked through RCI and i found that if it was in the points system, it would be worth 65,000 points. Is 21 weeks points good value? Average?

He told me it was tremendous trade value and has gone to HI and St Marten without a problem.

I am new to this so any help is appreciated

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
21 TPUs won't get you much. A studio, unless you wait until last minute exchange where you sometimes can find something good for small amount of TPUs.

It also depends on where you want to go to. 21 TPUs won't get you to Disney.

Last edited:

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
I have a Grandview in Las Vegas 122000 points Annually it gives us a three bedroom for a week in most locations I had another 61000 Grandview but just sold it..... with my one it covers the week and leaves me some to add on for future trips and weeks.... the 65000 points is not a lot but it gets you into the RCI program to use their other programs..... good luck...

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
21 isn't that bad and I would say system wide 18-20 tpu's is probably average. This is what is in RCI now. The brackets indicate the number of exchanges at each trading power level.
  • 1 - 10 [21258]
  • 11 - 14 [11738]
  • 15 - 18 [11926]
  • 19 - 23 [5881]
  • 24 - 32 [1521]
  • 33 + [145]
21 isn't going to get you a premium exchange during high season but will get you some nice exchanges. Exchanging through comes at a cost now of over $200 plus an annual Rci fee of $90. To determine if it is a good deal you also have to look at the MF for those points. Honestly it is hard to find good deals when you add in all the extra exchange costs if your cost is $15 per tpu (or higher). This would be below the average which is probably $25 per tpu.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suites at Attitash Mountain Village #7913 currently has 234 weeks of inventory available for exchange thru RCI (that's a lot); the required Trade Power Units (TPU) to exchange into this resort (for the weeks currently available) range from 3 - 20.

There are 250 weeks of inventory for rent thru RCI. The range is $269 - $700 for the weeks currently available.

What are the annual maintenance fees of your resort? Is it more than it costs to rent a week at this resort? If so, there is no reason to own.
Divide the maintenance fees by 21 to get the Maintenance Fee $/TPU ratio.

Each exchange in RCI will cost at least $230. Plus your annual membership will be around $100. That's $330 right there + your maintenance fees, you'll be over $1,000 pretty quick. The question then becomes, does the place you want to exchange into cost more than that to rent? If you can rent at or below your cost to exchange, there is no reason to exchange.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I would not pay to change to points...almost never a good idea. The 21 TPU's isn't bad. I've been able to exchange into some 2 BR's in New England or PA in the early or late summer months with 18/19 TPU's from a "dog" late October week at Cold Spring. If you were looking for 1 BR's, then you'd be fine for those types of exchanges. Cape Cod or a beach locale...probably not in the cards.

We were just at Suites of Attitash a couple of weekends ago. LOVED it. I looked at that week, too...but since I have a policy to use what I own most of the time, and since we already own that week at our home resort, I couldn't justify it. Good luck as you decide!

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
21 TPUs won't get you much. A studio, unless you wait until last minute exchange where you sometimes can find something good for small amount of TPUs.

It also depends on where you want to go to. 21 TPUs won't get you to Disney.

We like the Carribean alot. Do you mean wont get me into a Disney resort? Or Disney/Florida at all?

If i convert it to the 65,000 pts will it be worth it

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
21 isn't that bad and I would say system wide 18-20 tpu's is probably average. This is what is in RCI now. The brackets indicate the number of exchanges at each trading power level.
  • 1 - 10 [21258]
  • 11 - 14 [11738]
  • 15 - 18 [11926]
  • 19 - 23 [5881]
  • 24 - 32 [1521]
  • 33 + [145]
21 isn't going to get you a premium exchange during high season but will get you some nice exchanges. Exchanging through comes at a cost now of over $200 plus an annual Rci fee of $90. To determine if it is a good deal you also have to look at the MF for those points. Honestly it is hard to find good deals when you add in all the extra exchange costs if your cost is $15 per tpu (or higher). This would be below the average which is probably $25 per tpu.

The MF is only $477. One of the main reasons i like this one because it is cheap for 4th of July week.

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suites at Attitash Mountain Village #7913 currently has 234 weeks of inventory available for exchange thru RCI (that's a lot); the required Trade Power Units (TPU) to exchange into this resort (for the weeks currently available) range from 3 - 20.

There are 250 weeks of inventory for rent thru RCI. The range is $269 - $700 for the weeks currently available.

What are the annual maintenance fees of your resort? Is it more than it costs to rent a week at this resort? If so, there is no reason to own.
Divide the maintenance fees by 21 to get the Maintenance Fee $/TPU ratio.

Each exchange in RCI will cost at least $230. Plus your annual membership will be around $100. That's $330 right there + your maintenance fees, you'll be over $1,000 pretty quick. The question then becomes, does the place you want to exchange into cost more than that to rent? If you can rent at or below your cost to exchange, there is no reason to exchange.

The MF is $477 a year. Which i thought was pretty good.

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not pay to change to points...almost never a good idea. The 21 TPU's isn't bad. I've been able to exchange into some 2 BR's in New England or PA in the early or late summer months with 18/19 TPU's from a "dog" late October week at Cold Spring. If you were looking for 1 BR's, then you'd be fine for those types of exchanges. Cape Cod or a beach locale...probably not in the cards.

We were just at Suites of Attitash a couple of weekends ago. LOVED it. I looked at that week, too...but since I have a policy to use what I own most of the time, and since we already own that week at our home resort, I couldn't justify it. Good luck as you decide!

Glad you liked it. We live local and go up there often for skiiing but havent had a chance to stay there yet.

We mainly want to be able to exchange it for anywhere innthe Carribean, or Orlando. Obviously not a Disney resort but around theee

Is 21 enough to get to those places. I tried to as RCI and they told me i couldnt see values without being a member

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score

Glad you liked it. We live local and go up there often for skiiing but havent had a chance to stay there yet.

We mainly want to be able to exchange it for anywhere innthe Carribean, or Orlando. Obviously not a Disney resort but ariu

Is 21 enough to get to those places. I tried to as RCI and they told me i couldnt see values without being a member
  • 1 - 10 [21258]
  • 11 - 14 [11738]
  • 15 - 18 [11926]
  • 19 - 23 [5881]
  • 24 - 32 [1521]
  • 33 + [145]

My MF is 477. Which puts me at $22 per TPU. We are flexible with our travel time so traveling at a lower peak time to get more value would not be an issue. Thank you for posting the bracket it is helpful. I called RCI to see what it could get me and the said they couldnt tell me because i wasnt a member yet. Doea RCI post the trade value anywhere online per resort?

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. Does RCI sell additional TPU if i dont have enough to cover a certain exchange?

Also if anyway has some free time would like to check and see what some places could get me would be great. Aruba, anywhere in the Carribean mainly. Orlando.

We have flexible schedules so we would travel at the lower peak times.

Purchasing within the next few days and nervous whether it is worth it or not :)

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, i was told TPU can change depending on when you deposit it with RCI. Is this true?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me try to answer a few of your questions above. RCI will not sell you more TPUs. RCI is an exchange company. Yes, TPU can change depending on when you deposit with RCI, often the closer / less time remaining on the date of the week, the lower the TPU.

If you are not fussy about when or where you go in Orlando, 21 TPUs can get you some good exchanges. You did not mention how large a unit you need, when you can travel, and the standard of the resort, and whether you can travel at the last minute. I don't believe you can just convert to RCI points like that. It used be a simple conversion - you have a choice of whether you want to be in the RCI Weeks or RCI points system and it cost like $99 to go from RCI Weeks system to RCI points system. I don't believe it works that way anymore.

If you are buying to mainly exchange, RCI is probably the most expensive exchange system. High annual fees and high exchange fees. There are alternative exchange systems. The other large one II, is slightly cheaper than RCI but the resort has to be affliated with II to be able to use II. There are many 3rd party exchange companies that are less expensive - SFX, Trading Places but I have not used any of them and cannot comment on them.

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Time of year is very flexible for us. As far as last minute travel, probably not. And a 1br would be enough for myself, wife and two children. Assuming it has some type of pull out sofa or Murphy beds.

The low MF is what drew me to this resort. Only 477 a year.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Jeff ,
I will assume the TS is an annual use with $477 MF ( not EOY - every other year for 2 x $ 477 )
If it gets 21 TPU this works out to $ 22.71 per TPU

IMO - this is decent ( useable value)
There are TUG members who have TPU cost well below $20 . They spent a lot of time finding these deals
What I own cost me approx $ 30 per TPU when I exchange through RCI

Your catch - is that to get anything on RCI exchange that is above 21 TPU you will have to combine 2 years deposits -and RCI charges a fee .

A lot of the Carribbean ( Jamaica , Dominican ) is AI ( All Inclusive ) and the AI fees generally run well over $100 per person per day . You have to drink a lot of rum to make that cost effective.

There are quality non AI beach resorts in Mexico ( and also lots of AI ) that 21 TPU will regularly get you there . However you will probably do best booking more than a year ahead for mid Jan - April .

If your travel goals are spring and fall ( ie shoulder seasons) 21 TPU gets you more options . ( for everywhere ) It will get you to Orlando but probably not a Disney owned TS .

One other thing - If you get a shoulder season exchange
say 16 TPU and pay the RCI exchange fee = approx . $ 600 total cost .
you then have 5 left over . If you combine with next years deposit ( pay fee )
you now have 26 TPU ( good for 2 years i believe )

Last edited:

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jeff ,
I will assume the TS is an annual use with $477 MF ( not EOY - every other year for 2 x $ 477 )
If it gets 21 TPU this works out to $ 22.71 per TPU

IMO - this is decent ( useable value)
There are TUG members who have TPU cost well below $20 . They spent a lot of time finding these deals
What I own cost me approx $ 30 per TPU when I exchange through RCI

Your catch - is that to get anything on RCI exchange that is above 21 TPU you will have to combine 2 years deposits -and RCI charges a fee .

A lot of the Carribbean ( Jamaica , Dominican ) is AI ( All Inclusive ) and the AI fees generally run well over $100 per person per day . You have to drink a lot of rum to make that cost effective.

There are quality non AI beach resorts in Mexico ( and also lots of AI ) that 21 TPU will regularly get you there . However you will probably do best booking more than a year ahead for mid Jan - April .

If your travel goals are spring and fall ( ie shoulder seasons) 21 TPU gets you more options . ( for everywhere ) It will get you to Orlando but probably not a Disney owned TS .

Thank you for the reply. It is annual and no We do not mind traveling during shoulder season. Are schedules are flexible. Also, AI is not a must. I expect a Disney resort would be almost impossible and that is ok. As long as I know we can get down there.

Your reply has been most helpful

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi again Jeff,
When I read your initial post you did not list the resort or possible home resort use .

IMO - 4th of July week - and a resort you can drive to, for that price MF - GO FOR IT .

If you use 5 days and blow off 2 you are still under $ 100 per night .
If you use 3 or 4 days and gift the others to family or friend - you had a nice break
and made someone else happy too.

I see you are now a TUG member

Keep reading and you will figure out how to exchange and get good value

Jmarine311

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. It is the Suites at Attitash Mtn in NH. It is only about a two hour drive north from us. I would prefer to have a week during the winter months as we do ski and snowboard often. But I figured can't pass up on 4th of July week, must have good value I assume. I do have a question, you mention using only a couple nights and gifting it to someone else. I know the RCI week system is you get charged the whole week wether you use it or not. Does RCI or any resort allow a new occupant to come in during your week booked?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Since you are buying fixed week 27 - it is yours to use . ( the resort may have some info needs - but is your fixed week )

If you deposit YOUR week into RCI and then exchange then it goes to RCI rules .

TPU's are full week exchanges- and if someone else uses ( who is not listed on your RCI acct )you need to get (and pay for )
a guest reservation certificate etc .

You may want to check - once you own - how many TPU's you get if Jan 2017 you pay the 2018 MF ( MF are often due in Jan )
and then deposit into RCI right away . You may get more TPU since RCI has a longer window of control before July 4 / week 27 -2018 and this
benefits RCI .

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, RCI exchange rule prohibits renting out an exchange. You may purchase a guest certificate for friends and family to use, but RCI prohibits rental of the exchanged week.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi Jeff, our first timeshare was a week 27 in Vermont. We used to go just to that resort, when we lived in New England. We moved to Florida and started exchanging our week. We had some very good trades and the maintenance fee was low. We had a right to use lease, so when it expired we did not renew. In the meantime we found TUG and acquired some other timeshares and have been very happy with exchanges and ownership in various timeshares. We have exchanged with RCI, II, Dial an Exchange, VRI, Trading Places, and thru TUG Marketplace. As far as RCI exchanges, I try to watch for sales where they slash trade power sometimes down to 5 TPU. Have you exchanged to the Disney area yet? We will be at the TUG meeting on January 18 in Orlando, looking forward to meeting you.
Silentg

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears weeks 27 (for at least the next few years) is the week after July 4th. I quick look at RCI deposit calendar and depending on the size of your unit the TPUs quoted to you looks about right.

We stay at this place typically once per year in the summer. I do like it there in the summer.

Personally, I would continue the search if I was looking for something to use just as a trader. There would be better opportunities out there.

You also mention you are buying it for "fairly cheap money". If that means $1.00 and maybe a resort transfer fee or title work, then ok.....If you are talking a few $1,000....then definitely walk away.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I read that you prefer a winter/ski week at the resort. If so, you should hold out for a winter week so that in some years you do not need to trade. Trading is costly and easily doubles the cost of ownership.