• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fighting Covid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I took the shingles vaccine (at the same time as flu and a covid booster). So I probably won't get shingles. And even when the flu shot doesn't give me immunity, it still reduces symptoms that it's a couple days in bed, watching movies and drinking juice.
I've already beaten the odds -- because I managed to not get the early, more debilitating strains which caused more long-haul covid. Medical articles I have read suggest that the longer we Covid-dodgers hold out, the better our outcome will be should we ever catch it.
I also haven't had the common cold or anything else since the pandemic started. It's been a welcome change.
A lot probably does have much to do with our normal body resistance. Yes, the early covid was the worst. I’ve never had the flu shot or the flu. And I go years between colds. Can’t remember when the last one was. For most people these days, covid is a couple days in bed, if that. There are always the few that get seriously ill with any virus. I was surprised that with the covid uptick in late summer, the nursing home residents weathered it quite well. It was mostly a nuisance.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
It may be that susceptibility to any illnesses has some heredity contribution. It's been said that genetics loads the gun and environment pulls the trigger.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
HHS Report Recommends Mask Mandates for 'Long COVID'

The HHS report, produced by research agency Coforma and released Monday, calls for a broad range of government policies to help people who continue to deal with the lingering effects of COVID.

One short-term recommendation for the general public is: "Encourage or mandate policies and protocols regarding masking and social distancing in public spaces that protect people from infection or reinfection and possible Long COVID."

The report maintains that ending the mask mandate in late 2021 and 2022 is making it harder for people with long COVID.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
Who knows, either way!

We know there have been considerably more funerals the past two and a half years. If they were all heroin overdoses, people would be screaming that something be done about it.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Too bad the USA couldn’t work together to get through this like other countries did. Instead, we just blame each other…what else is new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You consider 1,100,000 US deaths a nuisance?
I’m talking about the protocol the staff had to observe, which even they admitted was ridiculous. Like moving two people from Room A to Room B for quarantine. The Room B residents moved to Room A. They were next door to each other. You yourself said the early cases of covid were the most deadly. We are far enough along now with medical intervention and weakened strains so covid is not a death sentence. Geesh.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
But yet, HHS is considering a return to mandating masks which may inevitably lead to other infringements, all in the name of "Long COVID". Not to mention what may soon be, Extra Long COVID.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
But yet, HHS is considering a return to mandating masks which may inevitably lead to other infringements, all in the name of "Long COVID". Not to mention what may soon be, Extra Long COVID.
And yesterday from Dr. Fauci. PLEASE test before the holiday gatherings.
I'm intrigued why the testing is relevant for holiday gatherings. What about going into the office? Getting into a car with others? A waiting area at the DMV? So many opportunities to test .

"When we're gathering at a family gathering for Thanksgiving, for Christmas, or for any other holiday as we get into the winter," Fauci said at the White House briefing room, "it makes sense that you might want to get a test that day before you come into a place in which you might be infected and spread it ... in order to protect."

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do think Long Covid has been associated with the initial COVID variant. Recent infections appear to behave more like a bad case of cold and people recover from them without long term effects. A friend of mine who caught COVID early on is showing significant signs of dementia and she is only 60 years old. Her case was so bad that she had difficulty breathing and walking 2 streets down, long after she recovered. We restarted card game about a month ago, and she has lost significant weight and her memory is shot. We worry about her and this is the only person in our inner circle of friends where we see the effects of Long COVID.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I’m talking about the protocol the staff had to observe, which even they admitted was ridiculous. Like moving two people from Room A to Room B for quarantine. The Room B residents moved to Room A. They were next door to each other. You yourself said the early cases of covid were the most deadly. We are far enough along now with medical intervention and weakened strains so covid is not a death sentence. Geesh.

The reason for the protocols is because so many people died. Don't know why that's so hard for others to wrap their heads around.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How are you doing? First time seeing you in this forum in a while!
Thanks, I'm good! Learning to live with the lasting effects of my bout with COVID eleven months ago, expecting to be dealing with it for a long time, VERY envious of people who can be so nonchalant about it that they assert it's no longer an issue.

It is.

Put a mask on.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And yesterday from Dr. Fauci. PLEASE test before the holiday gatherings.
I'm intrigued why the testing is relevant for holiday gatherings. What about going into the office? Getting into a car with others? A waiting area at the DMV? So many opportunities to test .

"When we're gathering at a family gathering for Thanksgiving, for Christmas, or for any other holiday as we get into the winter," Fauci said at the White House briefing room, "it makes sense that you might want to get a test that day before you come into a place in which you might be infected and spread it ... in order to protect."
What's the harm in testing before you gather in people's homes? If I were hosting I'd ask people to test and not come over if they test positive. We're invited to my sister's home with 8 others and I plan to test in the morning, just in case.

I'd be testing anyway because we'll be visiting Don's mom in a LTC facility, where we are still required to mask.

It hasn't ever made sense to me that people think not testing and not masking is an intelligent response to a pandemic.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think the testing for gathering is more relevant if you have vulnerable guests you are hosting or visiting. I imagine you care a little more about not spreading it to grandpa than you do to some random vulnerable person at the dmv but if you don't than feel free to put them at an additional risk. Every time free tests were offered by mail we took advantage plus my son was given free tests to take home from school. We probably received about 16 free tests and have used 5. I don't test if I am asymptomatic to go to work but I do test and have my children test, when they are feeling poorly with any covid like symptoms.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It hasn't ever made sense to me that people think not testing and not masking is an intelligent response to a pandemic.

This is especially true for those who haven’t received the boosters, especially the latest bivalent booster. As of Oct 21, a majority of those dying from Covid were vaccinated or boosted.

It’s still true that vaccinated groups are at a lower risk of dying from a covid-19 infection than the unvaccinated when the data is adjusted for age. An analysis released by the CDC last week underscores the protection that additional booster shots offer against severe illness and death as immunity wanes.

Let’s take a look at deaths in August, when the highly contagious BA.5 variant reached its peak:

That month, unvaccinated people aged 6 months and older died at about six times the rate of those who had received their primary series of shots.

People with one booster dose were even better protected. Unvaccinated people over the age of 5 had about 8 times the risk of dying from a coronavirus infection than those who received a booster shot.

Among individuals who were eligible to receive additional booster shots, the gap is even more striking. Unvaccinated people 50 and up had 12 times the risk of dying from covid-19 than adults the same age with two or more booster doses.

So, if anyone reading this hasn’t received the latest boosters, you should consider protecting yourself and wear a mask. Of course, anyone can get Covid and wearing a mask minimizes that risk for all, so it’s only prudent to wear masks when inside or in a crowded environment. But then, we’ve known this for years and yet some still don’t believe it…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's the harm in testing before you gather in people's homes? If I were hosting I'd ask people to test and not come over if they test positive. We're invited to my sister's home with 8 others and I plan to test in the morning, just in case.

I'd be testing anyway because we'll be visiting Don's mom in a LTC facility, where we are still required to mask.

No harm at all. Just not sure why if we are going to go down this testing path for a holiday gathering, how is that different than other gatherings of people? What's special about T-giving?

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
"As of Oct 21, a majority of those dying from Covid were vaccinated or boosted."

As that's the case, I'll wish you good luck. ;)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No harm at all. Just not sure why if we are going to go down this testing path for a holiday gathering, how is that different than other gatherings of people? What's special about T-giving?
Why does "Fauci says we should practice COVID mitigation measures during our Thanksgiving gatherings" equate to "Fauci doesn't think we should practice COVID mitigation measures anywhere/anytime other than our Thanksgiving gatherings" in your mind? In fact he hasn't ever backed off of his learned guidance of masking, testing, vaccinating and social distancing anytime/anywhere there's a risk of transmission, and this isn't the first time that he's offered guidance specific to expected gatherings. He was speaking two days prior to Thanksgiving; why wouldn't he mention Thanksgiving?!

Last edited:

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Ahh, Thanksgiving -- that special time of the year when the one conspiracy dingbat relative infects the entire family because "this disease is all a big government hoax!"

Watch the Macy's parade, football, and pass around the 'Rona -- just like old times.

Status
Not open for further replies.