• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fighting Covid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh. It’s another Covid holiday for our household. I’m so disappointed.

Our family of 4 was scheduled to fly out for a family vacation on Friday. I had “a bad cold”’ that started on Tuesday. So switched to wfh and tested negative on Tues and Wed nights. Husband came down with the same symptoms a day behind me.

So on Thursday afternoon, I suggested he just test to confirm that he is negative too since we were about 18 hours from our flight. But he wasn’t. So I tested again, and also positive.
Trip cancelled and college freshman heading to visit extended family for Thanksgiving.

At least we now have a use for the extra tests that are hanging around with December expirations.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume you would cancel your trip if you had the flu as well. If your test was negative, would you have gone? Just thinking out loud here. The two overlap with symptoms so much. Both are easily communicable. It is no fun to travel not feeling 100%. Even a bad cold - would people stay home? The aftermath of the pandemic probably has many folks really analyzing their travel plans everywhere and any time. Hope your symptoms remain mild and you have a nice Thanksgiving together.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Full disclosure, we would have worn masks on the flights, but would have not have cancelled our plans over a cold. We absolutely thought it was a regular cold and with another negative test we would have flown.
If there had been fever, chills, or additional flu symptoms would have re-evaluated.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Meanwhile, at the market in Carmel -- buying Brussels sprouts and Pliny the Elder -- someone demanded that masks aren't necessary.

"Hey, you've had Covid, right?"

Indeed he had.

"What's it like? I've never had it."

And that got him to leave me alone.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, at the market in Carmel -- buying Brussels sprouts and Pliny the Elder -- someone demanded that masks aren't necessary.
Indeed he had.
Don’t get too cocky. Your time is coming. It will be the rare person who never gets it. Around here no one is wearing masks. (Well, 99% show their faces).

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
My time wearing masks and being thoughtful sure seems to be helping.
I agree with you. Covid has thankfully eluded my husband and I as well as most of our neighbors. We have gone to in-person concerts as well as traveled but being carefully distanced and wearing masks when appropriate has certainly helped. The scary time for us was in NY on NJ transit and NYC subways during rush hour 1 day after the city dropped the mask mandate. That trip also involved a week in Pacific Grove and a week in Austin.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check to see if your tests have extended time-
"The FDA has compiled a list of 23 different at-home COVID tests along with their most accurate and up-to-date expiration dates. The iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test, for example—the one sent via mail by the government—has an extended shelf life of 12 months. The FDA now says that if the box of that specific test has an expiration date of August 2022, you may now safely use it until February 2023."

At least we now have a use for the extra tests that are hanging around with December expirations.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
he scary time for us was in NY on NJ transit and NYC subways during rush hour 1 day after the city dropped the mask mandate.
Were you scared of riding public transit pre-Covid ?

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Were you scared of riding public transit pre-Covid ?

I commuted into NYC for 20+ years and did not have any issues with public trasporation other than constant delays on the LIRR. Since I was immunocompromised when travelling this time, I was trying to be extra careful. Getting Covid in the midst of a 3 state trip would have really been troublesome with our flights and accomodations.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I commuted into NYC for 20+ years and did not have any issues with public trasporation other than constant delays on the LIRR. Since I was immunocompromised when travelling this time, I was trying to be extra careful. Getting Covid in the midst of a 3 state trip would have really been troublesome with our flights and accomodations.
Understood.

There have been communicable illnesses prior to Covid.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope all of you rare people never get colds, flu, shingles, etc. Because if you do, you may get a whopper of a case if you have lived germ free for years. I think I got covid from my DH in the nursing home. I was wearing a mask. I hugged him on a Thursday morning and sat close to him for the visit. That evening I got a phone call that he was positive (his second time around, and a mild case). My symptoms appeared Sunday. Fatigue and cough for several days. Not a big deal. Now I have good antibodies for a while. It was worth it for that hug.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine wasn't worth it the first time, however I was on work training trip. Under your circumstances maybe it would have been.

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t get too cocky. Your time is coming. It will be the rare person who never gets it. Around here no one is wearing masks. (Well, 99% show their faces).

True - DH just was confirmed with Covid. 1st time he has it. Has all vacs except the last one. Bad part is that he had a medical procedure slated for 11/29 which he probably won't be able to have. He has surgery scheduled for 12/8 to remove a cancerous tumor from near his lung. We are hoping that will still hapen.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn’t catch from my husband when he got it in nursing home. I have been terribly sick with a respiratory infection, this is the third week, but it’s not COVID. I have been very sick several times since COVID hit, but never tested positive for COVID.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I hope all of you rare people never get colds, flu, shingles, etc.

I took the shingles vaccine (at the same time as flu and a covid booster). So I probably won't get shingles. And even when the flu shot doesn't give me immunity, it still reduces symptoms that it's a couple days in bed, watching movies and drinking juice.

I've already beaten the odds -- because I managed to not get the early, more debilitating strains which caused more long-haul covid. Medical articles I have read suggest that the longer we Covid-dodgers hold out, the better our outcome will be should we ever catch it.

I also haven't had the common cold or anything else since the pandemic started. It's been a welcome change.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

Indeed he had.

I have never understood why some people feel compelled to harass mask wearers. Just mind your own business.

There is a small but solid group of people that were masks at may work. I choose not to wear one in most situations, but still do wear one occasionally.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

My wife has been immuno-suppressed since receiving a transplant 20+ years back. Unfortunately she has gotten sick while traveling somewhat regularly, and was wearing masks one planes and subways years before the pandemic...

Nothing like searching for medical help in a foreign country to add some excitement to your vacation..

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I have never understood why some people feel compelled to harass mask wearers.

I could tell you precisely why they do. And I could use some choice words to do it. But it would just get removed. So there isn't much point. People who can read between the lines can figure it out.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never gotten chicken pox, completed 2 doses of chicken pox vaccine, twice, and I still have no immunity. Hence, I am not eligible for shingles vaccine since I have never gotten chicken pox. Doctor's advice: Stay the hell away from anyone with chicken pox or shingles

I am on a second tier anti-histamine medication since 2018 which has anti-viral effect. I have not gotten a cold, flu or COVID since I went on this drug. I am also fully vaccinated with the COVID vaccine, all of 5 doses. I got a feeling I will not get COVID down the line, as long as I remain on this drug.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope all of you rare people never get colds, flu, shingles, etc. Because if you do, you may get a whopper of a case if you have lived germ free for years. I think I got covid from my DH in the nursing home. I was wearing a mask. I hugged him on a Thursday morning and sat close to him for the visit. That evening I got a phone call that he was positive (his second time around, and a mild case). My symptoms appeared Sunday. Fatigue and cough for several days. Not a big deal. Now I have good antibodies for a while. It was worth it for that hug.
I worked in a pediatric office and elementary schools for 25 years and was rarely sick. I like to think those offices kept my immunity up. So not germ free.

Status
Not open for further replies.