• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Dues

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I am hypothesizing that if you had logged into your husbands Vistana.com account and clicked through to pay the Club Dues that it would have worked. No real information to verify this, but one other owner I commented to in a Facebook Group was having similar issues.
On 2nd thought, I do remember logging in as my husband some time after Abound web logic went live. I saw the same links on his account as mine. However I fuzzily think I tried to pay dues on his account too.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We own Vistana and MVC. Paid MVC but dues were not attached. And I can't get online to pay our Vistana weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We own Vistana and MVC. Paid MVC but dues were not attached. And I can't get online to pay our Vistana weeks.
Since you own Kierland, your Club Dues should be attached to the maintenance fees for your week there. But their system is currently broken. Hopefully someone comes into work tomorrow to fix it.

Mulege

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
WMH
WLM
I wonder why my bill for dues was $307.29? I am President.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Since you own Kierland, your Club Dues should be attached to the maintenance fees for your week there. But their system is currently broken. Hopefully someone comes into work tomorrow to fix it.
Monday is a legal holiday, I doubt the office staff and IT will be working.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I wonder why my bill for dues was $307.29? I am President.
State taxes - is the bill for Club Dues included on an ownership in Hawaii?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
$307.29 is what @daviator reported in the database for Club Dues for 2023 associated with a WKORV 2 BR Premium. IIRC someone had mentioned that Hawaii taxes those; hence my post #81 above.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
$307.29 is what @daviator reported in the database for Club Dues for 2023 associated with a WKORV 2 BR Premium. IIRC someone had mentioned that Hawaii taxes those; hence my post #81 above.
They must own Nanea or Princeville.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
It seems the club dues are a complete mess.

Mandatory are supposed to have them billed in their maintenance fee statements. Voluntary ownerships are to be paying them separately. Some mandatory are being billed the old VSN fee instead of the new club dues based on owner level. Some are being charged double dues and if you have a mixed bag of in and out of abound VOI’s in the VSN you’ll be paying club dues AND the old VSN fee.

The whole thing is a mess. Marriott is a disaster

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
We own Kierland among other voluntary weeks. Our VSN fees used to be paid in conjunction with our (voluntary) WLR ownership. This last year our new Abound Chairman’s Club fee was attached over to our Kierland ownership and we paid it when we paid those fees. Easy….

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
It seems the club dues are a complete mess.

Mandatory are supposed to have them billed in their maintenance fee statements. Voluntary ownerships are to be paying them separately. Some mandatory are being billed the old VSN fee instead of the new club dues based on owner level. Some are being charged double dues and if you have a mixed bag of in and out of abound VOI’s in the VSN you’ll be paying club dues AND the old VSN fee.

The whole thing is a mess. Marriott is a disaster
What’s interesting is we have still yet to even receive ANY correspondence of Abound launching. Never received any email, not even into spam folder. Nothing. Had we not been TUG members this would all be confusing. Thank you TUG!!

I can sympathize with the non TUG members. Hopefully someday this all gets fixed and someone realizes the disorganized mess. Maybe the whole goal is sales motived? “Are you confused? Attend an owners update!!”

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You would think there would be some sort of official communication of club dues so owners know what and where to pay. We see many owners potentially naively opting out and not understanding what they are opting out of because of deer in the headlights. As previously stated by others, MVC needs Vistana owners to pay these fees so there is Abound inventory eligibility. You’d think they’d want this process as easy as possible. They may find more opt out than planned?

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You would think there would be some sort of official communication of club dues so owners know what and where to pay. We see many owners potentially naively opting out and not understanding what they are opting out of because of deer in the headlights. As previously stated by others, MVC needs Vistana owners to pay these fees so there is Abound inventory eligibility. You’d think they’d want this process as easy as possible. They find more opt out than planned?
Exactly. So many vistana owners have already begun opting out. Marriott didn’t expect most vistana owners to be happy with their one resort and have a skeptical mindset. We all know that Marriott did a terrible job with this roll out. For the longest time we’ve heard how great they were back in 2010 with the DC rollou, But this is just terrible

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My guess would be WKORV, WMH, and WLM based on the following -

[IMG alt="Mulege"]https://tugbbs.com/forums/data/avatars/m/96/96413.jpg?1651158134[/IMG]

Mulege

TUG Member
Resorts Owned: WKORV
WMH
WLM

I'd also guess that the Club Dues are probably on the WKORV one.
Could be. For some reason I was under the impression that the Dues were billed separately, which would lead me to think it was a voluntary ownership.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For the longest time we’ve heard how great they were back in 2010 with the DC rollou, But this is just terrible
I think that is more about fond memories than them really being all that much better back in 2010...

If a lot of owners are already opting out, Marriott needs to better train their customer service staff how to mitigate this. There are very few owners IMO who should opt out. Many are squabline over $15-$60 on a timeshare they paid tens of thousands of dollars to buy.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think that is more about fond memories than them really being all that much better back in 2010...

If a lot of owners are already opting out, Marriott needs to better train their customer service staff how to mitigate this. There are very few owners IMO who should opt out. Many are squabline over $15-$60 on a timeshare they paid tens of thousands of dollars to buy.
I agree, we are in the minority of owners. Most are so skeptical and can’t wait to opt out. What can you expect? They never knew they paid a VSN Fee before, you can expect them to be ok with club dues that they think are new.

The amount of Vistana owners who have zero idea what they paid tens of thousands of dollars for is scary. Maybe this is why Marriott threw the 8/9 resale rule in their contracts. Maybe they actually can’t exclude mandatory resales but they are banking on the vistana owner being so clueless they won’t be challenged.

I don’t mind people opting out. I hope more owners opt out…. That will keep the VSN alive. Of course I wouldn’t advocate for anyone to do it but if they decide on their own then good for them….and the rest of us in the VSN

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
How would people with deeded week ownership at non Mandatory Vistana Signature Experience resorts be able to use their weeks if Vistana Signature Network were to shut down.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
How would people with deeded week ownership at non Mandatory Vistana Signature Experience resorts be able to use their weeks if Vistana Signature Network were to shut down.
It’s not going to shut down but it may not have the availability at 8 months it once did. Now that Marriott has full control of the inventory in secrecy, the VSN may not be as beneficial for owners with Star options usage.

Legally Home resort usage will always be available

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s not going to shut down but it may not have the availability at 8 months it once did. Now that Marriott has full control of the inventory in secrecy, the VSN may not be as beneficial for owners with Star options usage.

Legally Home resort usage will always be available
“Legally” all they have to provide is a week within the home resort season. Maybe not the week you wanted, but it satisfies the legal contractual obligations. There could be a lot of gray area there. How easy is it for MVC to starve the home resort inventory?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe this is why Marriott threw the 8/9 resale rule in their contracts.
I haven't seen anything actually in a contract or in the Network Rules that lists the 8/9 resale restriction. All I ever saw was in an email saying that that restriction would exist, though it hasn't seemed to manifest in a concrete way anywhere I can find it now that the Network Rules have actually been amended. Have you actually seen anything besides the email?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Exactly. So many vistana owners have already begun opting out. Marriott didn’t expect most vistana owners to be happy with their one resort and have a skeptical mindset. We all know that Marriott did a terrible job with this roll out. For the longest time we’ve heard how great they were back in 2010 with the DC rollou, But this is just terrible
Really? The 2010 rollout was great? Not sure who you heard that from but it wasn't anyone on TUG, that's for sure.

Prior to the 2010 rollout there was rampant speculation for YEARS that a points system was coming with ALL of it fueled by sales reps who had no idea what they were talking about. The only "warning" we were given prior to 6/20/10 by MVC corporate was a couple of surveys that measured interest in a points options but didn't in any way state definitively that a points option was a done deal. The rollout itself came with no advance warning and consisted of changes to the owners' website shortly after midnight on that Sunday evening which included a blurb about a "new and exciting" program, and links to the legal docs that may as well have been written in Sanskrit for all the familiarity Marriott Weeks Owners could have been expected to have with an overlay points system. For months after the phone lines were jammed and the website was clunky even with the limited DC functions that could be performed on it, which weren't very many at all compared to today.

Yep, the Vistana rollout isn't clean. It's difficult to navigate and there are obvious failures that need correcting, not at all limited to the many Club Dues issues. But you're living in an alternate universe if you think that the 6/20/10 Marriott Destination Club rollout was any easier for existing Marriott owners at the time. The reality is, Vistana owners/members are lightyears ahead of where Marriott owners/members were in 2010, and with the benefit of the experience of so many who came before you, your learning curve isn't nearly as steep.

I get it, it's understandable that people are ticked off at having to learn something new with a system that obviously wasn't tweaked to perfection prior to the rollout. But from where the 2010 Marriott owners sat, you have no idea how much worse it could be for you. (And realize, this criticism is coming from someone who said for years prior to the 2010 rollout that a marriage of Disney's points system with Marriott's resort network would be my ideal timeshare ownership. I got just what I wanted and jumped in with both feet almost immediately, but even I recognized that the 2010 rollout was a disaster unseen since.)

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Really? The 2010 rollout was great? Not sure who you heard that from but it wasn't anyone on TUG, that's for sure.

Prior to the 2010 rollout there was rampant speculation for YEARS that a points system was coming with ALL of it fueled by sales reps who had no idea what they were talking about. The only "warning" we were given prior to 6/20/10 by MVC corporate was a couple of surveys that mentioned points options but didn't in any way state definitively that a points option was a done deal. The rollout itself came with no advance warning and consisted of changes to the owners' website shortly after midnight on that Sunday evening which included a blurb about a "new and exciting" program, and links to the legal docs that may as well have been written in Sanskrit for all the familiarity Marriott Weeks Owners could have been expected to have with an overlay points system.

Yep, the Vistana rollout isn't clean. It's difficult to navigate and there are obvious failures that need correcting, not at all limited to the many Club Dues issues. But you're living in an alternate universe if you think that the 6/20/10 Marriott Destination Club rollout was any easier for existing Marriott owners at the time. The reality is, Vistana owners/members are lightyears ahead of where Marriott owners/members were in 2010, and with the benefit of the experience of so many who came before you, your learning curve isn't nearly as steep.

I get it, it's understandable that people are ticked off at having to learn something new with a system that obviously wasn't tweaked to perfection prior to the rollout. But from where the 2010 Marriott owners sat, you have no idea how much worse it could be for you.
Interesting, based on some of the things posted here, it made it seem like while there were learning curves back then, it was much more clear cut when it was rolled out.

This is a much larger onion and at every layer, there is a disaster

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Interesting, based on some of the things posted here, it made it seem like while there were learning curves back then, it was much more clear cut when it was rolled out.

This is a much larger onion and at every layer, there is a disaster
I did like the "rip the bandaid off" approach that they did in 2010. Yes, there were lots of rumors and similar sales rep lies about the new program. This time around though, it seems like there was truly a process to sanction lies by salespeople. The whole soft rollout was launched at the sales level. It didn't seem like they knew how everything would work and convinced many people that they had to buy more points in order to participate. The soft rollout of this basically provided a licence to the sales team to make up lies and mistruths to boost sales and it looks like the push in this direction came from top levels of the organization.

Last edited: