• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fighting Covid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why does "Fauci says we should practice COVID mitigation measures during our Thanksgiving gatherings" equate to "Fauci doesn't think we should practice COVID mitigation measures anywhere/anytime other than our Thanksgiving gatherings" in your mind? In fact he hasn't ever backed off of his learned guidance of masking, testing, vaccinating and social distancing anytime/anywhere there's a risk of transmission, and this isn't the first time that he's offered guidance specific to expected gatherings. He was speaking two days prior to Thanksgiving; why wouldn't he mention Thanksgiving?!
If Covid mitigations require testing for a "risk of transmission" then wouldn't we be testing on a daily basis? Most people aren't sheltering in place at this point. There is a risk of transmission by living life.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahh, Thanksgiving -- that special time of the year when the one conspiracy dingbat relative infects the entire family because "this disease is all a big government hoax!"

Watch the Macy's parade, football, and pass around the 'Rona -- just like old times.
And there we go -- calling people you don't like "dingbats".

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
If Covid mitigations require testing for a "risk of transmission" then wouldn't we be testing on a daily basis? Most people aren't sheltering in place at this point. There is a risk of transmission by living life.
Well, I would actually prefer that the risk (regardless of how minimal it may be) and testing suggestions be mentioned routinely through regular channels for as long as COVID is circulating, but I think we all know the reasons why that's not happening. So, if those who are in public positions instead take advantage of occasional situations to remind us, I appreciate that. I certainly don't understand objecting to the timely suggestion that people test before attending Thanksgiving gatherings, presuming that these social gatherings will mean being in close contact with some that we aren't regularly in contact with.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I would actually prefer that the risk (regardless of how minimal it may be) and testing suggestions be mentioned routinely through regular channels for as long as COVID is circulating, but I think we all know the reasons why that's not happening. So, if those who are in public positions instead take advantage of occasional situations to remind us, I appreciate that. I certainly don't understand objecting to the timely suggestion that people test before attending Thanksgiving gatherings, presuming that these social gatherings will mean being in close contact with some that we aren't regularly in contact with.
Happy Thanksgiving Sue and I truly do appreciate your thoughtful comments.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Happy Thanksgiving Sue and I truly do appreciate your thoughtful comments.
Same to you - hope you have your fill of your favorite Thanksgiving treats!

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
And there we go -- calling people you don't like "dingbats".

It's better than what I'd like to call the moon-hoaxers, flat-earthers, holocaust-deniers and similar. There are far more descriptive terms for such people.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
The colorful exchanges return. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. May it be safe, peaceful, and fun.

Reactions: Tia
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
It's better than what I'd like to call the moon-hoaxers, flat-earthers, holocaust-deniers and similar. There are far more descriptive terms for such people.

Don't hold back, let's hear it.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
And yesterday from Dr. Fauci. PLEASE test before the holiday gatherings.
I'm intrigued why the testing is relevant for holiday gatherings. What about going into the office? Getting into a car with others? A waiting area at the DMV? So many opportunities to test .

"When we're gathering at a family gathering for Thanksgiving, for Christmas, or for any other holiday as we get into the winter," Fauci said at the White House briefing room, "it makes sense that you might want to get a test that day before you come into a place in which you might be infected and spread it ... in order to protect."
Maybe because it was 2 days before holiday gatherings and if he listed every specific instance it would take a long time.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe because it was 2 days before holiday gatherings and if he listed every specific instance it would take a long time.
Seems like if you are someone who isn't housebound and has human interactions as a part of daily living then the guidance should be test daily.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like if you are someone who isn't housebound and has human interactions as a part of daily living then the guidance should be test daily.
hmmm

330 million tests a day......really. You do not understand that what you do is dependent on the amount of risk involved and taking a reasonable precaution for a riskier activity by no means implies it is appropriate all the time everywhere. But then when you want to denigrate someone that is the bogeyman in your mind common sense goes out the window.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
hmmm

330 million tests a day......really. You do not understand that what you do is dependent on the amount of risk involved and taking a reasonable precaution for a riskier activity by no means implies it is appropriate all the time everywhere. But then when you want to denigrate someone that is the bogeyman in your mind common sense goes out the window.
No - I do not understand how thanksgiving dinner is any riskier than me going to work. Or participating in a class. Or the myriad of other gatherings of people that are part of daily living.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - I do not understand how thanksgiving dinner is any riskier than me going to work. Or participating in a class. Or the myriad of other gatherings of people that are part of daily living.
Please show where he talked about that and advised against testing. Why do you put words in his mouth and then denigrate him for something he has never said. You have built a very big strawman here.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please show where he talked about that and advised against testing. Why do you put words in his mouth and then denigrate him for something he has never said. You have built a very big strawman here.
You're not understanding my point and I am not going to bother to explain it again. Have a blessed thanksgiving.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been going to work in a 50,000 square foot production facility non stop since Covid began, not testing at all and never caught covid there. So why bother testing on on specific Holiday? Maybee if one has a immune compromised older relative there than yes by all means test. Happy thanksgiving TUG, enjoy and be safe out there.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't usually greet people in the supermarket or at clubhouse activities with hugs and kisses but I will greet my loved ones tomorrow with affection. I don't wear a mask in my home except when clients come for fittings - it wouldn't be good for me or a bride if either of us were unknowingly asymptomatic and infected the other. I don't routinely test every day but I have no problem doing it if it's required, like visiting my doctors' offices or my mil's LTC.

I think the reason you're taking some grief here is because your immediate response to Dr. Fauci's suggestion appeared to have everything to do with who was making the suggestion and nothing at all to do with the specifics of his suggestion. COVID hasn't magically disappeared. Thanksgiving gatherings ARE different from going in to work, and if someone other than Dr Fauci had been standing at that podium you might not have had the reaction you did have. Just something to think about.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been going to work in a 50,000 square foot production facility non stop since Covid began, not testing at all and never caught covid there. So why bother testing on on specific Holiday? Maybee if one has a immune compromised older relative there than yes by all means test. Happy thanksgiving TUG, enjoy and be safe out there.
I don't understand the "testing only makes sense if you're planning on hanging out with older or immune-compromised relatives" nonsense. I was 61, not old, not in a high-risk medical or weight group when I was infected by someone who willingly chose to attend a small gathering despite being asked by the host to stay away if symptomatic, and I'm still dealing with longterm effects. So spare me the righteous attitude that you're being careful when I know that none of us can be careful enough, but reasonable care isn't a bad thing. Masks and selective testing are and always have been reasonable pandemic mitigators.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a question. If you're one of the people who think that testing is unnecessary unless you know that you'll be in close contact with immune-compromised or other high-risk individuals, because the transmission risk is the same no matter what you're doing, do you test before traveling?

We're all pretty much back to traveling and testing/masking are pretty much no longer required, right? So, do you test before going to the airport? If not, is it because you think at-risk people aren't traveling alongside you, or is there another excuse that makes sense to you? Is anyone other than me still masking for air travel?

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wear a mask in crowds, airports and airplanes. Headed to Mexico soon. I understand they still have mask requirements in certain areas and situations. Oh well. The newer model N95’s and KN94’s are far more comfortable than the ones I wore in March of 2020.

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii

You hug and kiss your professors? Your co-workers? Interesting classrooms and offices you deal with, apparently.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question. If you're one of the people who think that testing is unnecessary unless you know that you'll be in close contact with immune-compromised or other high-risk individuals, because the transmission risk is the same no matter what you're doing, do you test before traveling?

We're all pretty much back to traveling and testing/masking are pretty much no longer required, right? So, do you test before going to the airport? If not, is it because you think at-risk people aren't traveling alongside you, or is there another excuse that makes sense to you? Is anyone other than me still masking for air travel?
Nope, and no masking period. Travelling new years week.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
You hug and kiss your professors? Your co-workers? Interesting classrooms and offices you deal with, apparently.
Covid is airborne. And remember social distancing --- we were doing all of that b/c Covid is transmitted by being in close proximity with others. It doesn't require hugging and kissing. What happened to the 6' rule?

Last edited:

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
You wish to wear some mask, by all means do so. Keep the personal condemnation of those that wish not to do so, to yourself. My concern, if any at all and as minimum as it is, is with the flu. Happy Thanksgiving. ;)

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
You wish to wear some mask, by all means do so. Keep the personal condemnation of those that wish not to do so, to yourself. My concern, if any at all and as minimum as it is, is with the flu. Happy Thanksgiving. ;)
Another strawman or you can show me where someone condemned someone for not wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.