• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally Going to Big Island Next Week

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
I always wanted to go to the Merrie Monarch. That will happen sometime.

I have twice planned vacations to the islands during Merrie Monarch so I could watch it on television. Not quite the same as being there but a great way to watch the competition every evening on a big TV at my hotel or condo. It is the same week every year so easy to plan around.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Where will your kids stay on both Oahu and Molokai, since your places are so small? Just thinking about logistics. But it's great that they both can visit at the same time! :)

Yep, we thought about this too, great point. When it was just my daughter coming, she is one of those that would sleep on a couch but we bought a nice queen air mattress that we will put in the living room on Oahu. And she knows how small our apartment is but she was fine with it. But now, since my son is coming too we had to make some changes. 4 people in this apartment on Oahu would be too much.

My daughter arrives on the 22nd and my son on the 24th. So my daughter will stay here with us and the day my son arrives the 24th will be the only night all four of us will be in the apartment on Oahu. The next morning, the 25th is when we go to Molokai.

Molokai is not nearly as bad. Our condo is much larger with enough regular furniture to seat us all. We have enough seating for us all on the lanai also. Plus we have a queen bed in the bedroom and a queen sleeper in the living room. The sleeper is brand new with a nice foam mattress so it pretty comfortable so they will be fine.

Then we come back to Oahu on Monday the 27th. So I got them a condo at Island Colony. It’s only a half a block away from our apartment. I got that until the Friday my son leaves and then my daughter will stay back with us for two more nights. It costed $500 but I know we’ll be more comfortable. On Molokai, our condo is the same size as the condos at the Pono Kai on Kauai and we all stayed there for a week one year so we’ll be fine for a couple days. I’ll be driving them around the island during the day anyway.

So that’s our plan. I can wait until they get here to see our places. It’s going to be fun since it’s so different that what we had before.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have twice planned vacations to the islands during Merrie Monarch so I could watch it on television. Not quite the same as being there but a great way to watch the competition every evening on a big TV at my hotel or condo. It is the same week every year so easy to plan around.

I think this will be what I will do this year. Unless I can plan another work trip around then.:ponder::);)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jeff, I sure have enjoyed reading how you've retooled your life to be just the way you imagined it. Lots and lots of people say, 'what if' or 'Gee, I wish', or
'if I was rich', and even though you folks are just 'regular' working people, you've made it happen!

Congratulations seems like too small a word for what you have accomplished. A LOT of TUGgers are living vicariously through you.

Jim

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We always enjoy having our adult kids visit. Next weekend DS is going to visit and DD and SIL live close by so we will see them all. Not the Hawaiian adventure but Florida .
Silentg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, I sure have enjoyed reading how you've retooled your life to be just the way you imagined it. Lots and lots of people say, 'what if' or 'Gee, I wish', or
'if I was rich', and even though you folks are just 'regular' working people, you've made it happen!

Congratulations seems like too small a word for what you have accomplished. A LOT of TUGgers are living vicariously through you.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that!!

After going through this whole thing, I will say that everything really depends on how you handle things. I for one don’t stress over things. I roll with problems and find humor in instances that can cause a lot of stress to others. I was very surprised how well my wife dealt with everything too. Sometimes she can get stressed but she took everything in stride and since she has been here, she has even commented on how much less stress she feels here.

We have been married 35 years and people get set in there ways and get used to having things a certain way. You start to think you can’t live without the 3,000 sq/ft house or certain comforts. I always knew wouldn’t have an issue adjusting and I knew my wife would adjust but I am surprised how quickly my wife adjusted.

You are correct about us being working class average Joes. If we can do it anyone can. Just go with the flow and enjoy everything, even the things that go wrong because it’s a part of the adventure.

That’s why we are really looking forward to our kids coming. It will be fun to have them see us with all the changes we have been through.

I also have friends from Wisconsin coming this year in April and May. Plus my my nephew will be coming in September. I’ll be going to Maui to see them.

Not to mention, it’s fun watching the weather back in Wisconsin. I was talking to my son today and they are expecting about 20” through tomorrow. :cool:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We always enjoy having our adult kids visit. Next weekend DS is going to visit and DD and SIL live close by so we will see them all. Not the Hawaiian adventure but Florida .
Silentg

The older I get, the more I realize that it is special no matter where you are!! Enjoy!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cafe Pesto has always been our go-to when in Hilo at lunchtime. It's right on the waterfront, easy to find. Great sandwiches. They used to serve lilikoi iced tea that was great. (I've heard they no longer have it. Darn!)

If you can spare an hour, make sure to visit the Tsunami Museum in downtown Hilo. A sad but very informative event in Hilo's history.

Dave

I hope I have time to check out the museum, that is right up my alley.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
The next couple of weeks sound wonderful!! We'll be visiting Hilo as soon as you leave, so definitely post your food experiences! We won't have an expense account, but I'm sure we'll eat well just the same. Enjoy the upcoming time with your family all together!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The next couple of weeks sound wonderful!! We'll be visiting Hilo as soon as you leave, so definitely post your food experiences! We won't have an expense account, but I'm sure we'll eat well just the same. Enjoy the upcoming time with your family all together!!

Thank You. I will post pictures in this thread about the Big Island strip. I may start another one for when my kids are here.

Enjoy your time on the Big Island. I’d love to here about it.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds great! Glad that everyone can get along in close quarters. As long as no one is sleeping under the dining room table (as was typical with a former colleague's family's Thanksgiving gathering,) it's all good! I had nine under one roof for the first time at Christmas this year, and we're all still speaking to each other, LOL! :D

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have time to watch HGTV anymore, so these threads are my lifeblood, LOL! :)

And I do think it's awesome how everything aligned for you for this series of events to happen. Sometimes, good things do happen to good people.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Finally going to the last Hawaiian warehouse for work next week. It’s in Hilo so of course I am flying into the Hilo airport. I have been to the Big Island before but we stayed on the Kona side and also went up north to Paniolo Greens.

I’ll be there Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Of course I’ll be working so I won’t be able to get out too much. But it will be fun and I’m looking forward to it.

The warehouse is about a mile from the airport. Does any one know a good place for lunch around that area?

My wife and I are getting excited because our daughter will be visiting on the 22nd to the 1st. It’s her first time to Oahu. Then my son totally surprised us by saying he was thinking of visiting. He checked at work and got the time off so he will be here on the 24th through the 31st. So the whole family will be together for a week. :banana:

Since we don’t know when my son would ever come out again, we asked if he wanted to check out our condo on Molokai and he was up for it. We knew my daughter would go so we booked the tickets through Mokulele and we will be there for the weekend. We get there on Saturday and come back Monday. Just enough time for them to check out the condo and the island. Then they can compare Oahu to Molokai.:) I know my son is looking forward to seeing Oahu So they can still explore for most of the week.

They have only been to Kauai before and that was ten years ago. My son was younger and wanted more night life but my daughter liked it but she ran us ragged trying to do too much. I am taking a few days off so I’ll be at work some of the time but that will give them time to go off and enjoy themselves. My son even bought a new camera for the trip so I know he’s excited.

I know they will hike Diamond Head so I’ll post some his pictures when they are here.

Can’t wait, it will be fun!:cheer::banana::cool:

Slip,

I know you have been in Honolulu for months so you know that there has been an uptick in street crime. Perhaps you should alert your daughter to not to carry a hand bag with all the hand bag snatching incidents. I am going bagless and have gone to using an iwatch with my ID and credit card in a tight waist band pouch under my clothes. Your son may not want to carry a wallet with the important stuff since there has recently been a focused wallet hold up. My husband is carrying a dummy wallet with some cash and putting important stuff in his pockets or in a tight waist band pouch.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Slip,

I know you have been in Honolulu for months so you know that there has been an uptick in street crime. Perhaps you should alert your daughter to not to carry a hand bag with all the hand bag snatching incidents. I am going bagless and have gone to using an iwatch with my ID and credit card in a tight waist band pouch under my clothes. Your son may not want to carry a wallet with the important stuff since there has recently been a focused wallet hold up. My husband is carrying a dummy wallet with some cash and putting important stuff in his pockets or in a tight waist band pouch.

Yes, I will mention it to them when they get here. The recent uptick has unfortunately been focusing on the elderly. They are concentrating on the most vulnerable.

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope I have time to check out the museum, that is right up my alley.

Make sure they are open on the day you go. They were closed on the day I was at the location wasting time while in-laws did the Helicopter tour. (Already had done it in the past...we went to the top of Mauna Kea when they left instead.)
If you had time, the Panawea Rainforest Zoo is great too.

Sorry, no suggestions for food nearby, been too long!

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Yes, I will mention it to them when they get here. The recent uptick has unfortunately been focusing on the elderly. They are concentrating on the most vulnerable.

While the elderly are more vulnerable, women who are not too old have been pulled down by their pocketbook straps. I think most women are vulnerable and could be hurt with such a dangerous action. As far as the men, the most recent attack was a gun stickup where the perpetrator insisted upon getting the wallet. We are all very vulnerable to having a gun pulled on us even if we are packing.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Has the uptick in street crime been in the Waikiki area?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Make sure they are open on the day you go. They were closed on the day I was at the location wasting time while in-laws did the Helicopter tour. (Already had done it in the past...we went to the top of Mauna Kea when they left instead.)
If you had time, the Panawea Rainforest Zoo is great too.

Sorry, no suggestions for food nearby, been too long!

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did check the days and hours and I don’t think it will work. I’m usually pretty busy when I go to the other warehouses so I can’t leave early.

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has the uptick in street crime been in the Waikiki area?

It has been all over but a large part has been in Waikiki. There was even one in broad daylight in the Ala Moana parking lot. Many have been coordinated with a get away car pulls up to pick up the person who takes purses or bags away from the elderly.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuhio Grille won out only because it was only a block from the warehouse. It’s just what I was looking for. I’m getting the Pork/Beef Laulau combo.

4622FADF-4F63-4AB8-8118-36F57E82B585.jpeg
6C9BF7C6-AF83-4D09-9DA5-0DE192840FF4.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Hilo warehouse is just behind the strip mall that the Kuhio Grille is in. I have to stay and see night crew for a little while so dinner will be later. We’ll see if I feel like going anywhere.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Don’t get better than this!!

39A88C1A-AEF8-4271-96D9-DAD6B45FB2E4.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Long day, just getting dinner now and staying at the hotel again. I will have time for lunch somewhere different tomorrow.

This hotel has a ton of Kim Taylor Reece photos. I have always loved her shots. There are different ones on each floor and all over the hotel. Here are a few.

033DF75F-E093-492D-9A5D-5CFE92B629FB.jpeg
2C0EF8F3-C46C-4EDA-9708-BFE7B7891D35.jpeg
A11E924A-D8DF-4DF8-880A-90474DA6DD6E.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I passed Ken’s house of pancakes so I know where that is now. I am going to go to Hawaiian Style cafe for lunch today. Leaving now.

Last edited: