• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High Sierra Tahoe Platinum Weeks

joshposh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m looking to purchase something in week 26-34 in Tahoe. On most of the resale sites these go for around 20k however it looks like one sold on here last month for around 10k. Was there something different with that sale or would you say 10k is kind of the number I should be looking for. 20k seems a bit steep if you calculate the amount of years necessary to make the purchase worthwhile.

Additionally does anyone here have one they want to sell? I know where to look otherwise but it’s worth mentioning.

Finally, I’ll ask for some general advice. We live near Tahoe and like to vacation there Often. In the summer it does not seem to be easy to rent anything good without spending 4-5k in which case the math on the timeshare looks good. Would you recommend that this is a good plan/idea? We would also like to have the option of trading for Hawaii. It seems like you have the best chance of doing that if you have 2200 points but the only way to get 2200 points in Tahoe is by getting week 51/52 which we don’t want. If we eventually get two weeks in Tahoe can the points be combined? Another thought is to look for a week 25 plus a platinum as week 25 is usually essentially high season but gold and thus sells for way cheaper. Is this a good idea or will the week 25 be worthless given it’s a week before high season/platinum?

thanks!

Last edited:

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 25 at the High Sierra is a Gold week worth 1880 points. It should go for less than a platinum due to the number of points. Buy a week 25 if you want to go that week. Otherwise the week doesn't matter as much and it would be all about the points.

High Sierra is not easy to trade into internally in Hyatt. I'm sure it can be done but it requires someone to give up their week for CUP points.

Northstar Lodge has shown better availability during the summer using CUP points if that is an option for you.

If you have two Hyatt weeks the CUP points can be combined. I would recommend you purchase two weeks close together in order to do this(I have weeks 26 and 29 in Sedona) due to the timing of the points and various Hyatt rules.

The sweet spot to look for units internally is at the 6 month mark before check in.

joshposh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 25 at the High Sierra is a Gold week worth 1880 points. It should go for less than a platinum due to the number of points. Buy a week 25 if you want to go that week. Otherwise the week doesn't matter as much and it would be all about the points.

High Sierra is not easy to trade into internally in Hyatt. I'm sure it can be done but it requires someone to give up their week for CUP points.

Northstar Lodge has shown better availability during the summer using CUP points if that is an option for you.

If you have two Hyatt weeks the CUP points can be combined. I would recommend you purchase two weeks close together in order to do this(I have weeks 26 and 29 in Sedona) due to the timing of the points and various Hyatt rules.

The sweet spot to look for units internally is at the 6 month mark before check in.
Thanks for that info. I was thinking week 25 would sell for less than something well into the summer given the less points but ALSO due to it being still in June and less guarantee of good weather. But the nice thing for us is it’s a good sweet spot as school is out and we are nearby and it’s essentially the summer (usually.). It looks like it could be 1/3 the price of a platinum week. So could be strategically a good way to get extra points while still being able to use it. For example I would think May would be a horrible way to get extra points as the rental value would be incredibly low and odds are no one would use it.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I was thinking week 25 would sell for less than something well into the summer given the less points but ALSO due to it being still in June and less guarantee of good weather. But the nice thing for us is it’s a good sweet spot as school is out and we are nearby and it’s essentially the summer (usually.). It looks like it could be 1/3 the price of a platinum week. So could be strategically a good way to get extra points while still being able to use it. For example I would think May would be a horrible way to get extra points as the rental value would be incredibly low and odds are no one would use it.

Of course in late May there is Memorial Day weekend. But High Sierra is Sat.-Sat. which might be problematic for someone wanting a Friday-Monday stay. If week 25 is good for you you should get it as you guarantee you will get that time. For this year check in would have been Saturday June 20.

I should have said in my earlier post that High Sierra is not an easy summer trade internally. I have been there for President's Day week and Easter Week before. Those were easy internal trades.

I stayed Easter week one year using a non Hyatt week in II.

You are right to look at your strategy for use. Read the old posts on Hyatt here. In February and March every year I transfer my unused CUP points to EEE. I do not want to have LCUP points. They are difficult to use.

The points in II are easier and I have made a number of good trades in II through the years. I have used Hyatt points in II to go to the Marriott Timber Lodge many times. Most of the time in ski season but several times in early and late summer.

joshposh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m hearing from some of you that Hyatt resale value is all about the number of points. But it must be more than that unless the resale listed prices I’m seeing aren’t real market prices and just wishful thinking. For example at high Sierra, week 51-52 is diamond with 2200 points but goes for about 15k whereas platinum in the summer with 2000 points goes for about 20k and then gold with 1800 points is less than half of platinum but only 10 percent less points.

Are these prices people/brokers are asking BS? shoild it just be x per point ?

joshposh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone chime in as to what a platinum week would be worth on resale market?

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone chime in as to what a platinum week would be worth on resale market?
Josh, It’s difficult to guess what a summer platinum week is worth. The answer is whatever a willing seller and buyer agree on. I know that’s not the answer you are looking for. There are not a lot of numbers out there. Any number will be somewhat of a guess.

Maybe the better question is what are you willing to pay? Make an offer to someone who is trying to sell a unit you want. You might be surprised.

Call the HOA and ask if they have units for sale. Some do. That might give you a pricing idea if they have some foreclosure units at High Sierra.

Beware of too good a deal because of ROFR. Hyatt may take a summer unit if you get too good a deal.

In the TUG marketplace there are several lesser season units for sale. The prices are low. As I mentioned before summer is peak season at High Sierra more so than the Diamond weeks. Summer weeks can be rented out at a decent price so they will be more expensive. The winter weeks are lower demand and easier to trade into. I assume they rent for MF’s or less.

Some place a higher value on the specific unit and its location.

You may just decide that points are points and look at buying somewhere else and trading into High Sierra. Don’t forget there is a beautiful Marriott complex on the other side of the lake that you can trade into using Hyatt points through the included Hyatt II gold membership. It’s not easy to do during the summer but I have been there in late June and early August before.

Good luck in making your decision.

joshposh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Josh, It’s difficult to guess what a summer platinum week is worth. The answer is whatever a willing seller and buyer agree on. I know that’s not the answer you are looking for. There are not a lot of numbers out there. Any number will be somewhat of a guess.

Maybe the better question is what are you willing to pay? Make an offer to someone who is trying to sell a unit you want. You might be surprised.

Call the HOA and ask if they have units for sale. Some do. That might give you a pricing idea if they have some foreclosure units at High Sierra.

Beware of too good a deal because of ROFR. Hyatt may take a summer unit if you get too good a deal.

In the TUG marketplace there are several lesser season units for sale. The prices are low. As I mentioned before summer is peak season at High Sierra more so than the Diamond weeks. Summer weeks can be rented out at a decent price so they will be more expensive. The winter weeks are lower demand and easier to trade into. I assume they rent for MF’s or less.

Some place a higher value on the specific unit and its location.

You may just decide that points are points and look at buying somewhere else and trading into High Sierra. Don’t forget there is a beautiful Marriott complex on the other side of the lake that you can trade into using Hyatt points through the included Hyatt II gold membership. It’s not easy to do during the summer but I have been there in late June and early August before.

Good luck in making your decision.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m pretty much only interested in fixed summer weeks because that’s when my family wants to vacation and we want to do it there.

im thinking if I can make the thing pay for itself if used for 6-7 years that will be reasonable. Incidentally that would put thevalue at 1/3 of the original sales price. Seem reasonable based on other units you have owned or are aware of?

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score

Some good info on this thread from 2017.

Good luck in your search.