• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian Users of Chase Marriott Card [Affiliation Ends 3/15/18]

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Not sure how many of those might be, but just saw thread on FT. Apparently Chase has discontinued this card in Canada. It's showing as Scotia Bank on credit reports now and no new applications are being accepted as of Sept 5. They are expecting to be transitioned to a new type of card.

I am US based, but thought may be of interest to some on this board.

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the weird thing is that both myself and a friend got a letter from Chase revoking our cards, last week, without reason! i called and no one could give me an answer. not the supervisor. not the supervisor's supervisor. All they would say is that it had nothing to do with credit score or previous 5 years payment history. It was something involving "terms & conditions" but would not elaborate.

i emailed Marriott customer service and they blew me off, they said to call Chase.......which i did twice and got no answers.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
The Canadian Marriott card from Chase is junk compared to the benefits available to USA cardholders, so perhaps a new company would put us on the same benefits as in USA.

Scotiabank in Canada is a great company and Canadian.

I haven't as of yet received any notification of change.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The Canadian Marriott / Chase card has no foreign transaction fees -

Not many Canadian credit cards offer this .

Last edited:

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
The Canadian Marriott / Chase card has no foreign transaction fees -

Not many Canadian credit cards offer this .

My Amex Business, Amex SPG, and MBNA cards do.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

I had the Amex SPG card (business) and I don't recall it being free of foreign transaction fees (this is the reason why I got the Marriott card after the merger). Can't find a source online - can you point me in the right direction?

The Canadian credit card market needs a shakeup. First CIBC sold my Aeroplan account to TD, Costco switched us over to Capital One MC from Amex (but went with Visa in US). Now my Marriott card will be gone soon. I think it's time to jump back south of the border - combined with the hike in taxes here financially it doesn't make sense to live in Canada any more.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

I will check with Amex Canada on the foreign transaction fees . I know if I use my Amex Gold in Mexico - it converts to American dollars then Canadian - so you get double wacked .
It is a good card - for use in Canada only .I leave it home when wer go to Puerto Vallarta .

I do not have an Amex Business card .

I have a MBNA - Canada card as well . I have used it in the States a couple of time due to the monthly closing date . I will have to check the fine print . I thought there was a 2.5 % foreign transaction fee on top of the exchange rate from USD .

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll try to remember to double check again with Amex where I have 3 cards...the regular (I got in 1969), gold, and SPG. They told me, some time ago, the only card I shouldn't use in USA is the 'regular' card as the other two (with higher annual fees) don't charge for foreign transactions so I don't use it. I think last year I'm guessing I put about $300k on them (mostly business) but don't think that would give me an edge.

My Marriott Visa just came in via snail mail and show a $0.28 exchange rate premium (sounds high) on my recent 3 Marriott weeks in USA but it's not supposed to have extra transaction fees. No mention of any change to Scotiabank. I might ask one of my financial editorial writers to check it out for a possible article.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the Marriott Visa from Chase Canada (and have used it for years) and haven't heard a thing about this either. Went to the website where I check my card transactions and see no mention of it at all. But there has been a notice on there for quite a long time about Scotia Bank customers not being able to see anything on this URL after January, 2017 and needing to use a Scotia Bank website so it appears that there has been some sort of relationship with Scotia for quite a while. I guess I'll just carry on using it until I get some sort of official notice!

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
i know AMEX Platinum does charge an exchange fee. Marriott and Rogers are the only two i found that do not charge the fee.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just called in to Marriott Canada Chase and the gal told me that she is an employee of Scotiabank as they do the account payment/processing for the Marriott VISA for Canadians. I was having password trouble signing in and called to make the necessary password changes and to find out if it's going to Scotiabank, but she says it is not.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Chase Canada Marriott Credit Card and I just called the number on the back of my card for a credit increase. Took all of 5 minutes. No mention of any services changing. Looks like business as usual!

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Chase Canada Marriott Credit Card and I just called the number on the back of my card for a credit increase. Took all of 5 minutes. No mention of any services changing. Looks like business as usual!

My SPG Amex card charges foreign transaction fees.

I also have a Chase Marriott Visa card and have received no information about any changes.

I assume that the SPG Amex card will be cancelled when Starwood fully merges with Marriott.

If the information is correct, hopefully Marriott will provide a new card to us Canadians.
Otherwise, we'll no longer get either Starwood or Marriott points for all our spending.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[Threads merged.]

Got a form letter today (January 15, 2018) from Chase that "the relationship between JPMorgan Chase Bank National Association in Canada and Marriott International Inc. ended on December 31, 2017. For this reason your Marriott Rewards Visa Card ending in 1234 will be closed as of March 15, 2018."

It never offered the benefits the USA cards provided, but now the waiting game begins hoping Marriott is going to find another bank. Rumour has it that Scotiabank will take it over...but surprised Marriott hasn't contacted current cardholders.

I don't know if there is any change with the USA cards.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
There has been some credit card shuffling with US based chains, such as Hilton. However, I haven't heard anything about upcoming changes with the Marriott branded credit card.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
[Thanks! Link deleted after threads merged.]

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think Marriott just re-upped their agreements with Chase and Amex for their Marriott Rewards and SPG card programs.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Got a form letter today (January ...

I received same today (Jan 18 ) as well
Now looking for a Canadian card with no foreign transaction fees.

The free night certificate for a prorated annual fee may work out well .

middleoforchid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc, HPrincess, DSV2, MKO, MARtrust pts. Hokulani
Try Hometrust Visa

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Threads merged.]

Have notice from Chase Bank that their relationship with Marriott has ended as of March 15th 2018.....I now need to get a new Visa card....any Canadians in the same boat? any suggestion on Visa card to get? Like the idea of no foreign transaction fees

Wei339

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko olina
I read on Marriott Insiders from one of the community managers that Marriott would be sending out an announcement on January 19, Friday concerning the card. Hopefully there will be a Marriott Visa card announced affiliated with Scotia Bank as a replacement card with similar benefits.

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Home Trust Visa does have no foreign transaction fees......Rogers Platinum MasterCard does charge a 2.5% foreign transaction fee BUT gives you a 4% cash back credit on any foreign transactions hence it actually pays you 1.5% on any foreign transaction purchase.....Just FYI

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got my letter too. Hope they come up with a plan soon for a new issuer. At least when CIBC and Air Canada ended their relationship, they had a plan well in place of the termination date to convert everyone over to TD. Would say this is poor on Marriott's part.

I have some Marriott hotel reservations after the end date and don't want to give up the extra Marriott points when charging it to a Marriott credit card.

RBERR1

TUG Member
Reaction score
just got this email.. which effectively says nothing..

Find out the latest news about your credit card account.

Richard

Find & Reserve

mrcc_can_hero.jpg

WHEN ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER DOOR OPENS NEW OPPORTUNITIES

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

With change comes new adventures, and we're here to reassure you that exciting news is on the horizon! We will be reaching out in the coming weeks with more information.

If you have any questions about your credit card account, you can call 1-866-705-6775 to speak to a Chase representative.