• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

High Energy Front Loader Washing Machines

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
My washing machine just died. Looking into a high efficiency front loader. Was looking at Kenmores but reviews are mostly negative. Mother boards going, etc. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on these? :shrug: I know they're supposed to be great but not sure about the electronics in them.

eoneguru

TUG Member
Reaction score
My washing machine just died. Looking into a high efficiency front loader. Was looking at Kenmores but reviews are mostly negative. Mother boards going, etc. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on these? :shrug: I know they're supposed to be great but not sure about the electronics in them.

We have had a Kenmore for three years and no problems, so far. At that time, Kenmore was rated near the top by CR. Have not looked at the ratings lately.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maytag

I've had a Maytag for a couple of years. Had to have repair on dryer and found out I really don't have a Maytag, but an LG with a Maytag label on it. My main complaint is that it takes nearly an hour to wash and an hour to dry.

Right now I'm not real happy with Maytag or the service contract that I purchased with it. Probably would buy another brand next time.

Nancy

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bought a Kenmore in Feb. No problems, fast wash.

Grand Vic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Nancy - not very happy with Maytag. It takes an hour to run full cycle and then sometimes the clothes are clean and sometimes they aren't. I would definitely buy another brand next time, but as much as the set cost, we will be stuck with them for a long time. And I would recommend not getting the risers. (The drawers that go under the machines to bring them up higher). Unless you put them on a concrete floor, the washer does the boogie dance if it is the least little bit off center. I asked the store about it and they said that was typical.

dopeyfav

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had a Kenmore for about 3 years with no problems, as a matter of fact we are very happy with it. When we purchased it, it was rated very well in CR.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We've had an LG Tromm washer & dryer a little over a year and love them. We got them at Home Depot.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We've had an LG Tromm washer & dryer a little over a year and love them. We got them at Home Depot.

We also have the LG Tromm washer. It has worked ok, but I did have to replace one part.

One thing about LG is that they deliberately make it difficult for anyone but a certified technician to service their units. I'm accustomed to doing my own repairs on simple mechanical items (and washers and dryers really are pretty simple), and it can be surprisingly difficult to get LG to sell you replacement parts if you are not an LG-approved service facility.

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
very highly recommend Miele. Check the website and compare to other brands.

pranas

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My front loading maytag is now 10 yeras old and I still love it. I had a problem with the spinning cycle once but it was fixed and have had no problems since.

Last edited:

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the front-loaders as well. Several stores are having some good sales for Labor Day weekend. Mine is still working, but starting to have some problems. I've been looking at the LG's. They were highly rated in the last Consumer Reports.

I have a Maytag I've been using for almost 30 years! After 3 boys and lots of dirty sports uniforms it is still working. We replaced the dryer a few years ago, but I think it's time for a new washer now!

Whatever I purchase, I know it won't last as long as the Maytag! They just don't make them like that anymore (now I'm sounding like my parents)!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frigidaire

When we got our little check from Geo. & Co. a couple months ago we- after much research and brow-beating the guy at Lowe's bought Frigidaire Affinity. Not the biggest or fanciest- or most expensive. They were rated 'Best Buy' by Consumer's Reports. We are still able to bend over some and prefer to use the tops to fold clothes to stashing soap etc. in $400 worth of drawers under them.

Lowe's had a coupon for $50 off delivery- curiously delivery was $50. No coincidence there. The power company gave us $100 credit, and we got $200 for the old top loader set. Whooppee, we came out ahead!

They do an awesome job and as usual I'm kicking my hinder for not doing it sooner.

Whichever you choose, just be sure to use the HE detergent and use about half of what they suggest- especially if you have soft water.

Jim Ricks

IreneLF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a pair of Whirlpool Duets and absolutely LOVE them (and I usually don't feel that way about appliances).
The washer does a super job, not at all as hard on clothes and gets them VERY clean. Highly recommend.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo

We have a LG Tromm and it is great, we researched the heck out of all our big purchases..

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your help. I was feeling a little bit apprehensive about some of the reviews, but sounds like from the reviews here there aren't that many complaints. Was worrying about the motherboard going and heard it was like $350 to replace. Maybe I'll just add a surge protector to the machine as well.

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had my maytag washer and dryer for almost 2 years and absolutely LOVE them.

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like there are a lot of Maytags out there. Maybe I should check them out as well.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Whichever you choose, just be sure to use the HE detergent and use about half of what they suggest- especially if you have soft water.

Jim Ricks

There are some old threads in the lounge discussing both top-loading washers and the amounts of detergent to use. Interested readers can use the search feature to call them up.

Even one-half the suggested amount is often overkill. I use closer to one-fifth the recommended amount with no problem.

If you or a member of your family is sensitive to detergent in clothes, think about that for a moment. What that means is that when you are finished laundering your clothes, there is still detergent residue in your clothes.

IOW - you used too much detergent!!! You had so much free detergent inside the washer that it didn't all rinse out of your clothes. Cut back on the amount of detergent you are using by 50%; you will have less detergent residue remaining in your clothes and I bet your clothes will almost surely come out just as clean. If you're still having significant detergent residue, cut your detergent usage in half again. Do that a third time or a fourth time.

Even if you don't have detergent sensitivities, you can still follow the same approach for investigating how much detergent you need. Just keep cutting back on the amount of detergent you use until you notice a change in cleaning effectiveness. Then go back up one level. If you try that most users will find they can easily cut back their detergent by at least 75%, and many will find that they can get by with only 10% of what they have been using.

BTW - I'm talking about actual detergent residue in the clothes (typically causing itchiness), not the detergent perfurme. The perfumes are formulated to remain in the clothes, so cutting back on detergent will almost never get the perfume smell out of the clothes if you used a detergent containing perfumes.

JillC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been told with the high efficiency machines to start with 2 tablespoons of the high efficiency detergent. You shouldn't see any suds around the rim when wash is finished. If you have suds, cut back.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've been told with the high efficiency machines to start with 2 tablespoons of the high efficiency detergent. You shouldn't see any suds around the rim when wash is finished. If you have suds, cut back.

That's pretty much correct. I shoot for having just a few isolated clumps of suds at the end of the wash cycle.

DW has a very hard time breaking away from manufacturer recommended dosages. Then she complains about detergent sensitivity. But she won't cut back on the amount she uses because then she wouldn't be using the proper amount.

I roll my eyes, but really that is another one of her endearing traits. It's part of the same makeup that enables her to be focused, disciplined, organized, and dililgent. And I really need someone like that in my life.

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
It also depends on what you are washing. I find that 2 king size sheets and 2 pillow cases use more detergent than a load of towels to produce the same amount of suds, wonder why?

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
We have an LG front load Tromm washer too, and we love it! We also bought the Sears Warranty for three years. The only problem I can think of... is the shortest cycle is 30 minutes. But our clothes come out really clean and almost dry. My son plays football and my old twenty year old GE, did not get his uniform clean. My new LG gets them really clean! It also has a steam option, when you need to freshing up clothes, when there is not enough time to wash. It also has it's own built-in heater! Once last comment, My son is in high school and some of his friends commented on the "neat" lights and "cool" sounds the unit makes! All in all we are very happy with our purchase!

M. Henley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Henry Ford?

This reminds me of a story concerning Henry Ford and the manufacture of the "T-Model".
Mr. Ford was reportedly walking through his factory and took note of a worker soldering the copper fuel line to the carburator. After observing for a bit, he asked the employee to cut back one drop on the amount of solder used. After testing, the unit did not leak. He repeated the process, cutting back one drop of solder at a time, until a leak occurred, then told the employee to add one drop.
Not much of a savng on one unit, but a substantial savings on the hundreds of units produced yearly.

...Cut back on the amount of detergent you are using by 50%; you will have less detergent residue remaining in your clothes and I bet your clothes will almost surely come out just as clean. If you're still having significant detergent residue, cut your detergent usage in half again. Do that a third time or a fourth time

Even if you don't have detergent sensitivities, you can still follow the same approach for investigating how much detergent you need. Just keep cutting back on the amount of detergent you use until you notice a change in cleaning effectiveness. Then go back up one level. If you try that most users will find they can easily cut back their detergent by at least 75%, and many will find that they can get by with only 10% of what they have been using...
QUOTE]

:cheer:

azsunluvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot lately about front-loading machines not working well for whites. For some reason, whites don't stay as white, even with bleach. We have really bad water here, so I'm sure that's a lot of the problem, but my whites get dingy after just a few washings. I don't even know what to do anymore.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was worrying about the motherboard going and heard it was like $350 to replace. Maybe I'll just add a surge protector to the machine as well.

A lot of the new appliances have electronic controls compared to the manual type. I think that a surge protector is a good idea and also an extended warranty. For less than $40 per year, after the Whirlpool or Kenmore, or GE warranty, you can get protection for your appliance. I use to never buy extended warranties, but when my expensive high tech micro-hood microwave broke at 11 months and the repair man told me how much it would have cost without the warranty, I decided to buy one for the Whirlpool Duet Sport Washer I just bought.

By the way, I love the new washer and would highly recommend it.