• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CATARACT surgery and specialty lenses

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Followup visit with the eye surgeon went great. My right eye (the "good" one) is testing at 20/25, trending toward 20/20 - on the day after surgery. He expects it will be a solid 20/20 by the time it's healed. Left eye is hovering between 20/30 and 20/25 after two weeks, and will likely stay there. But in combination with the extra-dominant, high-performing right eye, it looks like I won't be needing glasses at all - probably not even readers. Things have improved just since this morning, and now I can easily see my computer screen, laptop screen, and even my cell phone, all without glasses. The readers I bought will need to be returned to the store. I just don't need them.

I am absolutely gobsmacked. I've worn glasses for 65 years. I never expected to not need them. shaka Stay tuned...

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Duplicate posting.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cataract surgery involves removing the clouded natural lens of the eye and replacing it with a clearer synthetic lens. It’s one of the most common and successful surgeries today, being performed three million times each year in the United States.

Traditional or Laser Cataract Surgery Article

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have to figure in flying and scuba diving, post op.

I am going to have to plan on cataract surgery for next year. I have dive trips planned for Dec and Apr, so either in between or after April.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I'm curious to hear from anyone who chose the Alcon Vivity lens. How does this lens implant perform for you? Any comments about the quality of your distance, intermediate (arms length, computer screen), and near (reading) vision? How often do you need glasses for reading, and is this dependent on lighting conditions?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
It's my turn tomorrow to have my right eye cataract surgery. I have enough astigmatism to warrant getting the toric lens. It's $1,500 per eye that I will be responsible for. She believes that I will have better distance vision than with monodical lens but has left it up to me and Is going to call tonight and we can talk about it more and I can give her my decision. It's not the money, we can afford it. I've read about the possibility of the lens shifting in the early days. And of possibly still having halos and glare problems. Here's hoping....

Anyone think it's a mistake?

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It's my turn tomorrow to have my right eye cataract surgery. I have enough astigmatism to warrant getting the toric lens. It's $1,500 per eye that I will be responsible for. She believes that I will have better distance vision than with monodical lens but has left it up to me and Is going to call tonight and we can talk about it more and I can give her my decision. It's not the money, we can afford it. I've read about the possibility of the lens shifting in the early days. And of possibly still having halos and glare problems. Here's hoping....

Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes. I can't speak to toric lens, I did not need them. Always scary to have surgery, no matter the type. But eye surgery sure has because incredibly amazing and successful.

Note, I've only had one eye done thus far (I'll do my 2nd one in the next year or so, it's not nearly as bad as the one I had done). I have an 'Intraocular Lens' by Johnson & Johnson. It adjusts for my reading vision and I really never wear glasses anymore - for super small print I may have to find good lighting. My eye doctor is recommending I get the new adjustable lens when I get my 2nd eye done - I need to read up and decide about that. (And I continue to curse companies that create really hard to read labels (super small or I just got a credit card that is medium blue with black (very hard to read) letters). You would think there would a higher awareness regarding readability (the white letters on the card are easy enough to read)).

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

As I've mentioned upthread, I have the toric in my left eye, and a regular lens in my right.

I went with the toric in the right eye because the ophthalmologist said the left eye would still need correction (i.e., glasses) with a regular lens. I wasn't sure if it was worth it, but I was encouraged by a friend who had the toric lenses installed and was pleased. After having the toric in my left eye, I told the ophthalmologist I wanted toric in the right eye as well. After doing some measurements, she advised against it; she said the astigmatism in that eye was not in the lens, so the toric would offer almost no benefit.

I would recommend going with the toric. As I was going through the process of deciding about toric for my left eye, I figured that there was a one-way decision there. If didn't do toric and later wanted it, by then it would be too late.

I don't know anything about whether a toric is more apt to shift after implant than a standard lens. Nothing about that was mentioned to me.

I do still have some minor halo and glare issues. These seem independent of the type of lens; the residual halo and glare is the same in both eyes.

And I hasten to add that the halo and glare is minor and is at most a minor impediment. That's a huge contrast from before, when the glare from a bright lights at nightime would take up as much as two-thirds of my field of vision, and would inhibit vision in the remaining area.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's my update so far re: Light Adjustable Lenses. It's been 6 weeks since they were implanted. This was to allow the surgery to fully heal before any focus adjustments were made. The ophthalmologist suggested that because of 20some year old AK in one (right-dominant) eye and post LASIK in both. He felt that the vision would be 'tunable' after the surgery was done.

Post surgery, my left- non dominant eye just took a short adjustment to correct to 20/40. The right one has issues with halos and ghost images. On measurement, my distant vision isn't consistent. One moment, it'll seem quite clear and after a blink or two, all I see is a squiggly line. The optometrist is frustrated- as am I- that the result isn't consistent. She wants to blame dry eyes and has prescribed 'high use of eye drops.

Yesterday was adjustment #2, and I'm scheduled for a 3rd- and hopefully final adjustment and possible lock-in of the adjustable lenses next Wednesday. Stay tuned.

Jim

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I just got a credit card that is medium blue with black (very hard to read) letters). You would think there would a higher awareness regarding readability (the white letters on the card are easy enough to read)).
I think that's a security feature, making it more difficult for someone to look over your shoulder and read your card number. But I fully agree that it makes it difficult for me, the card holder, to read the numbers when I need to!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Surgery on right eye went well with toric lens this morning. I had no pain at all during surgery. They gave me versed (spelled?) and fentanyl and I slept all day once home and still feel groggy. I have a clear plastic eye patch and three eyedrops that have to be put in four times a day for two weeks at least five minutes apart. One is a prednisone that tapers down the second week. My surgical eye vision is blurry and not different yet. I can wear my prescription glasses over the shield and see just enough to read a bit. Post op visit tomorrow. I did this through the Storm Eye Institute at the Medical University of SC and a resident was in the room but only to observe. Thank you all for your detailed responses! Tuggers are the best!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surgery on right eye went well with toric lens this morning. I had no pain at all during surgery. They gave me versed (spelled?) and fentanyl and I slept all day once home and still feel groggy. I have a clear plastic eye patch and three eyedrops that have to be put in four times a day for two weeks at least five minutes apart. One is a prednisone that tapers down the second week. My surgical eye vision is blurry and not different yet. I can wear my prescription glasses over the shield and see just enough to read a bit. Post op visit tomorrow. I did this through the Storm Eye Institute at the Medical University of SC and a resident was in the room but only to observe. Thank you all for your detailed responses! Tuggers are the best!
You'll be good as new in a day or two. The drops are kind of a PITA, but not too onerous after the first 3-or 4- a days. I'm having to wear these no-prescription wrap-around glasses to shield my eyes from UV light that can adjust the lenses. I have faith that in the end it'll all be worth it, but to be honest, I'm having some 'buyers' remorse' about it. My preferred optometrist guy has said that he'll dial my old 'script into the machine so I can compare my 'new' vision with what I had when I made the decision to go with the adjustable lenses. Time will tell.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I've opted for surgery after my upcoming dive trip in April. Just working out which option is going to be best for me. I am only a recent eye glass wearer, last 5 years only, but these cataracts have changed my vision for the worse, and rapidly. Night vision is very bad. I also have astigmitism in both eyes, so that is another consideration.

My regular eye Dr. recommended this one cataract place, but they are saying $4300 per eye for "Active Life Lens" upgrade, their term not something I've found elsewhere. But that is nearly 3X what I've heard from others. This Lens is suppose to correct Near, Mid and Distance vision. It should allow me a result of no glasses at all. Just correcting the cataract and the astigmatism but still needing glass for near and mid, they are quoting $2500 per eye for the lense.

I could opt for standard lens, with mono vision. One eye for reading and one eye for distance, but having never done that, I don't know if that is the best option for me.

Now I am just more confused. Makes me wonder if eye doctors are getting kickbacks, LOL.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
After surgery, I tested 20/20 in both eyes. But I still didn't think my vision was as sharp as it should be, particularly for reading and sitting in front of a monitor. So I got a prescription for work station glasses.

That was a year ago. The glasses were great, but in the intervening year I can tell that my eyesight has changed. Sometime soon, I'm going to have another vision check and get new glasses.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I've opted for surgery after my upcoming dive trip in April. Just working out which option is going to be best for me. I am only a recent eye glass wearer, last 5 years only, but these cataracts have changed my vision for the worse, and rapidly. Night vision is very bad. I also have astigmitism in both eyes, so that is another consideration.

My regular eye Dr. recommended this one cataract place, but they are saying $4300 per eye for "Active Life Lens" upgrade, their term not something I've found elsewhere. But that is nearly 3X what I've heard from others. This Lens is suppose to correct Near, Mid and Distance vision. It should allow me a result of no glasses at all. Just correcting the cataract and the astigmatism but still needing glass for near and mid, they are quoting $2500 per eye for the lense.

I could opt for standard lens, with mono vision. One eye for reading and one eye for distance, but having never done that, I don't know if that is the best option for me.

Now I am just more confused. Makes me wonder if eye doctors are getting kickbacks, LOL.
I have mono vision but have had both contacts and then Lasik as mono vision years before my cataract surgery. You would know fairly quickly if you are a good candidate for mono vision if you ask your eye doctor to prescribe contact lenses to see if you brain adjusts quickly. 15 years after Lasik, my reading eye adjusted for distance and I had a single contact lens to correct back to mono vision before getting my cataract surgery.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have astigmatism that fell within the range for toric lens and was told they would help my distance but i will have to wear readers. Lens made by Alcon.

I tried mono vision with contacts and my brain would never coordinate the two so I knew not to use those for surgery. Didn’t have much luck with multi focal contacts either.

Have not heard of “Active Life Lens.” Multifocal?

Let us know how it goes!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Re- taping eye patch on I noticed thst my eye is still fully dilated. How ling does that last?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re- taping eye patch on I noticed thst my eye is still fully dilated. How ling does that last?
My dilation passed in 3-4 hours. If it hasn't got back to normal tomorrow morning, call the ophthalmologist's office and ask.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My dilation passed in 3-4 hours. If it hasn't got back to normal tomorrow morning, call the ophthalmologist's office and ask.
The pupil was smaller by my post op visit at 10 AM but she said still dilated a bit and that it was normal.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I had my 24 hour post op appointment today. I told her I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping for an "ah ha" moment and I hadn't had one. Of course she said it was too early. She said it could take up to 3-4 months. Also that some people put it off too long and those with the worst have the biggest change. She's operated on some people who waited until they were actually blind! Mine were ready but not really bad.

She said I'd had a major operation even though I had no pain, no memory of it and it was fairly quick. Also that I have very dry eyes and that the drops I have to use post op are also very drying. My cornea is healthy today and my vision with that eye was 20/40 which she said is good for 24 hours post op. No sign of the lens slipping.

I understand why some people wish that they had both at the same time though I also realize that's a pretty big risk. It's a pain to try to read or do anything without glasses! I can cover my post op eye with a gauze pad and put my RX glasses on and see enough to read for awhile but my eye becomes weary pretty soon. And I can't believe how much of my life involves bending over from the waist which I am not supposed to do yet! I'm trying to remember to squat but not always possible and too many automatic "Oops I wasn't supposed to do that." moments.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She said they put drops in to dilate and also drops to numb the eye three times pre-op and also in the operating room.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
She said they put drops in to dilate and also drops to numb the eye three times pre-op and also in the operating room.
Yep. The same here. one each dilation & numbing at the office, then at least 2 more at the surgery center. To be sure, there is zero discomfort.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have mono vision but have had both contacts and then Lasik as mono vision years before my cataract surgery.
I wore contact lenses for 50 years but stopped 5 years ago [too PITA]. For the last 15 years of contacts I used monovision, which I had no trouble adapting to. I'm assuming that means I should be able to adapt to monovision easily with cataract lenses when the time comes. Does anyone know, or have experience with this? Thanks!

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I wore contact lenses for 50 years but stopped 5 years ago [too PITA]. For the last 15 years of contacts I used monovision, which I had no trouble adapting to. I'm assuming that means I should be able to adapt to monovision easily with cataract lenses when the time comes. Does anyone know, or have experience with this? Thanks!
I had no trouble with my monovision after my cataract surgery. My reading eye lens was replaced 5 years before I had to have my distance eye lens replaced. It has been almost 3 years after monovision cataract surgery and still working fine. The only issue is that I need a note from the eye doctor when I renew my driver's license to let them know that I have monovision and cannot read the eye chart equally with both eyes. It has not been an issue.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well I got my "Ah ha" moment! Looked out to the courtyard with surgical eye and everything was bright, clear and colorful. Non surgical eye was dull and yellowish. Yay!

Now, is it a problem if I wear my pre-surgery bifocal prescription glasses looking through the lens with the post surgical eye which was corrected for distance vision? I guess I'm wondering if I'll "mess the surgery up." I can see the tv better without the glasses but for reading they work pretty well. However, I find myself walking around wearing them instead of just using them as reading glasses.