• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DVC moving to II effective Jan 1 2022 [MERGED]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That info I've seen over the years would suggest that is a combined number and it's been under 3% until fairly recently including with II before. Remember that other than those of us that own both DVC and other options, most people who own DVC aren't the typical timeshare owner and often don't even see themselves as actually owning a timeshare. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone post that they never saw themselves owning a timeshare but DVC was different. Most don't own DVC as a way to see the world, just to go to the parks. Even the non park resorts have a cult following. It's very common for DVC members to not be worried about the "cost" otherwise they likely wouldn't have bought DVC to start with. I've seen few posts over the years about people actually booking getaways with DVC. In my mind most that would book them already have access independently because they play both sides already.
So other than all those other timeshare systems affiliated with II being able to "sell the dream" of DVC and II being able to sell that to other potential affiliates, DVC really doesn't bring much if anything to the table for II. It doesn't sound like it is a big revenue earner for II and I doubt DVC is paying anything for the affiliation?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So other than all those other timeshare systems affiliated with II being able to "sell the dream" of DVC and II being able to sell that to other potential affiliates, DVC really doesn't bring much if anything to the table for II. It doesn't sound like it is a big revenue earner for II and I doubt DVC is paying anything for the affiliation?
Yes I think it's window dressing. There will be a few exchanges out and in but far less than most systems and really very little overall. II is at it's core a volume business and exchanging is actually a poor choice for most DVC members and most resorts. DVD may offer up some getaways at times, I know they did when they moved over ti RCI, but they won't likely be cheap.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
DVD may offer up some getaways at times, I know they did when they moved over ti RCI, but they won't likely be cheap.
doesn’t it specifically say they will not have any units available for getaways in their II guide?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
doesn’t it specifically say they will not have any units available for getaways in their II guide?
It says they will not be available for DVC members, this has always been the case that DVC members can't exchange back in to DVC using their DVC membership or purchase such getaways. The wording under 1. of Special exchange services is not a general statement. DVC used RCI to dispose of a significant amount of inventory when they move over and some thought this was a large part of the reason they changed at the time. Realistically there likely won't be much or any and if there is, it will be expensive, probably double or more the highest prices one normally sees for MVC resorts.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It seems like the comparatively tiny population of TUGgers is not representative of DVCers as a whole, just as TUGgers aren't representative of any of the bodies of ownership of the various systems. An experienced DVCer TUGger being interested in getaways is not indicative of DVC owners as a whole thinking the same way.
I agree to a certain extent. However, most DVC members were never able to book short stay getaways in Orlando via RCI. Now they can and most likely will since they have access Marriott and Sheraton units. It’s a great add on to their DVC stays and will ultimately allow them to have multiple inexpensive trips to the house of mouse. DVC members make up a huge portion of TS owners traveling to Orlando. Even the smallest amount will have a huge impact on competition.

On the exchange side, I’d estimate there will be an increase in DVC’ers exchanging into interval than there were with RCI. The exchange situation is a non issue. More DVC deposits into interval is good for all interval members. It’s the cash bookings in Orlando that will be added onto their point stays is what will create more getaway competition. More competition will drive orlando getaway prices up.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Orlando Getaways are going to go up in price. I'm waiting for Marriotts for late May / early June which has historically been pretty cheap. However, I may pull the trigger and book Sheraton Vistana.

Getaways have been so cheap that my brother booked a getaway in Orlando and stayed just one night because for his family it was cheaper than anything else that was available. It was nice too that he got to stay late at the resort on the day of their flight (because their week ended the day after their flight). He loved it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have a feeling that Orlando Getaways are going to go up in price. I'm waiting for Marriotts for late May / early June which has historically been pretty cheap. However, I may pull the trigger and book Sheraton Vistana.

Getaways have been so cheap that my brother booked a getaway in Orlando and stayed just one night because for his family it was cheaper than anything else that was available. It was nice too that he got to stay late at the resort on the day of their flight (because their week ended the day after their flight). He loved it.
Get that getaway alert going now. Interval really screwed us by allowing DVC members to book getaways in Orlando. Looks like I’m keeping my RCI points. I’ll do better with worldmark at reunion via points plus exchange fee than a getaway in interval.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I think we are the outliers in the Timeshare world. Most people can only vacation 2-4 weeks a year. Not many people can go as often and as long as we do.

dvc2012

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC AKL, DVC SSR, DVC GFV, CW Bali Hai
So RCI had Extra Vacations and Last Call - but II just has "Getaways"? Extra Vacations had a wide variety of price, but Last Call were locked in to specific prices. Does Getaways fluctuate the closer you get to the check-in date? Someone above mentioned Vistana for Sept 2022 and another poster said the price was actually high for September and that it's usually lower. Does this mean the price is fluid for these getaways in II?

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
really happy about the getaways portion in Orlando

When I'm actually going to WDW then I'm only doing that onsite. If I just want to relax then adding a few nights at a nearby resort could be nice.

at least now I can avoid using DVC points for when we head to universal sea world ect… @CPNY & @dioxide45 - I promise this will be used only w/last minute reservations ;)

has anyone figured out if this is some sort of corporate membership-
meaning can I drop non DVC units in this membership?

also - it shows 2 options for membership from what I can see - is gold an upgrade? an upgrade we need/should purchase? I am waiting on 2 tiny contracts that were purchased before the switch intended on enrolling in II specifically for getaways. I was planning on trying out the platinum for 1st year…trying to figure out if I still need a separate account…

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

at least now I can avoid using DVC points for when we head to universal sea world ect…
So what you’re saying is that more DVC members will be booking orlando getaways to extend their trips and save their DVC points? Interesting, I guess I wasn’t wrong lol

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
So what you’re saying is that more DVC members will be booking orlando getaways to extend their trips and save their DVC points? Interesting, I guess I wasn’t wrong lol

can’t say I am in the majority of DVC owners- I not only acknowledge parks outside the bubble but frequently enjoy them enough to own annual passes…In the bubble stays will remain in the bubble…

****note to all waiting on new upgrade devices so please excuse any auto correct nonsense - this old iPad just isn’t playing well anymore ****

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

at least now I can avoid using DVC points for when we head to universal sea world ect… @CPNY & @dioxide45 - I promise this will be used only w/last minute reservations ;)

has anyone figured out if this is some sort of corporate membership-
meaning can I drop non DVC units in this membership?

also - it shows 2 options for membership from what I can see - is gold an upgrade? an upgrade we need/should purchase? I am waiting on 2 tiny contracts that were purchased before the switch intended on enrolling in II specifically for getaways. I was planning on trying out the platinum for 1st year…trying to figure out if I still need a separate account…
The DVC II membership is a corporate membership and you access it through your DVC account, not through an II login. For non DVC resorts, you will need to establish a separate II account and pay the regular $99 membership fee for those.

It seems like DVC II membership comes with II Gold membership automatically. This allows for shortstay exchange, short stay Getaways, discounts on getaways and other perks. Since you also have a new II account due to DVC, they are extending the new member $25 getaway discount on top of the $25 Gold member discount. There was another brand that provided the same (DRI maybe). When they wanted to upgrade to Platinum, I think they had to pay the full Platinum upgrade fee.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
The DVC II membership is a corporate membership and you access it through your DVC account, not through an II login. For non DVC resorts, you will need to establish a separate II account and pay the regular $99 membership fee for those.

It seems like DVC II membership comes with II Gold membership automatically. This allows for shortstay exchange, short stay Getaways, discounts on getaways and other perks. Since you also have a new II account due to DVC, they are extending the new member $25 getaway discount on top of the $25 Gold member discount. There was another brand that provided the same (DRI maybe). When they wanted to upgrade to Platinum, I think they had to pay the full Platinum upgrade fee.
Thanks

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Some of you seem to believe that exchanges into DVC are unicorns. RCI had huge inventory. Remember, as Denise M always says, what you are seeing online is leftovers after exchange requests are fulfilled. RCI Points inventory sat online, but I believe RCI had the power to change that inventory back to weeks to satisfy ongoing search requests because I had ongoing requests match and would check for different check-in days for that week in Points, rarely did I see inventory there for the week I matched.

Further proof that RCI had huge inventory was the extreme number of DVC week rentals on Redweek and ebay. I couldn't believe how many people were renting dates. Some guy named Vacationbooker on ebay had dozens of weeks at once. When I asked him about it, he said he works for RCI and those rules don't apply to him. I knew they were exchanges by the $190 fee in the ads.

I always got what I wanted from ongoing searches, except October, November and December. Those are the tough ones.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Some of you seem to believe that exchanges into DVC are unicorns. RCI had huge inventory. Remember, as Denise M always says, what you are seeing online is leftovers after exchange requests are fulfilled. RCI Points inventory sat online, but I believe RCI had the power to change that inventory back to weeks to satisfy ongoing search requests because I had ongoing requests match and would check for different check-in days for that week in Points, rarely did I see inventory there for the week I matched.

Further proof that RCI had huge inventory was the extreme number of DVC week rentals on Redweek and ebay. I couldn't believe how many people were renting dates. Some guy named Vacationbooker on ebay had dozens of weeks at once. When I asked him about it, he said he works for RCI and those rules don't apply to him. I knew they were exchanges by the $190 fee in the ads.

I always got what I wanted from ongoing searches, except October, November and December. Those are the tough ones.
Agreed, which is why I’m not thrilled about the move to II. Interval is too secretive on what is good enough to score an exchange. There was plenty of DVC availability in RCI

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Agreed, which is why I’m not thrilled about the move to II. Interval is too secretive on what is good enough to score an exchange. There was plenty of DVC availability in RCI
But it will all become very obvious as soon as the inventory hits II. We can do some trade tests with various units. I have a week at Blue Ridge Village (week 23, 2 bedroom) in North Carolina, and I am relatively certain it will pull Disney, which would be great because the fees have skyrocketed on that week. I am pretty bitter about Bluegreen taking over. The place was not a dump when they took over, but they say the fees had to increase for bad debt. So people aren't paying the $1,134 in fees you are charging now, Bluegreen, for something that was $844 just three years ago? What a shock!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not really. It's a one-to-one exchange. SBP or SDO lockoffs should pull two DVC one bedrooms. I am counting on it. That is way better than RCI ever did for weeks. How many weeks were worth 45 TPU's in RCI? You had to use more than one average summer 2 bedroom unit to get a one bedroom DVC. It was robbery!

My Val Chatelle (silver crown) summer weeks were worth maybe 23-25 points. Those are basically 3 bedrooms with the loft area. I had to use two of those to get one DVC one bedroom. For a while, the one bedrooms were a ridiculous 59 points. This is why my RCI Points were used up every year, while my weeks TPU's just kept building up. I have a ridiculous number of TPU's in RCI. I mean ridiculous.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Not really. It's a one-to-one exchange. SBP or SDO lockoffs should pull two DVC one bedrooms. I am counting on it. That is way better than RCI ever did for weeks. How many weeks were worth 45 TPU's in RCI? You had to use more than one average summer 2 bedroom unit to get a one bedroom DVC. It was robbery!

My Val Chatelle (silver crown) summer weeks were worth maybe 23-25 points. Those are basically 3 bedrooms with the loft area. I had to use two of those to get one DVC one bedroom. For a while, the one bedrooms were a ridiculous 59 points. This is why my RCI Points were used up every year, while my weeks TPU's just kept building up. I have a ridiculous number of TPU's in RCI. I mean ridiculous.
Will they? Idk, I have a feeling a two bedroom will pull a one bedroom

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will they? Idk, I have a feeling a two bedroom will pull a one bedroom
Better than 2 two bedrooms to get a one bedroom. II will be great for me.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

Aviator621

TUG Member
Reaction score

Were any of those matches 2 bedrooms? That is our sticky wicket--I currently see a one bedroom SSR for the week they want but with a family of 5 (3 teens) way too tight. We just put in an ongoing request for a 2 bedroom (Using a 2 bedroom exchange) but debating just grabbing a Lakeshore Reserve or 3 bedroom Grand Vista and calling it a day.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were any of those matches 2 bedrooms? That is our sticky wicket--I currently see a one bedroom SSR for the week they want but with a family of 5 (3 teens) way too tight. We just put in an ongoing request for a 2 bedroom (Using a 2 bedroom exchange) but debating just grabbing a Lakeshore Reserve or 3 bedroom Grand Vista and calling it a day.
You could always hope for a retrade into a 2 bedroom at Disney. Lakeshore Reserve is great. Our daughters-in-law, both of them, would rather stay at Marriott. They love the Disney "magic" but both of them are stuck on Marriott quality (I totally get it!).

I think my need for Disney stems from the jealousy I felt when others were getting Disney via exchange and I was using my Disney points to book a few nights here and there and ran out of the points quickly. When I found out Foxrun traded into Disney, I was in hog heaven. Then I bought Sheraton Broadway Plantation, and those also traded into Disney.

We have AP's every year.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
In RCI, no, not since around 2014-15. The general RCI population only had 1BR DVC units available via exchange for the last 7 years or so. Now, there was a very special relationship with Welk resorts, and that small subset owners did have 2BR units available for exchange - so I suppose it's possible that with the move to II, that small number of 2BRs may become available in some way in II. But for almost all owners/exchanges, 2BR units were not on the table.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just put in an ongoing request for a 2 bedroom (Using a 2 bedroom exchange) but debating just grabbing a Lakeshore Reserve or 3 bedroom Grand Vista and calling it a day.
I will be very surprised if DVCMC suddenly changes their deposit pattern just because of the move to II (and the June 1BR SSRs are exactly the sort of thing we'd've expected in RCI). That means 2BRs are probably not going to happen.

If you feel like taking your chances, you could keep an eye on the Marriott inventory for that week and grabbing one when they get sparse, but I suspect it's a fool's errand.