• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC new loyalty tiers for direct owners

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Elite Premier Legacy Owner who is trying to keep up with all the news.

1)Is there any confirmation that the HGVMax Program Tiers and Elite Legacy tiers will be completely separate moving forward? I have seen conflicting info from all of the posts i have seen.

2)Is there a post anywhere where an HGVC member was allowed to upgrade his membership for $7000 without a new property puchase?

3)Is there an actual complete launch date of Max other than summer?

We are headed to HGVC in July and Possibly late June. Trying ot decide if we get hooked in to a presentation or not since it seems like everything is still so unsettled.

there is this, https://www.hiltongrandvacations.co...Bk0A5ojxqWN-2Y5bCTHgZI9_wd06AUa9KCH-3nT8rjzKQ .

No $7k offer yet and no launch date.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
In the earnings call transcript, HGVC did state that legacy owners will be able to buy a membership in HGVMax later this year without buying a new deed. I assume that is when the $7K fee will become relevant.

While many of us are frustrated with the slow release of information. It makes sense that they are including Max membership as soon as the program is first announced. I am sure people would either decide against purchasing if they knew it was coming, or would be really pissed off if they bought now only to learn that there was a fee to join later in the year...

As for us existing owners, my guess is very few would pay a fee to join until the details of membership are formally released..

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Why would an Elite, or any HGV member for that matter want to pay to access the lower tier HV Club resorts?

My points have more value at the Grand Resorts, if I want lower tier I'll pay cash at Hilton dot com.

Max has dubious value even if they gave it to me free...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Why would an Elite, or any HGV member for that matter want to pay to access the lower tier HV Club resorts?

My points have more value at the Grand Resorts, if I want lower tier I'll pay cash at Hilton dot com.

Max has dubious value even if they gave it to me free...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Because they may not have locations where you want to go. Diamond provides access to locations like Sedona.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
just buy resale Hyatt Residence Club. Much better quality than Diamond
I already own two weeks, and I agree. Not only nicer, but less expensive to own. But on paper, I can see the attraction. In reality, there won't be much in the way of key weeks and locations available in the program.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
just buy resale Hyatt Residence Club. Much better quality than Diamond
If someone already had all the HGVC points they can use, why would they buy another week or into another point system just to access a location they may want to visit once or twice? Although it is not for me, I can see the extra locations (even though they are a lower tier than HGVC) being a pull for existing owners who 1) own enough points already and 2) want the option of more locations to use those points.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
If someone already had all the HGVC points they can use, why would they buy another week or into another point system just to access a location they may want to visit once or twice? Although it is not for me, I can see the extra locations (even though they are a lower tier than HGVC) being a pull for existing owners who 1) own enough points already and 2) want the option of more locations to use those points.

Kurt

I get that, but to pay $7000 buy more points, trade in some points or just use another system is ridiculous in it’s own right.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I get that, but to pay $7000 buy more points, trade in some points or just use another system is ridiculous in it’s own right.
Absolutely!

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually I am not so sure the $7000 is "ridiculous" depending on how the benefits end up shaking out to go from Elite Premier to HGVMax Centum +.
I have been a loyal HGVC Elite Premier member for 15+ years now and have enjoyed Elite status for many years when most have said it provides no value.
I also own a Vistana Week to access their point system and a Welk package to play within their system as well.

Here is what I see from HGV Max

1)I typically use open season for weekend trips to Vegas vs Points as the Elite Cash rate is a great value.. I would probably burn up a good chunk of the $1000 a year in this benefit most years

2)Exclusive booking windows offering priority access to accommodations. This would actually be the key for me as I am Elite Premier but my points are owned at an affiliate where I don't stay.

3)Access to South Lake Tahoe and other locations which I do not currently have access to through HGVC - Yes I could buy a cheap week but I would prefer to be able to book it through my HGVC account and points. This is a location I would use several times a year. As an FYI I owned Diamond Lake Tahoe Vacation resort before and if it wasn't for Diamond being a horrid company I would still own it.

4)Extra $100 in Lyft pass benefit a year which I definitely would use

5)Loyalty Search requests before the 9 month window. Depending on how this works this in itself could help pay for an upgrade fee quickly for someone like me who typically travels only during peak times.

6)$100 yearly resort credit

7)Guaranteed late checkout with Centum which is not currently guaranteed with Elite Premier

In a nutshell I think I would recoup ~$1000-$1500 a year in benefits assuming the perks above do not get added to my existing Elite Premier Legacy membership. I also think that the new resorts and some booking advantages would provide even more value to a program I already really enjoy. In a nutshell I see it as a 4-5 year ROI assuming the investment would be $7k. There is no doubt the 6 month booking window is a head scratcher but I think I would still pull the trigger on it if the details above end up correct. I would definitely say though that I have no desire to increase my MF any more with new points as I am definitely not in need of more.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
@MattnTricia are you sure that they will allow HGVC Elite to go straight across to Max Centum for $7k? What if they require buying all new Max points?

I can get to Sedona using RCI or Interval, or cash on the hotel web sites. Sure, the sales people will try scare tactics that those deposits will dry up, I'll deal with that if it happens.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@MattnTricia are you sure that they will allow HGVC Elite to go straight across to Max Centum for $7k? What if they require buying all new Max points?

I can get to Sedona using RCI or Interval, or cash on the hotel web sites. Sure, the sales people will try scare tactics that those deposits will dry up, I'll deal with that if it happens.

I just wonder if availability will be any better in Max vs RCI or II.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually I am not so sure the $7000 is "ridiculous" depending on how the benefits end up shaking out to go from Elite Premier to HGVMax Centum +.
I have been a loyal HGVC Elite Premier member for 15+ years now and have enjoyed Elite status for many years when most have said it provides no value.
I also own a Vistana Week to access their point system and a Welk package to play within their system as well.

Here is what I see from HGV Max

1)I typically use open season for weekend trips to Vegas vs Points as the Elite Cash rate is a great value.. I would probably burn up a good chunk of the $1000 a year in this benefit most years

2)Exclusive booking windows offering priority access to accommodations. This would actually be the key for me as I am Elite Premier but my points are owned at an affiliate where I don't stay.

3)Access to South Lake Tahoe and other locations which I do not currently have access to through HGVC - Yes I could buy a cheap week but I would prefer to be able to book it through my HGVC account and points. This is a location I would use several times a year. As an FYI I owned Diamond Lake Tahoe Vacation resort before and if it wasn't for Diamond being a horrid company I would still own it.

4)Extra $100 in Lyft pass benefit a year which I definitely would use

5)Loyalty Search requests before the 9 month window. Depending on how this works this in itself could help pay for an upgrade fee quickly for someone like me who typically travels only during peak times.

6)$100 yearly resort credit

7)Guaranteed late checkout with Centum which is not currently guaranteed with Elite Premier

In a nutshell I think I would recoup ~$1000-$1500 a year in benefits assuming the perks above do not get added to my existing Elite Premier Legacy membership. I also think that the new resorts and some booking advantages would provide even more value to a program I already really enjoy. In a nutshell I see it as a 4-5 year ROI assuming the investment would be $7k. There is no doubt the 6 month booking window is a head scratcher but I think I would still pull the trigger on it if the details above end up correct. I would definitely say though that I have no desire to increase my MF any more with new points as I am definitely not in need of more.

If you have 100,000 existing developer bought points, sure. I don’t think there are many HGVC members who are in the same boat as you, though.

Here’s what I think the ridiculous part is. If you already spent that kind of money on 100,000 developer bought (or even that many from places like Scotland or SW Florida), HGVC still wants you to spend more money to join Max. It’s a ridiculous notion to treat their customers in that way.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have 100,000 existing developer bought points, sure. I don’t think there are many HGVC members who are in the same boat as you, though.

Here’s what I think the ridiculous part is. If you already spent that kind of money on 100,000 developer bought (or even that many from places like Scotland or SW Florida), HGVC still wants you to spend more money to join Max. It’s a ridiculous notion to treat their customers in that way.
I don’t think people that pay that kind of money for developer points will blink an eye. My concern is the impact this will have on availability. There are many more diamond owners that will have access to HGVC, which will pinch off supply to nonMax owners at the 6month mark.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t think people that pay that kind of money for developer points will blink an eye. My concern is the impact this will have on availability. There are many more diamond owners that will have access to HGVC, which will pinch off supply to nonMax owners at the 6month mark.
I would be curious though how many with that many points did it all through developer purchases. I suspect most have some retail but mostly elite eligible resales. Not that this was the conversation but just to toss it out there that they may not have spent as much as you think and may push back on a $7k fee.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Doesn't matter whether they can afford it or not. It's a matter of respect and expectations. There are many who did push back who were the higher levels of elite stating they gave enough already. Do we really know if we will have many more DRI owners that will have access? We are all making assumptions on this. I do agree there are a few owners that aquired their elite status buying through affiliates.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Doesn't matter whether they can afford it or not. It's a matter of respect and expectations. There are many who did push back who were the higher levels of elite stating they gave enough already. Do we really know if we will have many more DRI owners that will have access? We are all making assumptions on this. I do agree there are a few owners that aquired their elite status buying through affiliates.
I agree about the respect part. From what I have read in filings Diamond has 400,000+ and Hilton has 220,000+

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score

That is what
I would be curious though how many with that many points did it all through developer purchases. I suspect most have some retail but mostly elite eligible resales. Not that this was the conversation but just to toss it out there that they may not have spent as much as you think and may push back on a $7k fee.

100% correct on the upfront cost- I think a lot of Elite Premier's are people like me who have bought most of their points through qualified resales . As for the pushback on the $7000 fee it will depend on what the benefits end up being vs what our current program will be. If I can get back $1200 a year + / - on a $7k investment knowing I will be using this program for many years to come and gain access to things I don't currently have without increasing my MF it is actually a no brainer.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what

100% correct on the upfront cost- I think a lot of Elite Premier's are people like me who have bought most of their points through qualified resales . As for the pushback on the $7000 fee it will depend on what the benefits end up being vs what our current program will be. If I can get back $1200 a year + / - on a $7k investment knowing I will be using this program for many years to come and gain access to things I don't currently have without increasing my MF it is actually a no brainer.

I am in the same boat and will evaluate the benefits before doing anything.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get. For small owners $7K for nothing but access without any more points is a lot. It would make more sense if they gave you additional points. The program probably only makes sense for elites.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Mongoose That's an interesting observation about the Elite benefits. I am curious about the value proposition for non-elite DRI owners. It seems that DRI owners have a lot more to gain by joining MAX. Not only better resorts via HGVC and bHC but Honors conversion. Will they also be able to buy in for $7k? If so, that seems uneven between the two programs given they gain so much more.

MattnTricia

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other interesting note

HGVC just sent out an email "What Is Hilton Vacation Club? "

When you click on HGVMax the page is blank....lol

I wonder if they are continuing the evolution of this program prior to official launch.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I wonder if they are continuing the evolution of this program prior to official launch.

It lists the full value of the program ;)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That is the state of the program right now...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Actually I am not so sure the $7000 is "ridiculous" depending on how the benefits end up shaking out to go from Elite Premier to HGVMax Centum+....

If they roll out the red carpet and it works for you, great.

But I do not see a value in paying 'x'K to book lesser resorts
-- no matter what other little perks they sprinkle on top).

IMHO. HGVC should pay _us_ to create a demand for them.

-------------------
BTW, I don't recall it being said here that elite has "no value,"
just that a new buyer should prolly not pay retail for it's value.

Last edited: