• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond purchase by Hilton

epearsall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Founders Level
Diamond Owners take warning!
Hilton has purchase Diamond and is trying to combine the Hilton program with the
diamond program. Great idea, except they want you to BUY your way into the new program.
Late last year, we upgraded our diamond package to Platinum level. We just attended an "update" and were show the new program. HGVMAX.
It all sounded great until we were told there was an upgrade fee!
Not $10,000, not $50,000 but $128,000. Fee is based on size of your Diamond package.
We asked what would happened with our existing Diamond Package if we said no, and were given vague answers,
including a statement that "Hilton projects 95% of Diamond owners will upgrade to HGVMAX," leaving few "old" Diamond program members
with proportionally less support.

We were angry and upset that Hilton would so brazenly ask for massive upgrades to join the combined program.
We are not made on money, and I don't believe that 95% of Diamond owners will ante up for this HUGE upgrade.
We were also offered to pay $4000 for a two year "hold" on the oppontunity to buy into the new program.
We declined to pay anything extra, as we had already spent too much.

I would like to hear from other Diamond owners regarding this expensive Hilton upgrade program

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Plenty of comments on the HGVC and Diamond forums.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Hilton The Bay Club, Worldmark
Diamond Owners take warning!
Hilton has purchase Diamond and is trying to combine the Hilton program with the
diamond program. Great idea, except they want you to BUY your way into the new program.
Late last year, we upgraded our diamond package to Platinum level. We just attended an "update" and were show the new program. HGVMAX.
It all sounded great until we were told there was an upgrade fee!
Not $10,000, not $50,000 but $128,000. Fee is based on size of your Diamond package.
We asked what would happened with our existing Diamond Package if we said no, and were given vague answers,
including a statement that "Hilton projects 95% of Diamond owners will upgrade to HGVMAX," leaving few "old" Diamond program members
with proportionally less support.

We were angry and upset that Hilton would so brazenly ask for massive upgrades to join the combined program.
We are not made on money, and I don't believe that 95% of Diamond owners will ante up for this HUGE upgrade.
We were also offered to pay $4000 for a two year "hold" on the oppontunity to buy into the new program.
We declined to pay anything extra, as we had already spent too much.

I would like to hear from other Diamond owners regarding this expensive Hilton upgrade program
They are simply manipulating you. They certainly do not know what the final program will look like. Just sit tight and wait till everything is announced. I was a Diamond owner (through acquisition of my home resort) and sold because I was so disgusted with their sales tactics. It sounds like you have invested tremendously in the program. If you want answers now you should reach out to their senior leadership team not sales weasels. Executive Leadership | Hilton Grand Vacations

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I imagine that you were at a Diamond resort and you met with a Diamond salesman. I imagine that you have nothing in writing regarding the conversion details. Pure timeshare and pure Diamond. Hilton would be crazy to roll out a program like this to loyal Diamond customers. They would alienate everyone. Per Mongoose's instruction I would pursue senior management for details on the veracity of the claims and the truthfulness of the salesman. He should be re-educated or fired.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
And you believed that sh!t?

Yes Hilton bought Diamond. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change unless you want to have access. Hilton owners can go on in the Hilton system and Diamond owners with theirs. Salesmen love to try to scare you. Stop listening to them

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Has any existing owner gone to a presentation that wasn't full of lies about why you needed to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to take full advantage of your current ownership?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Has any existing owner gone to a presentation that wasn't full of lies about why you needed to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to take full advantage of your current ownership?

not in the 24 years we’ve owned timeshare. I’m even contemplating listening to Spinnakers lies in a couple of months, just because we haven’t heard them in over 10 years.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
There are plenty of similar posts if you do a search. As others have said; you can't be serious.

epearsall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndam Founders Level
I imagine that you were at a Diamond resort and you met with a Diamond salesman. I imagine that you have nothing in writing regarding the conversion details. Pure timeshare and pure Diamond. Hilton would be crazy to roll out a program like this to loyal Diamond customers. They would alienate everyone. Per Mongoose's instruction I would pursue senior management for details on the veracity of the claims and the truthfulness of the salesman. He should be re-educated or fired.
Actually, it was at a Diamond Resort ( MYstic Dunes, Orlando) and it was a Hilton salesperson!

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, it was at a Diamond Resort ( MYstic Dunes, Orlando) and it was a Hilton salesperson!
They're all Hilton employees now.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

They’re all salesmen , Hilton or Diamond make no difference, and they all use the same sales technique of fear.

You’re NOT going to lose anything.

You MIGHT gain something.

It will probably cost something to gain something, just not $128,000 like your salesman suggested.

We will all have to wait to see the cost to gain. What you don’t want to do right now is go jumping off bridges or fighting with shadows. I know what my limits are because I’ve owned in the DRI system and currently own in the Hilton system. Because of this, I can place a value on the merger of systems and what it’s worth to me. They’ll have a much more difficult time with me because of this knowledge. They can sell DRI to me all day, but I left DRI for the same reasons I won’t spend thousands to get back in.

The salesmen have no leverage when you place your value on the product rather than allowing them to place theirs.

Don’t believe their lies. Don’t get upset because of their lies.

Reactions: cd5

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They’re all salesmen , Hilton or Diamond make no difference, and they all use the same sales technique of fear.
They also use the technique of trying to make us feel stupid because we don't understand the gibberish they use to justify the purchase. I've also had them try and berate us because we're not rich enough to spend money recklessly.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
They also use the technique of trying to make us feel stupid because we don't understand the gibberish they use to justify the purchase. I've also had them try and berate us because we're not rich enough to spend money recklessly.

I’ve actually had a Bluegreen salesman threaten to take me outside and “whoop my ass” before his manager got a hold of him and pulled him off the presentation. Such is the power of knowledge. I’ve learned not to call them out on their lies. While I’d love to own a piece of the company because one of their salesman loses his cool, I just don’t have the time to waste. Nod my head and repeat no gets me out faster than proving I’m more Knowles able than the average person in a presentation.

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes. Or they insult you for being cheap or "wasting" your vacation time for the presentation. Ugh.

WManning

Reaction score
I’ve actually had a Bluegreen salesman threaten to take me outside and “whoop my ass” before his manager got a hold of him and pulled him off the presentation. Such is the power of knowledge. I’ve learned not to call them out on their lies. While I’d love to own a piece of the company because one of their salesman loses his cool, I just don’t have the time t9 waste. Nod my head and repeat no gets me out faster than proving I’m more Knowles able than the average person in a presentation.
I turned down a update presentation to at Worldmark Boulevard this week. I tried to tell the wrist band desk been that I attended presentations Nov, Dec, and January and all ended up as a hard sell. Never believe that it's a way to help you use your ownership and it always ends in a hard sell.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I turned down a update presentation to at Worldmark Boulevard this week. I tried to tell the wrist band desk been that I attended presentations Nov, Dec, and January and all ended up as a hard sell. Never believe that it's a way to help you use your ownership and it always ends in a hard sell.

I’ve actually had a few, very few, that were more of an update with a soft sell. It’s not always a hard sell with every company. Diamond, initially, wasn’t always a hard sell, although it became that way after Diamond bought out Sunterra. Senior Marriott salesmen can recognize when they don’t have a good opportunity, you have a little conversation, soft sell and you’re out the door. More junior salesmen seem to be required to follow a track and push when they should just back off. We’ve had the same salesman with Breckenridge Grand Vacations for several years now. We go in, catch up on life events, he shows us the latest offer and we collect our $150 MF discount.

Most of the time it’s a hard sell with a bunch of lies being told, but not always

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone name a timeshare that sold for $128,000.00.

WManning

Reaction score
Please tell me no one ever paid that much for something that sells on the resale market for less then pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It must have been 10-15 years ago, but while I was at Kaanapali Beach Club I attended what I think they called a customer ownership survey. I was surprised that it wasn't a sale pitch at all. He reviewed what we currently owned and explained what our options were to enhance our ownership. It only took 10-15 minutes, and answered some of my questions. I'd do that every year if they always did it that way. DW hasn't attended a presentation with me since 2004 when we bought our first timeshare from Sunterra/Diamond/Hilton. I later discovered TUG and the next 2 purchases were resales.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Diamond salesperson. I own both and HGV sales staff are more professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Please tell me no one ever paid that much for something that sells on the resale market for less then pennies on the dollar.

that and more I’m afraid. A four bedroom penthouse unit fixed presidents week in Breckenridge can easily eclipse that figure.
I was looking at resale Ritz-Carlton weeks recently with price ranges from $25,000 to $255,000. Guessing that owners believed the value would increase, I’d guess that higher end range is what some of them paid for their weeks. If that’s the case I can understand why they’d be ticked off that Marriott allows us lowly MVC owners access through destination club points access into Ritz-Carlton resorts.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Some HGV Hawaian penthouses and HGV NYC Penthouses are going for $128k+

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I can't; however, based on some past advertisements I've seen (not on TUG), it wouldn't surprise me if some Vidanta units sold for 2-3 times that number.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned