• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond purchase by Hilton

Duh

Reaction score
Would you please share what your other benefits are to being in the Max? For some reason nobody posts this. Is Hilton requiring you to keep this quiet?

IMO, the "benefits" from joining Max are pretty worthless. Yes, you get to go to a Hilton resort (with a 6 month booking window) and you get the ability to transfer your points to HH (HiltonHonors). There is an annual Lyft credit and an in-resort food credit based on your status. That being said, with HH, you are paying 20 cents per Max point in maint fees and only getting 8 cents per point in value from your HH account so for every point you transfer, it's like throwing 12 cents of your money right out of the window of a moving car. You also lose the ability to upgrade your unit at time of booking so you can't plan a trip with friends or family and magically hope you get the next sized unit at check in. And you have to pay (buy more points) for this downgrade. Not worth it, IMO.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, is there anything worth the upgrade?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel , I have learned that there are some excellent Hilton timeshare resorts in Hawaii and New Yotk

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel , I have learned that there are some excellent Hilton timeshare resorts in Hawaii and New Yotk
In this case, weigh the upgrades and related ongoing costs vs hours many times you arts find to the nice Hawaii and NY places

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo and Karen Avenue
So I’m really confused now. What I’m taking away from this is Diamond owner’s aren’t being offered anything great enough to jump in, but for some reason HGVC owners have been enticed enough to toss in more money to have access, which seems so stupid when inventory will be gobbled up by Diamond owners with priority. What could HGVC be promising?!
Prestige? Thinking not too smart.
Buy resale if there’s a resort you want to frequent.

Duh

Reaction score
So I’m really confused now. What I’m taking away from this is Diamond owner’s aren’t being offered anything great enough to jump in, but for some reason HGVC owners have been enticed enough to toss in more money to have access, which seems so stupid when inventory will be gobbled up by Diamond owners with priority. What could HGVC be promising?!

Diamond owners are being offered the chance to utilize Hilton resorts and sales folk are really playing up the HH access. Many sales meetings also tell owners that they will save greatly (like 25%) on their maint fees is they switch. And of course you have those who employ the scare tactics "you won't be able to access a previous Diamond resort if you don't switch". Most of this is hogwash. As for the flip side, Hilton owners will have access to many new locations and many of the Diamond resort are accessible at the 6 month point, depending on the time of year that one wants to go. And comparatively, a Hilton owner only has to pay $7,000 to get access to Diamond whereas most Diamond owners are being asked to pony up $20,000 or more for access to the Hilton resorts and HH.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22

As an HGVC owner, I'm not sure where you have gotten the impression that HGVC owners have been enticed enough to toss in more money to participate in HGV Max, any more than former Diamond owners. That is certainly not my personal feeling, nor my impression from reading the various posts in both this forum and the HGVC forum.

While there may be the occasional HGVC member that has decided to act on HGV Max, for whatever personal reason, the majority (including myself) are still on the fence. Until the system is actually up and running and we have a lot more confirmed details, other than the "promises" from salespeople at "updates", the consensus seems to be that most of us are not yet convinced. Just my two cents!

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond owners are being offered the chance to utilize Hilton resorts and sales folk are really playing up the HH access. Many sales meetings also tell owners that they will save greatly (like 25%) on their maint fees is they switch. And of course you have those who employ the scare tactics "you won't be able to access a previous Diamond resort if you don't switch". Most of this is hogwash. As for the flip side, Hilton owners will have access to many new locations and many of the Diamond resort are accessible at the 6 month point, depending on the time of year that one wants to go. And comparatively, a Hilton owner only has to pay $7,000 to get access to Diamond whereas most Diamond owners are being asked to pony up $20,000 or more for access to the Hilton resorts and HH.

How do you know the Hilton owner only has to pay $7,000? Do you know this for a fact?

As an HGVC owner, I'm not sure where you have gotten the impression that HGVC owners have been enticed enough to toss in more money to participate in HGV Max, any more than former Diamond owners. That is certainly not my personal feeling, nor my impression from reading the various posts in both this forum and the HGVC forum.

While there may be the occasional HGVC member that has decided to act on HGV Max, for whatever personal reason, the majority (including myself) are still on the fence. Until the system is actually up and running and we have a lot more confirmed details, other than the "promises" from salespeople at "updates", the consensus seems to be that most of us are not yet convinced. Just my two cents!
The reason I have this impression is because I just returned from two weeks at Kings Land. Almost every owner I spoke with opted for the Max. But......they were a bit tight lipped on figures, and what exactly they were promised. I don't think they even knew. They all seem to say the same thing. "It would be available in October".......

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
The reason I have this impression is because I just returned from two weeks at Kings Land. Almost every owner I spoke with opted for the Max. But......they were a bit tight lipped on figures, and what exactly they were promised. I don't think they even knew. They all seem to say the same thing. "It would be available in October".......

Eh, when we go, there are always owners that trust what the salesperson says and upgrades. They were buying before Max and they will continue buying after Max. Some people just trust what they say.

Many I spoke to at Ocean Oak this summer did not buy and were quite put off by the price. Then again, most people that are at Ocean Oak own there and won't give those weeks up so that may be the reason why.

Duh

Reaction score
How do you know the Hilton owner only has to pay $7,000? Do you know this for a fact?

Yes, I do. It's in the paperwork sent out to Hilton and Diamond owners. Diamond owners have to make another points purchase. Some as low as $16,000 for 4,000 points, other have been told as high as $100,000 for 10,000 points. But ALL Hilton owners do not have to make an actual purchase (requiring more in maint fees annually). They just have to pay the $7,000 "membership" fee to get into Max. It's BS IMO but it is what it is.

Duh

Reaction score

Please read iii. This is from the HGVClub Disclosure Statement effective 01 June 2022.

Members eligible to receive HGV Max benefits are referred to as “HGV Max Members”. Persons may become HGV Max members as described below:

i. Initial Membership - Persons who purchase an ownership interest at a Hilton Grand Vacations resort from an HGV Max authorized sales center and join Hilton Grand Vacations Club after launch of HGV Max shall automatically receive HGV Max benefits.

ii. Additional Purchase – Persons who were Hilton Grand Vacations Club Members prior to the launch of HGV Max and upgrade their Hilton Grand Vacations ownership interest or otherwise purchase an additional Hilton Grand Vacations ownership interest after the launch shall automatically receive HGV Max benefits.

iii. Ala Carte Membership. Other Members may have the option to acquire HGV Max benefits by paying a one-time HGV Max initiation fee.

Members who obtain HGV Max benefits by means of an additional purchase or adds an ala carte membership as described in items ii and iii above, shall be grandfathered into certain Club benefits and programs and may be referred to as “HGV Max Legacy Members”.

Members who do not qualify for HGV Max benefits may be referred to as “HGVClub Legacy Members” HGV Max Members, HGV Max Legacy Members, HGVClub Legacy Members are all “Members”.

Duh

Reaction score

And this pic shows the $7,000 HGV Max Initiation Fee that HGVC owners have to pay to get into HGV Max and have access to the Diamond resorts. Any other questions?

284813919_10159883639688890_1841909023499720219_n.jpg

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was aware of your post #2, but not sure that it still holds true. As for the fee schedule, thank you for posting it!!
Wow! Why in the world would anyone buy in to this? Must read the fine print as usual with Hilton. Amounts may be increased
or decreased.........I wish everyone luck who buys into this. I know it's not for us. Quite happy with our timeshares and purchases.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
iii. Ala Carte Membership. Other Members may have the option to acquire HGV Max benefits by paying a one-time HGV Max initiation fee.
Emphasis on the word "May". It's one of those scenarios where one hand doesn't seem to know what the other hand is doing. I have owned HGVC for the several years, and picked up a deeded resale week for (formerly DRI, now HVC) Point at Poipu. I keep up with the Hilton forum, and IIRC, the HGVC timeshare sales weasels have acted quite confused when asked during "updates" about the ala carte $7,000 option. The general impression is that Hilton is focused on pitching Max as part of an upgrade for now, and will wait to roll out the ala carte option for now.

IMO, it's no bargain based on how the program is being pitched.

Duh

Reaction score
I was aware of your post #2, but not sure that it still holds true. As for the fee schedule, thank you for posting it!!
Wow! Why in the world would anyone buy in to this? Must read the fine print as usual with Hilton. Amounts may be increased
or decreased.........I wish everyone luck who buys into this. I know it's not for us. Quite happy with our timeshares and purchases.

If you don't believe it still holds true, what brought you to that belief?

Diamond owners buy in for a number of reasons. Some want access to Hilton resorts and HH. Most, from the stories I've heard are mostly from believing the fear and hype. I don't think Hilton owners get pushed from the fear side but to have access to 90 new resorts for $7k? Not much of an investment for them for so many new place and resorts to go to.

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and opinions on this subject Duh. Curious, do you own with Hilton and Diamond? And under your log in name it comes up as “Guest”. Are you a TUG member?

Duh

Reaction score
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and opinions on this subject Duh. Curious, do you own with Hilton and Diamond? And under your log in name it comes up as “Guest”. Are you a TUG member?

No, I am not a TUG paying member (hence the Guest tag instead of TUG Member tag). I have owned for almost 34 years now starting at Powhatan Plantation in 1989 and became a Diamond owner 2 days after they purchased Sunterra (which owned Powhatan Plantation at the time) in 2007. I have not and will not buy into HVC Max as to me, it seems I am paying money to downgrade my benefits (biggest loss is the ability to upgrade at time of booking). I am a Platinum owner with Diamond.

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I respect your honesty. Thank you.

Reactions: Duh

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I am not a TUG paying member (hence the Guest tag instead of TUG Member tag)
Sometimes guests have "joined" by paying the $15/year membership fee, but have not done the conversion that changes their membership status in the forums from Guest to Member.

Reactions: Duh

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmmm. I've been a tug member since at least 2003, and have been trying to have TUG update our status. They say that membership on the forums is separate. I say they are the same. Sounds the same to me from what you are saying.

mandl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's the same log in. And I've been paying dues from day one.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
I have had some confusion about this as well. The forum has my "member since" date right, I think, but somehow I have two different passwords - one for the forums and one for the marketplace & reviews. I didn't figure it out until after talking to admin a couple months ago after having log-in problems. I thought I should have the same password for both. Turns out they are somehow separate. Perhaps @TUGBrian can shed some light?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
there is no actual link between the join date on the forums, and when you first found or visited TUG. That date is nothing more than when the account you use to log into the forums was created on the forums. it is not a date that can be modified or changed within the forum software.

and we imported all the accounts from the PREVIOUS forum into this one when we changed to xenforo however all those registration dates still only show 2006 ish or so as the very earliest "join date" anyone could possibly have despite there being plenty of members who were here long before 2006!