• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Driving LA to SF

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything can be worse than the traffic in Los Angeles.

We don't drive through the area much anymore. But we used to visit friends in San Diego a few times a year, and we dreaded transiting LA.

My most vivid memory is going through LA at midnight on a Friday night, and being dead stopped in traffic for a considerable length of time. The horror! :eek:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don't think anything can be worse than the traffic in Los Angeles. Now to be truthful I haven't lived in Southern California in years, but I remember times of the day when you literally couldn't move. I've been on I-5 in the Seattle area, in fact between Seattle and Olympia, and although bad, nothing like Los Angeles.

I-5 in Seattle at the wrong direction at the wrong time of day can be as bad as anything I've ever experienced in Los Angeles (e.g., one hour to go ten miles).

The difference with Seattle is that the extreme congestion only occurs during peak commute time and doesn't last for hours as it does in LA.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
At least let her know what it is - there are so many fabulous things to see in CA, that the Winchester Mystery house is really a waste of time. Really, it's just a big rambling house - that's all there is to it.

I agree! I grew up in San Jose and IMO it is not something worth seeing.:( Save your time and money!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I agree! I grew up in San Jose and IMO it is not something worth seeing.:( Save your time and money!

OK, after reading all your comments about this place were saving our time and money and passing up the Winchester House. Also, maybe we should stay in Hollywood instead of Sherman Oaks.

Thanks
Bill
Bill

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
OK, after reading all your comments about this place were saving our time and money and passing up the Winchester House. Also, maybe we should stay in Hollywood instead of Sherman Oaks.

Thanks
Bill
Bill

No, don't stay in Hollywood. Some very seedy areas of town. You're better off in Beverly Hills.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, don't stay in Hollywood. Some very seedy areas of town. You're better off in Beverly Hills.

Sorry to disagree, but when was the last time you were in Hollywood? Since the building of the Kodak Theater, and renovations in and around the Chinese, Hollywood has seen a real renaissance. While I agree that there are area's that would be questionable, the reputation of Hollywood as simply a drug infested, crime ridden blight on the city of LA is no longer as true as it may have been even a few years back.:)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheman Oaks seemed close enough to everything but I didnt figure in the LA traffic. The Marriott in Sheman Oaks has a parking attenant with on site parking and seems to be a newer building from what I have read. Plus breakfast is included.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sheman Oaks seemed close enough to everything but I didnt figure in the LA traffic. The Marriott in Sheman Oaks has a parking attenant with on site parking and seems to be a newer building from what I have read. Plus breakfast is included.

Why not look at the Sheraton or the Hilton at Universal City, just up the street from Hollywood.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where Are You Going???

Why not look at the Sheraton or the Hilton at Universal City, just up the street from Hollywood.

I think we need to know why you are going to Sherman Oaks / Universal City / Hollywood?

Are you going to Disneyland? If so, then you are going to be many miles south of Sherman Oaks. If you are going to Universal Studios, then I agree that staying in Universal City is a much better choice. You will be able to walk to the park and avoid the drive through traffic. Sherman Oaks is a business section of the valley right next to the Freeway (yuck) - it is a reconditioned hotel (I think it was a Holiday Inn). I've attended seminars there in the past and it isn't a great place to stay with kids. (I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 56 years - born and raised there - until 3 years ago when we moved to Santa Barbara).

Another way to drive north from Disneyland (if you are going to skip Universal City) is to take the 10 Freeway to Pacific Coast Highway. That will allow you to drive along the coast and see Mailbu. A scenic drive (eat at Dukes in Malibu - it is right on the beach, great views of the ocean and Los Angeles - good food, moderate prices) - and some of California's best beaches, like ZUMA Beach. When you get to the end of the coastal drive take Los Posas offramp and go north back to the 101 Freeway North.

If you do go to Universal City, then when you go north you can take a detour (if you have the time) by taking the 101 Freeway north to Topanga Canyon Blvd.. Go south on Topanga Canyon Blvd. to the beach, turn right (its Pacific Coast Highway) and you can take the drive through Malibu that I described above.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we need to know why you are going to Sherman Oaks / Universal City / Hollywood?

Are you going to Disneyland? If so, then you are going to be many miles south of Sherman Oaks. If you are going to Universal Studios, then I agree that staying in Universal City is a much better choice. You will be able to walk to the park and avoid the drive through traffic. Sherman Oaks is a business section of the valley right next to the Freeway (yuck) - it is a reconditioned hotel (I think it was a Holiday Inn). I've attended seminars there in the past and it isn't a great place to stay with kids. (I lived in the San Fernando Valley for 56 years - born and raised there - until 3 years ago when we moved to Santa Barbara).

Another way to drive north from Disneyland (if you are going to skip Universal City) is to take the 10 Freeway to Pacific Coast Highway. That will allow you to drive along the coast and see Mailbu. A scenic drive (eat at Dukes in Malibu - it is right on the beach, great views of the ocean and Los Angeles - good food, moderate prices) - and some of California's best beaches, like ZUMA Beach. When you get to the end of the coastal drive take Los Posas offramp and go north back to the 101 Freeway North.

If you do go to Universal City, then when you go north you can take a detour (if you have the time) by taking the 101 Freeway north to Topanga Canyon Blvd.. Go south on Topanga Canyon Blvd. to the beach, turn right (its Pacific Coast Highway) and you can take the drive through Malibu that I described above.

My understanding from the previous posts is that the OP was looking at Sherman Oaks as a way to access Hollywood & Venice/Santa Monica and not Disneyland.

roadsister

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi
What are the must see or do things when driving from LA to SF. Stops include San Luis Obisco, Montery and San Jose. Herst Castle and the Winchester House are the only planed visits so far.

Also, what is the age at Disney for free a free admission. It looks like under 3 years old are free as the tickets are for 3 through 9 age group.

Thanks
Bill

Capitola is awesome.....a little place along the way - fantastic little town to just wander in and around, eat at restaurants right by the ocean! Most people don't even think about it!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Sorry to disagree, but when was the last time you were in Hollywood?

I grew up in the area, but haven't been there for quite a few years. The last time I was in the area we stayed in Beverly Hills, but went into Hollywood to visit. I was basing my comment on my prior years of living in southern California and some comments from my mother (who also hasn't been there in a long time).

travelnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
You did not say when you were doing ths trip. The Monarch butterflies can be seen in Los Osos near SLO and also in Pacific Grove (a very scenic little town right on the ocean near Monterey- save your money by skipping the 17-mile drive through Pebble Beach) in the winter months when they roost in great numbers. Check the State Parks link given to you by a previous poster, or simply Google.

While you're Googling, check on the winter months when you will be able to view 100s of elephant seals lounging on the beach close up, right next to the Hwy. Their haul out place is north of Hearst Castle, and south of Piedra Blanca on Hwy 1.

If you take Hwy 1, make at least a short stop to view the waterfall at Julia Pfeiffer State Park that cascades into the ocean. (also rainy season to late spring).

There was an extensive fire at Big Sur in June. Once the rains start, I would expect that Hwy 1 might be subject to closure due to mudslides. Big Sur is usually a favorite overnight stop. There are a few good little restaurants along the way.

North of Sta. Cruz, Big Basin and Henry Cowell State Parks have coast redwoods.

Be advised that commute traffic through San Jose on 101 is also brutal.

Hwy 17 from Santa Cruz to 101 south of San Jose is not for night or rainy weather or commute driving, nor for the faint of heart.

If you are over 65, you are eligible for a senior BART ticket for transportation to and within SF. For $8/9 you get $24 in rides. Each person needs a ticket. You can't buy these at the BART station. (Go figure) The place to get them is any major GROCERY store close to SF. Just ask at checkout or customer service. Newstand type stores in the City sell them. Depending upon where you're staying, you might be able to catch the hotel shuttle to the airport and take BART from there. (subway/metro) Parking in SF can be up to $20/hr.

There are 2 newly rebuilt museums in Golden Gate Park, the De Young (art) and the Academy of Science (Google this - check out the rainforest and the living roof). I've heard about a new Museum Shuttle that takes you from one museum to the next for about $7.

If you'll be traveling in Dungeness Crab season - usu starts before Thanksgiving, stop at the fish shack in Pilar Point on Jwy 1 near Half Moon Bay for crab or at least fish & dhips. Sinch DH likes fishing, he would probably enjoy checking out the fishing boats, though this has not been a good commercial season so far.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Were driving to San Francisco from LA after the kids and grandkids leave. With kids were doing disney and some other attractions. After they leave were staying at Marriott Courtyard in Sherman Oaks for a couple of days because it seemed that this location was in between Hollywood and Venice Beach. Now we are wondering if we should be staying in Hollywood one nite and Venice Beach one nite because of traffic. Thanks for the advice about Winchester House and the short cuts to Hollywood from Sherman Oaks.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Years ago, when we visited Monterey semi-regularly, we usually stayed in Pacific Grove. PG has a lot of quaint (and much less expensive) 1950's and 1960's era motels.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The traffic mess in the LA area is the worst ever. It took 2 + hours to get to the airport SNA from Universal Studios to pick up the family. Oceanside is a place I like. Anaheim kind of sucks. Disneyland is a big step down from Disney World. The grandkids love it but its wearing me out. Decided on Santa Monica before heading north. Thanks for the info.

Bill

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I think Santa Barbara is always worth a visit.

Solvang? A little off 101, but cute and lots of unique shops. And food.

There's a lot of early California history around Monterey, if that interests you.

When are you going? If it's between now and February, Google "butterflies Pacific Grove" and plan to check them out. It's unbelievable. Pacific Grove is next to Carmel.

Route 1 is spectacular for everyone but the driver. And I'd skip it if it's raining. If you do go that way, you can check out Cambria, above Morro Bay. Another cute but smaller town, this one on the coast.

The Winchester house tour is only 90 minutes or so, so you won't waste much time. There are nighttime flashlight tours on Friday the 13ths (February and March); my kids liked that one.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You also want to check out the fog alerts on 101 and 5 (there is also 99) to determine safety. When the tule fog is bad, you don't want to take 5 through the Central Valley. I used to know a road condition number that would tell fog conditions, but I'm sure you can find that online. We just drove down 5 today and it was fine.
Liz

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We never drive in SF - parking is too expensive. It is easier to take public transportation.

BTW - I wouldn't do Hearst Castle with little children. It's like touring a museum and the children will not be allowed to run around AT ALL. You will have to hold them, have them in a stroller, or by the hand at all times. I think it will be really boring and frustrating for them.

When my sons were 12, 10, and 8 we went to Hearst Castle on a vacation up the California coast. Not only did they love the tour, but we actually changed our plans, stayed the night nearby, and took a second tour the next day! (There are a total of four separate tours since the place is far too large to cover with just one tour.)

I'd highly recommend taking it in. Hearst Castle is a national treasure, now forever preserved as part of the California State Parks system.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When my sons were 12, 10, and 8 we went to Hearst Castle on a vacation up the California coast. Not only did they love the tour, but we actually changed our plans, stayed the night nearby, and took a second tour the next day!

I don't consider an 8, 10, and 12 year old to be "little children." This statement in the OP's original post lead to me believe that he would have one or more toddlers with him:

Also, what is the age at Disney for free a free admission. It looks like under 3 years old are free as the tickets are for 3 through 9 age group.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hearst Estate was amazing. Im not into this type of thing but found this place really interesting. We did 2 tours and spent most of the day here.

Any must see cool places around Monterey would be apreaciated.

Thanks
Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hearst Estate was amazing. Im not into this type of thing but found this place really interesting. We did 2 tours and spent most of the day here.

Any must see cool places around Monterey would be apreaciated.

Thanks
Bill

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a must-see.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Denise
You were right about the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Being a fisherman, this was an easy 4 hour visit for me. Now I see where those tasty fish swim and lay about in the different water columns.

Monterey and Carmel are a little too sterile for us so were on to San Francisco.

So I read about your animal out of bounds dilemma and thought you might like to join D.A.D.A. (drivers against dumb animals). Send me 5 bucks.

Thanks
Bill & Marie

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I read about your animal out of bounds dilemma and thought you might like to join D.A.D.A. (drivers against dumb animals). Send me 5 bucks.

Thanks
Bill & Marie

My daughter said that I was just helping out natural selection/survival of the fittest and at least that buck won't be reproducing next spring!

Have you looked at my SF Travel Page?