• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Death Cleaning - Does It Bring You Joy?

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Very intriguing article in today's Wall Street Journal...not sure this link will work for non-subscribers

How ‘Swedish Death Cleaning’ Became the New ‘Tidying Up’​

A European decluttering philosophy focused on mortality is catching on in the United States, thanks to a bestselling book and a new reality TV series on Peacock​

Popularized by a self-help book from 2017, Swedish Death Cleaning follows a simple philosophy: Who wants to burden family members with clutter left behind? Swedish artist Margareta Magnusson, the book’s author, wrote a how-to guide for döstädning—the practice of getting rid of material possessions at the end of your life. The English translation, published in 2018, became a bestseller in the United States. After the April premiere of the Peacock show, weekly sales for “The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning” more than quadrupled in the U.S., according to Scribner, its American publisher.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Nope, there's a paywall. Can't read the article.

Dave

Brett

Reaction score
Very intriguing article in today's Wall Street Journal...not sure this link will work for non-subscribers

How ‘Swedish Death Cleaning’ Became the New ‘Tidying Up’​

A European decluttering philosophy focused on mortality is catching on in the United States, thanks to a bestselling book and a new reality TV series on Peacock​

Popularized by a self-help book from 2017, Swedish Death Cleaning follows a simple philosophy: Who wants to burden family members with clutter left behind? Swedish artist Margareta Magnusson, the book’s author, wrote a how-to guide for döstädning—the practice of getting rid of material possessions at the end of your life. The English translation, published in 2018, became a bestseller in the United States. After the April premiere of the Peacock show, weekly sales for “The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning” more than quadrupled in the U.S., according to Scribner, its American publisher.

I've seen the "Swedish Death Cleaning" TV show, it's nothing new if one has been through "death cleaning" with the parent's house.
We continuously think about what to leave (and not) leave behind.

Experts are recommending 'Swedish death cleaning' - they say it's your duty to your children​

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...Swedish-death-cleaning-say-duty-children.html

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I’ve just recently become aware of this system, but DH and I try to be considerate of our kids’ burden when we pass on - or our burden if we finally end up moving to assisted living and are forced to downsize! That said, our consideration mostly involves donating clothing and household goods. When it comes to keepsakes, both of us are too sentimental to get rid of them. Our theory is that those things will be meaningless to our kids and therefore easier for them to dispose of.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is how I roll. I hate "stuff". It holds you back (for instance, I have an uncle who hates where he lives but won't move b/c he's overwhelmed by his stuff). It takes time and money to deal with. Why burden your kids with this? And I don't need all kinds of sentimental items from my parents / grandparents to remind me of them. I have my memories. I have kept a few , select items that I find really beautiful but that's it. America is just filled with self-service storage facilities. We have too much stuff. I make it a rule to get of of something when I bring a new object into my home.

I wasn't aware of this show and I plan on watching it now!

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Modern technology helps you to de-clutter in advance, if such is your preference. (Collectors need not apply, but your duty is to catalog your collection in advance, with hints on how to sell and not get "robbed" in the process.)

Consider. I have 700+ audio CDs, all ripped down to a chip. I have multiple back-ups, including one in a Safe Deposit box. I like to read, but 95% of my library is now converted to e-books, with removable chips, and once again, the same back-ups. There are other ways to shrink your "stuff". Photos? scan and save the scans. My brother occasionally gets "fancy" and makes "Ken Burns" style flows of photos with music from my music library. I scan all my paper tax related papers. and keep them on chip. Easy to add another year, every year. (And I have the tax booklets all the way back from 1981 - courtesy of the IRS!)

Last edited:

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
This is how I roll. I hate "stuff". It holds you back (for instance, I have an uncle who hates where he lives but won't move b/c he's overwhelmed by his stuff). It takes time and money to deal with. Why burden your kids with this? And I don't need all kinds of sentimental items from my parents / grandparents to remind me of them. I have my memories. I have kept a few , select items that I find really beautiful but that's it. America is just filled with self-service storage facilities. We have too much stuff. I make it a rule to get of of something when I bring a new object into my home.

@Cornell Sounds like you already are in the groove!

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
One of the best gifts my in laws ever gave us was moving ahead in their seventies to sell their multi story house and do the job of downsizing their possessions before moving into a senior apartment. They were still healthy enough to handle it mostly on their own and made the decisions themselves.

One of the hardest times we had was when my mother in law, then age 98, had to move from that apartment to a small assisted living unit and we had to downsize again. We didn’t have any issues with agreeing among her kids how to divide up what they each wanted, but she was so disappointed that some things didn't find a home. I finally told my husband to just say “yes” and we'd deal with the stuff later, because it was hard to see her feeling bad that no one wanted some of her prized knickknacks, etc.

We're now in our 70s with a multi story house and need to start that process ourselves!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd love to sell our house and move to a senior-condo.
But we have way too much stuff that DW won't part with.
It's just the two of us, but we have 4 closets full of stuff.
"I might need that someday," is her motto.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
This is on my to do list. I just hope that I have a decade or two to complete it. LOL

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I admit to having too much stuff. We are in the process of getting rid of it. Christmas stuff is overwhelming, and that will be tough for Rick. Also, his tools and his workshop need to be downsized. We could get rid of so much, if we just put a mind to it.

We cleaned the basement fairly well. I have a lot of old home decor items in the basement that don't fit into our current style. I need to donate those as soon as I can. I am imagining the backup at the Salvation Army drop off, if more of us start getting rid of stuff. It's important to me to not leave it to the kids.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
i would love to declutter. It's on my to do list.

My oldest is a minimalist. Nice is many respects. But...

One day cooking at her house, needs a 2nd small pan, can't find one. Why? Cause they only have one small and one large (family of 4).

Last week she gave my grandson's bicycle helmet to another grandson. Then I was over there telling her son to put on a bicycle helmet. He's looking and cannot find his spiderman helmet. That's because my daughter gave it away - I need to take it back over there. Many things she has given to my other daughter's kids and then her kids visit and want them back.

So super nice in theory, she takes it too far. Seems to have no connection to things. Some things I've given her and wanted back (the cutest ever pink cowboy boots for my grand-daughters (a friend gave me) I wanted them back for another grand-daughter when she was done. But she gave them away after she was done with them - can't remember and doesn't care what happened to them).

I'll have to watch and learn about this swedish death cleaning. I'm sure she'll appreciate it, lol.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love to read. Don't own a single book aside from a couple of textbooks and reference books.
Shrug. I own a couple of 6 inch e-book readers. (primary and back-up). On them are 3000+ books, and the compete MAD magazine run. I need a USB charger for my electronics, as well.

I can read whatever I like, whenever I like, wherever I like, at a drop of a hat. Just finished Captain Blood, by Sabatini (1922) last night. Good pirate yarn. Public Domain = free. Chips cost peanuts, nowadays. If my heirs aren't interested, shrug, shred the chip or just reformat it.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I just shook my head and muttered under my breath when I found out what the activities department here at the Old Folks Home plans for June. They are looking to display residents’ WEDDING DRESSES. Any old lady who moved in here dragging her damn wedding dress didn’t get the concept of downsizing!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW's 25 yr. old wedding dress is in my office closet.

On each side of our fireplace are built-in bookcases.
Each are full of books we'll never open or use again.
30 year old textbooks, cookbooks, etc.
Donate to Friends of the Library? Not gonna happen.

Our heirs will have to deal.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I just shook my head and muttered under my breath when I found out what the activities department here at the Old Folks Home plans for June. They are looking to display residents’ WEDDING DRESSES. Any old lady who moved in here dragging her damn wedding dress didn’t get the concept of downsizing!
Oh Wow!!!

So... I have mine (preserved and all) - neither daughter wore it (what was I thinking).

I also have the minimalist's - only because I had it cleaned and was going to donate to an organization that makes burial gowns for infants. They stopped doing that during covid so I need to check again with them. It'll be gone one of these days.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
DW's 25 yr. old wedding dress is in my office closet.

On each side of our fireplace are built-in bookcases.
Each are full of books we'll never open or use again.
30 year old textbooks, cookbooks, etc.
Donate to Friends of the Library? Not gonna happen.

Our heirs will have to deal.
My FIL is fond of putting cash in between the pages of books he owns. So we will likely be thumbing through them all at some point!

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
@Sandi Bo your post made me laugh because I have a daughter who gets rid of things rather than passing them down to the younger grandkids, including some very expensive things I bought that I would like to have passed to other grandkids.

I also have a sister who is five years younger than me. She doesn't care for anything sentimental AT ALL. On my 5th birthday (going back many years), my dad, who was her natural-born father and my stepdad at the time, built and upholstered a beautiful teal naughahyde chair just for me. Dad was a professional upholsterer. My mom had just married him the month before, and this was a special gift for me.

I cherished that chair my entire life because it was a symbol of a new life for me with my newfound father. He adopted me a few years later. My natural father just let me go to this new dad, so the chair stayed [in my mind] a symbol of my new life. This was in 1960. Anyway, my kids used the chair and I stored it for future grandkids, but my sister asked to use the chair for her young kids. I loaned it to her, but it was not supposed to be hers. She gave it away after her kids were done with it. I had no idea and asked for it, and she made some rude comment like, "I am not a sentimental person like you." But that was not HERS to give away. Such a brat. That is still how I think of her today.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My FIL is fond of putting cash in between the pages of books he owns. So we will likely be thumbing through them all at some point!
The things people will do to get us to read, huh?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
i would love to declutter. It's on my to do list.

My oldest is a minimalist. Nice is many respects. But...

One day cooking at her house, needs a 2nd small pan, can't find one. Why? Cause they only have one small and one large (family of 4).

Last week she gave my grandson's bicycle helmet to another grandson. Then I was over there telling her son to put on a bicycle helmet. He's looking and cannot find his spiderman helmet. That's because my daughter gave it away - I need to take it back over there. Many things she has given to my other daughter's kids and then her kids visit and want them back.

So super nice in theory, she takes it too far. Seems to have no connection to things. Some things I've given her and wanted back (the cutest ever pink cowboy boots for my grand-daughters (a friend gave me) I wanted them back for another grand-daughter when she was done. But she gave them away after she was done with them - can't remember and doesn't care what happened to them).

I'll have to watch and learn about this swedish death cleaning. I'm sure she'll appreciate it, lol.
Have you told your daughter that you want these items returned to you before she gets rid of them? Because if someone gave me something I would think it's mine to do with what I want.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wedding dresses: I would advise any bride to sell their dress IMMEDIATELY after the wedding when it's still in style and has value. The chances of that dress being worn in the future are very, very low. Not worth storing, moving , etc.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

I have always told my family, don't let your stuff control you. Once you have too much "stuff", you get paralyzed by being overwhelmed by the sheer work of purging, and by the overwhelming emotional feelings associated with your "things". If I have too much stuff accumulating i.e., knowing that there is a full closet but having little idea of what is in there, I get antsy and I know that it is time for a major purge. I keep some "things" but I try to keep it a minimum. And if something is truly sentimental and brings good feelings, keep it in a place where you can see it and enjoy it, not inside of a closet or box.

My in-laws are the opposite. My FIL used to record old movies onto VCR tapes - editing out the commercials which would be the interesting parts now. He has them on shelves in the back bedroom, all indexed. Toss! Obviously that is just the tip of the iceberg. Their house and garage is full of old stuff that no one will ever use. If it were up to me (which it is not) I would just get a dumpster delivered to their house and put things straight into it, but at some point my husband and his siblings will insist on sifting through things that are now out of date and should have been donated years ago, when they were still useful. I think I will need to plan a trip when that happens :D

At any rate, I highly suggest purging occasionally. It is a very freeing feeling. You get back space in both your closet and your head. If you can't bring yourself to do it, call someone to come help you.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Nope, there's a paywall. Can't read the article.

Dave

Since losing her mother in 2021, Barbara Mohs has been sorting through family photos, Christmas ornaments, Danish china plates and vintage magazines, deciding what to keep. A new TV show has helped her see the value of relinquishing objects.

“At one point in the show, they say, letting go of these things does not diminish your love in any way, and that really resonated,” Mohs, a retired elementary school teacher in San Antonio, said of “The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning.” Since watching the reality show on NBC’s Peacock, she has given away many of her mother’s possessions and has also begun to sort through her own.

“My kids don’t want to carry around this china or silver,” Mohs, 59, said.
im-787131
Margareta Magnusson’s book on the subject was first published in 2017. PHOTO: SIMON & SCHUSTER

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Grapevine
A weekly look at our most colorful, thought-provoking and original feature stories on the business of life.
Preview

Subscribe

In an email, Magnusson, 89, said the practice should not be viewed as somber.
“Sad and morbid is a good description of what it is like to amass a bunch of stuff, and not really appreciating it,” she said. “[It’s sad] to leave all this cleaning to others. Keep the things you really, really love, things that you look at and enjoy regularly. Get rid of the rest of your stuff.”
In the Peacock show, which is narrated by Amy Poehler, three “Death Cleaners”—an organizer, a psychologist and a decorator—work with clients including empty-nesters, a retired singer and a woman with terminal cancer. The inevitability of death is a guiding force in their process.
“Obviously it’s not fun to think about your own death, but I could get hit by a bus tomorrow,” said Jina Anne, a 39-year-old user-interface designer living in the Bay Area. “And so I’m thinking about my brother and all the stuff he’d have to go through.” Anne said binge-watching the show inspired her to part with furniture, broken devices, art supplies and old beauty products.
im-787132
The sewing room of Barbara Mohs’s late mother, with Death Cleaning in progress. PHOTO: BARABRA MOHS
Casey Clowes, a 31-year-old attorney in Tempe, Ariz., said the show empowered her to get rid of an unwanted kitchen accessory that was a gift from an aunt, as well as some dance memorabilia she held on to since she was a child.
“Sometimes you keep things out of obligation,” she said. “I’ve been asking myself, ‘Will anyone, including myself, be happy if I keep this?’”
The Swedish Death Cleaning trend shares some tenets with organizing consultant Marie Kondo’s keep-it-if-it-sparks-joy approach, laid out in her 2010 bestseller “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.” Her book was also adapted for TV—in a 2019 Netflix series—but Swedish Death Cleaners say the Kondo method is quite different.
“That’s more of a project, whereas Swedish Death Cleaning is a mind-set,” said Ebony Mikle, a 42-year-old educational diagnostician in Dallas. “Now, with anything, I ask, ‘Do I need this, do I use this? Is this what I want people to find in my home?’” Mikle has also decided which family members will inherit her items.
Swedish Death Cleaners are advised to take their time going through items and to give things away as gifts when possible. Anything else may be donated or thrown away.
“I set stuff aside, and then if I don’t need it for two weeks, I’m like, OK girl, let it go,” said Mikle.
Ella Engström, an organizational coach who stars in the Peacock show, said she was surprised by how much stuff Americans accumulate. She attributed the excess to a shopping culture.
“We have this Swedish word, lagom, which means just the right amount, and it’s deeply rooted in our culture,” said Engström. “But Americans, you love your stuff, and you have something for every season! Someone has made you think you need those things.”