• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CATARACT surgery and specialty lenses

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So I had my pre-op appointment today. The surgeon says I'm not a candidate for multifocal lenses, so the best option they offered me is Toric single focal lenses with astigmatism correction. I chose that, and Far Vision as the single focal lens. They say I "could" end up not needing glasses except for close work, in which case Readers might be enough. The worst that would happen is I'll end up with prescription glasses, but with a greatly reduced prescription. The first surgery is in two weeks, and the second surgery two weeks after that.

I'm curious to see what happens, and how it goes. Pun intended. :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the clock is ticking for me too. Since I had LASIK & PRK back in about 2000ish I have rarely worn my bifocals, and can pass a driving eye test without them. But time matches on and I'm seeing (or NOT seeing) the evidence. Paula got both hers done last year, and has those 'granny glasses' perched on the end of her nose. Gawd don't let me get those!

Good luck with it. My $.02 worth? The outcome really depends on using the eye drops religiously post op.

Jim

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Not to highjack this thread, but for people who have macular degeneration, their center vision is reduced or ... gone. Some scientists came up with a telephoto lens implant for those with MD. They only put it in one eye. One eye gets the telephoto and the other eye provides the peripheral vision.

BTW, I have MD myself but can still see fairly well.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I was looking for something else in the TUG Lounge and stumbled on this thread.

I'm in that two-week period between surgeries. Right eye was done on 8/22 and the left eye will be done on 9/5. The morning after the first surgery, my right eye was 20/20.

I had a consult with an eye surgeon for laser cataract surgery. It was a great presentation until they got to price -- $1,600 per eye, and $3,895 per eye with the multi-focal lens. As all of you who have experienced cataract surgery know, Medicare and I guess most insurance policies don't cover laser cataract surgery because it is optional. Anyway, that surgeon said he does about 1,000 surgeries per year and 95% of them are with a laser.

My wife suggested I try the ophthalmology clinic at Fort Belvoir. I have been off TriCare Prime for a decade or so and didn't think the Army would do anything. Wrong! Apparently the dlinic is not stressed and a schedule was set up. Fort Belvoir doesn't have a laser and neither does Walter Reed Bethesda. So, the Army surgeon does only non-laser surgeries. I figured he probably has more current experience with non-laser surgery than the civilian surgeon so I opted for the Army solution.

The right eye went extremely well. Other than a scratchy feeling the first twelve hours or so, I've had no complaints whatsoever. I'm still wearing the same glasses. I guess I could pop out the right lens but I haven't done that. After the surgery this Tuesday, I'll have a one-day and one-week follow-up, then about a month later, I'll have an appointment with the optometrist and get a new prescription.

For years, I've had three sets of bifocals. One has distance and reading, the second has mid-range (computer) and reading. Plus sunglasses with distance and reading. I should be able to scale down a bit!

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the clock is ticking for me too. Since I had LASIK & PRK back in about 2000ish I have rarely worn my bifocals, and can pass a driving eye test without them. But time matches on and I'm seeing (or NOT seeing) the evidence. Paula got both hers done last year, and has those 'granny glasses' perched on the end of her nose. Gawd don't let me get those!

Good luck with it. My $.02 worth? The outcome really depends on using the eye drops religiously post op.

Jim
Eye drops -- when I told my doctor I was reluctant to have cataract surgery because of the eye drop regimen, he said it's thing of the past. (I live alone and have never been good with drops -- even Visine.)

Any comments regarding post options care?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

I'm in that two-week period between surgeries. Right eye was done on 8/22 and the left eye will be done on 9/5. The morning after the first surgery, my right eye was 20/20.

I had a consult with an eye surgeon for laser cataract surgery. It was a great presentation until they got to price -- $1,600 per eye, and $3,895 per eye with the multi-focal lens. As all of you who have experienced cataract surgery know, Medicare and I guess most insurance policies don't cover laser cataract surgery because it is optional. Anyway, that surgeon said he does about 1,000 surgeries per year and 95% of them are with a laser.

My wife suggested I try the ophthalmology clinic at Fort Belvoir. I have been off TriCare Prime for a decade or so and didn't think the Army would do anything. Wrong! Apparently the dlinic is not stressed and a schedule was set up. Fort Belvoir doesn't have a laser and neither does Walter Reed Bethesda. So, the Army surgeon does only non-laser surgeries. I figured he probably has more current experience with non-laser surgery than the civilian surgeon so I opted for the Army solution.

The right eye went extremely well. Other than a scratchy feeling the first twelve hours or so, I've had no complaints whatsoever. I'm still wearing the same glasses. I guess I could pop out the right lens but I haven't done that. After the surgery this Tuesday, I'll have a one-day and one-week follow-up, then about a month later, I'll have an appointment with the optometrist and get a new prescription.

For years, I've had three sets of bifocals. One has distance and reading, the secondhas mid-range (computer) and reading. Plus sunglasses with distance and reading. I should be able to scale down a bit!

That's good you were able to get it done through the military. As I understand it, Medicare only pays for the basic lens procedure, but not for the type that correct astigmatism. That's where the added cost comes in. I think the decision is based on your prescription, and what needs to be fixed. If a basic lens will do the trick, no need to pay more than that. In my case, I wanted more correction than the basic surgery, so I'm paying for the more involved procedure.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Eye drops -- when I told my doctor I was reluctant to have cataract surgery because of the eye drop regimen, he said it's thing of the past. (I live alone and have never been good with drops -- even Visine.)

The ttpe of surgery determines whether you need eye drops. There is a certain steroid injected during surgery that takes the place of the drops, rendering after-surgery use unnecessary in many cases. Ask your surgeon.

Dave

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Cataract in one eye for years that never has affected my vision. I have monovision contacts which work fine for me. I suppose I'll need surgery eventually but until then, near lens in the left and far lens in the right is fine for everything including reading and flying.

Breezy52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark Platinum Owner
Does anyone know approximately what it will cost when tweaking the light lens is needed?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first surgery is in two weeks, and the second surgery two weeks after that.

I'm curious to see what happens, and how it goes. Pun intended. :D
When's the BIG first day?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know approximately what it will cost when tweaking the light lens is needed?
If I understand what you're asking- about an adjustment- it's probably included in the price. But to be sure, why not call your own ophthalmologist and ask?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
When's the BIG first day?

Wednesday the 6th is the first surgery. (Second is on the 20th.) I've filled out all the pre-op paperwork and such. Now it's just the countdown. I'm ready to git 'er done! :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wednesday the 6th is the first surgery. (Second is on the 20th.) I've filled out all the pre-op paperwork and such. Now it's just the countdown. I'm ready to git 'er done! :D

Dave
shaka

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I was given three small vials of eye drops -- a steroid, an antibiotic, and a NSAID. Use all three four times a day for a week. The antibiotic stops after a week but the others continue for a few more weeks tapering down to once per day. Eye drops might be a thing of the past but the US Army doesn't think so! However, I've heard nothing about any continuing requirement to use eye drops after the first few weeks if that is your concern. That may be a patient-specific thing.

Several restrictions were imposed -- don't rub that eye, no "heavy" lifting (>5 pounds!), don't sleep on that side, no swimming pools, etc. All things that made sense (except for the five pound thing).

Tomorrow, I have a 9 AM show time for the second surgery. I will be ecstatic if it goes like the first one.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I was given three small vials of eye drops -- a steroid, an antibiotic, and a NSAID. Use all three four times a day for a week. The antibiotic stops after a week but the others continue for a few more weeks tapering down to once per day. Eye drops might be a thing of the past but the US Army doesn't think so! However, I've heard nothing about any continuing requirement to use eye drops after the first few weeks if that is your concern. That may be a patient-specific thing.

Several restrictions were imposed -- don't rub that eye, no "heavy" lifting (>5 pounds!), don't sleep on that side, no swimming pools, etc. All things that made sense (except for the five pound thing).

Tomorrow, I have a 9 AM show time for the second surgery. I will be ecstatic if it goes like the first one.
I didn't watch my grandkids for 2 weeks. Something about the pressure when you lift goes to your eye? Something like that... (As well as the other precautions you noted, same for me. And did drops. I am not a fan of moisturizing drops, but should be...I think. I'm not sure how important that aspect is in the long run).

Best of luck tomorrow, nice to get it over with. Let us know! You, too, @DaveNV - look forward to a good report from both of you!!

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn't watch my grandkids for 2 weeks. Something about the pressure when you lift goes to your eye? Something like that... (As well as the other precautions you noted, same for me. And did drops. I am not a fan of moisturizing drops, but should be...I think. I'm not sure how important that aspect is in the long run).

Best of luck tomorrow, nice to get it over with. Let us know! You, too, @DaveNV - look forward to a good report from both of you!!

I get the pressure thing but what would happen? Pop that lens out? I'll ask tomorrow!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

I had my surgery on August 1 and I’m still using the NSAID and steroid drops. I was told to use them until gone. I have my final follow-up appointment Friday and I expect them to be gone by then. If not, I’ll ask the ophthalmologist if it is necessary to continue using them.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had my surgery on August 1 and I’m still using the NSAID and steroid drops. I was told to use them until gone. I have my final follow-up appointment Friday and I expect them to be gone by then. If not, I’ll ask the ophthalmologist if it is necessary to continue using them.
I have similar directions. Use the NSAID until the bottle runs out or until the steroid ends (four weeks). The ophthalmologist has a refill ready at the pharmacy if I need it.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I had been using Restasis for a few years, twice a day, then regular eye drops from CVS in between if I need them.

oceanblue2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eagle's Nest/Marco Beach, Fl
DRI

Any comments regarding post options ca
I had both of my eyes done on the same day. I didn't have to use drops as something that was referred to as seeds were placed in each eye during the surgery. I couldn't feel them at all but the did the job. Much easier than drops. When DH had his surgery with the same doctor he got drops. He was jealous!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

For years, I've had three sets of bifocals. One has distance and reading, the secondhas mid-range (computer) and reading. Plus sunglasses with distance and reading. I should be able to scale down a bit!
I had both of my eyes done on the same day. I didn't have to use drops as something that was referred to as seeds were placed in each eye during the surgery. I couldn't feel them at all but the did the job. Much easier than drops. When DH had his surgery with the same doctor he got drops. He was jealous!
This is what I'm hoping for.

Sandi Bo

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Oh.. I wanted to do that - both eyes at the same time - couldn't talk my doctor into it. My understanding is it's a precaution - what if something goes wrong... I was willing to go with the risk - it seems like such a perfected procedure. And having to go through everything twice, including the expenses (my surgery was pre-medicare so I had deductibles and copays to consider). But couldn't talk him into it.

I only needed one eye done (sooner or later the 2nd one) so I only did one - but would have done both and gotten it over with if I could!!

Now I'm jealous!!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's good you were able to get it done through the military. As I understand it, Medicare only pays for the basic lens procedure, but not for the type that correct astigmatism. That's where the added cost comes in. I think the decision is based on your prescription, and what needs to be fixed. If a basic lens will do the trick, no need to pay more than that. In my case, I wanted more correction than the basic surgery, so I'm paying for the more involved procedure.

Dave
That is correct. I paid for the torix lens for my right eye, but the eye surgeon said it wouldn't make any significant difference with my left eye because most of the distortion is not associated with the lens in that eye.

In my final session, after both eyes were done, my vision measured 20-20 in each eye. But I still got a prescription for work station glasses because there was still distortion at that range. So I have a workstation glasses which I wear for anything near field.

Further afield the glasses are a nuisance. And that is a big change from pre-op, where I used glasses for almost everything.

Of course, the hugest differences are in restoring color, eliminating dimness, and being able to drive in the dark once again.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That is correct. I paid for the torix lens for my right eye, but the eye surgeon said it wouldn't make any significant difference with my left eye because most of the distortion is not associated with the lens in that eye.

In my final session, after both eyes were done, my vision measured 20-20 in each eye. But I still got a prescription for work station glasses because there was still distortion at that range. So I have a workstation glasses which I wear for anything near field.

Further afield the glasses are a nuisance. And that is a big change from pre-op, where I used glasses for almost everything.

Of course, the hugest differences are in restoring color, eliminating dimness, and being able to drive in the dark once again.

I hope to have that much improvement. I've worn glasses since I was a 5-year-old, so I'm pretty used to it. It'd be nice to not need them, but if I end up having prescription readers, I can certainly be happy with that. Fingers crossed.

Dave

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got home from Surgery #2. All went well although it took longer than the first one.

I asked about the eye drops-free and "seed" that was mentioned above. as an option. The doctor said they do that on occasion. I am taking a blood thinner and the risk of bleeding is greater with the "seed."