• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Island Beach Club Sanibel

gcrowe21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a specific question about Shell Island which is not managed by HGVC. I read on a thread elsewhere that when a unit there is sold there that it is no longer a HGVC unit. How do I know if a resale unit is an HGVC unit? Also, if I purchase a unit that is not HGVC can I get it back into HGVC. As you can tell, I want to be apart of HGVC.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I have a specific question about Shell Island which is not managed by HGVC. I read on a thread elsewhere that when a unit there is sold there that it is no longer a HGVC unit. How do I know if a resale unit is an HGVC unit? Also, if I purchase a unit that is not HGVC can I get it back into HGVC. As you can tell, I want to be apart of HGVC.

Any resale will not be part of HGVC. Even if it’s HGVC now, it will lose the ability to be part of the system. Any current interval that’s HGVC is because they were grandfathered in and lose the system if they are sold. I’m not sure if it’s inherited if the unit keeps it’s ability to be part of HGVC.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
For those of us out of the loop, what are you talking about?

Every site on a google search says Shell Island Beach Club is HGVC, and none of them say anything different.

Just curious . . . & I've been interested in SW FL, and the resorts, before there were resorts.

Despite the prominent disclaimer, I guess this site is misleading, at the least:

https://www.hgvcresales.com/hgvc-resorts/shell-island-beach-club/

Last edited:

gcrowe21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, OldGuy. I’m confused. I talked with someone at Shell Island on Friday and he made it seem like I would be able to pay the HGVC dues if I bought a unit there. However, he doesn’t do sales directly. It’s Lisa Williams, but she was not available at the time. I’m going to try to talk with her this week. I’m concerned since I’ve seen posts on here saying otherwise.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Both Shell Island Beach Club and Sunset Cove left HGVC. Existing owners were grandfathered. It has been reported that HGVC membership is no longer available to new owners (direct or resale) - see below for further details.

From the Sticky thread (post #63)

Termination of affiliate agreements

NOTE 1: HGVC membership is unavailable at Sunset Cove and Shell Island Beach Club on resale and direct purchases. Existing HGVC members were grandfathered when the affiliation agreement was terminated.
NOTE 2: Club Intrawest & Anantara were internal exchange agreements

External resorts are also excluded in the HGV Destination Resort Map and noted on the member website (indicating “EXTERNAL EXCHANGE RESORT” above the resort name instead of “HILTON GRAND VACATIONS”) - see below.

From the Shell Island Beach Club Resort webpage
https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/florida-gulf/shell-island-beach-club-resort/

5D59D0AE-3FD5-42A2-BCB4-AF91E167BD7E.png

From the Sunset Cove Resort webpage
https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/florida-gulf/sunset-cove-resort/

1E10AEE1-9865-4F5A-9AE6-177410A5836C.png

From HGV’s our destinations
https://www.hgv.com/development

HGV-Corporate-Map.jpg

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For those of us out of the loop, what are you talking about?

Every site on a google search says Shell Island Beach Club is HGVC, and none of them say anything different.

Just curious . . . & I've been interested in SW FL, and the resorts, before there were resorts.

Despite the prominent disclaimer, I guess this site is misleading, at the least:

https://www.hgvcresales.com/hgvc-resorts/shell-island-beach-club/

Short story is Shell Island left HGVC when their HOA decided that they didn’t want HGVC to manage the resort anymore. Many owners were not happy with the decision, but it happened very quickly with very little recourse. HGVC grandfathered any owners that wanted to stay in the club, but membership does not transfer to new owners of the deed. The threads @alwysonvac linked above give the full story.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Thanks.

Kinda figured that, but wondered why HGVC is still shown on all the resale sites.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thanks.

Kinda figured that, but wondered why HGVC is still shown on all the resale sites.
That is because resale sites want to sell, and putting a label of "HGVC" on a listing makes it look better. Since those resorts are still listed on the HGVC, technically it is still accurate -- the resale sites just either don't know any better or conveniently leave out the fact that resales can't join HGVC. Also, just because the resale site has "HGVC" in their name, it doesn't mean it is associated in any way with Hilton Grand Vacations.

Kurt

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I have redacted the contact info, but will share it privately:

Mon, Aug 5, 2019 9:13 am

Good morning,

I was forwarded your email by Shell Island. I handle the resales there and may be able to be of assistance.

The resort is affiliated with HGVC. so if you are already a member of HGVC you can add a unit/week you purchase to your membership. If you are not a member, you can become one when you become an owner.

I hope this helps....

Thank you,

Lisa
Licensed Real Estate Agent

gcrowe21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Lisa at Shell Island and an HGVC Rep this morning. Both indicated that owners that purchase resale units at Shell Island CAN join HGVC. If the unit is already in HGVC the transfer should happen automatically. It shouldn’t be any different than any other affiliate resorts. The HGVC rep did indicate that Sunset Cove resale units cannot join HGVC because that resort was purchased by Holiday Inn. She initially had Sunset Cove and Shell Island mixed up.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I spoke with Lisa at Shell Island and an HGVC Rep this morning. Both indicated that owners that purchase resale units at Shell Island CAN join HGVC. If the unit is already in HGVC the transfer should happen automatically. It shouldn’t be any different than any other affiliate resorts. The HGVC rep did indicate that Sunset Cove resale units cannot join HGVC because that resort was purchased by Holiday Inn. She initially had Sunset Cove and Shell Island mixed up.

Funny, after posting the same information from Lisa above your post, I had some more conversations with the resort, and got a somewhat different take. I was not asking about HGVC, I was asking about something else, but this was added in their reply:

Please note, we are not an HGVC property and are not managed by Hilton.
We do exchange with HGVC.

That is the type of statement that, at best, clouds the issue.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given the lack of consistent (hell, directly contradictory) response, I would certainly require this in writing and make the deal contingent upon it.

Cheers.

gcrowe21

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don’t find this statement contradictory. This is consistent with what I heard from both Lisa and HGVC. They are still HGVC affiliated and can exchange with HGVC, but are not an HGVC property nor managed by HGVC. I do agree about being diligent in any transaction being contingent on the ability to join the unit into HGVC. Thanks

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see your point. But I guess it's not clear what "exchange with HGVC" means here. Does that mean that you can use these points as if they were HGVC to book other HGVC properties? ANd without paying HGVC dues?
If so, this seems a better deal than being able to join HGVC with the unit. So I must be missing something :)

Cheers.

gcrowe21

TUG Member
Reaction score
They both indicated that an owner would have to be a member of HGVC and pay annual dues for the unit to be exchanged through HGVC.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They both indicated that an owner would have to be a member of HGVC and pay annual dues for the unit to be exchanged through HGVC.

Eh. . . I would go forward with cation if you must.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Funny, after posting the same information from Lisa above your post, I had some more conversations with the resort, and got a somewhat different take. I was not asking about HGVC, I was asking about something else, but this was added in their reply:

By clouds the issue, I did not mean contradictory.

It's the type of statement that begs further explanation, but whether resales are HGVC was not the question she had been asked.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would ask hgvc for clarity and ask for it in writing. Ask for a supervisor to speak to.

If your purpose is to trade in hgvc there are a quite a few affiliates in Sanibel and Captiva that you can buy and use or trade in hgvc with no issues or ifs.

Rules can change. I personally have only purchased hgvc affiliates that I would be very happy using even if I had no access to hgvc.

gcrowe21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would ask hgvc for clarity and ask for it in writing. Ask for a supervisor to speak to.

If your purpose is to trade in hgvc there are a quite a few affiliates in Sanibel and Captiva that you can buy and use or trade in hgvc with no issues or ifs.

Rules can change. I personally have only purchased hgvc affiliates that I would be very happy using even if I had no access to hgvc.

We definitely want our home resort to be in Sanibel and want to trade in HGVC. We are also considering Tortuga Beach Club, but the O&M annual fees at Shell Island are almost $500 less. Neither resort has a match for us yet, but we want to be prepared if one comes available. If trading in HGVC is the exact same at Shell Island as Tortuga we would much prefer there because of the heavily reduced O&M.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tortuga Beach Club Includes free golf for the week.
I don't golf but it is a value for someone who uses it

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tortuga Beach Club Includes free golf for the week.
I don't golf but it is a value for someone who uses it

Very likely a reason why the MFs are higher at Tortuga. As I also don't golf, I'd not want to be paying for a "free" benefit that I wouldn't use.

But, yeah, possibly a good deal for those who do.

Cheers.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I noticed like many of those older SW Florida resorts, they have local RE agents handling resales, and prices appear to be better (for owners) than when there isn't an organized resale program.

I looked at a couple other resorts, too, and very few Snowbird weeks are available, and the ones that are are pricey. The peak weeks are 5-13. That has not changed over the years.