• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancel Westgate Resort Timeshare

FNPof1MS

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this group but I do believe that it got my husband and I out of a 21k mistake that we made while vacationing in Gatlinburg. After we got home from vacay, I started reading through all of the documents on the CD Rom that was provided, checking into the interval international program, and realized that there was a lot of things that we were NOT told and things that were told to us in a different manner at closing. Then the light bulb popped on....we are still within the recission period according to the Tennessee state law. I googled some things and found this forum which helped guide me through the recission process. We still haven't received any kind of letter from the resort stating that the contract has been cancelled. Really don't know if we ever will. I am keeping a log of the process and here it is below:

Contract signed 12/28/22 at Westgate Gatlinburg. Rescission periods ends 10 days after signing on 1/6/23.

Postmarked rescission letter USPS Priority Express with return receipt on 1/5/23

Received at Westgate Ocoee FL on 1/6/23 at 10:36a and signed for by Lakeisha Smith

Postmarked a copy of rescission letter with owner kit and computer tablet to Westgate Gatlinburg Certified USPS Priority Mail with return receipt on 1/6/23

Westgate Gatlinburg Received package on 1/9/23 at 9:34 am. Awaiting return receipt.

Westgate removed automatic payment status from account either on 1/9/23 or 1/10/23

I canceled my debit card 1/10/23 and requested a new one to prevent any future charges to card.

1/10/23 at 11:30am received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/11/23 at 12:38pm received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/11/23 at 4:22pm received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/12/23 Received return receipts from Westgate Ocoee FL address and Westgate Gatlinburg TN address.

1/15/23 at 3:41pm received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/16/23 Checked Westgate Owner account online and the account number is no longer linked to the Westgate.com account.

1/17/22 at 11:25am received a call from Brandon Mayes with an Alabama area code. I answered and he was with Westgate trying to find out why we wanted to cancel the contract and what discrepancies we found that were not discussed at closing. Repeatedly told him that it really doesn't matter but we are within our rescission period and by Tennessee state law they must honor our request. Told him that I did not want to receive any more phone calls from anyone at Westgate. Finally he shut up and said that they were working on processing the cancelation and that the refund would be issued in about 2 weeks. 4 minute and 35 second call.

On 1/18/23 I check my bank account and on 1/17/23 had received refund from Westgate Resort back to account in the amount if $609.

This is what has taken place so far with my cancellation process. Hopefully we will receive something in writing acknowledging that the contract has been cancelled. Thank you to the forum for saving us 21k. Warning to all....STEER CLEAR OF WESTGATE PREDATORS!!! They are liars, cheaters, and thieves.

AEdFTp7RWlBrfqZee14PcYgfPoau77gPd9YvXU26R8K5uA=s40-p
ReplyForward

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully we will receive something in writing acknowledging that the contract has been cancelled. Thank you to the forum for saving us 21k. Warning to all....STEER CLEAR OF WESTGATE PREDATORS!!! They are liars, cheaters, and thieves.

Westgate has no legal obligation to provide you with written confirmation of your rescission (cancellation). They are only obligated by law to process your timely and properly submitted rescission and issue a 100% refund within 45 days. No more, no less. Good job and well done! :clap:You are absolutely correct about "Wastegate"; they are lower than pond scum, in my personal opinion.

P.S. Rescission timeframes are determined by individual state law. You are lucky that your encounter was in TN which (along with FL) has the longest rescission period in the U.S. at 10 days. Believe it or not, there are several states in which the allowed rescission period is actually as short as 3 days (although it's 5-7 days in most states). Again, well done avoiding the clutches of slimy Wasteghate. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this group but I do believe that it got my husband and I out of a 21k mistake that we made while vacationing in Gatlinburg. After we got home from vacay, I started reading through all of the documents on the CD Rom that was provided, checking into the interval international program, and realized that there was a lot of things that we were NOT told and things that were told to us in a different manner at closing. Then the light bulb popped on....we are still within the recission period according to the Tennessee state law. I googled some things and found this forum which helped guide me through the recission process. We still haven't received any kind of letter from the resort stating that the contract has been cancelled. Really don't know if we ever will. I am keeping a log of the process and here it is below:

Contract signed 12/28/22 at Westgate Gatlinburg. Rescission periods ends 10 days after signing on 1/6/23.

Postmarked rescission letter USPS Priority Express with return receipt on 1/5/23

Received at Westgate Ocoee FL on 1/6/23 at 10:36a and signed for by Lakeisha Smith

Postmarked a copy of rescission letter with owner kit and computer tablet to Westgate Gatlinburg Certified USPS Priority Mail with return receipt on 1/6/23

Westgate Gatlinburg Received package on 1/9/23 at 9:34 am. Awaiting return receipt.

Westgate removed automatic payment status from account either on 1/9/23 or 1/10/23

I canceled my debit card 1/10/23 and requested a new one to prevent any future charges to card.

1/10/23 at 11:30am received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/11/23 at 12:38pm received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/11/23 at 4:22pm received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/12/23 Received return receipts from Westgate Ocoee FL address and Westgate Gatlinburg TN address.

1/15/23 at 3:41pm received call from Westgate Gatlinburg but I did not answer the call.

1/16/23 Checked Westgate Owner account online and the account number is no longer linked to the Westgate.com account.

1/17/22 at 11:25am received a call from Brandon Mayes with an Alabama area code. I answered and he was with Westgate trying to find out why we wanted to cancel the contract and what discrepancies we found that were not discussed at closing. Repeatedly told him that it really doesn't matter but we are within our rescission period and by Tennessee state law they must honor our request. Told him that I did not want to receive any more phone calls from anyone at Westgate. Finally he shut up and said that they were working on processing the cancelation and that the refund would be issued in about 2 weeks. 4 minute and 35 second call.

On 1/18/23 I check my bank account and on 1/17/23 had received refund from Westgate Resort back to account in the amount if $609.

This is what has taken place so far with my cancellation process. Hopefully we will receive something in writing acknowledging that the contract has been cancelled. Thank you to the forum for saving us 21k. Warning to all....STEER CLEAR OF WESTGATE PREDATORS!!! They are liars, cheaters, and thieves.

ReplyForward
Good Job! You definitely made more than wages by jumping right on to the rescission!

Welcome to TUG. If you are still interested in TS, hang around and learn. Honestly, Wastegate is the worst of the worst. TUG is populated with folks who love our timeshare vacays, and helping others do it on the cheap!

But to start, Buy RESALE, $ave Thou$and$!

Jim

Wingo99

Reaction score
Same way I found this forum, the fine people here helped me rescind my mistake. That was a couple years ago, and still check in here. Congrats on saving all that $$$$, the salesmen are slick liars.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

ReplyForward
Congrats!!!! Now go buy resale

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
But don't buy Westgate resale...
Right never buy Westgate or take it for free. Buy resale somewhere else….anywhere else lol

FNPof1MS

Reaction score

ReplyForward
1/24/23 Update everyone: We actually received a confirmation letter of cancellation from Westgate on 1/24/23 with a receipt for refund also enclosed. I was completely shocked. Again, we are so thankful for finding this site and taking action immediately because we saved a crap load of money!!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I think we are just gonna steer clear of timeshares all together and just continue to vacation like we have in the past.
That’s another good option. If you decide on the timeshare route (which can be great) go for a resale week at one of the big brands like Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, etc.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we are just gonna steer clear of timeshares all together and just continue to vacation like we have in the past.
Not a bad idea but I wouldn't go so far as to "steer clear of timeshares altogether". If you want to vacation again, you can look at the option of renting a TS. There are many good deals to be had by renting. Often, you can rent from an existing owner for less than the MFs. Check out TUG's Last Minute Rentals section. There you can find some rentals for $800/week or less. Also, you can advertise there (no more than 45 days before check-in) that you want to rent from someone. An owner with many points that he can't use might be able to scrounge up something specific for you.

magus95

Reaction score

ReplyForward

ReplyForward
This is very helpful, thank you so much for sharing this. I would like to ask you some questions, l need help.

I just signed this contract last Saturday 26, August.
After going home l read all the reviews and found out this is not a business you can profit from or any investment.

I told the seller l did not want this and that l had a lot of doubts, she told me l needed to contact customer service. But l just started to read the contract and do more research. I sent an email saying that l am using my rescission period to cancel this. A witness signed and l notarized a copy in English and Spanish + a copy of the contract. I added the letter with my foreign country address ( the same as the contract has) and not my US address. However, to send this letter and the kit they gave me separated with UPS, (l added my US address because it can not be international). The next day was delivered and signed by someone. I called Westgate they did not confirm they received the mail ( l sent it to the address they provided in the contract).

I sent it again on September 1 (day 7) l did this from NYC. I notarized and sent this via “Priority Mail” with a return receipt. ( I have pictures of everything) Now l am checking the updates ( it is been more than a day and cit has not been delivered yet and Monday is Labor Day)

Today Sept 3, ( day 10) my reaction period l am gonna send a certified mail, notarized with the same letters in English and Spanish + the copy of the contract they provided.

When l called them, they contacted me with the ( lawyer of West Gate to help you sign the contract) She tried to negotiate with me to stay with them but l told them l did not want to and expressed to her that any time l call they try to do that and that is causing me anxiety, l just called for updates. She told me that she is canceling it and it takes around 20 days, but I do not trust them. (l just want to make sure l am following the right steps to cancel this successfully) l researched online it says sometimes there's is a “fee of cancellation” but there is ok information about this in the contract. Does anyone knows about this?

I am worried because the first mail was notarized and sent via UPS ( l do not have a receipt, just the proof they received it) The other priority email notarized l sent on Sep 1 ( day 7 of the rescission period) was not delivered yet and it has a return receipt but since it was a priority Neill does not think it has the stamp date.

I am sending another one today Sunday ( day 9 of the precision period) l am notarizing and sending via USPS as a. “Certified return receipt mail”.

I am super nervous about this. If you could respond to this and advise 'd appreciate it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is very helpful, thank you so much for sharing this. I would like to ask you some questions, l need help.

After going home l read all the reviews and found out this is not a business you can profit from or any investment.

I told the seller l did not want this and that l had a lot of doubts, she told me l needed to contact customer service. But l just started to read the contract and do more research. I sent an email saying that l am using my rescission period to cancel this. A witness signed and l notarized a copy in English and Spanish + a copy of the contract. I added the letter with my foreign country address ( the same as the contract has) and not my US address. However, to send this letter and the kit they gave me separated with UPS, (l added my US address because it can not be international). The next day was delivered and signed by someone. I called Westgate they did not confirm they received the mail ( l sent it to the address they provided in the contract).

I sent it again on September 1 (day 7) l did this from NYC. I notarized and sent this via “Priority Mail” with a return receipt. ( I have pictures of everything) Now l am checking the updates ( it is been more than a day and cit has not been delivered yet and Monday is Labor Day)

Today Sept 3, ( day 10) my reaction period l am gonna send a certified mail, notarized with the same letters in English and Spanish + the copy of the contract they provided.

When l called them, they contacted me with the ( lawyer of West Gate to help you sign the contract) She tried to negotiate with me to stay with them but l told them l did not want to and expressed to her that any time l call they try to do that and that is causing me anxiety, l just called for updates. She told me that she is canceling it and it takes around 20 days, but I do not trust them. (l just want to make sure l am following the right steps to cancel this successfully) l researched online it says sometimes there's is a “fee of cancellation” but there is ok information about this in the contract. Does anyone knows about this?

I am worried because the first mail was notarized and sent via UPS ( l do not have a receipt, just the proof they received it) The other priority email notarized l sent on Sep 1 ( day 7 of the rescission period) was not delivered yet and it has a return receipt but since it was a priority Neill does not think it has the stamp date.

I am sending another one today Sunday ( day 9 of the precision period) l am notarizing and sending via USPS as a. “Certified return receipt mail”.

I am super nervous about this. If you could respond to this and advise 'd appreciate it.
RELAX!

You have done everything more than properly. This seller will try any- and everything to get you to sign up, but even THEY know not to mess with the rescission laws. They WILL process your rescission. That said, they are under no obligation to inform you of the progress or the completion of the rescission. You may not know until you see a refund of your down payment to your credit card or bank account.

Stay off the phone with them. All they will do is try to re-negotiate and change your mind.

Go celebrate that you dodged this bullet.

After the money is safely back in your hands, and if timeshare still interests you, c'mon back and do some reading to learn about buying resale, and renting and not buying a timeshare at all. One sentence in your original post stuck with me. Timeshare is NOT an INVESTMENT!

Jim

magus95

Reaction score
RELAX!

You have done everything more than properly. This seller will try any- and everything to get you to sign up, but even THEY know not to mess with the rescission laws. They WILL process your rescission. That said, they are under no obligation to inform you of the progress or the completion of the rescission. You may not know until you see a refund of your down payment to your credit card or bank account.

Stay off the phone with them. All they will do is try to re-negotiate and change your mind.

Go celebrate that you dodged this bullet.

After the money is safely back in your hands, and if timeshare still interests you, c'mon back and do some reading to learn about buying resale, and renting and not buying a timeshare at all. One sentence in your original post stuck with me. Timeshare is NOT an INVESTMENT!

Jim
Hello Jim!

Thank you so much for responding my post! I really appreciate it. I am in more relaxed now. Do you know how many days do they have to make my refund?

When should l expect them to do that?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Jim!

Thank you so much for responding my post! I really appreciate it. I am in more relaxed now. Do you know how many days do they have to make my refund?

When should l expect them to do that?
We think it depends on when the refund hits your account. It could take up to 45 days from when they start the rescission. Probably won't take that long. We know it's stressful, but just know you did your part as required.

You did good to free yourself of those leeches.

magus95

Reaction score
We think it depends on when the refund hits your account. It could take up to 45 days from when they start the rescission. Probably won't take that long. We know it's stressful, but just know you did your part as required.

You did good to free yourself of those leeches.
Thank you so much! I’ll update you on this! Thank you so much!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

how much was your total contract for? Westgate does not need to alert you that they received or processed the rescission. they are bound by law to do so as long as you followed the instructions on cancelling correctly.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the OP reported the post instead of hitting reply i guess...here was the comment:

"The total of the contract was for 10 000 dollars plus Manteinance fee

My down payment was 1100
Hopefully they give me back! I sent the letter on cancelation on my ten days now l am in day 12"

magus95

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I’ll Update you on this! Thank you so much!
A question, Should l expect to receive the full downpayment?

I sent 3 letters. I have the proof of the first one ( but not a receipt it was through UPS) (the letters are notarized English and Spanish version)

I have the return receipt for the second one. (They are notarized) (English and Spanish versions) but this is not a certified email it is a “priority email”. I have the receipt back. Sent via Usps

The third letter is a Spanish and English version of the “certified email return receipt” (it could not be notarized because it was Sunday and that day was Day 9)

I am just worried because the third one is the one that was sent the way the contract says to send but it is not notarized.

Please help me and sorry for asking again.

magus95

Reaction score
1/24/23 Update everyone: We actually received a confirmation letter of cancellation from Westgate on 1/24/23 with a receipt for refund also enclosed. I was completely shocked. Again, we are so thankful for finding this site and taking action immediately because we saved a crap load of money!!!
Thanks for sharing this. I sent my letter and l am nervous about waiting for them. I called them they told me it would take 20 days. I want to ask you if your letter of cancelation was notarized.?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent my letter and l am nervous about waiting for them. I called them they told me it would take 20 days. I want to ask you if your letter of cancelation was notarized.?
Rescission correspondence signature(s) do not need to be notarized, but the cancellation letter must be signed by all buyers who originally signed the contract.

By applicable (Federal) law, 100% refund must be issued within 45 days, but it rarely takes more that 2-3 weeks.

Stay off the phone with these people. No good can possibly come from any such unnecessary (and more important, legally meaningless) phone conversations.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Years ago when we bought into Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo and decided it was a mistake in the first 24 hours we had the help of a Timeshare Executive at a different Timeshare. He suggested strongly that we have our rescission Notarized in San Jose del Cabo. He reviewed what we typed up and gave us directions to a Photocopy Center and a Notary. We had several copies prepared and had each copy Notarized.

magus95

Reaction score
Rescission correspondence signature(s) do not need to be notarized, but the cancellation letter must be signed by all buyers who originally signed the contract.

By applicable (Federal) law, 100% refund must be issued within 45 days, but it rarely takes more that 2-3 weeks.

Stay off the phone with these people. No good can possibly come from any such unnecessary (and more important, legally meaningless) phone conversations.
Thank you so much! I will wait till the end of the month. Thanks for all the help.