• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Maui

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes, photos can be deceiving. We wouldn't make such a large purchase sight unseen.

As an owner of a second home/short term vacation rental, I completely agree with your observations of the challenges. One way around the AirBnB limits is to rent the unit for more than 31 days to snow-birders which circumvents most short-term vacation rental laws and avoids TOT taxes.

Eventually one could turn it into a multi-month second home when retired. However, I still like the resort feel, and housekeeping of the timeshares and not having to worry about maintenance and cleaning (which is a pain) so using our timeshares would be preferred because less hassle and less costly.

I thought that you had to pay the TOT if you rented for less than 6 months?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought that you had to pay the TOT if you rented for less than 6 months?

There are so many taxes in Hawaii that I may have the wrong one named. If I understand it correctly if you have any kind of business transaction, which includes renting an accomocation you own, you need to pay the GET which is about 4-4.5%. If you rent for less than 6 months, you need to pay a hotel tax which is about 10%.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read that tentative opening date for HGV Maui is Q1 2022

Yep, that's the date still showing on the HGVC club page.

I just found out that a former consulting client of mine is now the Research Coordinator at the Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary in Kihei. So I dropped him an email to ask his opinion of the HGVC construction across the street from him. His response:

"It does seem like they are making progress on it. They shut the main road down recently for several weeks as part of the construction. We're all working from home these days, so I have not seen the recent progress, but I'll let you know what I see the next time I go down there. 2022 seems like a reasonable target finishing date."

Bob

rabmsn

Reaction score
Form 8-K Hilton Grand Vacations For: Jul 30

From the "overview" section:
Net income and Adjusted EBITDA for the quarter ended June 30, 2020, included a net deferral of $3 million relating to sales made at The Central at 5th by Hilton Club, Ocean Tower at Hilton Grand Vacations Club Phase II and Maui Bay Villas projects, which were under construction during the period. The Company anticipates recognizing these revenues and related expenses in 2021 when it expects to complete these projects and recognize the net deferral impacts.

travelove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David Walley's Resort
You are right, I did not want to belief it at first:
Per the link on the members website: Prices range from $30,900 - $499,990

$500k for one week Maui? PLUS an ever increasing annual MF???
I did not know that COVID can also attack the area of the brain that deals with financial sanity...
now I'm scared of COVID :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
now I'm scared of COVID :)

How many points do you get for the 500K. If you get about 115,000 HGVC points you could stay forever at the Lagoon Tower in a Studio. That is not a bad price for a small condo on the Ocean in Waikiki and even if the maintenance was $5000/year that would not be a high maintenance for a condo in that location!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
How many points do you get for the 500K. If you get about 115,000 HGVC points you could stay forever at the Lagoon Tower in a Studio. That is not a bad price for a small condo on the Ocean in Waikiki and even if the maintenance was $5000/year that would not be a high maintenance for a condo in that location!

$0.04 a point!

Yeah, I don’t see that happening. Something like 30,000 - 35,000 points? There are some regular HGVC that have 28,000 points so a high priced week should be higher.

I just can’t comprehend spending that much on a week.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$0.04 a point!

Yeah, I don’t see that happening. Something like 30,000 - 35,000 points? There are some regular HGVC that have 28,000 points so a high priced week should be higher.

I just can’t comprehend spending that much on a week.

Well I asked about 115,000 point number of points since that would be the number needed for 52 weeks in a Studio in the Lagoon Tower. However, the Grand Waikiki Penthouse 3BR Platinum weeks do have 28,000 points and I believe their cost a few years ago was $135,000. I know that HGVC raises the price of weeks all the time without regard to what is going in the world so even though people are not traveling right now they could have raised the Grand Waikiki Penthouse price to much higher. But based on what they were selling the 28,000 points for it wouldn't be unreasonable to get around 100,000 points for 500K.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Well I asked about 115,000 point number of points since that would be the number needed for 52 weeks in a Studio in the Lagoon Tower. However, the Grand Waikiki Penthouse 3BR Platinum weeks do have 28,000 points and I believe their cost a few years ago was $135,000. I know that HGVC raises the price of weeks all the time without regard to what is going in the world so even though people are not traveling right now they could have raised the Grand Waikiki Penthouse price to much higher. But based on what they were selling the 28,000 points for it wouldn't be unreasonable to get around 100,000 points for 500K.

You are considering a multiple week purchase to get to over 100k points, the prices quoted for Maui are a single week so not likely to garner that many points. You do have an interesting proposition buying 4 GW PH weeks then staying in a studio.

I just looked at the web site and the pricing has changed, its even higher but it applies to all the properties so no way to know what Maui pricing will be yet. The high end could be 4br Crane in Barbados.

Prices range from $8,450 - $772,990; prices are subject to change. Hilton Grand Vacations Club, LLC is the exchange agent. The Sales Agent is Hilton Resorts Corporation (dba Hilton Grand Vacations) located at 6355 Metrowest Blvd. Orlando, FL 32835. Hilton Resorts Corporation and its wholly owned subsidiaries are also the developer of timeshare interests in Florida, Nevada, Illinois, Hawaii, New York, Barbados, Mexico and Japan.

The Developer/Seller of Maui Bay Villas Vacation Suites is Kupono Partners LLC located at 6355 MetroWest Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32835.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are considering a multiple week purchase to get to over 100k points, the prices quoted for Maui are a single week so not likely to garner that many points. You do have an interesting proposition buying 4 GW PH weeks then staying in a studio.

I just looked at the web site and the pricing has changed, its even higher but it applies to all the properties so no way to know what Maui pricing will be yet. The high end could be 4br Crane in Barbados.

Prices range from $8,450 - $772,990; prices are subject to change. Hilton Grand Vacations Club, LLC is the exchange agent. The Sales Agent is Hilton Resorts Corporation (dba Hilton Grand Vacations) located at 6355 Metrowest Blvd. Orlando, FL 32835. Hilton Resorts Corporation and its wholly owned subsidiaries are also the developer of timeshare interests in Florida, Nevada, Illinois, Hawaii, New York, Barbados, Mexico and Japan.

The Developer/Seller of Maui Bay Villas Vacation Suites is Kupono Partners LLC located at 6355 MetroWest Boulevard, Orlando, FL 32835.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am NOT considering purchasing 4 GW PH weeks or any other HGVC purchase at this time. We have 34,600 points which have sucessfully gotten us a Studio at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for the winter since 2009. However, we now own a 2 BR condo right across the street fromt the Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Studio in the Lagoon Tower is a sub size Studio and is very small without a Lanai. We endured that accomodation for years to enable us to stay that long but have outgrown that accommodation. At 70+ years old we feel we need to have a little more comfortable accommodations WHEN? we go again to Hawaii. The question mark is for emphasis on WHEN. We still have plane reservations for Novamber but most probably our plans will be put off until sometime in 2021.

rabmsn

Reaction score
Progress must be happening--Chief Engineer - Maui Bay Villas in Kihei HI job posting:

Job Description What will I be doing? As a Chief Engineer , you would be responsible for executing your positions responsibilities in alignment with our Spirit of Service culture and driving company success through performing the following tasks to the highest standards The Chief Engineer sets strategic goals, guides performance, and leads all aspects of the resort maintenance, landscaping related operations. Overall responsibility to ensure the full functionality and safety of all resort facilities, protect the well-being of guests, Owners and Team Members while optimizing asset maintenance and preservation. Develops and executes critical initiatives in the Maintenance Department and adjusts the operations in order to meet the needs of the resort. Able to train, empower and build a team that is successful in maintaining the asset and grows as the resort expands Develops clear goals and ensures that policies and guidance are in place that clearly defines the responsibilities and processes to be successful Maintains compliance with the organization, business and financial regulations Conducts consistent inspections of each aspect of the resort and ensures all equipment and resort features are properly maintained and operating at full capacity Understands and able to trouble shoot operational performance of mechanical and related systems throughout the resort Manages and supervises all preventative maintenance programs and standards related to the Synergy work request system. Liaison between onsite team and project management and development teams for renovations and build out of the resort phases Ensures the property Emergency Preparedness and Safety Awareness plans are always accurate and in compliance Develops and manages the financial operations of the department and meets all budgeted expectations Monitors and evaluates team member performance to include, but not limited to, providing supervision and professional development, conducting counseling and evaluations and delivering recognition and reward Works closely with Resort Leadership within all departments and is a great teammate We offer an excellent benefit package to our full-time Team Members that include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K plan, Paid Time Off (PTO) program and extraordinary travel benefits Qualifications What are we looking for? 7 years related experience in property operations 3 years of management experience including supervision of professional and line level staff Excellent interpersonal skills, computer literacy, problem solving and strategic decision making High school diploma/GED It would be advantageous in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions Experience working on the island of Maui and/or a hotel/resort in the state of Hawaii Resort pre-opening experience Vacation ownership/hospitality experience Trade Certifications Bachelors degree We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
We drove by the property yesterday. Appears one building is largely built, and another well underway. But they are starting with the area furthest up the hill and away from the beach. It certainly does not appear anywhere near ready for any visitors, but was actively being worked on.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the Hilton.com amenities list does not show the swimming pool or beach. Perhaps they will open for stays but won't open amenities until later. @csodjd can you ask whether the pool/beach will be available at the same time the resort opens?

Islander7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Bay Club
BHC W 57th
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Marriott Grand Chateau
Interesting that they say they are opening this September as opposed to the HGVC website which states Q1 2022.

"We're opening in September 2021, but aren't accepting reservations yet." from Hilton website.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Interesting that they say they are opening this September as opposed to the HGVC website which states Q1 2022.

"We're opening in September 2021, but aren't accepting reservations yet." from Hilton website.

I think that message is dated, and has not been updated since Covid hit. That was the pre-covid date.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Thanks for sharing. Interesting that the Hilton.com amenities list does not show the swimming pool or beach. Perhaps they will open for stays but won't open amenities until later. @csodjd can you ask whether the pool/beach will be available at the same time the resort opens?
Showed up and they didn’t find our appointment. So we left without talking to anyone.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Showed up and they didn’t find our appointment. So we left without talking to anyone.
is your presentation at Hilton Hawaiian Village? If so, are any of your HGVC units bought direct? Or are they all resale? Going on a hunch here.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
is your presentation at Hilton Hawaiian Village? If so, are any of your HGVC units bought direct? Or are they all resale? Going on a hunch here.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Yes. All three are resale purchases.

Here‘s how this came about. My wife called HHV to ask if any of the bars or restaurants onsite had opened. The woman asked a few questions, she answered the questions about what’s open, then said she sees we are owners and have not been to an owners presentation in a long time and would like to schedule us. My wife put me on the phone since I knew our schedule here. She was very insistent. We agreed on this morning at 8:15. Alas, no record of us being scheduled.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
At HHV they have denied me every time to do a presentation after one over a decade ago. I was told since I only own resale, we do not qualify. My guess is that the scheduler did not notice you only own resale. Therefore they were not supposed to schedule you. Someone else found out and took you off the presentation without notifying you.

Years ago we got into a presentation and was told that we did not qualify. Stayed the 60 minutes and got our $250 Hilton bucks. Next time we were asked again and scheduled. Got a call the next day saying it was a mistake and we do not qualify for the presentation. Every time at HHV when we are asked, when they put our name in their computer, I am told I do not qualify. This is only at HHV as we were able to do presentations in Orlando. This is just my experience and resale only buyers are not welcome for a presentation at HHV.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We've had one of the best meetings at HHV and one of the worst. In the latter the rep saw that we attended multiple VIP presentations and scolded us that we are only supposed to have one of these and that we would never be allowed to attend a presentation again. (Like we should know the rules?!?) Despite this we attended many VIP presentations since, enjoying the gifts and discounted stays. We own one developer unit in addition to resale so that must get us over the hurdle. Will take the freebees as long as they will give them to us. I view the gifts as payback for overpaying for developer.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
At HHV they have denied me every time to do a presentation after one over a decade ago. I was told since I only own resale, we do not qualify. My guess is that the scheduler did not notice you only own resale. Therefore they were not supposed to schedule you. Someone else found out and took you off the presentation without notifying you.

Years ago we got into a presentation and was told that we did not qualify. Stayed the 60 minutes and got our $250 Hilton bucks. Next time we were asked again and scheduled. Got a call the next day saying it was a mistake and we do not qualify for the presentation. Every time at HHV when we are asked, when they put our name in their computer, I am told I do not qualify. This is only at HHV as we were able to do presentations in Orlando. This is just my experience and resale only buyers are not welcome for a presentation at HHV.
Could be what happened. However, there are also no resale units in Maui and that’s what she said they would be telling us about. That said, if I were them I too wouldn’t be too excited about “selling” to someone that they know is going to use the information to buy from someone else.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Could be what happened. However, there are also no resale units in Maui and that’s what she said they would be telling us about. That said, if I were them I too wouldn’t be too excited about “selling” to someone that they know is going to use the information to buy from someone else.

You're right of course that there aren't any resale units yet in Maui, since the original developer sales have only just started. But there will eventually be resales, just as with every other completed HGVC resort. It's just a matter of patience, if you can stand to wait. I suspect the presentation mix-up was just a scheduling mistake, but who knows?