• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good resell deal at Sheraton Vistana Orlando - Yea, Nay?

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about purchasing. Before you respond, please consider: We won't be exchanging this resort. we don't mind coming here every year, we won't be visiting any of the parks, when we vacation we basically just chill in the room, read books and rent movies, eat at area restaurants, we like being treated like owners. Here it is, awaiting your experienced, professional opinions:
Sheraton Vistana Resort
Asking price $100
Maint. Fee: $1,082.00
Week: Floating (High Season)
Ownership Type: Deeded
Use: Annual
2 Bedrooms
Sleeps 8
Beds1 King, 2 Full/Double, 1 Sleeper Sofa
View: Varies
Building/Unit: Prime Season
2 Bathrooms
Kitchen
What do you think pros? Yours is the opinion that counts to us.

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is a lockout unit, if so, this will be great if you only need 1BR at a time.
VacationForever thanks for super fast response. When you say "1 bedroom at a time", do you may we may be able to get 2 weeks vacation out of it, by splitting it up, instead of using the 2 bedrooms within one week?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
VacationForever thanks for super fast response. When you say "1 bedroom at a time", do you may we may be able to get 2 weeks vacation out of it, by splitting it up, instead of using the 2 bedrooms within one week?
That's exactly correct. If it's a lockoff, you are able to book each side separately and book back-to-back weeks (or even two separate vacations). You just have to change rooms one time since one week you will be in the "large" side and the other week you will be in the "small" side.

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a current thread on the same topic, that you will find helpful: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index....ions-value-of-sheraton-vistana-resort.251051/

In a nutshell - these units are given away for free on a regular basis (I gave one away myself.) I would not pay for one - I'd expect it to be free, including all closing costs.
So Denise M, when you say free, does that mean that I should tell them I only want to pay the maintenance of $1082 but and not the $100?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
By free - I mean I would ask for the owner to transfer it to you at no cost, and also cover the transfer costs.

The maintenance fee is a separate, and negotiable issue: If you are going to get to use the week in 2017, generally, you would be responsible for the maintenance fee. BUT - since this is a zero value timeshare, you might ask them to throw it in to sweeten the pot. The worst they can say is no.

Has the 2017 maintenance fee been paid? You need to document that, and be careful about how it is handled, if you are going to pay it directly to the owner. You don't want to pay it, and then have the transfer fall through for some reason.

ALSO: it is critical to use a reputable title company to do the transfer to protect your interest, and also insure that the transfer is legal and correct.

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are thinking about purchasing. Before you respond, please consider: We won't be exchanging this resort. we don't mind coming here every year, we won't be visiting any of the parks, when we vacation we basically just chill in the room, read books and rent movies, eat at area restaurants, we like being treated like owners. Here it is, awaiting your experienced, professional opinions:
Sheraton Vistana Resort
Asking price $100
2 Bedrooms
Sleeps 8
2 Bathrooms
Kitchen

Please do one thing first? Assuming that you belong to Interval International {II}, please check on getaways for this week/season as they run as low as $447 per week to one that is $997 per week (unusual). So you can get one to try out first and stay there for a price less than the maintenance fee whenever you want. Also check the tug resort reviews as it does get 8.5 to 9.0's on a consistent basis. Rent rather than buy. Patrick

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
By free - I mean I would ask for the owner to transfer it to you at no cost, and also cover the transfer costs.

The maintenance fee is a separate, and negotiable issue: If you are going to get to use the week in 2017, generally, you would be responsible for the maintenance fee. BUT - since this is a zero value timeshare, you might ask them to throw it in to sweeten the pot. The worst they can say is no.

Has the 2017 maintenance fee been paid? You need to document that, and be careful about how it is handled, if you are going to pay it directly to the owner. You don't want to pay it, and then have the transfer fall through for some reason.

ALSO: it is critical to use a reputable title company to do the transfer to protect your interest, and also insure that the transfer is legal and correct.
GOT IT! I understand completely now. Thanks!

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I guess "Floating" "High Season" "Prime Season" is a good thing, right?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are just promotional words. They don't make the timeshare any more valuable - it has zero value. However, if it was deeded in the off-season, it would have minus 0 value.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You definitely shouldn't have to pay for one. THere is a fellow Tugger giving away their 2BR week here in the Bargain Deals forum. You just have to pay for closing costs.

I think the main concern with a week at SVR is your ability to get rid of the week when you don't want it any more. It is very easy to get one of these, but very hard to get rid of it. I agree with Berea1, if you are already an II member, you can rent getaways at SVR outside of prime holiday weeks for half the MFs. A better option may be to buy a low MF unit somewhere just to get you access to II. You can probably use that week to exchange in to SVR by paying the exchange fees and upgrade fees for still less than the MF at SVR and then use getaways for any additional weeks you want.

trexmdr

Reaction score
Just my opinion but a place like that, Rent, Rent, Rent.
Pride of ownership always comes at a cost and there is no cost worth paying for owning a depreciating asset. And expect maintenance fees to appreciate while your property value stays at zero or minus zero.
I own a Vistana timeshare in Maui. No way I can rent that place for the maintenance fees, but with the upfront costs I could have made up the difference for the next 30 years. But I also never would have taken those vacations had I not owned there and my kids will end up with it for no upfront fees. Foe them it is a great deal.
Lots to consider so hear all the opinions from the generous and knowledgable folks here and I wish you the best of luck.
RT

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With a 2BR LO, your cost of per use with a 1BR is divided by 2, or if you were to exchange (one day you may), the cost of each exchange is also halved. I have exchanged 19 years out of the 20 years of ownership at SVR, many times into nice resorts like Westin in Kauai, Maui, Cancun, Marriott's (Newport Coast, Palm Desert) and beautiful Vino Bello (in Napa), all 2 BRs. Those Westin 2BRs are now seldom deposited into II, but still, you can pick up some nice exchanges if you opt to at some point in the future. Besides pure point systems, if I were to buy another timeshare week, it would be only resorts with lockoffs, as it halves the cost of per use for us.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It's a good deal. I know there are some costs involved in closing + $100, but if you are going to stay there every year, I would take the week. You can always ask them to pay closing and forget the $100.

I remember a young woman with two kids was asking about Vistana here on TUG, I think Cascades, and she was bound and determined to buy that week, and it was about $2,000 total. I told her to get it cheaper or buy something else. Then the big special assessment happened, and she came back to TUG to talk about that SA.

I had advised her to buy a trader and trade into Vistana anytime she wants. She thought I was ridiculous and wouldn't listen to any advice back then. And just so you know, there are traders you can use to trade into Vistana that would be free, and you would save money ultimately, even with exchange and II membership fees. Orlando fees are pretty high compared to other parts of the country.

But I like the exchange game. It's absolutely a game for me. I love it, and my kids loves it too. I keep trying to get some other family members to take some weeks I have with low MF's, but they won't take on the responsibility. I get that too.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Is there a reason you like Vistana? There are many resorts in the area that are much nicer and may have lower maintence fee. We are partial to Orange Lake in Kissimmee. Just asking because you seem determined to stay at Vistana .

Silentg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides OP wanting to use a timeshare in Orlando, choosing a 2BR LO at SVR is I believe one of the best options out there. It has much lower maintenance fees than SVV 2 BR LO, which makes it a very cost effective trader, giving priority to Vistana trades in II. There is no lockout fee in the Vistana system, unlike Marriott. Plus, it lockouts as 2 full 1BR, unlike most Marriott, which gives higher trade power and no size upgrade fee when trading to another 1BR.

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a good deal. I know there are some costs involved in closing + $100, but if you are going to stay there every year, I would take the week. You can always ask them to pay closing and forget the $100.

I remember a young woman with two kids was asking about Vistana here on TUG, I think Cascades, and she was bound and determined to buy that week, and it was about $2,000 total. I told her to get it cheaper or buy something else. Then the big special assessment happened, and she came back to TUG to talk about that SA.

I had advised her to buy a trader and trade into Vistana anytime she wants. She thought I was ridiculous and wouldn't listen to any advice back then. And just so you know, there are traders you can use to trade into Vistana that would be free, and you would save money ultimately, even with exchange and II membership fees. Orlando fees are pretty high compared to other parts of the country.

But I like the exchange game. It's absolutely a game for me. I love it, and my kids loves it too. I keep trying to get some other family members to take some weeks I have with low MF's, but they won't take on the responsibility. I get that too.

Question -what do you mean by:

What is a "trader"?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A timeshare that you use to trade for other timeshares using an Exchange Company like RCI or Interval. There are additional membership and exchange fees involved.

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
You definitely shouldn't have to pay for one. THere is a fellow Tugger giving away their 2BR week here in the Bargain Deals forum. You just have to pay for closing costs.

I think the main concern with a week at SVR is your ability to get rid of the week when you don't want it any more. It is very easy to get one of these, but very hard to get rid of it. I agree with Berea1, if you are already an II member, you can rent getaways at SVR outside of prime holiday weeks for half the MFs. A better option may be to buy a low MF unit somewhere just to get you access to II. You can probably use that week to exchange in to SVR by paying the exchange fees and upgrade fees for still less than the MF at SVR and then use getaways for any additional weeks you want.

I like this idea!

we2travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you like Vistana? There are many resorts in the area that are much nicer and may have lower maintence fee. We are partial to Orange Lake in Kissimmee. Just asking because you seem determined to stay at Vistana .

Silentg

We stayed at Vistana years ago and liked it. Never stayed at Orange Lake but I will check it out based on your recommendation, thanks.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheraton Vistana Resort
Asking price $100
2 Bedrooms
Sleeps 8
2 Bathrooms
Kitchen
Are you set on this resort? I just spent a few days there and actually prefer the Hilton options to it (not that this resort is bad.. just personal preference)

If you want to just hang out in a room etc.. Hilton at least gives you options to change it up and depending on when you go you could even get more than 1 week out of your ownership. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Are you set on this resort? I just spent a few days there and actually prefer the Hilton options to it (not that this resort is bad.. just personal preference)

If you want to just hang out in a room etc.. Hilton at least gives you options to change it up and depending on when you go you could even get more than 1 week out of your ownership. ..

Hilton has a lot higher buy-in cost, even at resale. I love Hilton, but I have not seen any reason to buy. Exchanges to Orlando are really easy, same with Vegas, and Oahu and Big Island are not my favorite islands.

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hilton has a lot higher buy-in cost, even at resale. I love Hilton, but I have not seen any reason to buy. Exchanges to Orlando are really easy, same with Vegas, and Oahu and Big Island are not my favorite islands.
I paid nothing for 4800 1br points at bay club. Mf are a little higher but flexibility is pretty good for my family. The thing that holds me back from buying Vistana or most other hotel affiliated timeshares is the lack of that flexibility. Having such a high mf without flexibility seems like a lose lose situation.

Wyndham is another option. .but the quality is inconsistent.

In Orlando it is pretty easy to get a 2br for 150 a night or less at many resorts.. making paying almost 1100 in comitted mf a year unappealing. .unless of course you are doing 1br at a time in a lockoff. But even that pricing isn't perfect since those can be got for 100 a night or less.. again without any long term comittment.

Last edited: