• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Having second thoughts

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Well, it's six days after the purchase/rescission e-mail, and the only word I've heard from Wyndham was a text message from the sales guy at the hotel saying he was sorry it didn't work out (which I ignored). No official word from anyone about the rescission yet, and no refund yet in sight. Also, the paper copy of the letter, which was sent out five days ago, still says it's in transit. I live in SoCal, and it is only going to Las Vegas. No idea why it should take this long.
Refunds back to credit cards can take up to 45 days. It doesn’t matter when they receive your letter because the only date that matters is the day you mailed it as long as you did so within the rescission period.

Wyndham doesn’t have to acknowledge your letter but they are required by law to honor it by rescinding the contract & refunding your payment.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
And today I sent that letter via certified mail with a read receipt to their office in Las Vegas.
Also, the paper copy of the letter, which was sent out five days ago, still says it's in transit. I live in SoCal, and it is only going to Las Vegas. No idea why it should take this long.
What USPS option did you use on this mailing? 5 days is out of line. I've sent Certified and Priority Mail envelop across the country and have never seen more than 3 days (or 4 when a Sunday is involved). Generally a tracking number gives more info than just 'in transit'.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Disney is known as a high end TS product and really the Holy Grail of TS. Although I spent $4 on my Wyndham TS, I’m willing to spend $10k on a Disney TS once the child situation with the wife resolves.

Wyndham TS don’t retain resale value that well. Although Disney TS retail about 50 percent, you are lucky to get even 2 percent with Wyndham. If you try to sell your 300k Bonnett Creek in two weeks, you are lucky to sell for $600. That’s how I got 430k pts for $4.

I love Wyndham but hate their sales practices. Disney generally has four star resorts. Besides Bonnett Creek, Wyndhak generally has three star resorts. RCI has a lot of two star resorts.

How many timeshare resorts have you personally stayed at? Also where you are getting the star ratings from?

When I'm investigating a resort we've never stayed at I end up reading reviews on Trip Advisor. I find a number of the reviews completely worthless and the star ratings flawed. You have to weed out the reviews from people who have no idea how timeshares work and expected a luxury hotel with daily maid service and room service.

We've stayed at half a dozen HGVC resorts and they all get 5 stars on Trip Advisor except for one that got 4.5 stars. We've stayed at 55+ resorts in 14 states through Wyndham and RCI so I have an excellent basis for comparison. While all the Hilton Grand Vacation Club resorts we've stayed at were nice only one should get even 4.5 stars. Yet of the 8 Wyndham resorts that I just now looked up on Trip Advisor that we've stayed at in no more than the last year or so none got above 4.5 stars. And all of them were as nice as and in most cases better than the one Hilton Grand Vacation Club resorts I thought worthy of 4.5 stars.

I think a good part of the reason Wyndham isn't rated higher is because of the huge number of renters. But some owners are equally as guilty of having no idea about what they booked. My all time favorite was an owner who recently completely trashed St. Thomas Margaritaville in one of the Wydham Facebook groups I belong to. She booked a studio, not even a studio deluxe, then ranted about how small it was and that it didn't have a stovetop just a microwave. The general response was yeah, apparently you didn't even look at what you booked!

She also complained how awful the service at the bar was and how they ignored her. We've been at this resort for 6 days now and I haven't had to wait for more than one or two people to be waited on to order our drinks during happy hour when the bar is the busiest. None of the people we've enjoyed sitting with and talking to have had any complaints about the service either. The complainers and people who can't be bothered to do any checking at all about the accommodations are the kinds of people whose reviews inaccurately impact the star ratings.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
How many timeshare resorts have you personally stayed at? Also where you are getting the star ratings from?

When I'm investigating a resort we've never stayed at I end up reading reviews on Trip Advisor. I find a number of the reviews completely worthless and the star ratings flawed. You have to weed out the reviews from people who have no idea how timeshares work and expected a luxury hotel with daily maid service and room service.

We've stayed at half a dozen HGVC resorts and they all get 5 stars on Trip Advisor except for one that got 4.5 stars. We've stayed at 55+ resorts in 14 states through Wyndham and RCI so I have an excellent basis for comparison. While all the Hilton Grand Vacation Club resorts we've stayed at were nice only one should get even 4.5 stars. Yet of the 8 Wyndham resorts that I just now looked up on Trip Advisor that we've stayed at in no more than the last year or so none got above 4.5 stars. And all of them were as nice as and in most cases better than the one Hilton Grand Vacation Club resorts I thought worthy of 4.5 stars.

I think a good part of the reason Wyndham isn't rated higher is because of the huge number of renters. But some owners are equally as guilty of having no idea about what they booked. My all time favorite was an owner who recently completely trashed St. Thomas Margaritaville in one of the Wydham Facebook groups I belong to. She booked a studio, not even a studio deluxe, then ranted about how small it was and that it didn't have a stovetop just a microwave. The general response was yeah, apparently you didn't even look at what you booked!

She also complained how awful the service at the bar was and how they ignored her. We've been at this resort for 6 days now and I haven't had to wait for more than one or two people to be waited on to order our drinks during happy hour when the bar is the busiest. None of the people we've enjoyed sitting with and talking to have had any complaints about the service either. The complainers and people who can't be bothered to do any checking at all about the accommodations are the kinds of people whose reviews inaccurately impact the star ratings.
Wyndham isn’t as good as Hilton, Marriott, Westin, Hyatt or Sheraton resorts. That’s my opinion.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Disney is known as a high end TS product and really the Holy Grail of TS. Although I spent $4 on my Wyndham TS, I’m willing to spend $10k on a Disney TS once the child situation with the wife resolves.

Wyndham TS don’t retain resale value that well. Although Disney TS retail about 50 percent, you are lucky to get even 2 percent with Wyndham. If you try to sell your 300k Bonnett Creek in two weeks, you are lucky to sell for $600. That’s how I got 430k pts for $4.

I love Wyndham but hate their sales practices. Disney generally has four star resorts. Besides Bonnett Creek, Wyndhak generally has three star resorts. RCI has a lot of two star resorts.
Ugh I want a DVC but I don’t want the DVC buy in! RCI trader it is lol I’ll be happy with a 1 bedroom.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Wyndham isn’t as good as Hilton, Marriott, Westin, Hyatt or Sheraton resorts. That’s my opinion.

@Jan M. described her EXPERIENCE in detail. You stated an OPINION in a half-liner. Why don't you back it up? :)

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Happy people are silent don't give feedback on TripAdvisor or Facebook. Unhappy people are vocal and grind their ax wherever they can vent including social media.
Silent Majority is usually right and always wins! :)

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

I have stayed at six (6) TS resorts. I should have clarified. By stars, I meant hotel quality and luxury rating. One TS resort I stayed at was four (4) stars, one was three and a half (3.5) stars, and four (4) were three stars.

I did rate them on TUG. Besides Massanutten, I rated the three (3) star and three and half (3.5) resorts a 9/10 on TUG. I rated the four (4) star resort a 9.5/10 on TUG.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@Jan M. described her EXPERIENCE in detail. You stated an OPINION in a half-liner. Why don't you back it up? :)
Um, “THATS MY OPINION” written in My “half-liner” indicates JUST THAT! It’s my opinion. I don’t need to backup my opinion. But sure, I’ve been to many Wyndham and I’ve been to many Westin’s, Marriott’s and Hilton’s. The latter resorts are higher quality, that’s been my experience.