• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving LA to SF

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hi
What are the must see or do things when driving from LA to SF. Stops include San Luis Obisco, Montery and San Jose. Herst Castle and the Winchester House are the only planed visits so far.

Also, what is the age at Disney for free a free admission. It looks like under 3 years old are free as the tickets are for 3 through 9 age group.

Thanks
Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think the Winchester House is a waste of time and money - it's just a big rambling house - nothing more. I'd skip San Jose and spend more time in Monterey/Carmel or San Francisco. If you click on the link below my name and go to my San Francisco webpage I have a ton of ideas of things to see and do in the Bay Area.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I agree with Denise. More time in Monterey/Carmel and skip the Winchester Mystery House. I'd do the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Dennis the Menace Park, since it sounds like you have small children.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, we have the kids and grand kids whlie in Oceanside and Anaheim, but were ditching them and then wanted to visit Hollywood, Venice Beach, Hermosa Beach, San Luis, Monterey and then to SF.

Denise, I used your SF guide for our last trip to SF and it worked out great. When we get to SF were staying about 1 mile from the SF airport at the Marriott Courtyard because of the free parking. Should we drive into town or take public transportation.

Thanks
Bill,

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Denise, I used your SF guide for our last trip to SF and it worked out great. When we get to SF were staying about 1 mile from the SF airport at the Marriott Courtyard because of the free parking. Should we drive into town or take public transportation.

Thanks
Bill,

Not Denise, but I'd suggest taking public transportation into San Francisco, depending on where you want to go.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes, we have the kids and grand kids whlie in Oceanside and Anaheim, but were ditching them and then wanted to visit Hollywood, Venice Beach, Hermosa Beach, San Luis, Monterey and then to SF.

Thanks
Bill,

We never drive in SF - parking is too expensive. It is easier to take public transportation.

BTW - I wouldn't do Hearst Castle with little children. It's like touring a museum and the children will not be allowed to run around AT ALL. You will have to hold them, have them in a stroller, or by the hand at all times. I think it will be really boring and frustrating for them.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We never drive in SF - parking is too expensive. It is easier to take public transportation.

BTW - I wouldn't do Hearst Castle with little children. It's like touring a museum and the children will not be allowed to run around AT ALL. You will have to hold them, have them in a stroller, or by the hand at all times. I think it will be really boring and frustrating for them.

I wouldn't always say that. Sometimes the kids surprise you. My DH thought the same as you when I scheduled our trip when my children were 6, 11 & 12. He thought the boys would just be board to death and it would be a nightmare. But, I really wanted to go so I stuck to my guns. It turned out that the boys really enjoyed it. They were just as in awe about all of the "stuff" as we were. They loved looking at the pool and dreaming how they wanted a pool just like it at home. :rolleyes: After the tour was over we went down to the pier across the way and got out some extra energy before driving back to Santa Barbara. So think about it. You know your kids best. If you want to go- then go- I say. :hi:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We will have no kids or grandkids on this part of the trip. It sounds like Hearst Castle may be a bit boring for me but Marie wants to visit since she loves mueseums. She wants to visit the Winchester house too so you know what that means. I guess I can put up with these visits as she puts up with my fishing trips. Fair is fair.

What about the butterfly thing around San Luis, has anyone been there ?

Thanks
Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't always say that. Sometimes the kids surprise you. My DH thought the same as you when I scheduled our trip when my children were 6, 11 & 12.

By "little children" I meant preschoolers. I think older children would enjoy it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She wants to visit the Winchester house too so you know what that means. I guess I can put up with these visits as she puts up with my fishing trips.

At least let her know what it is - there are so many fabulous things to see in CA, that the Winchester Mystery house is really a waste of time. Really, it's just a big rambling house - that's all there is to it.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the butterfly thing around San Luis, has anyone been there ?
If you mean the park just south of Pismo Beach, yes I've been there and it's pretty cool. It's not a big park, but definitely worth a stop.
http://www.slostateparks.com/pismo_butterflys.asp

Then you can go into Pismo Beach for a meal, there are some pretty good seafood restaurants at reasonable prices - they compete for best clam chowder awards - served in a sourdough bowl.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highway One

Hi
What are the must see or do things when driving from LA to SF.
Thanks
Bill

Hearst Castle is a must see (my 7 year old grandkid enjoyed it with me a few months ago).

The food at the Madonna Inn is very good (coffe shop -moderate price) and the men love to pee in the waterfall in the men's bathroom. Very gaudy place - but fun. I haven't stayed in any of the rooms for many years, so they may be a bit aged, but they are each decorated in a different theme (such as the caveman room, with a waterfall shower). I ate in the restaurant as recently as August, so I can still recommend the food.

Consider taking Highway 1 from Montery to San Luis Obispo. A very scenic drive. It will take you some time to drive this road, but it is worth it. Great ocean views. We did it for the first time this summer - what a treat. Hearst Castle is situated on Highway 1.

When you take the 101 Freeway from San Luis you will find Santa Barbara about 1/2 the way to Los Angeles. It is one of the most beautiful cities (towns) in California. Great restaurants, a fun pier and other sights. Consider taking one of the hour long sailing trips from the Santa Barbara Harbor (you will see sea lions and dolphins). Santa Barbara Sailing Club offers a $10 per person one hour cruise. My grandkid really loved it. Here is their Website: http://www.sbsail.com/

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Another stop to consider is Morro Bay - a cute (but somewhat touristy) seaside town. Nice stop for lunch and a short walk around.

There are a number wineries in the San Luis Obispo area if you enjoy that type of thing.

Butterflies: very seasonal. Every time I've passed through the area there have been no butterflies in sight. If you are interested, you need to look up when the butterflies are in the area and where to go.

I second the vote for the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Loved it. Probably the best aquarium I've ever visited.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info. What about Sherman Oaks. My 2nd day in LA is in Sherman Oaks. Whats cool about this area ? anything ?

thanks

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for the info. What about Sherman Oaks. My 2nd day in LA is in Sherman Oaks. Whats cool about this area ? anything ?

thanks

Having grown up close to there I can honestly say there is nothing cool about the area. :hysterical:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am with Luanne on this one, Sherman Oaks is just a suburb of LA in the San Fernando Valley.

I do hear though that the new Topanga Mall is quite the thing to see in Canoga Park.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is Sherman Oaks located between Hollywood and Venice Beach ? Or is it a real nigtmare of a drive to these places from here ?

Thanks again

honeybunney

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Monterey Bay Aquarium and Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk over the 3-day weekend. The Aquarium is a MUST!!! Very informative during the feeding time for the big fishes in one of the biggest tank in the world and the scuba diver in the Kelp tank. Go to Monterey Seafood Restaurant for dinner. It was very good food for the price. Make reservation ahead of time. If your kids like rides, you can make a small detour to Santa Cruz. It's an amusement park by the beach. You can buy an unlimited ride bracelet or just buy the amount of tickets for the rides.

Winchester Mystery House would be wasted time.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Sherman Oaks located between Hollywood and Venice Beach ? Or is it a real nigtmare of a drive to these places from here ?

Thanks again

No, Sherman Oaks is in the Valley and is Northwest of Hollywood, and Venice Beach.

You can get from Sherman Oaks to Hollywood fairly easily on the 101 freeway.

An even prettier drive would be take one of the Canyon drives from Sherman Oaks into Beverly Hills. You could take Beverly Glen or Coldwater Canyon and avoid the freeway.

Simply do a google map of Sherman Oaks to Hollywood to see the routes.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Thanks again

Anywhere you drive in the Los Angeles area is a nightmare in my mind.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if LA is easier than Seattle where the traffic anywhere seems congested at certain times of day. I-5 is a drag from Everett to Olympia during the rush hours.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I wonder if LA is easier than Seattle where the traffic anywhere seems congested at certain times of day. I-5 is a drag from Everett to Olympia during the rush hours.

I don't think anything can be worse than the traffic in Los Angeles. Now to be truthful I haven't lived in Southern California in years, but I remember times of the day when you literally couldn't move. I've been on I-5 in the Seattle area, in fact between Seattle and Olympia, and although bad, nothing like Los Angeles.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out the first page of the Picture of the Day thread where we are doing some compaisons of LA traffic and this picture that Brian took http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=444595&postcount=7

That picture is Houston :eek:

Sure traffic in LA can be congested, but if you time it right you can miss traffic.

For example if you follow the 101 down to Hollywood, say after 10AM, you should get from Sherman Oaks to Hollywood in 20 minutes or less.

Just plan for traffic, and come to expect it, but there are times when it doesn't seem any worse than any large US city at rush hour. We just have lots more cars on the road at anyone time:D

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are times when LA traffic is bumper to bumper, but there is always traffic and it's hard to predict accidents etc. that can totally tie things up. Supposedly people in LA spend more time in traffic per year than anywhere else in the country. (Don't ask me where I heard or read that, please.)
Liz