• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV Max in the Club Reference Guide

Diana333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort, Great Escapes Travel Club, HGVMax
So, @diana323 did you initially buy your DRI deeded week resale?

I have 3 resale weeks and developer US Collection Points. They offered us HGV Max at a presentation in February. Interestingly, they offered to "launder" my 3 resale weeks for 10,000 points each with a purchase, but I declined.

In essence they had already done that when I made my developer.purchase which got me Platinum and 13 month booking window. I am not interested in giving up my deeds.and since I.also own HGVC resale, I just don't foresee an upside for me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
No, I didn't buy my DRI week on resale. Is a deeded Timeshare property better than a Title held in trust? I agree that everyone's situation is different. If I owned three resale weeks I probably wouldn't give them up either :)

Diana333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resort, Great Escapes Travel Club, HGVMax
Under the previous releases it said if you bought resell after the Announcement Date you could not join HGV MAX. But if you bought resell before the Announcement Date you could go HGV MAX for a minimum of $7K.
Ok so there was a time limit to when you could join HGVMax with a resale week?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Ok so there was a time limit to when you could join HGVMax with a resale week?

As of right now, HGVC resale weeks are not eligible for Max. This may change in the future but we can’t join Max (I’m a full resale owner).

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
As of right now, HGVC resale weeks are not eligible for Max. This may change in the future but we can’t join Max (I’m a full resale owner).
Unless you "upgrade" one but I suspect something else will come down the road.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless you "upgrade" one but I suspect something else will come down the road.

Yup. As of right now, we resale owners can’t pay the $7000 to enroll. I agree there probably will be a way in the future, but right now there is no way. I’m not really worried about it as $7000 is way to much for what you get.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
I don’t think it is clear that there is any difference in HGVC resale owner status based on the date of HGV MAX announcement early April 2022.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don't feel bad, Elite owners who dropped 100 grand on developer purchases are in the cold right now too
These are the people who really got the shaft....

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yup. As of right now, we resale owners can’t pay the $7000 to enroll. I agree there probably will be a way in the future, but right now there is no way. I’m not really worried about it as $7000 is way to much for what you get.
As another poster noted, this limitation a actually a benefit is disguise.
Frugal TS buyers should not be tempted to drop $7K on this tur[key].

As a HGVC owner for ~15 years, I've not even been tempted by a DRI.
IMHO, it's a $$-grab by HGVC for little more than a garnish on a plate.
I'm sure there are fine DRI's, but for me, it would not the worth it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

I agree, I'm not disappointed in the HGVC choices I've had and will continue to have as a resale owner, no amount of lip flapping by a salesman will change my opinion. FOMO is BS on this turkey.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I agree. I think there are going to be some pretty disappointed owners that spent a lot of money to get to a higher status. While I’ve only been a resale only owner for 4 years, I have been very happy with the HGVC places we have stayed. I don’t want to put all of my vacation money into 1 basket. The 6 month time frame is not worth the money it would take. The loyalty searches? Ridiculous!

The biggest issue about paying that kind of money to join right now is we don’t even know what the program will look like! There are reports they have pushed the launch date back to late 2022. Who knows how much farther they will push it back? I am very happy with what I have now.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was glancing over the Max info again and this last line in the paragraph below tells me that the Legacy Search Request will not book at 10 months...it may start searching but only book after the club reservation window closes. I don't think it was worded this way before so it must have been updated to clarify. It is on the Max FAQ page: https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/hgv-max/faqs

Will HGV Max impact availability for existing Club Members who do not buy in to the program?
Your Home Week Reservation Window remains unchanged, and HGV Max will have no impact on your ability to reserve your Home Week. For Members with Home Resort or Hilton Club priority, there will also be no impact on a Member’s ability to make reservations during these reservation windows. HGV Max reservations can only be made after the Club reservation window and starting six months or less before the check-out date.

WORLD TRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Noticed this posting in the HGVC Facebook owners group page from someone who posted about their owner update experience at HGVC Ocean Enclave resort. This could be the future direction of the Timeshare program with HGVC.

Just left presentation
Minimum 4000 point purchase @$8 a point = $32,000 and u will pay approximately 2200 maintenance fee each year for that extra 4000 points. These are trust points and considered a separate account from your deed account.
They will be doing away with deed direct sales going foward and I was specifically told they were not processing any redeed/upgrades!!!

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Noticed this posting in the HGVC Facebook owners group page from someone who posted about their owner update experience at HGVC Ocean Enclave resort. This could be the future direction of the Timeshare program with HGVC.

Just left presentation
Minimum 4000 point purchase @$8 a point = $32,000 and u will pay approximately 2200 maintenance fee each year for that extra 4000 points. These are trust points and considered a separate account from your deed account.
They will be doing away with deed direct sales going foward and I was specifically told they were not processing any redeed/upgrades!!!
Well, we know that new deeds or upgrade sales going away isn't true, at the moment, but the point discussion does align with what I heard at my owner update in April. That is expensive for those points though.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

Just left presentation
How can 4000 points be $2200? I pay much less than that for 11,200.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How can 4000 points be $2200? I pay much less than that for 11,200.

Because this is one of the ways salesman are convincing owners to purchase. Scaring owners to purchase now with a deed and a lower MF so they can avoid the higher cost later. Could they move to trust points? Sure, but a salesman who is tyring to convince people to purchase right now has motivation to promote the high cost, high MF point structure whether switching to a trust is true, rumored or totally made up.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Was this poster an HGV deed owner and they were offered Diamond trust points?

IMO if this is a trend and not a sales ploy this pulls directly from the MVC playbook. There is a chart on the MVC forum that shows the rise in points purchase cost over time. But what was also shared was the rise in MF/point of these trusts as junk deeds were added to the portfolio.

And when you want out and want to sell your points they sell for a fraction but rather than ROFR they take $3/pp on the transaction in order to "enroll them" aka make them usable in the system. So MVC makes money coming and going. What a business model! The only redeeming quality of the trust points AFAIK is that you can rent them out and also rent them if you only have a few points. However, that's a high price to pay. Only deeds for me.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Because this is one of the ways salesman are convincing owners to purchase. Scaring owners to purchase now with a deed and a lower MF so they can avoid the higher cost later. Could they move to trust points? Sure, but a salesman who is tyring to convince people to purchase right now has motivation to promote the high cost, high MF point structure whether switching to a trust is true, rumored or totally made up.
4000 points must be for a low season. The MF are probably higher than retail to rent the room.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
owner update experience at HGVC Ocean Enclave resort.
Note: their sales center is most likely run by the developer of MB resorts and not HGVCorp. They may be simply pushing what is most convenient for them - e.g. pushing sales of a product that pays the highest commission.

I read a lot of horror stories from Myrtle Beach and HHI resorts specifically. They seem to be the worst of all.

Deeds are not going away. HGVC cannot replace existing deeds with trust points, even if they ROFR a unit. Deed restrictions from the original sale convey to future sales, and even HGVC is bound by them. Once a restrictive covenant is applied on a property, it's a done deal. So deeds are here to stay for all existing HGVC resorts. (not saying future ones will have it)

Mowogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas; HGVC on Paradise; Bay Club at Waikoloa; Vacation Village Williamsburg; Sheraton Flex
Note: their sales center is most likely run by the developer of MB resorts and not HGVCorp. They may be simply pushing what is most convenient for them - e.g. pushing sales of a product that pays the highest commission.

I read a lot of horror stories from Myrtle Beach and HHI resorts specifically. They seem to be the worst of all.

Deeds are not going away. HGVC cannot replace existing deeds with trust points, even if they ROFR a unit. Deed restrictions from the original sale convey to future sales, and even HGVC is bound by them. Once a restrictive covenant is applied on a property, it's a done deal. So deeds are here to stay for all existing HGVC resorts. (not saying future ones will have it)
There are markets that will always have deeds because HGVC knows they can make more money selling certain properties and seasons as deeds over a trust point system. When I did a Wyndham presentation in Hawaii the salesperson mentioned that some people were still buying developer deeded weeks, and they’ve been a pure points system for a while.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

How have Marriott, Vistana and many other developers been able to convey deeds to REITs and sell them as points?

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
How have Marriott, Vistana and many other developers been able to convey deeds to REITs and sell them as points?
You can put anything into a trust. A trust is just a new owner (like a person). Nothing unusual here.

But selling points from them. Now that you point this out, then I don't know. Maybe these companies structured the restrictive covenants to allow more flexibility. Which also suggests HGVC could have done the same. Which invalidates my argument. Thanks for pointing it out. Now that I think of it, the companies you mentioned most likely pay the MF as usual to the HOA, and then put this unit as inventory into their new system that they sell points from.

I guess I'll have to follow one of my HGVC deeds to the initial grant and track down a complete text of all restrictive covenants on that piece of real estate to see what HGVC can and cannot do.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can put anything into a trust. A trust is just a new owner (like a person). Nothing unusual here.

But selling points from them. Now that you point this out, then I don't know. Maybe these companies structured the restrictive covenants to allow more flexibility. Which also suggests HGVC could have done the same. Which invalidates my argument. Thanks for pointing it out. Now that I think of it, the companies you mentioned most likely pay the MF as usual to the HOA, and then put this unit as inventory into their new system that they sell points from.

I guess I'll have to follow one of my HGVC deeds to the initial grant and track down a complete text of all restrictive covenants on that piece of real estate to see what HGVC can and cannot do.
I am not sure how HGV would be fundamentally different than the others. I am sure when Vistana and Marriott created weeks and deeds they weren't thinking trusts. They just started conveying deeds to the trust and declared points. The trust is a new entity. I see no reason why HGV can't do the same. Diamond does the same with their collections.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am not sure how HGV would be fundamentally different than the others. I am sure when Vistana and Marriott created weeks and deeds they weren't thinking trusts. They just started conveying deeds to the trust and declared points. The trust is a new entity. I see no reason why HGV can't do the same. Diamond does the same with their collections.

When they switched from deeds to trust points, didn’t MVC have to offer existing owners to enroll so they would have enough to have a club? I know they have a lot of points with DRI, but Max isn’t set up that way right now. I know things can change, but this seems like it’s so far down the road.