• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CATARACT surgery and specialty lenses

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had it done 11 years ago and I think I am ready for the procedure to reduce cloudiness

Anyhow, I discovered that with the tecnis lenses I have a blind spot playing ping pong when the ball comes right at me. I have the same issue with pickleball. My grandson discovered it and just about skunked me

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I had my final followup this morning. Final stats:
Right eye (surgical, distance vision, dominant eye). 20/20
Left eye (cataract surgery 2 years ago, near vision) 20/25

So, no glasses or contacts for first time in many, many years. I even had to wear readers having lasik surgery in 2009. Now, nothing but sunglasses!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I had my final followup this morning. Final stats:
Right eye (surgical, distance vision, dominant eye). 20/20
Left eye (cataract surgery 2 years ago, near vision) 20/25

So, no glasses or contacts for first time in many, many years. I even had to wear readers having lasik surgery in 2009. Now, nothing but sunglasses!

That's great news! I hope to do as well. My initial numbers at the day-after-surgery follow-up was 20/40 in my left eye, with a smidge of reading letters on the 20/20 line. The surgeon said that'll likely improve as my eye heals. I've noticed things are even more clear now, three days post-op on that eye, so I suspect they've improved. This is the eye that was about 20/200 uncorrected previously. So these numbers are amazing to me. It's never been this clear, even with glasses. Looking forward to the right eye being done on the 20th.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@b2bailey: I tried to reply to your post #72 above, but the formatting was weird. Your comment was in response to me saying my fears pre-surgery were all in my head.

The surgery was so much easier than I had expected. It's eye surgery, and that's kind of scary. I was concerned about pain, how do I not blink while I stare up while they're cutting into my eye, and all that. Put into simplest terms, I was completely over-anticipating things. They put drops in my eye that completely numbed and desensitized things, and then gave me an anesthetic that relaxed me right through it all. So when the surgery started I knew what they were doing, but I didn't care. I was relaxed, and it was over very quick, lasting only a few minutes, and they were done. Easy.

So I wanted to share that anticipation of surgery is important, but in this case, anticipation of a great outcome is even better. Having just had one eye done, I'm anxious to get the other one done. The results are pretty amazing.

Dave

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@b2bailey: I tried to reply to your post #72 above, but the formatting was weird. Your comment was in response to me saying my fears pre-surgery were all in my head.

The surgery was so much easier than I had expected. It's eye surgery, and that's kind of scary. I was concerned about pain, how do I not blink while I stare up while they're cutting into my eye, and all that. Put into simplest terms, I was completely over-anticipating things. They put drops in my eye that completely numbed and desensitized things, and then gave me an anesthetic that relaxed me right through it all. So when the surgery started I knew what they were doing, but I didn't care. I was relaxed, and it was over very quick, lasting only a few minutes, and they were done. Easy.

So I wanted to share that anticipation of surgery is important, but in this case, anticipation of a great outcome is even better. Having just had one eye done, I'm anxious to get the other one done. The results are pretty amazing.

Dave
Thank you, very reassuring.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I thought it might be fun if I inject a bit of history into this thread. For all of you who are enjoying the result of your cataract surgery, where did this technology come from?

There are 2 great innovators you can look up on Wikipedia: Dr. Harold Ridley and Dr. Charles Kelman.

Normally, the eye absolutely hates foreign matter. Foreign material that enters the eye (and I'm not talking about things that just get lodged on the surface of the eye) causes severe inflammation, infection, and can lead to loss of the eye if not promptly removed and treated. Dr. Ridley was a British ophthalmologist during WW2. He noticed that Royal Air Force fighter pilots sometimes would get fragments of windshield inside their eyes, and that the eye seemed to tolerate these without getting inflamed. The material used for fighter windshields was called Perspex. Based on this observation, in 1949 he began creating lenses for implantation inside the eye made from this material. Although this material is no longer used for intraocular lens implants (because it is rigid and cannot be folded to pass through a very small incision), that was the very beginning of lens implants.

Dr. Kelman was a US ophthalmologist who was actually responsible for several major innovations in ophthalmology. He was the first to propose the surgical technique that is still in use today, phacoemulsification. ("Phaco" means lens.) In the 1960s, he designed an instrument using ultrasound to soften, break into fragments, and aspirate (suction from the eye) a cataract. At the time, cataract surgery required a large incision. The early phacoemulsification machines were somewhat crude by today's standards, and the technique didn't really catch on until the mid-1980s. Spurring the popularity of phacoemulsification was the development of foldable intraocular lenses in the early 1980s. With a foldable lens implant, Kelman's phacoemulsification technique allowed the incision necessary for cataract surgery to be reduced from 11–12 mm to 3 mm. This greatly reduced post-operative recovery time and problems with surgically-induced astigmatism from a larger incision.

There were numerous other innovations along the way, and the technology does continue to evolve. But Drs. Ridley and Kelman stand out.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Eye Drops​

Staring at screens means we may blink less often and less completely, causing our eyes to miss out on much-needed hydration which may lead to dryness, irritation, and discomfort. Any Tuggers use REFRESH® DIGITAL Lubrican Eye Drops with HydroCell™ technology to relieve, soothe, and provide comfort available in a preservative-free formula.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
About four years ago, one of my mother's eyes became red. I thought at first that she had pink eye. Took a photo and sent it to PC doc and he said it wasn't. Ophthalmologist said "dry eyes." Said to use eye drops four times a day. It helped it feel better but the red remained. She is one of those people who can't put eye drops in her eyes and, for us, it's not easy to keep up with the four times a day schedule. Next visit we saw another ophthalmologist in the same office and he said that her lower lid did not touch the eye to deliver the moisture/tears. A little area sticks out. He said she could have surgery but well...at 97...just do the drops. This year at 101 he referred her for surgery! We have her first appointment in November.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I had surgeries two and four weeks ago today. My post-op instructions say don't go in the ocean or in swimming pools but don't say for how long.

I'm in Myrtle Beach. It's a beautiful day and the sea water temp is 80 to 83 degrees, depending on which source you believe. I'd love to hop in the ocean but don't want to take a chance of messing up something that has gone so well.

Anyone have an idea how long these post-op instructions should last?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had surgeries two and four weeks ago today. My post-op instructions say don't go in the ocean or in swimming pools but don't say for how long.

I'm in Myrtle Beach. It's a beautiful day and the sea water temp is 80 to 83 degrees, depending on which source you believe. I'd love to hop in the ocean but don't want to take a chance of messing up something that has gone so well.

Anyone have an idea how long these post-op instructions should last?
Jim, there are some smart people here on TUG, but this is your vision. I suggest you call your doctor and don’t take any chances. Get the answer you need, not the one you want. Good luck!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Jim, there are some smart people here on TUG, but this is your vision. I suggest you call your doctor and don’t take any chances. Get the answer you need, not the one you want. Good luck!

I would have called today but Tuesday is his surgery day. I'll try tomorrow.

Since we all seem to have nearly identical instructions, I thought I'd ask.

I'm not going to do anything stupid.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ya'll are making me so excited to get older!

All the fun medical procedures I get to look forward to... :(

The hard part of getting older is finding your systems are slowing down or starting to not work as well, and your quality of life begins to lag. Things like cataract surgery is something that gives you back a lot of your youthful options. You don't even realize your vision is being stolen until it is so bad, you're straining to do normal activities.

I've had one eye done, (the other one is being done tomorrow.) The difference in vision between the two is dramatic. The corrected eye is clear, colors are bright, and there is a sharpness to my sight that has been missing for years. The uncorrected eye is blurred, the colors are yellowed, and I'm anxious to have it done, so things are equalized. I'm excited to be able to see clearly again, perhaps even without glasses. Who knew?

What we've heard for years is true: Getting older is not for sissies. :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
What we've heard for years is true: Getting older is not for sissies. :D

Dave
My grandmother said this same thing from the 1950's. True then. True now. The only difference is we understand it now. 60/70 years ago it was just an old person's saying.

Jim

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Ya'll are making me so excited to get older!

All the fun medical procedures I get to look forward to... :(

LOL, even cars need routine maintenance to continue to serve their purpose.

I’m going to the hospital today for a Pacemaker battery replacement (after 12 years). My wife is calling it “operation recharge Brian”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would have called today but Tuesday is his surgery day. I'll try tomorrow.

Since we all seem to have nearly identical instructions, I thought I'd ask.

I'm not going to do anything stupid.

To close the loop on this, I called the ophthalmology clinic and asked the question. The receptionist checked with the surgeon and called me back. The surgeon said it has been over two weeks since my last surgery and I "can have my normal life back."

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m going to the hospital today for a Pacemaker battery replacement (after 12 years). My wife is calling it “operation recharge Brian”.
I'll have one of those in the next couple of years, too. Hopefully much easier deal than the original installation. Let me in on how it goes.

Jim

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I'll have one of those in the next couple of years, too. Hopefully much easier deal than the original installation. Let me in on how it goes.

Jim

Jim, all went very well and easy. I’m feeling g very well. Actually they replace the whole Pacemaker with the newest model…just reinsert the wire into the new one.
I’m in recovery now and have to stay about 3 hours til I go home.

Oh and the Medtronic rep who was in the cath lab during the procedure set me up with a Blue tooth app on my phone that connects/ reads my PM. No more external monitor devices to check it!

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, all went very well and easy. I’m feeling g very well. Actually they replace the whole Pacemaker with the newest model…just reinsert the wire into the new one.
I’m in recovery now and have to stay about 3 hours til I go home.

Oh and the Medtronic rep who was in the cath lab during the procedure set me up with a Blue tooth app on my phone that connects/ reads my PM. No more external monitor devices to check it!

Good luck.
Excellent news. I thought the battery reinstall would probably be the upgrade. I'll see the cardio docs before too long. My remote monitor has been checking on me a bit more than usual lately, so I'll bring it up.

Glad you're doing well.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good morning, everyone. I had my second cataract surgery yesterday. All I can say is Holy Cow! It's a very different visual world today, even better than after I had my first eye done two weeks ago. Things are still healing, I realize, and will improve over the next few weeks. But as of this moment, my vision without glasses of any kind, is clearer than I think it's been since I was a teenager. I can read my laptop screen better without any glasses than with either of the reading glasses I bought (two different power versions.) Watching TV across the room is much easier, too. I can see that I'll need some power of readers for very close work. It'll be interesting to find out what the surgeon says during the followup appointment today.

All in, I'm extremely happy, and I'm excited to see how things sort out once my eyes are totally healed. Thanks for the great advice you've given me about this. Tuggers, rock!

Dave

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm up for surgery on left eye at end of October.
I've started to trouble myself about sleeping post surgery -- I'm a side sleeper.
Any problems worth mentioning?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m a side sleeper and I didn’t have any problems. I had to wear a protective cup over the surgical right eye for 3 nights and I laid on my left side those nights just so I didn’t put any pressure on that side of my face. I also wear a sleep mask so after the first three nights, I went back to wearing it. My wife also had the surgery just before I did and she didn’t have any problems either.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm up for surgery on left eye at end of October.
I've started to trouble myself about sleeping post surgery -- I'm a side sleeper.
Any problems worth mentioning?

No problems sleeping on your side. They ask you to wear a cup thing taped on your face to cover your surgical eye, to keep you from accidentally rubbing your eye in your sleep. It's easy, and not a problem. My surgeon wanted me to wear it four nights. I wore it for six with my first eye, just to be totally safe. It wasn't necessary to wear it the extra nights. I'll wear it just the four nights with this second eye. You won't have any trouble sleeping with it at all.

Dave

Last edited: