• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving LA to SF

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I vote no again on Sherman Oaks

Were driving to San Francisco from LA after the kids and grandkids leave. With kids were doing disney and some other attractions. After they leave were staying at Marriott Courtyard in Sherman Oaks for a couple of days because it seemed that this location was in between Hollywood and Venice Beach. Now we are wondering if we should be staying in Hollywood one nite and Venice Beach one nite because of traffic. Thanks for the advice about Winchester House and the short cuts to Hollywood from Sherman Oaks.

You definitely do not want to stay in Sherman Oaks. That is North of both Hollywood and Venice Beach and you would have to drive at least 30 minutes South to get to Hollywood (with no traffic) and a good deal further to get to Venice Beach. Sherman Oaks doesn't give you anything special to see or do (its a residential and business area).

I don't know that I would want to stay in Hollywood. A little seamy even after the renovations.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You definitely do not want to stay in Sherman Oaks. That is North of both Hollywood and Venice Beach and you would have to drive at least 30 minutes South to get to Hollywood (with no traffic) and a good deal further to get to Venice Beach. Sherman Oaks doesn't give you anything special to see or do (its a residential and business area).

I don't know that I would want to stay in Hollywood. A little seamy even after the renovations.

The OP is already in Northern CA.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
One nite in Santa Monica at the Sherman Delfina to visit Venice. We really liked Venice but when it gets dark every one clears out. We found two Irish Pubs in Santa Monica that we like.

We like Marriott Courtyard Hotels so we did stay in Sheman Oaks one nite for our Hollywood day. The Hollywood Christmas Parade was on this day so all the folks were out. It was a little cramped but we had a blast.

Two nites in San Luis Obispo isnt enough. From Pismo Beach to Hearst Ranch is too much to do in two days.

The drive from San Luis to Monterey on CA 1 is in some areas very comparable to the Hana HWY in Maui.

Monterey is just not SF, so off to SF and some great food and Irish Pubs.

Yes Denise, we have used your SF page a few times now and it was our inspiration for our first trip to SF last year, so thanks.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes Denise, we have used your SF page a few times now and it was our inspiration for our first trip to SF last year, so thanks.

That's right - sorry I forgot. Have a great time in SF!

CalifasGirl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Central California wineries

Then you can go into Pismo Beach for a meal, there are some pretty good seafood restaurants at reasonable prices - they compete for best clam chowder awards - served in a sourdough bowl.

There are also a lot of great wineries in the San Luis Obispo area, although I'm sure you don't want to go with kids.

CalifasGirl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
traffic alerts

Anywhere you drive in the Los Angeles area is a nightmare in my mind.

Traffic can be terrible. That's why most of us Angelenos avoid the prime traffic hours. Even so, you can have traffic at all hours, like what someone said about a traffic jam at midnight. I used to work graveyard shift (11 pm-7 am) in Burbank, and there was usually a huge traffic jam on the 101 with people trying to get to their jobs, probably all folks like me with a night shift. Sometimes it's due to freeway maintenance, so they close down lanes during the wee hours, which causes a huge backup.

There are lots of people who work at a company that employs people 24 hours a day. I had worked at an entertainment company, but there are hospitals and businesses open 24 hours a day, which is why there is so much traffic in LA.

To avoid traffic, I use traffic alert websites like http://www.sigalert.com/ or http://www.traffic.com/ and listen to KNX 1070 AM which alerts you to traffic on the freeways. Most TV news shows will also talk about traffic in the mornings. I hope this helps. :cool: