• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Maui

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That is the same kitchen design that they use at Kings' Land. It looks like there is not a lot of counter space, but I found it was more than adequate. Removing the kitchen sit up bar, opens up the room. Allows more space in a smaller footprint.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
That is the same kitchen design that they use at Kings' Land. It looks like there is not a lot of counter space, but I found it was more than adequate. Removing the kitchen sit up bar, opens up the room. Allows more space in a smaller footprint.
However, I stayed at Kings Land earlier this year, and the rooms are large. The kitchen in my room was large, and it DID have a "bar" area, which we used extensively. And, dollar for dollar, Kings Land is a fraction the price.

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
You are right, I did not want to belief it at first:
Per the link on the members website: Prices range from $30,900 - $499,990

$500k for one week Maui? PLUS an ever increasing annual MF???
I did not know that COVID can also attack the area of the brain that deals with financial sanity...
When you consider that a low season bottom tier studio is $30,900, I can easily see how the multi-bedroom options can easily get to $500,000 for the area. And before COVID, I can actually see people paying that much. While Kihei is not as high end as Wailea a few miles down the road, you are only a couple of miles from a location where base hotel rooms can easily run $800+ a night(Andaz, Grand Wailea, and Fairmount with Four Seasons even higher). Add in that HGVC is in a higher tier than the other timeshares in the area, and I could actually see arguments that they could charge more just due to the relative lack of available higher end timeshares in the area

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMHO...I would spend $25k - $30k (or half that for EOY) for resale 2bdrm Westin or Marriott Oceanfront in Kaanapali. MF $2800 per week or
$1400 per week for 2 weeks OF if you lockoff into a 1 bdrm and studio for each week.

If I want to rent to cover MF I can easily lock off the Westin or Marriott and rent half the unit. No way to do this with HGVC Maui which would be a full home week rental of 2 bdrm.

I would invest the rest of the $100 - $500k in GNMA fund or CD paying 2%+

20 years from now: Potential loss minimal $25k - $30k resale. CD capital preserved with annual 2% interest which pays for MF. Compare that to potential loss of HGVC Maui to heavily depreciated resale price.

I will be happy to use club points for HGVC Maui to augment stays at our Westin unit. :cool:

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
IMHO...I would spend $25k - $30k (or half that for EOY) for resale 2bdrm Westin or Marriott Oceanfront in Kaanapali. MF $2800 per week or
$1400 per week for 2 weeks OF if you lockoff into a 1 bdrm and studio for each week.

If I want to rent to cover MF I can easily lock off the Westin or Marriott and rent half the unit. No way to do this with HGVC Maui which would be a full home week rental of 2 bdrm.

I would invest the rest of the $100 - $500k in GNMA fund or CD paying 2%+

20 years from now: Potential loss minimal $25k - $30k resale. CD capital preserved with annual 2% interest which pays for MF. Compare that to potential loss of HGVC Maui to heavily depreciated resale price.

I will be happy to use club points for HGVC Maui to augment stays at our Westin unit. :cool:

+1

imho, the suggested retail prices for the Hilton Maui property are in Fantasyland for a high-end, but poorly located timeshare. It's not like Hilton has a magic wand or a unique location; there are many other better properties on Maui at far lower prices, timeshare and otherwise.

However, HGVC has successfully built more and more expensive timeshares on its existing properties in Honolulu and Waikoloa. Does anyone know whether the $100K+ units in these properties have sold? And to whom?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
+1

imho, the suggested retail prices for the Hilton Maui property are in Fantasyland for a high-end, but poorly located timeshare. It's not like Hilton has a magic wand or a unique location; there are many other better properties on Maui at far lower prices, timeshare and otherwise.

However, HGVC has successfully built more and more expensive timeshares on its existing properties in Honolulu and Waikoloa. Does anyone know whether the $100K+ units in these properties have sold? And to whom?

I do know that during their quarterly investor calls over the past year or so HGV reported that both Grand Islander in Honolulu and Ocean Tower in Waikoloa sold much faster than expected. In particular the higher priced inventory sold so fast that they reported a shortage of high priced units.

Not sure who purchased these, and how current economy will impact sales in Maui, but certainly the timeshare market will not be as strong in the near future.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I believe they are targeting Asian buyers. Perhaps such countries don't have robust resources like TUG in their language and don't trust resale?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I believe they are targeting Asian buyers. Perhaps such countries don't have robust resources like TUG in their language and don't trust resale?

This was my thought, too. I wondered if these half a million weeks aren’t during one of the holidays that are sometimes mentioned here.

tha

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does HGVC own the land between S. Kihei Rd and the ocean? Their promotional material suggests they do. From driving by I've never had that impression.

"Ocean Front Beach Club":

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Does HGVC own the land between S. Kihei Rd and the ocean? Their promotional material suggests they do. From driving by I've never had that impression.

"Ocean Front Beach Club":

It sounds like Hilton might own the land, or at least have a leasehold on it, as they are doing some clean up and development on that side of the road.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
When you consider that a low season bottom tier studio is $30,900, I can easily see how the multi-bedroom options can easily get to $500,000 for the area. And before COVID, I can actually see people paying that much. While Kihei is not as high end as Wailea a few miles down the road, you are only a couple of miles from a location where base hotel rooms can easily run $800+ a night(Andaz, Grand Wailea, and Fairmount with Four Seasons even higher). Add in that HGVC is in a higher tier than the other timeshares in the area, and I could actually see arguments that they could charge more just due to the relative lack of available higher end timeshares in the area

It will be interesting to see how these units sell. Pre and Post COVID could definitely make quite a difference at least in the short run.

From my perspective Maui is nice but you need a car to enjoy the area which is a major negative for us now since we love the freedom of vacationing without a car, and will become more of a negative as we get older and not want to drive at all. That is why we love Honolulu. I wonder if they will have a free shuttle service to get from the airport and go food shopping. Maui is also somewhat "sterile" which may be an attractive quality for some people but not for us. We enjoy taking the bus, walking around people in Waikiki, Kakaako or Downtown Honolulu. After the COVID virus that may change, but perhaps our entire thoughts about Travel and Hawaii may change also.

From a different perspecitve Maui has a magical ring to it for certain people. I remember when I was younger hearing people raving about going to Maui with excitement in their voice. I actually didn't realize that Maui was a Hawaiian Island. While I knew that Hawaii was a state in the United States, I thought that Maui was a magical paradise someplace in the world that was so extra special. That specialness may enable them to charge and get the extra bucks. It won't be from me for developer pricing or resale pricing.

jcjohns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton
The new HGV on Maui in Kihei (Maui Bay Villas) is either taking or about to start taking deposits from certain people. I had expressed an interest when it was first announced so I've been kept up to date and have received the offer. Initially only 1 and 2 BR, resort view and partial ocean view rooms are available. I was asked not to post prices so I won't. Suffice to say that they are developer prices, with various offers associated! (For instance, if you bought something on the resale market they'll credit you that amount and take that back and apply it to this purchase, which is helpful to be sure own in, say, Hawaii already.) The premier ocean view and 3-BR rooms will not be available for a while, time frame unknown. I am told these are being aggressively priced for the initial presale. That comes from a sales person, of course. Point values range from 9300 to 14400.

I note in the renderings that the kitchen lacks any "bar" or barrier between the kitchen and the dinning table. That's a big negative for me in design, as there is very little counter space. Of course, it is also not AT the ocean (like, for instance, Marriott Maui Ocean Club), it is across the street. And it is not in either Wailea or Kaanapali, it's basically in a residential area of Kehei close to the ocean. It seems you'd have to drive to any restaurants, golf, shopping, etc. The satellite view doesn't show a lot of beach and I'm not sure what the beach situation is.
The property is near the whale institute in North Kehei. I own 2 weeks at hgvc and as much as I love Maui, I would not stay in that area. Probably the windiest section of beach on the west side. I love Kehei, but South Kehei near Wailea. I was hoping they would build in Kaanapali or convert something in South Kehei but when a salesman told me where it was I just shook my head. I'll stick with Waikoloa.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do know that during their quarterly investor calls over the past year or so HGV reported that both Grand Islander in Honolulu and Ocean Tower in Waikoloa sold much faster than expected. In particular the higher priced inventory sold so fast that they reported a shortage of high priced units.

If you have ever been to the HHV you will understand that there is a large number of Japanese tourist who go to to Hawaii. Very nice people but strange to sit thru the historical movie with them at Pearl Harbor documenting them bombing it. I doubt the prices seem as high to them.

The sad part is that the Kaanapali Beach club was originally an Embassy Suites timeshare or ES proper - and therefore under Hilton control. No idea how they let that one go. We booked thru exchange and loved the location. We could watch the whales jumping and sunsets over Molokai and Lanai were spectacular. We even had a view of Lanai from the lanai :cool:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are right, I did not want to belief it at first:
Per the link on the members website: Prices range from $30,900 - $499,990

$500k for one week Maui? PLUS an ever increasing annual MF???
I did not know that COVID can also attack the area of the brain that deals with financial sanity...
I’ll wait for resale and buy at 399,990. ;)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You could probably buy a small condo on Maui for that price and use/rent it year round.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
But then you wouldn't get fresh linen service twice a week.
You could probably find a service that would do that for you, clean linen and even change your sheets for your, for a price. ;)

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise
You could probably buy a small condo on Maui for that price and use/rent it year round.

It would probably be very very small condo at that price for Maui and the association fees are usually easily $500 plus dollars or more a month.
Property management is tricky in Hawaii now too with all of the new restrictive laws limiting vacation rentals.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Small yes but no/low capital loss...also not a resort just apartments. Just performed a Realtor.com search and saw a bunch in the $300k - $500k range. Most in the 1 bdrm but some 2 bdrms. 500/mo MF would be easily offset by 1 week a month rental.

Alternatively, trade using club points...no incremental cost or capital risk. :)

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Small yes but no/low capital loss...also not a resort just apartments. Just performed a Realtor.com search and saw a bunch in the $300k - $500k range. Most in the 1 bdrm but some 2 bdrms. 500/mo MF would be easily offset by 1 week a month rental.

Alternatively, trade using club points...no incremental cost there. :)
On our last trip to Maui (March 2020) I was talking to a couple who were on the same whale watch tour we were. They are Canadian and said they come every year for a few months. They bought a condo in Kihei a few years back, when the Canadian dollar was stronger. They didn't mention if they rent it out during the time they're not there. But they seemed quite happy with their purchase.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Alternatively, trade using club points...no incremental cost or capital risk. :)
I bumped the number up to $750k and found a really nice place. 3BR ocean front. But, it's a leasehold. So not nearly enough information to know much of anything. Big difference between 50 years and 10 years.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I see some good real estate deals on Maui in the near future.

HGVC Lover

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and HGVC Paradise

Having lived in Hawaii for many year and also owning a home I would advise you to go look at property first. Pictures are very deceiving, most condos were built decades ago, you have the leasehold issues and association fees can be very pricey for very limited amenities.

Hawaii real estate is very expensive compared to what you can get on the mainland. Also, property taxes are very high for owners who do not live on island full time and have their property managed. In Hawaii, you cannot property manage property yourself, but have to hire a local company to do that. Just more costs for your investment which many times does not pencil out to a profit or paying for the property fully. Also, if you own often times you are only able to use it two weeks a year under certain tax codes.

I am sure that the majority of condo owners who rent to tourists are really hurting now because there are no tourist and it could be a long time before the islands are actually opened up again where visitors do not have to quarantine for 14 days in their dwellings (not outside at a pool or beach). Also, if locals see the few tourists who are here breaking quarantine they are almost always reported, fined and often times taken to the airport and put on a plane home.

Makes no sense to have such a stringent lock down policy island wide and then allow people to come from all over not knowing it they have COVID-19 or not especially from other states.

But I always love to see people buy in Hawaii because the life style is spectacular, usually it is very hard to lose money on Hawaii real estate if you can afford it and it makes real estate prices go up which is awesome for us.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Having lived in Hawaii for many year and also owning a home I would advise you to go look at property first. Pictures are very deceiving, most condos were built decades ago, you have the leasehold issues and association fees can be very pricey for very limited amenities.

Hawaii real estate is very expensive compared to what you can get on the mainland. Also, property taxes are very high for owners who do not live on island full time and have their property managed. In Hawaii, you cannot property manage property yourself, but have to hire a local company to do that. Just more costs for your investment which many times does not pencil out to a profit or paying for the property fully. Also, if you own often times you are only able to use it two weeks a year under certain tax codes.

I am sure that the majority of condo owners who rent to tourists are really hurting now because there are no tourist and it could be a long time before the islands are actually opened up again where visitors do not have to quarantine for 14 days.

Makes no sense to have such a stringent lock down policy island wide and then allow people to come from all over not knowing it they have COVID-19 or not especially from other states. But I always love to see people buy in Hawaii because the life style is spectacular, usually it is very hard to lose money on Hawaii real estate if you can afford it and it make real estate prices go up which is awesome for us.

Yes, photos can be deceiving. We wouldn't make such a large purchase sight unseen.

As an owner of a second home/short term vacation rental, I completely agree with your observations of the challenges. One way around the AirBnB limits is to rent the unit for more than 31 days to snow-birders which circumvents most short-term vacation rental laws and avoids TOT taxes.

Eventually one could turn it into a multi-month second home when retired. However, I still like the resort feel, and housekeeping of the timeshares and not having to worry about maintenance and cleaning (which is a pain) so using our timeshares would be preferred because less hassle and less costly.

Last edited: