• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Craigendarroch Lodges Purchase

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
... I figured it would be worthwhile to have you look at our purchase to QA it. I also figured this information would be useful to anyone else looking to purchase through the Scotland property since most of the posts about Craigendarroch are at least a year old at this point.

It might be helpful for the purposes you imagine. Or it might be helpful to the HGVC program integrity folks that look at TUG occasionally. Honestly, if anyone wants to buy Craigendarroch for elite status, they should jump on it now. I am shocked this approach is still around.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Definitely start to do this if you need to travel. Try to be in a point deficit. I am booking 2023 stays with 2024 points right now. Borrowing is free but saving/converting costs.

Another benefit of EP status is you pay no banking fees until August to bank. Banking after August, I believe it is $75 or $80 for EP ownership level.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Here is a nice breakdown of the fees by Elite level. You can see the benefits of EP here.

Attachments

• Hilton Grand Vacations - 2022 Hilton Grand Vacations Club Fee Schedule.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 59

amirh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Lodges

Make sure to pay with the Hilton Aspire Amex so that it will count for 14x HH and you will get the $250 resort credit. If you don't have this card, get it. You will get the nice chunk of bonus HH points with this purchase plus the 14x. Also, if any of them have 2022 points, you will need to pay the 2022 MFs when you pay for the purchase price, otherwise, you won't pay until December/January for 2023 points.

Unfortunately, the lodges are no longer eligible for the resort credit as of this year. Paying MF with the Aspire did not trigger the credit as it did last year. I got enough value out of the card this year on my trip to Israel (room upgrades on point reservations, usually $500 a night) but might have to downgrade next year.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately, the lodges are no longer eligible for the resort credit as of this year. Paying MF with the Aspire did not trigger the credit as it did last year. I got enough value out of the card this year on my trip to Israel (room upgrades on point reservations, usually $500 a night) but might have to downgrade next year.
It worked for me this summer with my lodge purchase. We got the 14x and the $250 credit. Did you pay them by phone?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
No, it is no fees to save points.
Then for EP, there is not benefit to borrowing points. Either way I have been borrowing from future years for current years. Saves me the $109 for banking.

If I had to do this again, I would buy from the Scotland properties to get EP for no extra cost. Though buying at the District did take care of the largest expense annually which is the club reservation fees.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

JimmyQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts on this message board for the last couple months and really appreciate all the great information available. My wife and I have learned quite a bit about the HGVC program and, using information from all of you, have decided to make a purchase at Craigendarroch Lodges in Scotland through the official HGVC resale office there.

Before we complete the purchase (we're on day 19 of our 21 day "cooling off" period), I figured it would be worthwhile to have you look at our purchase to QA it. I also figured this information would be useful to anyone else looking to purchase through the Scotland property since most of the posts about Craigendarroch are at least a year old at this point.

We're purchasing 5x contracts in various weeks, all of them platinum season and worth 11,200 HGVC points each. This is a total of 56,000 HGVC points which qualifies us for Elite Premier status. I double-checked this with Andrew at the Lodges and he confirmed that Craigendarroch does still qualify towards Elite statuses but that they will not at some time in the future. They still didn't know when that would happen, but all previous purchases would be grandfathered into the program.

The total purchase price for the five contracts is GBP 24,000 plus closing costs of GBP 195 per contract for a total of GBP 24,975. At the current exchange rate, that works out to about $29,500 or about $0.53/point.

We additionally had to pay for the initial HGVC membership fee which is GBP 298, but they were able to waive GBP 293 fee that would normally be applied to each contract if adding to an existing membership. We didn't have to pay this since we are new members (saved us about $1700).

Maintenance fees are GBP 730/year ($860) per contract for a total of about $4,300 (about $.08/point).

So, in summary:
5x 2 BR Platinum contracts (56,000 total Club Points)$28,320
Closing costs (total for 5 contracts)$1,150
Initial HGVC membership fee$350
Maintenance Fees per contract$860

From what I've seen on some of the various timeshare resale sites, these contracts are pretty competitive with the overall resale market. That's before you take into account they are direct sales from HGVC and count towards Elite status. I asked about HGVMax and was told that, officially, Craigendarroch sales don't count towards that program. However, Andrew said that other owners have received emails welcoming them to HGVMax and I also received a similar email after we put in our purchase order. We'll see what happens with that (we have not paid anything extra towards HGVMax).

My wife and I have been DVC owners for several years now and are pretty familiar with the timeshare experience. We're looking forward to the additional locations that HGVC will bring, particularly Las Vegas (where we're from) and Orlando (where we visit frequently, hence the DVC ownership).

So, thoughts on this pending purchase? I'm also happy to answer any questions people have regarding the purchasing process at Craigendarroch. It's very straightforward, I did everything over email. If you're interested, their website and contact info is www.craigendarroch.com/sales

Thanks!

Is the elite status offered to all resale buyers or only when purchasing from Andrew?

What does the Elite program offer now that MAX is coming out?

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is the elite status offered to all resale buyers or only when purchasing from Andrew?

What does the Elite program offer now that MAX is coming out?
There seems to have been exceptions at times but otherwise, you need to purchase from the HGV office at each of the resorts in Scotland to be elite eligible. So far, I have not heard of anything changing for HGVClub Legacy elite members. You can see all the benefits of the HGV Elite page.

JimmyQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elite Premier get a 30% discount on Open Season. Open Season are reservation within the next 30 days and you pay cash versus points. When the cash price is listed for the rooms that you want to rent, the 30% is already deducted so you book it with the discount. Guest certificates are $79 each but EP gets them for free. EP can convert HGV points to HH at a 1:16 ratio so to calculate the real value, you need to determine how much those points cost you, typically your MF cost/# of points and then how that translates into hotel stays. # of points required versus the cost of the room, then compare. If you have left over points though, it can be a good place to dump them with no expiration date versus saving into the next year or dumping into RCI, which is good for 2 years there.

This has all been extremely helpful information and I’d like to extend my thanks for fantastic knowledge sharing here.

I did notice that Craig is “managed” by Hilton and wasn’t developed by Hilton. Is it possible that Hilton could no longer “manage” the Craig and it therefore no longer becomes a HGV property? If that were to happen I don’t see how anyone purchasing contracts there would be “grandfathered” into the HGV program. Would owners just be left with Craig contracts for use? Appreciate any insight and thoughts around this.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This has all been extremely helpful information and I’d like to extend my thanks for fantastic knowledge sharing here.

I did notice that Craig is “managed” by Hilton and wasn’t developed by Hilton. Is it possible that Hilton could no longer “manage” the Craig and it therefore no longer becomes a HGV property? If that were to happen I don’t see how anyone purchasing contracts there would be “grandfathered” into the HGV program. Would owners just be left with Craig contracts for use? Appreciate any insight and thoughts around this.
3 of the 4 Scotland properties are managed by HGV. The fourth, Craigendarroch Suites, is part of HGV. I guess it is possible that they could stop managing them and that is true of any of the affiliates, like SW FL, Bay Club, Marbrisa, etc... they could stop being part of HGV. I doubt it would happen but possible. You aren't required to be part of HGV when you own at those and many aren't so, if the relationship ended, you would just own that week there. You have other trading/renting options though.

alexinorlando

TUG Member
Reaction score

Actually there is at least one precedent to this that I know of (possibly more).

One of the Marco Island resorts, Sunset Cove Resort was managed or affiliated with Hilton at one point. Ownership’s could be enrolled with Hilton. At some point the property was acquired or entered into a new management contract with Holiday Inn Vacation Club. So now ownerships there can be enrolled into that club.

People who were already enrolled with Hilton at this resort still can use with Hilton and other Hilton members can make reservations at this resort with club points (although not much availability anymore).

So it seems to me that even if a property is no longer managed and being sold by Hilton you can still use it within the HiltonGrand Vacation Club and other members can use their points to use at said resort.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually there is at least one precedent to this that I know of (possibly more).

One of the Marco Island resorts, Sunset Cove Resort was managed or affiliated with Hilton at one point. Ownership’s could be enrolled with Hilton. At some point the property was acquired or entered into a new management contract with Holiday Inn Vacation Club. So now ownerships there can be enrolled into that club.

People who were already enrolled with Hilton at this resort still can use with Hilton and other Hilton members can make reservations at this resort with club points (although not much availability anymore).

So it seems to me that even if a property is no longer managed and being sold by Hilton you can still use it within the HiltonGrand Vacation Club and other members can use their points to use at said resort.
That is interesting. I have never stayed at Sunset Cove but do see it listed in the HGVC portal for reservations. It is all 3 bedrooms, which I also find interesting. A quick scan through availability and it is very limited...just a couple days here and there.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Shell Island Beach Club was also managed by HGVC, but was voted out. New resale owners can still enroll in the HGVC club.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New resale owners can still enroll in the HGVC club
I am curious how this works if they were voted out? Wouldn't they either be an affiliate or not and, if not, why would owners have the ability to use clubpoints or, at least, new owners? I could see existing owners but why new owners if they are no longer part of HGV?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am curious how this works if they were voted out? Wouldn't they either be an affiliate or not and, if not, why would owners have the ability to use clubpoints or, at least, new owners? I could see existing owners but why new owners if they are no longer part of HGV?

That was the thought up until a few years ago. HGVC will enroll weeks and they are sold as HGVC weeks. This thread has info to the process.

Anderson Ocean Club has a similar set up. It was originally a full ownership condo that contracted with HGVC to sell the remaining units as timeshare weeks. The entire complex is managed by Oceana. They are the rental management division of Wyndham Hotels.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anderson Ocean Club has a similar set up
Thanks. For the most part, there is always availability at Anderson and it isn't listed in HGV any differently than Ocean 22 or Enclave so I assumed it was the same as those.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This thread has info to the process.
Well....that was a confusing read....best that I could get from it is that Shell existing owners who were in HGVC, can still be in HGVC and new owners can exchange into HGVC. If that is the case, then I guess it is their weeks that you see in the portal for reservations because there are a few 2 day availabilities here and there.

Also, here is an updated map of the one shown on that thread that may be of interest:
1661965153935.png

Attachments

• About Us Map File 51122.pdf
    339.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. For the most part, there is always availability at Anderson and it isn't listed in HGV any differently than Ocean 22 or Enclave so I assumed it was the same as those.

All of the SC properties were built and owned by a 3rd party, Strand Capitol. The partnership between HGVC and Strand link back to the Anderson deal. You can purchase a unit at Anderson from an owner, but they are pretty expensive.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All of the SC properties were built and owned by a 3rd party, Strand Capitol. The partnership between HGVC and Strand link back to the Anderson deal. You can purchase a unit at Anderson from an owner, but they are pretty expensive.
That is what I thought. So are you saying that Oceana manages pre-HGVC owners?

JimmyQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the Craigdarroch Lodges and Craigdarroch suites?

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is the difference between the Craigdarroch Lodges and Craigdarroch suites?
Just a different resort. The lodges are individual cabins, cheaper, and managed by HGV where the Suites are rooms like the resorts in the US, more expensive but part of HGV versus only being managed by HGV. You can compare them on the HGV website.

ksimm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Craigendarroch

From what I've seen on some of the various timeshare resale sites, these contracts are pretty competitive with the overall resale market. That's before you take into account they are direct sales from HGVC and count towards Elite status. I asked about HGVMax and was told that, officially, Craigendarroch sales don't count towards that program. However, Andrew said that other owners have received emails welcoming them to HGVMax and I also received a similar email after we put in our purchase order. We'll see what happens with that (we have not paid anything extra towards HGVMax).

I'm curious, have you found out for sure if you're in Max yet or not? I just started the process of buying a 2 bedroom platinum from the Craig, I couldn't justify going all in like you did yet. I'm hoping that they will stay elite eligible for a while, because it would be nice to get that benefit eventually. I just don't have enough vacation time now to use up all those points!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is what I thought. So are you saying that Oceana manages pre-HGVC owners?

They manage the building for everybody. HGVC sells the weeks for Strand and enrolls them into the club. Oceana manages the checkin, room assignment and housekeeping for the entire building.