• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finally Going to Big Island Next Week

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Finally going to the last Hawaiian warehouse for work next week. It’s in Hilo so of course I am flying into the Hilo airport. I have been to the Big Island before but we stayed on the Kona side and also went up north to Paniolo Greens.

I’ll be there Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Of course I’ll be working so I won’t be able to get out too much. But it will be fun and I’m looking forward to it.

The warehouse is about a mile from the airport. Does any one know a good place for lunch around that area?

My wife and I are getting excited because our daughter will be visiting on the 22nd to the 1st. It’s her first time to Oahu. Then my son totally surprised us by saying he was thinking of visiting. He checked at work and got the time off so he will be here on the 24th through the 31st. So the whole family will be together for a week. :banana:

Since we don’t know when my son would ever come out again, we asked if he wanted to check out our condo on Molokai and he was up for it. We knew my daughter would go so we booked the tickets through Mokulele and we will be there for the weekend. We get there on Saturday and come back Monday. Just enough time for them to check out the condo and the island. Then they can compare Oahu to Molokai.:) I know my son is looking forward to seeing Oahu So they can still explore for most of the week.

They have only been to Kauai before and that was ten years ago. My son was younger and wanted more night life but my daughter liked it but she ran us ragged trying to do too much. I am taking a few days off so I’ll be at work some of the time but that will give them time to go off and enjoy themselves. My son even bought a new camera for the trip so I know he’s excited.

I know they will hike Diamond Head so I’ll post some his pictures when they are here.

Can’t wait, it will be fun!:cheer::banana::cool:

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds great Slip! It is always a project getting adult kids all on Island at the same time. Enjoy!
Hilo is great, we'll be there in time for Merrie Monarch again this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I can recommend Hawaiian Style Cafe in Hilo. We go to the one in Waimea. Same menu - local food at a reasonable price. Enjoy your time in Hilo. The Wednesday Farmers market is also worth exploring.

Also Ken's House of Pancakes is another local, popular place.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I
Sounds great Slip! It is always a project getting adult kids all on Island at the same time. Enjoy!
Hilo is great, we'll be there in time for Merrie Monarch again this year.

I always wanted to go to the Merrie Monarch. That will happen sometime.

Work pits me up at the DoubleTree NaniLoa. It’s about 2 miles from the warehouse. It should be a good trip. I hope the trades calm down a bit. Really windy here on Oahu and we’ve had quite a bit of rain too.

It’s been 10 years since we have all been together on a vacation so yes it’s definitely hard to do. Especially here in Hawaii. Strange that the last time was also to Hawaii.:)

Reactions: Xan

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can recommend Hawaiian Style Cafe in Hilo. We go to the one in Waimea. Same menu - local food at a reasonable price. Enjoy your time in Hilo. The Wednesday Farmers market is also worth exploring.

Thanks Luanne!! You haven’t steered me wrong yet. That sounds perfect, a plate lunch would be great. Hope it’s close.:thumbup:

Ohh the menu looks great!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaiian Style Cafe is only 1.4 miles from the warehouse so it’s perfect. Mahalo!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Also Ken's House of Pancakes is another local, popular place.

Another good one with Ken’s!! Wednesday is Prime Rib night and it’s on work so that’s even better.:cool:

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our absolute favourite in Hilo is a Thai place called Tina's Garden. I'm not sure if you're a mochi fan, but Two Ladies Kitchen is absolutely the best. Good luck avoiding funny looks from your accounting department if you decide to expense a mochi lunch though.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our absolute favourite in Hilo is a Thai place called Tina's Garden. I'm not sure if you're a mochi fan, but Two Ladies Kitchen is absolutely the best. Good luck avoiding funny looks from your accounting department if you decide to expense a mochi lunch though.

These expenses go through Houston so that maybe good.:ROFLMAO:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We visited family living in Hilo recently and they took us to Kuhio Grille for lunch, home of the 1lb Laulau. A favorite of locals in the back of Prince Kuhio shopping plaza. Right next to Yogurtland if you have room for dessert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What a great chance to enjoy time together! Have fun!

Looking forward to the pictures,

Dave

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha Slip. You'll be staying at Merrie Monarch central! The Naniloa is the place to be during Merrie Monarch. But you do not have to be on Island to enjoy the hula, the competition is on tv every evening throughout the islands. It's always a moving target on the calendar, the Festival begins Easter Sunday. Enjoy.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
coconut grill, it was quirky, had a interesting vibe, food was good and view was good.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
+1 for Cafe Pesto. I'm still heartbroken they closed the one on the other side of the island.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We visited family living in Hilo recently and they took us to Kuhio Grille for lunch, home of the 1lb Laulau. A favorite of locals in the back of Prince Kuhio shopping plaza. Right next to Yogurtland if you have room for dessert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That looks good too and I love Laulau! Mahalo!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know where the airport is, but I recommend Cafe Pesto in downtown Hilo.

I’ll check it out. I don’t think the warehouse is too far from downtown Hilo.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha Slip. You'll be staying at Merrie Monarch central! The Naniloa is the place to be during Merrie Monarch. But you do not have to be on Island to enjoy the hula, the competition is on tv every evening throughout the islands. It's always a moving target on the calendar, the Festival begins Easter Sunday. Enjoy.

I still want to go sometime. That will be great on tv though. I used to find some of it on YouTube.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Cafe Pesto has always been our go-to when in Hilo at lunchtime. It's right on the waterfront, easy to find. Great sandwiches. They used to serve lilikoi iced tea that was great. (I've heard they no longer have it. Darn!)

If you can spare an hour, make sure to visit the Tsunami Museum in downtown Hilo. A sad but very informative event in Hilo's history.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I’ll check it out. I don’t think the warehouse is too far from downtown Hilo.
Nothing is really very far apart in Hilo. The airport is close to town. Don't know where your warehouse is though. :cool:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Nothing is really very far apart in Hilo. The airport is close to town. Don't know where your warehouse is though. :cool:

Yep. If you have a car, it's all easy.

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.12.28 AM.png

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yep. If you have a car, it's all easy.

View attachment 16205

Great, I will have a car and the warehouse is only a mile and a half from the airport. I just wanted something close for lunch. For dinner I won’t have a time constraint.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where will your kids stay on both Oahu and Molokai, since your places are so small? Just thinking about logistics. But it's great that they both can visit at the same time! :)