• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Having second thoughts

Kitsune85

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Orlando
Just curious. 200k at $29k works out to $145/1000. That's a very good developer price unheard of except via telesales. It's hard to believe they offered this at a retail location. What's the catch?

Not sure. Military maybe? Or excellent credit? Still doesn't seem like such a great deal when you can get the same number of points or more for next-to-nothing. Makes me wonder if there is any circumstance under which one should buy directly from Wyndham instead of the resale market.

If OP wants to go to Asia and Europe, not sure if Wyndham is the best product, even with VIPP.

Any recommendations then?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I would go take a look at the European and International Tug boards on the forums under timeshare resort regions.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! My wife and I attended a presentation this morning and to make a long story short we pulled the plug on 200k points (deeded at the Orlando property) for $29k and maintenance fees of $119.67. We went into this whole thing knowing very little, but we were DVC members years ago (ended up having to get rid of it, and we've been considering getting something similar now that we're in a better financial position, which is why we attended the presentation anyway). Rather than financing the cost, we paid for everything outright and got 300,000 points and 2 RCI Bonus Weeks.

But after reading tons of horror stories online and seeing the aftermarket sales, I feel like we may have been fleeced. For example, this listing is 175k points for only $3000 and $92 maintenance fees. That's quite a stark difference, and it makes me wonder if I'm misunderstanding something about aftermarket points or if we just made a dumb decision that I need to try to reverse.

Another question to those who have redeemed points for airfare: how much bang for your buck do you usually get? One of the big sales points for us was the ability to also use points for airfare, but I fear it may be prohibitively expensive, points-wise, to make it worth it. And as I'm sure you all know, airfare can often be the largest cost of any international vacation.

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. Rescind immediately!

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Not sure. Military maybe? Or excellent credit? Still doesn't seem like such a great deal when you can get the same number of points or more for next-to-nothing. Makes me wonder if there is any circumstance under which one should buy directly from Wyndham instead of the resale market.
I don't know about Military pricing. They only run the credit report after the deal is struck and only if you want to finance. So, Credit doesn't come into the picture.
Maybe, they decided to drop their slimy sales tactics and decided to offer an Everyday Low Price! Ok, I am just daydreaming!;)

If you want VIP Status and benefits, you have to buy it from the developer. Resale will not count.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
Sifting through the sales on eBay and elsewhere, it's not exactly clear (to me anyway, a layman) whether the points are available for Worldmark or whatever else. How can you determine that?

And what is the difference between deeded and right-to-use ownership types?

This post reinforces the most important and best advice you've heard here. Job 1 is to compose, print, and mail (Certified, Return Receipt Requested) your letter rescinding your purchase. If you don't do that in time, you will not be able to do it later.

The two questions you asked here are very good questions. But asking these questions AFTER you have already bought the timeshare is a VERY NOT prudent thing to do. You have to know these answers before you spend tens of thousands of dollars.

All of us here will be happy to help you make a good and economical timeshare purchase if that's what you want. But right now you don't know enough to determine if that's what you want. That's why you posted your question. Asking us here for help is the best decision you made with regard to buying a Wyndham contract. And almost all of us here love our Wyndham ownership, but we don't necessarily love what we paid for it after finding out that we could have paid far less if we only knew.

So get that letter in the mail and then come back here for the straight information.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
With PICs, he will be Permanent VIP-GOLD, if OP is after VIP benefits.
In that case, he is better off rescinding now. Then learn about PIC Plus and go back and do a new deal with 2 PIC Plus contracts for 508K points.

This is exactly what I did back in July 2018 - find my original thread if you want to see a blow by blow of how I went about doing so.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Just curious. 200k at $29k works out to $145/1000. That's a very good developer price unheard of except via telesales. It's hard to believe they offered this at a retail location. What's the catch?

This was what I was offered for a similar amount of points in Myrtle Beach in June 2018 where I initially bought in before rescinding. $145/1000 points for CWA 200k/200k (200k annual points/200k bonus points). I didn't want to spend that much so ended up purchasing 126k/174k CWA for $150/1000 instead. I rescinded this initial contract and went back about 30 days later after finding two 3 bedroom PIC properties and bought back in via telesales the second time around at net $134/1000 after rebates for two 105k/295k CWA contracts plus two PIC Plus contracts.

SEND YOUR RESCISSION LETTER TODAY IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY!

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
Did the OP send in a letter to recind yet? Update!

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Yes. Closure of the feedback loop would be 'mildly' satisfying! But Satisfaction, nonetheless! ;)

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Looks like I'll be sending a letter of rescission ASAP and trying to read as much as I can. There's just so much information to sift through. Our goal, ultimately, is to take a 1-2 week vacation every year, with enough flexibility to go anywhere in the world, as international (Asian and European) travel is more appealing to us than domestic. One of the selling points of Wyndham was that they have extremely good purchasing power through RCI (compared to DVC and others), which is probably how we would spend a lot of our points. Maybe we're going about this all wrong, however, and I'm open to any advice you folks may have.
If Asia and Europe are more appealing then do airbnb. No need for a timeshare. Asia hotels and resorts can be had at a great price. Do yourself a favor and don’t even buy a TS.
TS will be great for US and Caribbean travel.

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe he did, especially as a military man/woman.

Doesn't the military believe in closure? Don't they take pictures of bombings to verify the success of a mission? And to enhance the satisfaction of taxpayers who paid for the show? :D :D:D

Last edited:

Kitsune85

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Orlando
Yes, I emailed them a signed letter of rescission the same night I started this thread. And today I sent that letter via certified mail with a read receipt to their office in Las Vegas. How long do you reckon it will take to get my money back?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It can take up to 45 days.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We paid with credit cards (we have the cash available to pay it right off...gotta get those points though! ). Shouldn't it be easier and faster to refund credit than a check?
You’d likely get within two weeks.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aw geez...we paid with credit cards (we have the cash available to pay it right off...gotta get those points though! ). Shouldn't it be easier and faster to refund credit than a check? lol

Yes. Contact the finance department. They should be able to reverse the CC transaction and get you the credit within the same statement period.

Kitsune85

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Orlando
Yes. Contact the finance department. They should be able to reverse the CC transaction and get you the credit within the same statement period.

I don't think I have a number for the finance department, unless it's buried in the paperwork somewhere.

What should I expect now? A phone call from them? Email? What's the next step after mailing my letter of rescission?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think I have a number for the finance department, unless it's buried in the paperwork somewhere.

What should I expect now? A phone call from them? Email? What's the next step after mailing my letter of rescission?
I’d just sit tight. Remember they are required to process your rescission. Letting them call you is letting them have another crack at you. It’s like accepting a phone call from a foreign operative. Nothing good can come.

if both you and your SO both signed the TS contract, you both must sign the rescission letter.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Just call the main number. It's there at the top in Contact US. And enjoy the many transfers and free music! :)

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
Charge to Credit on my mistake, May 2019, was 10 calendar days. And, my rescission letter was mailed approximately 3 days after the purchase.

bobinmich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
wyndham
Yes, I emailed them a signed letter of rescission the same night I started this thread. And today I sent that letter via certified mail with a read receipt to their office in Las Vegas. How long do you reckon it will take to get my money back?

The advice you get on here is pretty much spot on! I am a green horn but learning fast...

Xcalibur

Reaction score
is it *that* good? or have the prices gone up that much in the last few years?

which makes me wonder... what is the average 'going rate' for a retail purchase these days...

Kitsune85

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Orlando
Well, it's six days after the purchase/rescission e-mail, and the only word I've heard from Wyndham was a text message from the sales guy at the hotel saying he was sorry it didn't work out (which I ignored). No official word from anyone about the rescission yet, and no refund yet in sight. Also, the paper copy of the letter, which was sent out five days ago, still says it's in transit. I live in SoCal, and it is only going to Las Vegas. No idea why it should take this long.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, it's six days after the purchase/rescission e-mail, and the only word I've heard from Wyndham was a text message from the sales guy at the hotel saying he was sorry it didn't work out (which I ignored). No official word from anyone about the rescission yet, and no refund yet in sight. Also, the paper copy of the letter, which was sent out five days ago, still says it's in transit. I live in SoCal, and it is only going to Las Vegas. No idea why it should take this long.
At least you got some word. That should be enough. Wait another two weeks for the refund.